Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My fourth of July festivities consisted of eating a poo poo ton of breakfast food and apple pie at country kitchen, and then watching Independence Day on bluray. I generally think that Rolland Emmerich makes trash movies and has horrible taste in stories, but ID4 is a near-perfect movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Is the painting of Vigo the Carpathian ever seen framed in Ghostbusters 2?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I thought his painting was a gallery wrap?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

there's something seriously wrong with people that don't like Will Smith, idgaf if he's a scientologist

I think it's totally understandable that Will Smith is very protective of his brand considering he's one of like 3 black leading men in Hollywood with international appeal. You don't get there by accident and have to be highly intentional about the roles you take on.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

What are some classic, classy b+w examples of films that Hail Caesar's Laurence Lorenz would have been making?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I recently watched Zodiac and probably missed a detail at some point but why did Mike Mageau appear in 1991 to identify Arthur Leigh Allen as Zodiac 22 years after the murder? It seemed humorously and absurdly anachronistic.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

1 800 J JAMES posted:

What are some classic, classy b+w examples of films that Hail Caesar's Laurence Lorenz would have been making?

well that was based in 1951 and I'm not sure about that era, but from the 30s, Trouble in Paradise

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I Am Legend may not be amazing or very true to the book but it's great to see Will Smith being serious without descending into full Oscar bait mode. Especially considering that most of the movie is just him and his dog on screen and he's carrying the entire movie with his performance.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

there's something seriously wrong with people that don't like Will Smith, idgaf if he's a scientologist

I know some people who don't like him because he's "obnoxious" which is dogwhistley as gently caress.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zogo posted:

I recently watched Zodiac and probably missed a detail at some point but why did Mike Mageau appear in 1991 to identify Arthur Leigh Allen as Zodiac 22 years after the murder? It seemed humorously and absurdly anachronistic.

Especially since we now know Te[d Cruz was the Zodiac Killer.

Edit: loving word filter

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Do they also say Welcome to Earf?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zogo posted:

Presumably because that's what happened in real life. Its presence in the movie helps to communicate the unresolvability and proliferating confusion of the case.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Especially since we now know Te[d Cruz was the Zodiac Killer.

Edit: loving word filter

Reigniting the Promise of America:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFN4Bb7wcog

Jack Gladney posted:

Presumably because that's what happened in real life. Its presence in the movie helps to communicate the unresolvability and proliferating confusion of the case.

Someone must've really dropped the ball.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Zogo posted:

The police had been investigating that case for decades, and I believe there was a bit of a resurgence in the investigation in the early 90s. Also I seem to recall that Mageau basically fled the country after he was recovered from the attack and effectively went into hiding, so that may have been the first time that they found him and were able to show him the photographs.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Sand Monster posted:

The police had been investigating that case for decades, and I believe there was a bit of a resurgence in the investigation in the early 90s. Also I seem to recall that Mageau basically fled the country after he was recovered from the attack and effectively went into hiding, so that may have been the first time that they found him and were able to show him the photographs.

That makes more sense. Having a prime witness go into hiding is a major blunder.

I know it's fairly common for criminals to flee the state/country after committing a crime until things blow over.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Zogo posted:

That makes more sense. Having a prime witness go into hiding is a major blunder.

I know it's fairly common for criminals to flee the state/country after committing a crime until things blow over.

Apparently Mageau fled his hospital bed and ended up becoming a homeless drifter with addiction problems, presumably a consequence to the trauma, hence the cops having trouble tracking him down again by the time they actually had a suspect in mind. Pretty sad for someone who ostensibly was lucky to survive.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What if the real zodiac killer was society ?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It was all actually a conspiracy by the newspapers to lend more gravitas to horoscopes.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Schweinhund posted:

well that was based in 1951 and I'm not sure about that era, but from the 30s, Trouble in Paradise

Saw it tonight, was great thank you!

Still on the lookout for movies about poshos in evening attire destroying each others' reputations with snark. Guess I want Noel Coward or Oscar Wilde?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Does anyone have any examples or stories of actors getting defensive about a bad performance or terrible movie they were in? Or directors admitting they made a terrible movie?

I know for directors there's people like Kevin Smith and M. NIght Shamylan who dug themselves in defending some of their movies, and there's a ton of actors who completely panned some of the stuff they've been in.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

There's the classic Michael Caine quote: "No, I haven't seen Jaws: the Revenge. But I have seen the house it built, and it's beautiful."

(Or something like that)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
For awhile George Clooney would just hand 10 bucks to anyone who saw Batman and Robin in theaters, as a refund for their ticket.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghS98BKy29Q

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

For awhile George Clooney would just hand 10 bucks to anyone who saw Batman and Robin in theaters, as a refund for their ticket.

As hard as they tried (the forum fanboys made 'em do it) even Rifftrax couldn't make that abomination watchable.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So bad it went from bad to bad and then more bad but then someone tried to spin it as not bad and it was still bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Batman and Robin isn't unwatchable, it's terrible but it isn't boring.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Batman and Robin isn't unwatchable, it's terrible but it isn't boring.

It does have Alicia Sliverstone and old Alfred I guess.

But it's mostly poo poo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
wtf you losers batman and robin is awesome

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Still on the lookout for movies about poshos in evening attire destroying each others' reputations with snark. Guess I want Noel Coward or Oscar Wilde?

Noel Coward is definitely the major runner here. but also check out PG Wodehouse and Agatha Christie. Most upper-class comedies from the first half of the 20th century will fit this rather neatly.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

1 800 J JAMES posted:

They may not be exactly what you're seeking, but The Thin Man series has lots of drunken socialite sarcasm. And there's also Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Ego-bot posted:

Does anyone have any examples or stories of actors getting defensive about a bad performance or terrible movie they were in? Or directors admitting they made a terrible movie?

I know for directors there's people like Kevin Smith and M. NIght Shamylan who dug themselves in defending some of their movies, and there's a ton of actors who completely panned some of the stuff they've been in.

Marion Cotillard hated working on The Last Flight, and detailed it in a roundtable a couple years ago. She didn't name it explicitly but it was pretty clear she was talking about it. Transcript here. Matthew Goode gave Leap Year a kicking.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Ego-bot posted:

Bruce Willis had that weird interview where he defended Hudson Hawk claiming that none of the idiot critics got his brand of subtle Jersey humor.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Will Smith recently talked about how marketers can't trick audiences into seeing a poo poo film anymore without word getting out immediately that the film is bad, using Wild Wild West as an example of how they used to be able to get away with it
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cannes-lions-will-smith-says-904893

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Maybe the influence is less direct and strong, and they rely instead on brand recognition and fans fervor to spread the word.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also on international markets with less robust self-defense against garbage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

1 800 J JAMES posted:

The clothing isn't as nice as you're looking for but Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is the epitome of dialogue as bloodsport.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ego-bot posted:

Ben Affleck and Ryan Reynolds were slamming Daredevil and Green Lantern the day they came out, basically. Spielberg threw Lucas under the bus on Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Tony Kaye disowned American History X after getting kicked out of the editing room. Bay literally called Revenge of the Fallen "crap."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nicolas Cage did Dying of the Light not too long ago and it was clear the movie wasn't going to be good but he had a clause in his contract that he couldn't badmouth the film. So he and Anton Yelchin, who also starred in it, started taking pictures of themselves wearing shirts with the terms of the non-disparagement clause written on it. The director, Paul Schraeder, admits that it was a bad movie but that was mostly because he got shut out of everything post filming.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

syscall girl posted:

So bad it went from bad to bad and then more bad but then someone tried to spin it as not bad and it was still bad.
It's fun a lot of times. Most of the fun you have with that movie you are having with it; not at its expense. People talk about stuff like the bat nipples, the butt shot, the credit card, the puns, but that's all the amazing stuff. It's not a well made film still. It thrives to be a modern 66 Batman without enough understanding of what made the TV show and film genuinely good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The only tolerable performance in B&R is Arnie and that's because he just goes for it. Everybody else is either totally miscast or too aware that they're in a bad movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Which one had the guy yelling "It's Batman! eeeehhhhh!" in that weird wimpy voice after Batman crashes through a window? I think it was Forever, but it's the best thing about the Schumacher ones bar none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You're right about Forever, but his best line is actually this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBEz-wfq8Ew