Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mameluke posted:

The Aztecs are back as usual, but there's no Native American civ in the Civ IV sense.

I think he meant in the sense of Sioux, Iroquois, Shoshone, etc.

I keep thinking the Seminole would make a good addition, they even have a prominent leader for it in Osceola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

loving Brazil and not Byzantium?

Gotta have civs from all continents, man. Speaking of, where are the penguins?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Gotta have civs from all continents, man.

loving Brazil and not the Inca?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Byzantine posted:

loving Brazil and not the Inca?

Where else are you going to hold the OlympicsInternational Games?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Byzantine posted:

loving Brazil and not Byzantium?

Byzantium would be redundant enough with Rome already in. Even more with the Ottomans.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

Edit: realized it's not entirely alphabetical

Are there any that aren't in order? Some people are thinking that first unknown image might be Georgia.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

All the ones we know for certain are in order.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Negrostrike posted:

Byzantium would be redundant enough with Rome already in. Even more with the Ottomans.

Better to have a civ that actually did something ever. The Huns weren't even a civilization and they were still a better choice than Brazil.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'd prefer some native civ instead of Brazil personally, like the Tupi, because New World colony nations are just too silly. But yeah, we'll always have to deal with bronze-age Americans, so we might as well have Brazil in.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Brazil is... I don't feel that strongly one way or the other on that one. Inca and other civs are more interesting to me but also, why not.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Negrostrike posted:

I'd prefer some native civ instead of Brazil personally, like the Tupi, because New World colony nations are just too silly. But yeah, we'll always have to deal with bronze-age Americans, so we might as well have Brazil in.

I've always wondered if there are people out there who feel super strongly the other way, like somebody who is super salty about Babylon in the modern era.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Are there any that aren't in order? Some people are thinking that first unknown image might be Georgia.
I think you might be right, I could easily see that being a picture of Tamar.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd like to see more modern nations in, like Canada or Australia or Argentina. The whole bronze-age Americans thing being a downside in my opinion falls apart if you aren't equally annoyed at industrial age Aztecs.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Who would you pick for a Canadian figurehead? I'm not versed on Canadian politics so the people I was coming up with were all waaaaay too modern.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I'd like to see more modern nations in, like Canada or Australia or Argentina. The whole bronze-age Americans thing being a downside in my opinion falls apart if you aren't equally annoyed at industrial age Aztecs.

Or like, the concept of civs as a continuous entity of 6000 years in general

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Or like, the concept of civs as a continuous entity of 6000 years in general
That would be a different game entirely.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

sarmhan posted:

That would be a different game entirely.

I just mean like, the core concept of civ doesn't even hold up as historically accurate so people complaining about stone age abe lincoln are never going to win that fight.

flatluigi posted:

Who would you pick for a Canadian figurehead? I'm not versed on Canadian politics so the people I was coming up with were all waaaaay too modern.

Lester B Pearson is the popular pick, arguably lead near Canada's peak world influence, nationally well regarded. Trudeau is probably the best known leader and also lead during an important period for Canada, definitely a big personality which the mentioned being important for their leader picks, but he's politically divisive and also his son is the current PM so that's a no go. King is the longest serving PM and lead during WW2, a time that really bore the birth of a Canadian identity. A less popular pick, John A MacDonald, the head of confederation and an important figure outside of that, he had a few notable scandals but it's been more than 100 years people so don't give a poo poo. His later descent into alcoholism is surprisingly well remembered though. These are 4 decent picks, but also Canada is pretty far down the list of civs that need to be added to the game.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
When Brazil was added in BNW, it was partly considered because of the World Cup. And also the "long overdue" factor.

If all goes to plan, it's supposed to be another big year for Brazil, so having Pedro again sort of makes sense.

Of course, the Olympics are going to be a huge clusterfuck but... yeah.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I like Brazil just from a possible mechanics angle. I mean sure World Cup blah blah blah, but it's also a nation that in modern times successfully reinvented and reinvigorated its economy, as well as established an 'artificial' city of millions to centralise its government.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Brazil also helps selling the game in Brazil, maybe.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Brazil has certainly been on my subset wish list of post-colonial modern states that I think should be a full civ along with America. So they were a nice addition in BNW and also helped "fill the map". Gran Colombia and Haiti (and to a lesser extent, Argentina) are also on this short list of mine.

Also with Brazil, it's nice people stopped trying to argue that America "isn't a real civilization because REASONS".

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Civilization is about immortal avatar aspects representing their nations, comprised of peoples with special powers others cannot wholly replicate, in a blank slate cage match fight to victory. Picking a Civ is less simulating a country and more akin to choosing a fighting game character.
What I'm saying here is that I haven't seen any compelling evidence that Civilization's Dom Pedro II can NOT emit an electrical current from his body at will.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
A civ beween Germany and Greece could be the Goths. I've googled a few names that I could remember of the top of my head (Theoderic, Alaric, Berig), but I didn't find anything, it doesn't help that there are basically no contemporary depictions of them. Googling 'Gothic King' is also not very productive thanks to modern day idiots.

E1 is some Swedish dude maybe?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Seems a lot of people on reddit are mad that Catherine de Médicis is the France leader

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
What, because she's not French? They should have used Marie-Antoinette for maximum trolling potential. :getin:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kassad posted:

What, because she's not French?

Probably because she's "she".

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If we don't get South Sudan or Timor-Leste I'm gunna be fuckin pissed

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

webmeister posted:

If we don't get South Sudan or Timor-Leste I'm gunna be fuckin pissed

Luxembourg or bust. :colbert:

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I am disappointed in any French leader who is not le roi de soleil. Nappy can die in a fire.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
loving Russia and not Tannu Tuva?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Seems a lot of people on reddit are mad that Catherine de Médicis is the France leader

It's a little hosed up if you view it from the point of view of them looking for a French leader that isn't Napoleon and settling on an Italian.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Grapplejack posted:

It's a little hosed up if you view it from the point of view of them looking for a French leader that isn't Napoleon and settling on an Italian.

Well Napoleon was kind of an Italian himself so...

I think it's the best choice for a French female leader though, I was really afraid we were going to get Joan of Arc again.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
They've got a German as the leader of England, so

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
And a Greek for Egyptian leader.

Globalism

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They were at least born in their respective countries

Medici was born in Florence, so...

It's a little weird is all I'm saying

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

She does seem like she'll be a really fun AI leader to deal with though, so I'm looking forward to that.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I bought Civ 1 when I was 12, and the Civs included are super iconic for me. I get really, really crabby when they don't include Shaka of the Zulu. :mad:

It's just not Civ without Zulu tanks.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
When will Pitcairn Island get represented in Civilization?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

canyoneer posted:

When will Pitcairn Island get represented in Civilization?

Led by Fletcher Christian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hogama posted:

What I'm saying here is that I haven't seen any compelling evidence that Civilization's Dom Pedro II can NOT emit an electrical current from his body at will.

Okay, now I want Ryu to lead the Japanese civ. An entire Street Fighter mod would probably work shockingly well, especially if you could rip the models/animations from Street Fighter 4.

Unique Ability: Yoga Limbs. All melee units have range 2 but 50% health.
Unique Ability: Electric Thunder. Start the game with Electricity tech unlocked.
Unique Ability: Super Armor. All units ignore zone of control when moving.
Unique Ability: Bad Stone. Melee units can make a range-1 ranged attack.