Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I can tell you that as Chaos I regularly merge units and disband big guys with low hp to retrain them since it's faster and with sack and then raze you get plenty of favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I've beaten two campaigns and I'm fairly certain I'm bad at Total War due to not waging war every turn.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

also, removing units removes their earned xp
There are times that I actually get better units disbanding and retraining, plus VC really benefits from building tall instead of wide, so yeah, I've definitely disbanded whole armies and re-trained them a few turns later after I used the savings to build Vampire Keeps and Necromancer Towers everywhere. Kick someone's teeth in, wait for them to give you a big payoff for peace, use a few turns to re-consolidate, then go elsewhere/back after all the sack values are back to full.

I'd actually do this a lot more if disbanding a hero put them back into the hiring pool instead of just deleting them, which would be nice.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Disbanding units you have no immediate use for is often a good idea, the one caveat I would put on it is that sacking a bunch of troops in one go can tank your strength rating and make the AI more likely to attack you becuz, so be just a bit wary if you're not feeling super defensible just then.

Also yeah I basically fire all armies immediately after confederating, they can't hold anything regardless until your garrisons finish respawning and any actually decent generals can be hired back later.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Good answers all around.

Yeah if there's nothing going on and I'm in some weird peacetime, I just demolish all my booze joints / warboss tents and rile up some rebels for XP. :unsmigghh:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Orcish Prohibiton era was marked with strife unheard of, even amongst Greenskin kind

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Dandywalken posted:

The Orcish Prohibiton era was marked with strife unheard of, even amongst Greenskin kind

Well there are no Skaven to kill on my downtime (yet!) so swiping the booze and getting the boyz angry makes for good 'ead mashing for da WAAGH!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well, the Orc situation is a bit different, what with no trade to encourage peaceful relations, waaagh armies you don't pay upkeep on, and victory objectives that aren't really easily accomplished by military alliances.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Orks don't have to be at war to put up raiding camps.

(Orks should always be at war though)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Don't not be at war as Orks

derez always more stunties ta' kill

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fangz posted:

Well, the Orc situation is a bit different, what with no trade to encourage peaceful relations, waaagh armies you don't pay upkeep on, and victory objectives that aren't really easily accomplished by military alliances.

Also your waaagh armies will raid your own territory if you don't keep them busy.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also your waaagh armies will raid your own territory if you don't keep them busy.
I actually had tons of accidental revolts because i kept raiding my own provinces by mistake

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Can't confirm for sure but it does seem like Thorgrim is voiced by Richard Ridings of Dungeon Keeper game.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Basically yeah, by the time you're winding down one war/front if you're not getting your logistics/plotting for the next war spun up if not already committing, you are Greenskinning wrong. Keep in mind though by mid/endgame when you've conquered all the badlands and are expanding out: I would keep a mid sized unit down south in the badlands to deal with uprisings and the turn 100 viking invasion and the Skull-Takers events popping up.

So for anyone who's kind of Warhammer dumb like myself, I looked up a faction overview of the Beastmen to get a feel for them and I'm kind of liking how their units are set up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6k1GfTKSz8

Seems to me that it would make sense if they were more offensive than warriors of chaos, kind of like the differences between Greenskins and Dwarves in a sense. WoC being the hardened, armored expensive elite troop horde faction and the beastmen being the high damage, high charge bonus, low armor but numerous shock troop horde. They wind up getting a bit more troop flexibility having flying troops, archers, and the like while still having basic sword or spear linemen and calvary and a selection of monsters that could rival the Vampire Counts. If they try and keep it true to the tabletop, expect a WHOLE loving BUNCH of guerilla deployment, Total War Attilla Celt style.

I'm kind of hoping for Maligor to lead the faction with Khazrak The One-Eye and Taurox the Brass Bull as the backup legendary lords. It'd be interesting for a non-melee caster to be the face of the faction vs all the other 'main' faction leaders being brick shithouses in melee.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 12, 2016

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The beastmen will require a lot of unique models/animations, curious how much work that is for CA.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I am extremely hype for beastmen, i figured i would have to wait a long rear end time for them to show up and now it seems like they will be the first non-preorder DLC race even! Easily my favorite race in both style and lore!

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I'm rooting for Beastmen, but I'm skeptical that they'll have the wildly unique playstyle you guys are hoping for, given how generic Chaos ended up.

They had so much room there for distinctive and cool mechanics: raving berserkers uncontrollably charging the nearest enemy, champions getting possessed mid-battle, unpredictable sorcery rippling across the field.

Instead they ended up with almost an entire faction of melee dudes in armor with no special abilities, sorcerers with the same magic as other factions, and 2-3 melee monsters that look cool but still don't do anything particularly unique.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 13, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Avasculous posted:

I'm rooting for Beastmen, but I'm skeptical that they'll have the wildly unique playstyle you guys are hoping for, given how generic Chaos ended up.

They had so much room there for distinctive and cool mechanics: raving berserkers uncontrollably charging the nearest enemy, champions getting possessed mid-battle, unpredictable sorcery rippling across the field.

Instead they ended up with almost an entire faction of melee dudes in armor with no special abilities, sorcerers with the same magic as other factions, and 2-3 melee monsters that look cool but still don't do anything particularly unique.

I don't think people are saying anything terribly out there? Giving them hishio training isn't even new to Total War.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Avasculous posted:

Chaos have a unique play style though? They have heavily armored, highly elite infantry infantry backed by a variety of potent monsters in addition to decent skirmish cav and great shock cavalry. They're main weakness is that they if units are very pricey.

On the campaign map the high upkeep cost of their units and their lack of income buildings mean they need to constantly be on the move to pilfer untouched lands

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I'm hoping the beastman campaign mechanics are novel, if nothing else. Beastmen after all sort of infest the forests of the Empire. They don't really take territory or build cities. So I guess they'll be a horde army, but somehow they'll be able to survive amid Empire-held provinces? Maybe they'll be able to hide in forests or something? Maybe they'll share a mechanic with future wood elf and skaven factions, in that they'll be able to exist basically like parasites inhabiting the dark places of provinces ostensibly controlled by someone else?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

unwantedplatypus posted:

Chaos have a unique play style though? They have heavily armored, highly elite infantry infantry backed by a variety of potent monsters in addition to decent skirmish cav and great shock cavalry. They're main weakness is that they if units are very pricey.

On the campaign map the high upkeep cost of their units and their lack of income buildings mean they need to constantly be on the move to pilfer untouched lands

I meant more that there's nothing distinctively 'Chaos' about their units/mechanics. With the exception of the Spawn and Dragon Ogres, you could basically take their entire roster, reskin their models (black-> shiny), and call them "The Good Guy Knight Brigade" and no one would be the wiser.

You can't do that with Dwarves because you'd have to explain why TGGKB is so into tunneling and steampunk and moving slowly, or with VCs because you'd have to explain why TGGKB does an awful lot of necromancy and disintegrating instead of getting scared.

I think they did a really good job fleshing out the other factions and translating their fluff into mechanics, but Chaos feels pretty phoned-in by comparison.

Edit: I forgot about corruption, there is that. Although I think it's identical to VC corruption, but does less?

Fangz posted:

I don't think people are saying anything terribly out there? Giving them hishio training isn't even new to Total War.

I missed a couple of TW games. But uh, googling hishio just gives me a bunch of rice bowl recipes?

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 13, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Er, I meant Kisho training. As exhibited by the Hattori in Shogun 2.

It means almost their entire army gets vanguard deployment, and are effectively in a forest for the purposes of concealment anywhere.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Second bracket will be:

420gankmid against ZearothK

Greenskins------------Chaos
Empire------------------Greenskins
VC------------------------Empire
Dwarf-------------------Vampire Counts
Brettonia---------------Dwarfs

And Chomp vs. Doctor Crime

Vampire Counts--Empire
Empire---------------Greenskins
Brettonia------------VC
Orks------------------Brettonia
Chaos----------------Dwarves

The maps are the same 5 as the last set and the rules are the same. Just remember, no corner camping and a max of 2 ranged cav. :commissar:

Try to play these matches before the weekend but I'm not pressed for time or anything.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Pretty sure Beastmen are just going to be like Orcs but with even less missile troops and more vanguard deployments, gameplay wise. Hell someone listed a bunch of upcoming dlc files they found in the game and it looks like they may even get their own version of the Waaagh army mechanic. Should be fun.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
Just fought my first real battle against Chaos on hard. Sigvald, Taloghast the Ruthless and Taloghast the Fearless (twins?) with all chosen and axe throwing marauders. Had Manny stand on the battlefield and drop Sigvald and the Fearless where they stood (like a badass vampire lord would) then engaged. Still a rough battle since Chosen are tough...but...Talo the Ruthless and my Varghulf charged each other so hard that Talo split in two and his chaos horse kept running toward the horizon :black101:
Maybe this is the best TW!

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Korgan posted:

Hell someone listed a bunch of upcoming dlc files they found in the game and it looks like they may even get their own version of the Waaagh army mechanic.

Got a link to this by any chance?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Nash posted:

Got a link to this by any chance?

Should be in Triskelli's post here.

Otherwise it's here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I defeated the Warriors of Chaos. Turns out that a giant bird monster isn't so scary when you throw twelve thousand orcs at it. Three maxed out stacks with their own waaaghs in tow. The chaos warriors never stood a chance.

Now the Skaelings are the most powerful nation, launching viking raids against the Empire while I still have two more Greenskin armies with Waaaghs having fun raiding up north.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011
Quick question that I could probably find out if I googled. Do you control Waaagh armies on the battlefield, or are they allied AI?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ClassicFascist posted:

Quick question that I could probably find out if I googled. Do you control Waaagh armies on the battlefield, or are they allied AI?

You control them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Something you guys haven't talked about much is the music. This is probably the first time since Shogun 2 that I've liked the music and not found it completely forgettable. Rome 2 and Attila's music just blend into the background. Warhammer's music really sticks though. I get a lot of flashbacks to the great ambient campaign tracks from Rome 1 like Divinitus with the ethereal chanting on the campaign map.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Korgan posted:

Pretty sure Beastmen are just going to be like Orcs but with even less missile troops and more vanguard deployments, gameplay wise. Hell someone listed a bunch of upcoming dlc files they found in the game and it looks like they may even get their own version of the Waaagh army mechanic. Should be fun.

Honestly I don't even care how they play, so long as I have an awesome horde of blood-spattered goat men baying in madness at victory in a sea of charnel horror at the end of every battle.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Decided to try out my first hard/hard VC campaign. Holy poo poo they can get so broken so fast. I'm up to 12k income per turn. Banshees and necromancer heroes boost my income while also reducing construction costs and murdering the gently caress out of any enemy agent that so much as looks at me. Also focused to get every major -upkeep/recruitment research after doing all the main +income ones. The final chaos incursion was crushed by a single Banshee assassinating every legendary chaos lord and Manny moping the floor with the leader less stacks via lighting strike + invocation to heal all my casualties each battle. Now I'm just slowly taking over the entire northern part of the map. Eventually I'll kill the empire, but they love me right now. Oh, one of my vamp lords even got the title 'defiler of chaos' due to his constant murdering of marauder stacks. The undead are the saviors of mankind....for now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
what are important technologies for all the factions?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Onmi posted:

what are important technologies for all the factions?

The Doom Diver and Arachnarok Spider unlocks for Orcs. Everything else on their research tree is about making your other forces fightier.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Dwarves get all kinds of bonuses to diplomacy in their tree, empire get great buffs for the rank-and-file (armor and weapon damage I think). I remember Vampires having a ton of good techs just all over, but none jump to memory except that one gives bats +10 armor piercing damage.

Timboslice
Jan 4, 2008

The whole world must learn of our peaceful ways, by force!
Just getting into this as my first total war game. How do I know when I should be getting the growth building upgrades vs income? Do I just want to stack Growth buildings unless I plan on going into debt then demolish them later?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The early military dwarf techs are pretty solid IMO. Interlocking shields is IIRC +5 armour/defence to all shield units, so basically all your melee units bar hammerers, you've got some early buffs to quarrelers and later thunderers and some bonus, I think a +5 attack or defence, to miners and warriors with that militia tech. I think you can have that one in 6 turns. They've also got some corruption clearing techs way later on in the top line, and I like the public order buffs.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Timboslice posted:

Just getting into this as my first total war game. How do I know when I should be getting the growth building upgrades vs income? Do I just want to stack Growth buildings unless I plan on going into debt then demolish them later?

Depends, your primary settlement should have at least 2 growth buildings because it takes so much growth to upgrade to the level 5 cities but that is absolutely something you want done asap. If you're conquering new territories you should fill them out with a economy buildings, at least 1 growth building and public order building.

Choosing one province to be your military recruiting station (usually your starting zone) and ignoring military buildings in other provinces is fine for the early parts of your game, its only when you have provinces more than 3-4 turns march away from home that you really need new places to recruit armies from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
^^ pretty much just that.

Timboslice posted:

You want at least one growth building and unless you've got a very large buffer at least one public order building in every region (so the whole group of settlements). If I have a growth building in the province I lbuild the faction's basic income building or a trade building in the first slot of every new settlement I conquer, with the exception of VCs who can't do that. They pay themselves off three or four turns after they're built (VCs excepted again) and if they get raided a bit down the track you haven't lost much.

I very rarely upgrade growth buildings, it might be a mistake but the increase you get is so marginal compared to the gold cost. Exceptions are dwarves since their growth is poo poo anyway, and the special pasture buildings. You eventually want the level 2 garrison building in all your minor settlements, it gives them walls and the AI usually won't attack them. If they do they're forced to siege. The garrison will lose to almost any half-stack otherwise.

I don't normally run two growth buildings in the capital but tbh that's probably a mistake. Also make sure you don't building recruitment buildings that only go to tier 3 (usually your basic infantry line) in your capital settlement, you want to move those outside when you can. Every race or every race but orcs has a repeat of their starting recruitment building in one of their starting province's settlements. Don't be like me and try to be ~*super optimal*~ and demolish them the same turn you're recruiting from them, it doesn't work.

• Locked thread