Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
git is clever and then too clever for its own good

git uses snapshots, rather than changesets to store data, and relies on traditional methods (gzip) to save space, rather than storing changesets.

this is probably the best decision in git, it may be the only good decision in git.

you know git's ui is unbearably bad because git users have coping habits (rebasing a branch, trimming changes to one commit) to cope with that git's log and timeline tools are defunct out of the box

git is one of the most confusing piece of software i have ever used, but there's no accounting for taste.

but i used svn and cvs before so maybe i'm just recovering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
here is a short text about git's inconsistent command line options:

http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/Git-s-inconsistent-command-line-options-td7638178.html

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
git is really simple:

git checkout does so many simple things

git checkout branch_name

# find the branch, and change the working copy to it, ignoring local modifications

git checkout -b branch_name

# create this branch (tracking current branch iirc) and change working copy, ignoring local modifications

git checkout filename

# overwrite the working copy with this file's original version in this branch

git checkout branch_name filename

# overwrite the working copy with this exact version

i'm probably forgetting a few

oh yeah, it also allows you to detatch head

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
im really surprised no one has just copied the git model of version control but made it easy to use and more featureful

i mean, i know people have tried, but its weird that no one has succeeded. honestly i dont think git will ever go away. its hit critical mass.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i really like git, but it may be just stockholm syndrome.

that thing that mononcqc posted in the version control thread about how everything in git is just a commit was helpful for cementing my understanding of things.

*edit*
this

Stringent fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 13, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
git is basically the cvs of distributed version control. it sucks, and there are alternatives that improve on it slightly, but it's probably not going to go away until something definitively better comes along.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

i've heard that to understand git, you should read some book "git from the ground up" or something like that.

Stringent posted:

i really like git, but it may be just stockholm syndrome.

that thing that mononcqc posted in the version control thread about how everything in git is just a commit was helpful for cementing my understanding of things.

*edit*
this

there we go

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

tef posted:

git uses snapshots, rather than changesets to store data, and relies on traditional methods (gzip) to save space, rather than storing changesets.

this is probably the best decision in git, it may be the only good decision in git.
Why is using snapshots instead of changesets a good idea?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I use TFS for my main product and git for my side projects or to help interns with their assignments

never had any problems with git. ok so everybody has a local full copy of the repo, instead of just a snapshot like in centralised vc systems. that's really nice. and... that's about it?

i strongly suspect the main reason i never had problems with git is because I never at any point even considered using it from the console, any more that I ever used TFS from the console

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i love, love, love git's branching model

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i prefer cvs's branching model

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

fart simpson posted:

i prefer cvs's branching model

"don't"?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

idk i've never actually used cvs i just like to disagree with stringent

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
elm is ok?

Stringent fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 13, 2016

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

actually, its good

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 13, 2016

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

I would like to know more.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

this used to say the opposite

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
yeah i don't have any opinions on elm, i was just clowning on fart simpson

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I like how every introduction to git describes it as a directed acyclic graph, which is a super helpful explanation because the git create node, git rename node, git delete node, git select node, git create directed-edge and git delete directed-edge commands all either don't exist or have arcane, unguessable names

I like that creating a branch is git checkout -b not e.g. git create branch

I like that there's this clever staging area and after you have staged some changes you can see what has been staged using git diff --cached

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i have to google how to unstage every time, or view staged diffs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jabor posted:

git is basically the cvs of distributed version control. it sucks, and there are alternatives that improve on it slightly, but it's probably not going to go away until something definitively better comes along.

we had that in Veracity but it didn't catch on with the git-crazies because (1) they believe in git in a cultish way rather than as a "best for my needs now" way, and (2) Veracity didn't do bisect and rebase before the project fizzled out and those are legit useful

probably the most lasting thing to come from the Veracity effort was a decent book on SCM, Version Control by Example

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Wheany posted:

here is a short text about git's inconsistent command line options:

http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/Git-s-inconsistent-command-line-options-td7638178.html

Seems like a healthy project to me actually.

They're polite about it, aware that it's a loving mess at the moment, and are at least thinking about ways to make it be less of a loving mess without breaking everybody's IDE integration in the process. That email chain is fairly recent.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

NihilCredo posted:

i strongly suspect the main reason i never had problems with git is because I never at any point even considered using it from the console, any more that I ever used TFS from the console

qntm posted:

I like how every introduction to git describes it as a directed acyclic graph, which is a super helpful explanation because the git create node, git rename node, git delete node, git select node, git create directed-edge and git delete directed-edge commands all either don't exist or have arcane, unguessable names

I like that creating a branch is git checkout -b not e.g. git create branch

I like that there's this clever staging area and after you have staged some changes you can see what has been staged using git diff --cached

lmao qed

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

im really surprised no one has just copied the git model of version control but made it easy to use and more featureful

i mean, i know people have tried, but its weird that no one has succeeded. honestly i dont think git will ever go away. its hit critical mass.

I feel like it should be possible to take the git internals and transfer protocols and whatever but come up with a console ui that is not shamefully bad. tig is cool but not really what I'm after

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
also I love all the suggestions that the reason I think git is shamefully bad is because I don't understand it. terrible programmers thread indeed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

just use mercurial

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Tell me why Python Pyramid is terrible, because I might have to use it for work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it doesn't include functions for everything you could possibly want like django

the real problem is that you're needing to use a python web framework

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Q: How do you delete a local branch?
A: git branch -d <branchname>

Q: What if I just want to trash it and it doesn't need to be upstream?
A: git branch -D <branchname>

Q: What if I want to delete the branch remotely?
A: git branch -dr <branchname>

Q: What if I want to delete a tag?
A: git tag -d <tagname>

Q: What if I want to delete the tag remotely?
A: git push origin :refs/tags/<tagname>

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Oh this one is better: http://stevelosh.com/blog/2013/04/git-koans/

quote:

“How can I view a list of all tags?”

“git tag“, replied Master Git.

“How can I view a list of all remotes?”

“git remote -v“, replied Master Git.

“How can I view a list of all branches?”

“git branch -a“, replied Master Git.

“And how can I view the current branch?”

“git rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD“, replied Master Git.

“How can I delete a remote?”

“git remote rm“, replied Master Git.

“And how can I delete a branch?”

“git branch -d“, replied Master Git.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
i don't see why the people who have trouble remembering git commands just don't make some aliases?? here check these out

https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/blob/master/plugins/git/git.plugin.zsh

and then you also have the full command to refer to instead of googling in case you forget your alias too. ONLY WHAT YOU NEED TO SURVIVE, PRINCESS

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

one time my urls got so long that the client i was using just started giving 404a

lol this might be it. God dammit

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

the real problem is that you're needing to use a python web framework

I actually like python...

... for short scripts. I'll probably hate it in couple of months.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk why you'd ever use git from a command line

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Bloody posted:

for me its because every gui has loving sucked also i have a sweet mechanical kb so typing is very good

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

git Suits My Needs and is super good as long as you remember what the command is. i have to google how to remove a tag every time

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Bloody posted:

there's git guis?!?!?!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Bloody posted:

because i'm not sure if i can push things to gerrit for review using intellij and lack the motivation to find out

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

because the network effect is a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

NihilCredo posted:

i think this is me too

git extensions for windows is a surprisingly useful gui considering how ugly it is. i've tried to switch to prettier ones but i always come back.

• Locked thread