Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Check out this ridiculous gear.

Not sure where to go from here. Probably can get the abyssal rune without too much difficulty. Would like to get glaciate online eventually but that will take a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

Not sure where to go from here. Probably can get the abyssal rune without too much difficulty. Would like to get glaciate online eventually but that will take a while.

Holy poo poo that gear...did you scum to get it because that might be one of the best non-multi Zigg sets I have ever seen.

Really you can go anywhere. Abyss will be a joke and Pan should be a cakewalk barring something incredibly unlucky like being dropped into the middle of hellion island. Actually nevermind you can just slouch it.

If you dump all exp into conj and ice magic then even with orange crystal plate glaciate will come online insanely fast, especially doing pan and wrecking lords. Have fun with that readout...might never see another one like it!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ewar Woowar posted:

+0 pair of boots? Quit and start a new character.

More seriously, that trident's pretty uninspiring unless you're just using it as a statstick. Remember that holy wrath is a percentage damage increase, not a flat increase. Might be worth picking up a higher-tier polearm as melee backup. You have ridiculous defenses & Step From Time so it's not a huge safety issue, but it's nice not taking a year to poke things to death.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Person Dyslexic posted:

Holy poo poo that gear...did you scum to get it because that might be one of the best non-multi Zigg sets I have ever seen.

Really you can go anywhere. Abyss will be a joke and Pan should be a cakewalk barring something incredibly unlucky like being dropped into the middle of hellion island. Actually nevermind you can just slouch it.

If you dump all exp into conj and ice magic then even with orange crystal plate glaciate will come online insanely fast, especially doing pan and wrecking lords. Have fun with that readout...might never see another one like it!

Funnily enough I've done no scumming at all, just insanely good luck!

Yeah I'm putting everything into Ice and Conjurations. 18 and 12 respectively atm.

Haifisch posted:

+0 pair of boots? Quit and start a new character.

More seriously, that trident's pretty uninspiring unless you're just using it as a statstick. Remember that holy wrath is a percentage damage increase, not a flat increase. Might be worth picking up a higher-tier polearm as melee backup. You have ridiculous defenses & Step From Time so it's not a huge safety issue, but it's nice not taking a year to poke things to death.

Haha yeah the plain boots make me do a little twitching. Hopefully I find something better in a zig or something.

I have a +8 demon trident of electrocution but I just cleared out Crypt so went with Holy. Think it's worth using the former? I don't really want to use a two-hander as I haven't found anything great and have 25 points in shields. Given the luck I'm having I'll probably find the Lance soon :getin:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

beogh secret power, warbird formation

increase flapping speed...!

Ewar Woowar posted:

I have a +8 demon trident of electrocution but I just cleared out Crypt so went with Holy. Think it's worth using the former?
Absolutely. Demon trident's increased base damage is great, and elec is great against almost everything.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

IronicDongz posted:

beogh secret power, warbird formation

increase flapping speed...!

Absolutely. Demon trident's increased base damage is great, and elec is great against almost everything.

I giggled

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Gentlemen, I come bearing sad news.

The last mountain dwarf has been slain.

Wiglaf is no more.

quote:

Combine Wiglaf and Donald

Wiglaf and Donald are both old uniques with beloved flavour ("is a dwarf",
"complains about everything just like us"), and a mechanical basis almost
solely on heavy-armoured melee and decent chances for a shield. Donald has
a coinflip chance for his shield to be reflection-branded plus a decent
chance for a brand plus the capability to swim, while Wiglaf has a 66%
chance for a shield plus Might / Haste invocations from a very old version
of Okawaru that somewhat reflects the more modern Heroism and Finesse.

They've also got very poor killstats and general power levels for their
midgame / endgame placement. The endless power spiral of buffs and updates
and vault control meant to address the bland and bloated nature in Crawl's
midgame / endgame over the years has introduced stronger characters and
stronger nearby monsters. Donald floats around merfolk impaler and orc
warlord levels of stats and equipment, both monsters reasonable to see with
much mixed company in the branch ends of his depths. Wiglaf is in an awkward
limbo of simplicity in-between and superceded by Rupert and Mennas.

They could simply get higher damage numbers, guaranteed equipment quality,
or earlier placements. It is also somewhat valuable to keep around simpler
uniques that aren't horribly threatening, and they do not contribute much
to information overhead. Still, they're also both plain.

With Donald's flavour ringing truer and truer over the years, and with
Wiglaf representing a removed race and and an ancient version of a god,
Donald takes Wiglaf's Might and Haste (and slim chance for crystal plate)
as Wiglaf joins the retirement home alongside Duane, Norbert, Michael,
Francis, and many others. Donald is cut from Labyrinths at the same time,
though- he's already a bit much there. For now, to avoid wrangling out
more flavour edits and with the invocations still inaccurate Donald isn't
explicitly a priest of Okawaru, though it wouldn't be too much for him to
be made one either- others can decide on this.

Joseph's tile and description gets Wiglaf's stupid-looking hat:
thanks, ontoclasm.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Person Dyslexic posted:

Even with those stats and +1 wiz it's going to take him an eternity to get glaciate online while wearing CPA.

With Vehumet (+2 wiz) and regular int (maybe 25ish) you're looking at roughly 22 levels in the relevant skills and high spellcasting to get a level 9 reliable in robes. The extra int helps but it's not going to offset the CPA penalty, which will be huge even with that strength and 27 armour skill.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

the Orb of Zot posted:

Wiglaf is no more.

Wiglaf and Donald ought to be merged into Donglaf - a horrible mistake of Cigotuvi's genetic experiments set free to wander the dungeon looking for curemut

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Oh, while it was forgotten in the thread, Maud has been merged into Urug.

RIP reference to a Nethack reference

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Fuckkk the uniques are taking a beating lately.

First they came for Norris, and I said a bit because I liked Norris. When they came for Donald and Wiglaf (who used to terrify me) I said nothing because I just heard about it. When they came for Maud I got a bit sad... and then forgot about everything else

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Venom mages are so much nicer now that they don't self poison via radiance.

It's a shame that it's still awful unless you find ignite poison and/or poison arrow though. Otherwise you better hope you find the tools to change your build and have the racial perks to get good at it fast or very quickly half the monsters you meet become [unkillable, avoid fighting] which is loads of fun. The background would be so much better with ignite poison in the starter book. It wouldn't even be that much of a power creep, meph+ignite is 6 mana and 5 different spell schools, both rely on power a fair deal and the combo is really unreliable at lower power especially if you can't resist meph. Radiance+Ignite is good damage but it's much worse for mana efficiency than just radiance and takes multiple turns of standing still in los of enemies instead of turning radiance on and kiting.

Being able to wipe out orc and killer bee packs is neat but it's not worth it when you are totally ineffectual against the many, many enemies with rpois.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Wiglaf's hat on Joseph just isn't the same. :smith:

Mostly it doesn't take up a comically large portion of the tile anymore, but still.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I won't miss Wiglaf at all. the most boring unique. goodbye!!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Are there any uniques that malmut?

Also, are people running into less wizlabs lately? I haven't seen one in ages it feels like, though I do usually die stupidly in S branches as I've been trying to get mummy/octopode wins.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

Mnoleg, but through melee and summoning malmuters

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yo can we get a unique neqoxec that's like a hydra with 12 heads and each one can malmutate every turn?

Thaaaanks

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Actually, I forgot ice devils or whatever can cast torment, because I'd tabbed through single ones of them a bunch and they never did, then in the last room a conga line of them got bored of waiting to face me and :gibs:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Let's get a unique Cacodemon who only has Malmutate and Summon Eyeballs as its spell slots.
Also permanent Haste on it so it gets to do those spells twice every turn.
Also also special combat so it ignores psychically attacking and only ever casts and move.

And it shatters all your Potions of cMut on its death.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Actually, I forgot ice devils or whatever can cast torment, because I'd tabbed through single ones of them a bunch and they never did, then in the last room a conga line of them got bored of waiting to face me and :gibs:
Ice Devils can't torment (unless I missed some change somewheres). Ya' hit the Ice Cave with the fiend at the end.

If the front of the cave is filled with a bunch of demons be prepared for the fiend at the end.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 12, 2016

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yo can we get a unique neqoxec that's like a hydra with 12 heads and each one can malmutate every turn?

Thaaaanks

I should make a DCSS branch called DCSS Roulette where every enemy has the power to malmut but malmut is now weighted to give you 50% good mut 50% bad mut.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

Also, are people running into less wizlabs lately? I haven't seen one in ages it feels like, though I do usually die stupidly in S branches as I've been trying to get mummy/octopode wins.

I've been playing for a year and a half and have only ever seen one wizlab the entire time - and it was probably a year or more ago. Granted, I'm not very good, but I wish they popped up more often as I remember thinking how cool it was, flavor-wise, the one time that one appeared.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

the Orb of Zot posted:

Wiglaf is no more.

Some more anti-dwarf bullshit up in here :mad:

Never forget that these devs are fundamentally bad people!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
People talk sometimes about beogh being not good in zot because the orcs just die, but I'm liable to believe they're just not playing beogh right.

Go in with 4 orcs...

Murder everything easily with your 4 orcs, kill 2 Orbs of Fire in a row just by smiting them 4 times...

Get to the orb with 4 orcs...

Chop your way through a brimstone fiend, multiple aliches and a pan lord in a row with your 4 orcs...

Leave dungeon with 4 orcs.

Beogh is powerful, and my good friend. I bless every day these burly handsome orcs carry me above the rabble of the dungeon

GreyjoyBastard posted:

these dudes(ice devils) can't:
but these dudes(ice fiends) can:

also ice devils only hit for 16 plain+11-32 cold damage, while ice fiends hit for like 25 plain+18-53 cold damage, twice per turn(so up to 106 bonus cold damage).
and also have 3d27(81 max) bolt of cold

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

Remove monster-cast Death's Door

Having a chance of invincibility doesn't work so well as a monster spell, since
it's sometimes just not cast at all, and otherwise just extends the fight for
a while without being very likely to change the outcome. It can also be forced
by reading fear at the caster, which is a very weird interaction.
Did anything but Nergalle cast DDoor? I don't think I've seen it pop up anywhere else.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think so, and I'm very glad it's gone. Nergalle was really annoying because of it

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It never actually killed me but I could see it working if she had a bunch of spectral summons up and then did the DD

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I had to flee a couple times when I was on even terms with Nergalle and then they cast DDoor with at least a couple spectral orc knights or a warlord out.

Then I smashed their face in after I skipped that level for a bit and gained a couple more levels.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 12, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
demonspawn with lajatang of speed, nightstalker, powered by death, regen amulet and following makhleb... time to immolate V5 :getin:

e:

:kheldragar:

I just found the Sword of Power, as well-I might actually skill into using that for kicks with this build.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 12, 2016

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
You realize the Sword of Power is an unbranded great sword that will only have a +17 enchant with your current HP, right?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

wouldn't you get ripostes with it, though? that seems cool, and also good.

Hey CanOfWorms, I really like your tile-work. Any chance you'd take requests? :v:

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Mara showed up on Snake 4. Welp, guess I'm not getting that rune for a little bit.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

You realize the Sword of Power is an unbranded great sword that will only have a +17 enchant with your current HP, right?

It's sad how many sweet fixedarts are totally outclassed by a +9 weapon with a decent brand.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Can Of Worms posted:

+17 is really loving good, though.

also it's +24 now and I'm just wading through pan with it. regen amulet+powered by death+mak for HP, with both Augmentation and Sword of Power to reward high HP, is really fun and good

e: died to gloorx but I wasn't even using the sword atm, was just being stupid

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 13, 2016

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
A great sword has the same base damage as a lajatang though, so assuming the lajatang is at min delay, with enough enchantments a lajatang of speed will outclass a +20ish great sword.

Someone Awful! posted:

wouldn't you get ripostes with it, though? that seems cool, and also good.

Hey CanOfWorms, I really like your tile-work. Any chance you'd take requests? :v:
Sure, go hog wild, I guess???

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
when you get a cool unrand and can get by with it you are, IMO, basically required to use it, especially if it has goofy synergies with other stuff you have

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Smdh at not jamming on every unidentified artefact you see & using it until another one takes its place

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
What's the relationship between the armor skill and how effectively you use armor? Is there any minimum armor skill required to use certain types of armor?

I just got a fire dragon armor on a troll so I'm wondering where I should train armor up to. I've got strength in spades so that's not a limitation.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Pretty sure armour skill doesn't work that way, just strength.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Armor skill does affect how many "your [armor] prevents you from hitting the [thing]" misses you get, but I'd generally ignore that factor unless it's noticably hampering your damage output. In general you want to train armor skill for extra AC, and stop when the returns diminish too much for your tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Alternatively, play a MiBe and train armour up to 27 because you don't really have that many things to train :)

• Locked thread