Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Who is going to pay for The Wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh remember when Code Pink ran that full page "Betray-us" ad

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

gently caress i forgot he was australian

The Real Paddy posted:

If Petraeus weren't enjoying his retirement so much, that is who Trump should pick, because it would serve as a constant reminder of Hillary's email situation. Now, obviously the situation is different, but Trump could conflate it. Walking sex scandal in the white house? Let's talk about Bill! Etc. But of course, Petraeus isn't that stupid.

except he plead guilty to his charges and deliberately leaked classified intel, like that would be easy to hit

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Ugh remember when Code Pink ran that full page "Betray-us" ad

That was Move On, and they raised a ton of money from that, if I recall correctly.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Joementum posted:

(I laugh at him now, but decent chance Cruz wins it all in 2020)

worse than a trump presidency

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

yeah if jewel hadnt found it i would've, he invented the second best meme itt the others were derivatives

best is fox ironic's trump *click* because it's actual polling truth which as we all know is the best kind of truth

yeah i just use the site: google trick when i go a-huntin' for some hot GOP collapse thread memes

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

"This fuckin' guy!"

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
shoutout to Joementum for bringing up Chapo Trap House, extremely good poo poo

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

its creepy that my stupid poo poo is on google but i guess i should've thought of that like literally 50,000 posts ago

i still cant get over the max headroom reference and how perfect tay was. far, far too perfect for this world or any other

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Real Paddy posted:

That was Move On, and they raised a ton of money from that, if I recall correctly.

Well its the worst political pun ever

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Petraeus 2020

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

People say Pence isn't progressive but let's be real - first living skeleton draped in human skin as gov...wait DAMNIT RICK SCOTT

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
I'm starting to think that Trump's VP is going to be someone completely out of left field. Like Jeff Sessions or Sarah Palin.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Fox Ironic posted:

I'm starting to think that Trump's VP is going to be someone completely out of left field. Like Jeff Sessions or Sarah Palin.

or he'd do something like football clubs do with the 12th man thing

trump/america 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

this talk about betray-us reminded me of this article i liked about paula broadwell, the media ghoulishly stalking her while she was staying at her brother's house, and the old-money-rear end house her brother apparently rented in the first place - having a rich family is a good place to start when you want to end up famous, as a mistress or otherwise

also discusses the various perks she got in her time as a national security personality, including hawking some loving gun in a commercial

http://exiledonline.com/dc-stakeout-watching-the-hacks-watch-paula-broadwell/

funny how the world works

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Epic High Five posted:

People say Pence isn't progressive but let's be real - first living skeleton draped in human skin as gov...wait DAMNIT RICK SCOTT

Pence has a very good Neural Net; a learning computer.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Joementum posted:

Oh my god I think you just legitimately gave me nightmares.

Given: Neither party has held the White House for more than 3 consecutive terms since the whole Roosevelt-Truman thing
Given: After Hillary (probably) wins in November, Cruz is the one best positioned to be the challenger in 2020

Prove: That Cruz will oh god no. No no no no. I'd rather have Trump. :ohdear:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
We're gonna look back on 2016 fondly for how popular the candidates were, in 2020 when both Cruz and Hillary have 30% favorability ratings

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I mean, Hilllary will probably be severely hated by 2020, but we've also got 4 more years of the growing demographic advantage by then sooo... still gonna be tough

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Cruz is going to get assassinated by Christopher Walken after they shake hands

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Slate Action posted:

We're gonna look back on 2016 fondly for how popular the candidates were, in 2020 when both Cruz and Hillary have 30% favorability ratings
It's gotten so much more insane every election cycle, in 2020 we're going to have 50 GOP primary candidates and Rob Morrow will be the surprise winner. Also the GOP will have somehow entrenched itself even further with less of the vote and will have sectarian violence among the various tea party wings on a daily basis. And we'll think... 2016, those were the days of reason

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think we can all agree that a President Trump who accomplishes every campaign goal, hell, everything he sets his mind to would be a better president than Ted Cruz

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

It's gotten so much more insane every election cycle, in 2020 we're going to have 50 GOP primary candidates and Rob Morrow will be the surprise winner. Also the GOP will have somehow entrenched itself even further with less of the vote and will have sectarian violence among the various tea party wings on a daily basis. And we'll think... 2016, those were the days of reason

What happens to delegate allocation in states with a 15% or 20% viability threshold? I guess it's random, with some being FPTP and others sending unpledged delegates to the convention?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Joementum posted:

i hop boosted is still around

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Powered Descent posted:

Oh my god I think you just legitimately gave me nightmares.

Given: Neither party has held the White House for more than 3 consecutive terms since the whole Roosevelt-Truman thing
Given: After Hillary (probably) wins in November, Cruz is the one best positioned to be the challenger in 2020

Prove: That Cruz will oh god no. No no no no. I'd rather have Trump. :ohdear:

They won't run Cruz, he's too toxic and difficult to work with. The GOP is just glad he's out of the running this year, it's why they're putting up with so much of Trump's BS and why they won't try to gently caress him at the convention. Because the alternative (Cruz) is worse. Better a Conman than a True Believer.

Besides, everyone who ran for the nom this cycle is tainted. They'll never be nominated after the poo poo show that is/was 2016.

My guess is Paul Ryan mounts his run in 2020, swings moderate on social issues and picks a charming Governor like Sandoval for VP. Either that or Mike Pence or Terry Branstad; I have a feeling they may want to run a Governor against Clinton

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

i hop boosted is still around

RAFAEL CRUZ WAS THE TRUE CHOSEN ALL ALONG

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Aliquid posted:

What happens to delegate allocation in states with a 15% or 20% viability threshold? I guess it's random, with some being FPTP and others sending unpledged delegates to the convention?
thats where the sectarian violence comes into the picture

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fox Ironic posted:

They won't run Cruz, he's too toxic and difficult to work with. The GOP is just glad he's out of the running this year, it's why they're putting up with so much of Trump's BS and why they won't try to gently caress him at the convention. Because the alternative (Cruz) is worse. Better a Conman than a True Believer.

Besides, everyone who ran for the nom this cycle is tainted. They'll never be nominated after the poo poo show that is/was 2016.

My guess is Paul Ryan mounts his run in 2020, swings moderate on social issues and picks a charming Governor like Sandoval for VP. Either that or Mike Pence or Terry Branstad; I have a feeling they may want to run a Governor against Clinton

They need to avoid having someone with outside funding swoop in and steal their show again because after this their lovely voterbase is going to think Trump wasn't enough of an rear end in a top hat to win and they're going to want to vote for a Lee/Gowdy ticket. Trump short-circuited their little shindig with a goddamn pack of gum and couch change. Now the virulent money men of their party know they can get the nomination on the cheap.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Karl Sharks posted:

okay that's fair, i didn't mean it as snarky or anything btw, just don't remember seeing it before but it's a big thread

what would you expect to see if he did turn it around? did you see the thing about the RNC having like a third of their expected campaign staff in some key states?

I'm not sure I see many scenarios where Trump turning his personal campaign around against a weak candidate does much as far as translating to wider downballot victories, probably just enough to keep majorities.

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 13, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Aliquid posted:

i think it's this convention that has the responsibility for setting the rules for the 2020 primary, isn't it? granting that it's not the final word, but i thought i heard that the 2012 convention's decisions ended up determining the insanity this thread has apparently recorded for google posterity, among other sources

so my prediction is that the rnc will once again be fighting the last war, and whatever rule changes they decide on will backfire hilariously. i don't even know what they'll do and i doubt they do either - i think making things as close to perfectly proportional as possible will be the best move they can make, plus adding superdelegates if possible, but that would basically be 'let's be like the democrats' so i doubt they do it

if cruz' delegates have as much power in this convention as it seems like they might, maybe they'll throw more weight behind caucuses and find a way to give midwestern red states an advantage, in an attempt to make cruz' 2016 map a winning one

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

This election seems to show that Cruz can do relatively well even if all his colleagues hate him.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Colton Burpo 2020
President for Real

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Atrocious Joe posted:

This election seems to show that Cruz can do relatively well even if all his colleagues hate him.

In the primary.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Aliquid posted:

i think we can all agree that a President Trump who accomplishes every campaign goal, hell, everything he sets his mind to would be a better president than Ted Cruz

Ted's goals are literally twofold:

Swiftly and brutally implement basically Sharia Law

Start a chain reaction of nuclear exchanges beginning in Isreal that will kill all human life

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Fox Ironic posted:

i kinda think that sandoval is the lieberman of the gop a decade later - the other party fears him because they know they'd lose votes to him, but it's because he's fatally flawed in the view of important parts of his own party's coalition. not that i know that much about the guy but i think he presided over some tax increases and he's pro-abortion - and after all the dude is a brown

also im on the cruz as 2020 frontrunner bandwagon. we'll see how that plays out, obviously this poo poo isn't always safe to predict four and a half years in advance

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

They need to avoid having someone with outside funding swoop in and steal their show again because after this their lovely voterbase is going to think Trump wasn't enough of an rear end in a top hat to win and they're going to want to vote for a Lee/Gowdy ticket. Trump short-circuited their little shindig with a goddamn pack of gum and couch change. Now the virulent money men of their party know they can get the nomination on the cheap.

Maybe they run an bought-and-paid for Outsider then, someone with a cleaner slate and more charisma than Cruz, but still in their pocket. Maybe an Independent who pulls a Bernie and registers Republican just to run and then runs on a two, three issue platform. The winning issues for the 2016 GOP have been protectionism, immigration and soft nationalism. 2020? Two will carry over, but there will be something new too.

What are the 2020 issues going to be?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Oiled and Ready posted:

I'm not sure I see many scenarios where Trump turning his personal campaign around against a weak candidate does much as far as translating to wider downballot victories, probably just enough to keep majorities.

sorry, that point was mostly in reference to how trump, and even manafort it seems, tends to talk about how much the RNC infrastructure can do for his campaign rather than hiring as many staffers as a normal campaign

so if he was actually planning on relying at least somewhat on RNC staff to supplement/bolster his skeleton campaign staff then he's going to be out of luck since they're having trouble even reaching their own staffing goals and won't be able to devote any time to helping the presidential campaign

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Fox Ironic posted:

Who is "They"? You mean the toothless, powerless, fractured elites of the GOP?

And they will run... Paul Ryan? A man who is absolutely HATED by the GOP base... The people who vote in the primaries.

Cruz also runs the rules committee right now so good luck trying to make it HARDER for him to run in 2020... Letting Trump get the beating in 2016 maybe the best thing to happen to Cruz and that scares the poo poo out of me.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

i think it's this convention that has the responsibility for setting the rules for the 2020 primary, isn't it? granting that it's not the final word, but i thought i heard that the 2012 convention's decisions ended up determining the insanity this thread has apparently recorded for google posterity, among other sources

so my prediction is that the rnc will once again be fighting the last war, and whatever rule changes they decide on will backfire hilariously. i don't even know what they'll do and i doubt they do either - i think making things as close to perfectly proportional as possible will be the best move they can make, plus adding superdelegates if possible, but that would basically be 'let's be like the democrats' so i doubt they do it

if cruz' delegates have as much power in this convention as it seems like they might, maybe they'll throw more weight behind caucuses and find a way to give midwestern red states an advantage, in an attempt to make cruz' 2016 map a winning one

just call them "protectors of freedom" or something and it'll be okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Karl Sharks posted:

sorry, that point was mostly in reference to how trump, and even manafort it seems, tends to talk about how much the RNC infrastructure can do for his campaign rather than hiring as many staffers as a normal campaign

so if he was actually planning on relying at least somewhat on RNC staff to supplement/bolster his skeleton campaign staff then he's going to be out of luck since they're having trouble even reaching their own staffing goals and won't be able to devote any time to helping the presidential campaign

If Trump isn't actually sandbagging as far as money is concerned he's gonna have a bad time, but i bet most people didn't even expect him to "forgive" 50M. The RNC is gonna be a really good barometer, and if it's a shitshow I am not locked into my candidate preference

Also, Pence alone would seriously make me question Trump's ability to keep the circus going long enough to win

• Locked thread