Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I know it's not what you meant but I totally read this as you saying "You see honey if you just cut back a bunch I can use the extra money to go to fun events for you! We can only afford one ticket though, but think of how much money we're saving! :downs:"

Haha yeah that was a misstatement on my part, basically we both scaled back our approaches a bit and accommodated each other so we both have fun and both save :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

slap me silly posted:

Make sure you set up the beneficiaries appropriately on all those accounts. That takes precedence over anything in your will. Do it in consultation with a lawyer if it looks complicated or you want to use a trust.

Dredging this back up, is that correct? Having a will that says one thing but having designated beneficiaries differently seems like its inviting a potentially costly dispute. I am no lawyer but my guess here would be that you would want those accounts already designated out explicitly to not also be in the will. Is this just wrong? I guess this is the kind of thing I should be asking a lawyer...

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
As far as I know it's correct. You should ask somebody who actually knows anything. There's no need for any dispute, the law is cut and dried and the bank will ignore the will.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

waloo posted:

Dredging this back up, is that correct?
I believe it is, but as slap me silly said probably best to ask a lawyer. My understanding is the account beneficiaries avenue is particularly useful to allow quick access to funds to pay for immediate stuff when someone dies like funeral expenses. Stuff tied up in trusts and wills can take a bit more time to disburse, but I think all you need is the death certificate and a trip to the bank branch to gain access to beneficiary funds. IANAL though. :)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Should I be building a full emergency fund or going hard on paying off my student loans:
My Situation:
$33k in Student loans between my wife and I. Currently paying off at standard rate +$100 a month. I have about $5k in savings at the moment.
Currently I have about $2k left over per month. (After all expenses and putting employer matching max into retirement.) 6 months of expenses would come to around 18k-20k.

I'd love to get rid of the student loans in huge $2k chunks, but I'm inclined to think that it will actually be safer to start building my emergency fund?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I was in a similar situation, and chose to pay the loans.

That said, I felt very stable in my job, and was pretty sure I could get another quickly if something went wrong. I also didn't own a house or car, and was well insured, and my rent was $800/mo so not much could go expensively wrong.

I did keep increasing my savings by a couple hundred a month though, just blasted the rest into the loan.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The rate on the loans matters.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
One of my bank accounts is with a local credit union and I get 4.07% dividend/interest for the first $500 and then 2.44% after. I only have around $1,500 in that account right now. I know that those are high interest rates but I'm considering withdrawing my money out of there and putting it in my investment account or Roth IRA with my financial advisor. I rarely have activity with that credit union and they require me to do X Y and Z every month to retain that account. I'm also going to be moving soon and I would rather not deal with it. What do you think?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 13, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

One of my bank accounts is with a local credit union and I get 4.07% dividend/interest for the first $500 and then 2.44% after. I only have around $1,500 in that account right now. I know that those are high interest rates but I'm considering withdrawing my money out of there and putting it in my investment account or Roth IRA with my financial advisor. I rarely have activity with that credit union and they require me to do X Y and Z every month to retain that account. I'm also going to be moving soon and I would rather not deal with it. What do you think?

That's a really good return rate for an emergency fund. What do they require you do every month?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Don't use a financial advisor for amounts of money less than, oh I don't know, $1m.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Not sure where to ask but I have 4K in an HSA and switched employers to someone without an HSA.....what happens to my money?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

They're like 401Ks. It's still your money.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So can i still use it for medical expenses....?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

And even better than 401ks, you can have your HSA with any custodian you want and can move it around at any time regardless of your employer.

Your employer may say "we will only contribute or direct deposit to X custodian" but you can move that money periodically to a different/better custodian of your choice without leaving your employer.

Waroduce posted:

Yes. Once you have money in an HSA it is your money that you can use for qualified medical expenses at any time regardless of whether you are still on a qualifying HDHP. You only must be on an HDHP to contribute to an HSA.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Waroduce posted:

Yes.

e:f,b

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Guinness posted:

And even better than 401ks, you can have your HSA with any custodian you want and can move it around at any time regardless of your employer.

Your employer may say "we will only contribute or direct deposit to X custodian" but you can move that money periodically to a different/better custodian of your choice without leaving your employer.

Yes. Once you have money in an HSA it is your money that you can use for qualified medical expenses at any time regardless of whether you are still on a qualifying HDHP. You only must be on an HDHP to contribute to an HSA.

My current employer doesnt do HSAs. Im on a PPO plan i think.

But ok cool a least i can still use it thanks

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Speaking of HSA, my understanding now is that it can only ever be used for healthcare costs. Does anyone have any clue/plan what's going to happen to that money if the US ever adopts single payer healthcare? (In the next 30-40 years?)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Speaking of HSA, my understanding now is that it can only ever be used for healthcare costs. Does anyone have any clue/plan what's going to happen to that money if the US ever adopts single payer healthcare? (In the next 30-40 years?)

At retirement age, you can withdraw from your HSA for non-medical expenses as if it were a traditional IRA. That's why many high-earning people treat their HSA as an additional retirement account and don't spend it.

I imagine that if the US makes the switch to universal single-payer there will be some sort of provision for accessing that money penalty-free, but even if the IRS makes no change there are still plenty of things that would qualify for spending. Dental, vision, prescriptions, etc.

But that is a problem I would be absolutely thrilled to have.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
You can buy condoms with HSAs, so the answer, like many other questions in life, is to have sex more often

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

canyoneer posted:

You can buy condoms with HSAs, so the answer, like many other questions in life, is to have sex more often
Is this still true? In 2011 they changed the rules so that over-the-counter medications aren't eligible expenses without a doctor's requirement, and I searched for "contraceptives" in the latest IRS 502 publication and came up empty. I'm sure you're right, just curious where it's documented at this point.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I thought that was for FSA. I haven't seen anything about that kind of limitation with an HSA account.

If that's true, then after maxing out my HSA for a couple years, I have a bit of work to attend to...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah as far as I know that was just for FSA's because people would go and buy tons of poo poo from Walgreens before the money evaporated at the end of the year

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The lists of qualified expenses are identical for FSA and HSA as best as I can tell, since websites for both seem to just point to IRS publication 502.

Here's what my provider lists, which looks to be one of the better documented lists:

http://learn.healthequity.com/qme/

Condoms are listed as qualified, FWIW. Most over-the-counter medications need a prescription to qualify though, it seems.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Most over-the-counter medications need a prescription to qualify though, it seems.

It used to be that even things like ibuprofen, benadryl, and contact solution were qualified expenses for HSAs (and FSAs?). But that changed a few years back. Guess someone in the IRS decided it was too appealing for abuse.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Guinness posted:

It used to be that even things like ibuprofen, benadryl, and contact solution were qualified expenses for HSAs (and FSAs?). But that changed a few years back. Guess someone in the IRS decided it was too appealing for abuse.
Yeah like I mentioned previously, that changed in 2011 I think. When I went through orientation for my benefits in 2009 you could buy Advil and such, but not anymore.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You can still buy anything with an FSA card - it's the cardholder's responsibilities to keep receipts in case they get audited. I've seen people buy cigarettes with FSA cards.

HSA cards are flagged at the POS if there's not a qualifying purchase being made.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

HSA cards are flagged at the POS if there's not a qualifying purchase being made.

My FSA card does this as well. If I make only FSA items purchase i don't need to submit recipt.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, my FSA works that way too. If I buy a bunch of stuff at CVS it will only ring up the eligible things and I need to swipe a regular card for the remainder. Maybe that is just proactive enforcement from CVS as a vendor, though? The only thing my FSA asks for receipts from is, weirdly, one of my doctors. I have no idea what they think I could be paying for that isn't FSA covered there.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
edit: nm

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am not sure if this belongs in the Long Term Investing thread, but it seems a little basic for what is going on there. I am trying to work out how bad/good my retirement vehicles are. I was looking through the documentation I have, and found the 'Total Expense Ratio' for my 401k - is this all I need to look at to work out what its costing me, or are there going to be other things I'm paying that are somehow not included in total expenses? It says the ratio is 0.69%, which seems.... not terrible for a 401K? I contribute to it to get my employer's match, but I would like to know if/how badly I am getting screwed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ashcans posted:

I am not sure if this belongs in the Long Term Investing thread, but it seems a little basic for what is going on there. I am trying to work out how bad/good my retirement vehicles are. I was looking through the documentation I have, and found the 'Total Expense Ratio' for my 401k - is this all I need to look at to work out what its costing me, or are there going to be other things I'm paying that are somehow not included in total expenses? It says the ratio is 0.69%, which seems.... not terrible for a 401K? I contribute to it to get my employer's match, but I would like to know if/how badly I am getting screwed.

What funds are you invested in? .69 would only be good if you have a bunch of exotic funds that you probably don't need if you have to ask. ER is based on each fund, not overall. A good 401k should have access to an S&P 500 equivalent index for less than .09 ER.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think its just one fund, the whole thing is allocated toward a retirement fund with a target date. I say 'think'because it wouldn't surprise me if that actually gets counted as a bunch of different funds under one umbrella or something. I guess this means I should look and see if there is a better expensed fund available. I went with the target date one because I was very aware of my own ignorance and didn't think I would know how to make allocations appropriately.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

.69% is fine for a 401k in a target retirement, especially if you work for a small/midsized company. You could do better, (Vanguard's IRA TR funds are something like .19%, and I've worked places that got close to matching that), but you could do worse (my new company's is close to 1%).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, my company is pretty small (<50 people) so I guess that is part of it. I did look into their S&P 500 index fund, and its expense is barely any lower (.64%), so that doesn't seem to be any use. Does it make sense to just contribute to my ER match and then put any excess contributions to a vanguard fund? Or would it actually be worth it to regularly move money from the 401K to a vanguard IRA? Assuming that is actually something that I can do and isn't nightmarish in the logistics.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Ashcans posted:

Yea, my company is pretty small (<50 people) so I guess that is part of it. I did look into their S&P 500 index fund, and its expense is barely any lower (.64%), so that doesn't seem to be any use. Does it make sense to just contribute to my ER match and then put any excess contributions to a vanguard fund? Or would it actually be worth it to regularly move money from the 401K to a vanguard IRA? Assuming that is actually something that I can do and isn't nightmarish in the logistics.
As a general rule, first contribute to your 401k to max employee match, then max your IRA (usually Roth unless you're making tons of money now), then max the rest of 401k if you can. You can't regularly roll money from a 401k into another retirement account.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
So, my mattress has gone bad. Big ol' crater in the middle. My issue is that in order to go up a price category and hopefully avoid this situation for the foreseeable future, I'm looking at like a $1500 purchase. If I'm diligent, I can have that in like 3 months of absolutely garbage sleep, which isn't very acceptable. My girlfriend moves to the couch every night around 2 AM, it's a real shitshow. I need financing, but I have concerns about the credit check.

My credit score is like 638, which isn't the worst. However, I have a chapter 7 bankruptcy from three years ago due to some poor life decisions during a disastrous relationship, so I have a hard time like getting an apartment. Do I have a hope of getting financing if I walk into a mattress store with like $500 cash as a down payment? I pay my bills and I make like $48k. Basically I'm trying to figure out if I should pursue other avenues, since I have like 2 weeks until my $500 is scraped together.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

deadly_pudding posted:

So, my mattress has gone bad. Big ol' crater in the middle. My issue is that in order to go up a price category and hopefully avoid this situation for the foreseeable future, I'm looking at like a $1500 purchase. If I'm diligent, I can have that in like 3 months of absolutely garbage sleep, which isn't very acceptable. My girlfriend moves to the couch every night around 2 AM, it's a real shitshow. I need financing, but I have concerns about the credit check.

My credit score is like 638, which isn't the worst. However, I have a chapter 7 bankruptcy from three years ago due to some poor life decisions during a disastrous relationship, so I have a hard time like getting an apartment. Do I have a hope of getting financing if I walk into a mattress store with like $500 cash as a down payment? I pay my bills and I make like $48k. Basically I'm trying to figure out if I should pursue other avenues, since I have like 2 weeks until my $500 is scraped together.

Have you considered just paying that $500 to one of the Internet mattress companies and not financing anything?

Casper, Leesa, Tuft&Needle, Yogabed: they're all the same deal and review favorably to Tempurpedic-type things. I've been sleeping on a Leesa for a year and love it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

eddiewalker posted:

Have you considered just paying that $500 to one of the Internet mattress companies and not financing anything?

Casper, Leesa, Tuft&Needle, Yogabed: they're all the same deal and review favorably to Tempurpedic-type things. I've been sleeping on a Leesa for a year and love it.

I could get one of those in a queen without financing like a month and a half from now, maybe, depending on if my car needs work to pass inspection, but I still need a box and rails. Our rails got *hosed up* during the move, so we've just been doing box spring on floor.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

Agreed. The memory foam mattress by mail option is the way to go.

deadly_pudding posted:

I could get one of those in a queen without financing like a month and a half from now, maybe, depending on if my car needs work to pass inspection, but I still need a box and rails. Our rails got *hosed up* during the move, so we've just been doing box spring on floor.
Got an IKEA near you? Budget $200-$300 probably for a queen bed frame with slats. You could maybe do a bit better with Craigslist for a used bed, but transporting it might be tough depending on how well it disassembles.

Edit: also those mattress companies are always doing promos on podcasts that I listen to, so be sure to google for a current coupon. They're usually like $100 off I think.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think the closest IKEA to me is in Canada :v:
Thanks for the ideas, though.