Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thallium_poisoning

The poisoner's poison! Colorless, odorless, tasteless, slow-acting, and make's the victim's hair fall out. The article includes a section titled "Australia's 'Thallium Craze'".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man, I haven't watched The Young Poisoner's Handbook in 15 years. Quite a good movie as I recall.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Syd Midnight posted:

I did not eat the fish, which were horrible half-amphibian catfish that look you in the eye and hiss then try to crawl back into the water. It all dumps into Lake Erie next to the nuclear power plant so who cares, jesus.

If Godzilla is real, he won't emerge from the Pacific, because there's no way he's not coming out of Lake Erie.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
This seems FOOFy in the etc. way. My dad and his friends all pitched in for a boat in the 70s which they used in Lake Erie. When water skiing, the driver would try to make the skier fall into algal mats or garbage patches.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Syd Midnight posted:

You forgot about the amnesia, so they forget they've re-dosed and think "Oh hey I think I'll take some" while eyeballing the amount with less accuracy each time. And this cycle continuing for days.

Also the the distinctive way it affected typing.

Lots of crashed cars, too.

Bonus:

Someone needs to post a dump of all the crazy RC/joose posts.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, of all the things crazy people could easily brew up in a bathtub, VX is more or less off the table.

Be more worried about them making basic but destructive stuff like black powder. A pipe bomb is way easier to make than a nerve agent.
You don't even have to make black powder, you can buy it or smokeless powder off the shelf by the pound at just about any sporting goods store. High explosives aren't particularly difficult, either, especially something like TATP. You might blow yourself up if you're dumb or careless, but anyone who took a semester of chemistry in college could do it with what's written on the Wikipedia page and a few glances at the textbook if they didn't want to risk searching "how to make TATP," which gives plenty of step-by-step instructions.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

A White Guy posted:

If you do find reliable information, good luck getting those ingredients and handling them in a safe manner (I'll give you a hint, one of these ingredients is white phosphorus) Secondly, it's ingredients all react to form wonderfully poisonous things on their own, so good luck synthesizing it in your bathtub without killing yourself/your entire neighborhood - for example, one of the possible contaminants is sarin (the nerve gas), so uh, be careful with that. Finally, you need specialized equipment to spread it in a manner that would harm people, like specially designed artillery shells fired from a 155mm howitzer. And, if you spill this poo poo all of over your floor and don't die, the decomposition of VX from sunlight yields other, toxic nerve gases. Fun stuff.

Honestly, if you want to create deadly airborne toxic gas, you could make mustard gas with household chemicals. Your friend is worrying about things that really aren't all that dangerous in the grand scheme of things, unless, say for example, the government you're rebelling against decides to use it against you.

I might be missing something here, but if you're going to be producing VX, a bit of sarin contamination on the way there sounds unlikely to make that much difference to the outcome. Either you're perfect at containment and survive, or you're not and you die horribly; if it's from the VX or sarin seems sort of secondary.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Computer viking posted:

I might be missing something here, but if you're going to be producing VX, a bit of sarin contamination on the way there sounds unlikely to make that much difference to the outcome. Either you're perfect at containment and survive, or you're not and you die horribly; if it's from the VX or sarin seems sort of secondary.

What I'm trying to say is that, producing VX and Sarin isn't really all that difficult. Producing it in a manner that doesn't lead to your quick and vicious death is. Secondly, even if you make a dangerous chemical weapon, you have to spread it correctly to kill a lot of people with it - VX, for example, takes very specialized equipment to kill a lot of people, so too does Sarin. If you're going to manufacture dangerous chemicals that are also simultaneously difficult to spread, why not just skip the whole really deadly chemical weapons and go straight to tried and true explosives?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It made relative sense for Aum Shrinkiyo but that was because they had actual chemists and experts in their number, and were working towards mass scale NBC warfare to bring about the apocalypse. There's a reason they're the startling minority of terrorist gas attacks, and even they had real trouble aerosolizing it for the subway attack (though they did manage it with their earlier truck-based attack.)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Belgian researchers found traces of TATP (triacetone triperoxide) in the blood of the Brussels suicide bombers. TATP is an extremely explosive compound that can be synthesized relatively simply from regular store products. For that reason it's "popular" in bombs used by terrorists, at least in Europe. It decomposes when it explodes, but before that, it's also toxic.

Now, they suspect that TATP enters the bloodstream during the preparation of bombs. That means, they believe they can find terrorists before they blow anything up by testing the blood of potential suspects for TATP.

Interesting find. However, I don't have any clue if it's legally possible to draw blood from potential suspects who haven't done anything yet. And if they change laws to make it possible, what consequences that has for innocent people. Authorities always seem to find a way to abuse any new powers they're given.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Interesting find. However, I don't have any clue if it's legally possible to draw blood from potential suspects who haven't done anything yet.

Christ, we've already crossed that line here, for DUI suspects. In some cases they have judges at the checkpoints to sign warrants straight off.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Phanatic posted:

Christ, we've already crossed that line here, for DUI suspects. In some cases they have judges at the checkpoints to sign warrants straight off.
That's so 20th century. Judges are now 'on call' and have ipads. If you need a warrant at 3 AM, you send pics of the relevant documents to the judge and signs off on it real quick.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

Belgian researchers found traces of TATP (triacetone triperoxide) in the blood of the Brussels suicide bombers. TATP is an extremely explosive compound that can be synthesized relatively simply from regular store products. For that reason it's "popular" in bombs used by terrorists, at least in Europe. It decomposes when it explodes, but before that, it's also toxic.
The other big reason it's gaining popularity is because i contains carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen while explosives detectors look for nitrogen compounds, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone who's read much of this thread.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

From the comic strip megathread
Out Our Way With The Willets (May 8, 1927)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Phanatic posted:

Gobbeldygook posted:

That's so 20th century. Judges are now 'on call' and have ipads. If you need a warrant at 3 AM, you send pics of the relevant documents to the judge and signs off on it real quick.

We just need a neat hat, a sick gun and a permantent scowl and we'll live in the future!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thallium_poisoning

The poisoner's poison! Colorless, odorless, tasteless, slow-acting, and make's the victim's hair fall out. The article includes a section titled "Australia's 'Thallium Craze'".

Wikipedia posted:

(which led to its initial use as a depilatory before its toxicity was properly appreciated)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I went to NHRA qualifying Friday night and watched top fuel and funny cars run up and down the strip. I forgot how insane those cars were. They're so loud it blurs your vision.

If you've never seen nitromethane powered cars before, go check it out sometime. Even if you have no interest in cars or racing. If you like this thread you should enjoy it.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

honda whisperer posted:

If you've never seen nitromethane powered cars before, go check it out sometime. Even if you have no interest in cars or racing. If you like this thread you should enjoy it.

This thread has taught me that more nitros = more better. One nitro is clearly not enough.

Where's the german test track with dinitromethane powered cars?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

In a vaporized orbit

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitaneberg Ring

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitaneberg Ring

I think you mean the Hexanitrohexaazoisowurtzitane Nordschleife :colbert:. That's the real reason why the whole loop stopped getting run, the cars couldn't finish the Gesamtstrecke. There's also the much shorter GP-Strecke which is that length because that's how long the hexadecanitrofullerene cars can make it. And that's why they lengthened it in 2001, the cars improved :science:.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Do you think the Germans that discovered hexadecanitrofullerene had an Oppenheimer "what have I done" moment? Is a 16-nitrogen soccer ball enough?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Do you think the Germans that discovered hexadecanitrofullerene had an Oppenheimer "what have I done" moment? Is a 16-nitrogen soccer ball enough?

No, they need bigger ones with little ones inside it. like a Russian doll of angry nitrogen.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Hexadecamatryoshkanitrofullerine?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

KennyTheFish posted:

No, they need bigger ones with little ones inside it. like a Russian doll of angry nitrogen.

What's German for Recursive Death Ball of Bad Decisions?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Taerkar posted:

What's German for Recursive Death Ball of Bad Decisions?
Doesn't compute. There are only good decisions that lead to explosively exotic molecules. Never mind the grad students missing fingers or the constant orders for analytical equipment.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

No. The German who discovered it was this guy, Thomas Klapotke, who goes to work like this.

This is an interview he did with a chemistry journal:

My favorite subject at school was … chemistry.
The most significant advance of the last 100 years has been … rocket propulsion.
The biggest problem that scientists face is … being misunderstood by the public.
Looking back over my career, I … would change nothing.
The most important future applications of my research … are defense oriented.
My work is significant because … it promotes peace.
The worst advice I have ever been given … was to forget about main-group chemistry and to do exclusively organometallic chemistry.
I would have liked to have discovered … the element fluorine.
If I could be a piece of lab equipment, I would be … a distillation collecting flask.
The most groundbreaking discovery in science in the past 100 years has been … quantum mechanics.
My favorite composer is … Gustav Mahler.
If I could be described as an animal … I would be a penguin.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Of course he likes Mahler.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

VanSandman posted:

Of course he likes Mahler.

Gonna need a breakdown of this one.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Johnny Aztec posted:

Gonna need a breakdown of this one.

Mahler's 1st Symphony instructs the horns to stand up in the grand finale and bring the house down.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KennyTheFish posted:

16-nitrofullerene wrapped around a crystal of CL-20 with a nitromethane inside that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

VanSandman posted:

Mahler's 1st Symphony instructs the horns to stand up in the grand finale and bring the house down.

Enourmo posted:

16-nitrofullerene wrapped around a crystal of CL-20 with a nitromethane inside that.

That'll bring down the house, and then some.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

There's explosive, and then there's so explosive you can't actually measure it on the scale, so the head of the department gets very cross with you after you blow up two pieces of very expensive lab equipment on the same day.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Dinitromethane is surprisingly stable. So are tri- and tetranitromethane (the latter is actually used as a diesel fuel additive, and you can't get the pure substance to explode).

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kwyndig posted:

That'll bring down the house, and then some.

I expect you'd find that most of the house would be going up.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I expect you'd find that most of the house would be going up.

as long as the house goes up who cares where it comes down, that's not my department says thomas klapotke

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Zemyla posted:

Dinitromethane is surprisingly stable. So are tri- and tetranitromethane (the latter is actually used as a diesel fuel additive, and you can't get the pure substance to explode).

All the nitros are pulling to try and get away at the same time and ends up being metastable? Kinda like trinitrotoluene (TNT).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

UberJew posted:

as long as the house goes up who cares where it comes down goes splotky, that's not my department says thomas klapotke

FTFY

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
1812 Overture would work well too- replace the cannons with the explosions of the analytical instruments/screams of grad students/glass shattering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

thank you, i couldn't think of a rhyme for klapotke and just gave up