Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm the biggest Klefbom booster on SAS I think. I love that pick, Klefbom owns and is the actual #1 D Edmonton thinks they traded for in Larsson. He just needs a full season of playing healthy.

e: don't undersell his offensive potential. Klefbom can score, he isn't strictly a shutdown guy

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm the biggest Klefbom booster on SAS I think. I love that pick, Klefbom owns and is the actual #1 D Edmonton thinks they traded for in Larsson. He just needs a full season of playing healthy.

e: don't undersell his offensive potential. Klefbom can score, he isn't strictly a shutdown guy

Trust me, if he was just a shutdown guy I wouldn't have gone with him. What I meant is that Klefbom has the size to fit well with Barrie, while the other options I looked at were smaller and wouldn't work so well with him.

There's also another forward I really wanted to go with but, if I didn't address the defence I'd probably wind up with Luca Sbisa on my top pair.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm on tilt from getting SmithSniped, so I will take fellow MIAMI REDHAWK Alec Martinez because I feel like he and McDonagh can cumulatively make an effective, puck moving and defensively responsible top pairing or something like that that isn't my homer showing

e: it's alec you stupid phone

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 13, 2016

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I have no idea how this person is still on the board with the recent run of defenders drafted and I was going to give VJeff some time because I felt bad but I'm not sure Jake Gardiner would make it through those two picks.

JVR - Thornton - ??

Karlsson - Vlasic
Gardiner - ?

We are the Edmonton Nega-Oilers, you will not score on us. JoelJoel is up.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I picked Drouin in the 5th round last year and I think his stock has gone up so it's not really surprising

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Since yaya picked after the stoppage I have till noon before I get skipped. Right?

VVV- not a sanctioned rule. Eat me.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 13, 2016

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

if you post when it's your turn and don't pick you get skipped

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
seriously who cares just pick. it's not like anyone is putting effort into writing up their picks anyway.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

E: fine, whatever, gimme Ekholm.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 13, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JoelJoel posted:

E: fine, whatever, gimme Ekholm.

noooooooooo

e: more seriously I think it's fine to take your time, I just want to see more actual explanations and writeups. we've run through this a bunch of times now, we all generally know who these guys are, I think it's more interesting when people explain why they made their pick.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jordan7hm posted:

noooooooooo

e: more seriously I think it's fine to take your time, I just want to see more actual explanations and writeups. we've run through this a bunch of times now, we all generally know who these guys are, I think it's more interesting when people explain why they made their pick.

Well, yeah, and writing them up is what I enjoy most about doing this.

Anyway, on the fly but: Mattias is--much like his defensive partner--young, fancy and regular good, and signed to an absurdly good contract (off the top of my head something like 3.5 for 6 years). I think he's super underrated because of the ridiculous Nashville D. Unlike Ellis, I don't think he's a first unit pp guy but he put up great 5v5 points last season. Given the chance he's easily a top line guy and has still has room to grow his game. He and Ellis are great point producers and, iirc, have excellent shot suppression numbers. He's big, not slow, moves the puck, and very is well rounded. Bit of a late bloomer (like allalmost all good d-men) and his points spiked a bit last year but the Dallas Stars are confident that Mattias will build on his big play last year and easily jump into the #2 role effectively.

Menamino is up followed by that salty Sharks fan.

E:

Benn - Krejci - Stone
Ekholm - Ellis

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 13, 2016

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I'm gonna take Nikolaj Ehlers. No idea how to gauge this guy's value but since dudes like Drouin are starting to go I figured he'd be up soon too.

was torn on him or some more established players but decided to go with him cuz I like really fast dudes with good shots. It also allows me to continue fulfilling my dream of surrounding John Tavares with fast skaters who can gain the zone rather than throw the puck to him in the neutral zone and stand around hugging the boards watching while he gets swarmed by 4 dudes like back in the Matt Moulson days of his youth.

Plus Ehlers actually had a decent rookie year with solid fancy stats (and a low sh%) so I expect him to have a strong second season. It also allows me to bump Kucherov down to the second line and as I watched him carry a line singlehandedly in the postseason I know he's capable of dealing with it

Marchand - Tavares - Ehlers
- - Kucherov

Tanev

tofes and then Furnaceface are up next

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I forgot about writing them up because I'm dumb.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

This was a real hard pick for me. I have a list of about 10 centers and even though there's a winger I really want I don't know if any of the centers will make it back to me and I can't live with myself if I don't have a good second line center.

The Buffalo Sabers select Tyler Johnson

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

top 10 value this late, real solid

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
poo poo, Ekholm and Ehlers were #1 and #2 on my list. Time to re-think things a bit before my pick comes up.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

tofes posted:

This was a real hard pick for me. I have a list of about 10 centers and even though there's a winger I really want I don't know if any of the centers will make it back to me and I can't live with myself if I don't have a good second line center.

The Buffalo Sabers select Tyler Johnson

Not sure how a top 10 pick like him dropped this far

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

furnace face is yp

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Calgary says gently caress yo offense, were taking Niklas "Super Nintendo" Hjalmarsson.

Very few players labelled defensive defensmen are actually good at hockey. Toftbo is one of the few good ones. He isnt the flashiest player, he doesnt put up huge points, and he doesnt really seem like a big deal. Its hard to notice him and what he does when he plays behind Duncan Keith (which he will be doing again!) and the crazy Hawks rosters over the last 6 years. But he is a great possession player and amazing at shot suppression and can move the puck like crazy. He is the ideal 2nd line D. With him there I dont need to worry so much about who I draft on the back end in later rounds because he will be able to pick up the slack.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Your D is insane but it is a mistake to ignore offense early. I learned my lesson last time.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Your D is insane but it is a mistake to ignore offense early. I learned my lesson last time.

Never! I will build New Jersey 2.0 and bore my opponents to death!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I had a lot of names I was looking at here, the Florida Panthers have decided to take Mike Hoffman. he has one of the best 5v5 p/60s over the past 2 seasons along with good fancy stats and he seems especially good at generating offense all on his lonesome

mentholmoose is up

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Never! I will build New Jersey 2.0 and bore my opponents to death!

Actually I thought you were a different team. You have Perry so you're not ignoring offense.

Also, Mike Hoffman is a dude I thought would be taken a round ago, he's awesome. Legit first line winger.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

I had a lot of names I was looking at here, the Florida Panthers have decided to take Mike Hoffman. he has one of the best 5v5 p/60s over the past 2 seasons along with good fancy stats and he seems especially good at generating offense all on his lonesome

mentholmoose is up

You lucked out with Duke/Hoffman, I really like your team a lot so far. A phenomenal young first pair on defense, and Duclair/Duchene/Hoffman is a fun first line.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Aye Doc posted:

mentholmoose is up

This was the winger I really wanted

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

How did Stone go way before Hoffman when Hoffman is better?

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Aye Doc posted:

mentholmoose is up

Hot drat, I was kind of hoping he'd keep, very unexplicably, going unseen. Good pickup, in my lovely opinion.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

There are two wingers in particular I'm surprised have not gone yet.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Hot drat, I was kind of hoping he'd keep, very unexplicably, going unseen. Good pickup, in my lovely opinion.

I almost took him over Parise two rounds ago but didn't want to pass up on Zach's two-way play.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

There are two wingers in particular I'm surprised have not gone yet.

I have a handful on my list that I don't think will get back to me but I'm also surprised they're still there.

This has been my vague draft post of the day.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

How did Stone go way before Hoffman when Hoffman is better?

Stone is better. I like Hoffman and he can score and break teams open with his speed but Stone is an incredible two way player and he can break teams with his reading of the play.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My read is that a quality center is more value than a winger (with few exceptions).
That and left wing in particular is just flush with prospects and skilled players available while Centers have been going like hot cakes.
I think you know what position my next pick will likely be given that information but maybe I'm trying to mislead you.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yeah, I regret taking Parise instead of another great center, seeing as how I could have gotten plenty of good wingers later on - I over-estimated how soon wingers would go. Everyone's been loading up on C and D.

I am, however, still really happy with my team, especially if I can get the guy I want with my next pick.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Phone posting again, you guys sure love getting to my picks while I'm at work or drinking.

I'll take Ben Bishop.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wow. I actually lost out on Niskanen cause I wasn't paying attention last night. That blows. :/

D - Alex Goligoski and D - Dimitry Orlov.

Ovechkin - Toffoli - Wheeler

Goligoski - Orlov

MJeff fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 13, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I suspect this pick will be contentious. I'm taking the new "Good" Staal, Jordan Staal.

Yeah, he's signed for a lot of money for infinite years, and yeah he's past the scoring prime for a forward, but he's also basically a less offensively gifted Patrice Bergeron or Anze Kopitar. He is the player who everybody thinks Name Withheld is.
When he is on the ice (and he will be 20+ minutes a night) the other team is going to have to fight tooth and nail to get to our net. All of this and he's good for 20 goals a season. Plus his defensive stability will give me leeway to pick riskier players down the line.

x - Monahan - Tarasenko
x - Staal - x

x - Jones
x - Parayko

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat it I really hoped he would drop.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Staal had a really solid year and is a fine pick. The dude still does everything well.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

My next two picks are definitely gonna go before me, I know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

orlov is a good pick, i was gonna take him if stralman was gone

• Locked thread