Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
In my experience, GPUs fail much more frequently than CPUs and motherboards. Therefore, maintaining warranty status is important. Many graphics cards have warranty boys stickers on the heatsink screws, making re passing a warranty breaking procedure.

When I pull the heatsink on older graphics cards the coolers tend to be stuck to the VRMs or other parts to some degree, which can be kind of scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Massasoit posted:

As a follow-up to that, doesn't this void warranty? Was there a company that doesn't void warranty? EVGA I think?

EVGA, I think Gigabyte too? I know that there are two to three companies that don't care if you remove the cooler as long as you don't break anything doing so.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Seamonster posted:

CPUs have nice sturdy heatspreaders on them

this didn't use to be the case and we all still installed thermal paste and heatsinks just fine

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's pretty easy, you undo any screws holding the back plate on if the card has one, then undo any other screws on the back, then gently pry the cooler off. It might stick a bit so you use slowly increasing force, if it's really stubborn you check to make sure you really got all the screws and try unscrewing any that are on the I/O area of the card, be careful when the cooler first pops off to undo the cables connecting the fans on the cooler to the card. Remember to keep different types of screws separated and label each type so you know what is what. Once you have the card taken apart you use some isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters to clean the old paste off the GPU and the cooler, just be gentle and you will not break anything, it takes a lot of force to break these things. Once it is clean you repaste and put the cooler back on, use plenty of paste since you want to make sure every bit of the die is covered, remember to reconnect the fan cables, it would suck to have to do everything over again because you forgot. For an AIO+Bracket if you are using one just follow the instructions that come with your bracket when it comes to installing it.

I can understand being nervous about doing this sort of thing but it really is quite easy. Try watching some videos on youtube of people doing stuff like this, it should help with your confidence levels.

EDIT: One thing to keep in mind is that installing a CPU cooler and pasting that is actually more risky, sockets on mobos are more fragile than GPUs, you risk getting paste down into the socket if you use way too much which is potentially a dead mobo, the systems for securing the CPU cooler to the mobo are generally more complex than anything a GPU would use and so on, you have actually already done something more risky and difficult than repasting a GPU.

Another thing to consider is if it's that sticky fire up a game or benchmark to warm the compound prior to removing the heatsink, alternatively warm the heat sink directly with a blow dryer while twisting and pulling gently.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Massasoit posted:

As a follow-up to that, doesn't this void warranty? Was there a company that doesn't void warranty? EVGA I think?

EVGA specifically states it will not void the warranty, but most companies these days turn a pretty blind eye to the whole thing; most have long since stopped putting security/warranty stickers on the screws and such, so there's no easy way for them to tell unless you actually damage the board, unless they felt like ripping the HSF off and checking to see if the thermal paste has been changed, which seems kinda unlikely for the most part.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

wicka posted:

this didn't use to be the case and we all still installed thermal paste and heatsinks just fine

Installing the cooler on something like a socket-A Thunderbird was scary as hell and quite a few were broken in the process.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Seamonster posted:

CPUs have nice sturdy heatspreaders on them and GPUs don't. CPUs can be accessed much more quickly and easily than GPUs being a few screws, if any, to remove the HSF or block. Getting to the GPU core can mean undoing lots of screws, especially if there's a backplate to remove.

However you've got that metal support so it's less risky than mounting a cooler on a delidded CPU, which is a thing people do successfully.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Re: pump noise, I've never really heard my h50, and my DDC from EKWB makes basically no noise. Fans are definitely louder.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Trip report:

My MSI gaming X 1070 arrived after turning my G1 1070 back in.

Much much quieter overal, fan starts giving noticable noise over case fans around 60%. Seems to heat up a bit higher than the G1 but I'm going to blame my case for that.

Also boosts up to 2000 mhz on the core out of the box and runs stable near 2100 mhz.

This one is a keeper. On top of that it was 40€ cheaper than the G1

For the Belgians out there, I got it from ITWARE in St-Niklaas. They seem to have decent stock and it's delivered the next day.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

Re: pump noise, I've never really heard my h50, and my DDC from EKWB makes basically no noise. Fans are definitely louder.

Yeah I have a DDC from EKWB too, and while it can get noisy, it's a pwm thing I keep on lowest RPM at all times and it's basically silent. The only sounds I hear from my pc is disk scratching because I'm too cheap to dump 3TB of platter drives and replace them with SSD :v:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Skuto posted:

Installing the cooler on something like a socket-A Thunderbird was scary as hell and quite a few were broken in the process.

eh......you had to gently caress up pretty bad to crack the die on a socket A chip. i had a t-bird, a palomino, a t-bred, and a barton, never had any problems.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
You used a screwdriver to force the holding bracket in, which was way too stiff for that. I can see someone slipping and gouging the gently caress out of their board.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sormus posted:

You used a screwdriver to force the holding bracket in, which was way too stiff for that. I can see someone slipping and gouging the gently caress out of their board.

Pretty sure this was the #1 cause of all accidental motherboard stabbings. :ese:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm I mean i'm a bit weary of cracking open the gpu I've owned for about two weeks, I feel like the msi 970 I had spoiled me with how quiet it was in comparison to the FE blower. Even overclocked to 1500mhz the only time the fans were audible was during benchmarking.

I did want to get one with the msi cooler at the time, but when I bought it the FE was £400 and the msi gaming x was £450. At least I managed to sell the 970 for £200 :v:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Mikojan posted:

For the Belgians out there, I got it from ITWARE in St-Niklaas. They seem to have decent stock and it's delivered the next day.

Oh wonderful, thanks! I'll check them when I get home. (I am actually on a train that's just arriving in Sint Niklaas lol). I felt kinda burned by Alternate suddenly pricing the RX480 8gb for over 300 euros and I thought they were the Belgian retailer I could trust.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Fragrag posted:

Oh wonderful, thanks! I'll check them when I get home. (I am actually on a train that's just arriving in Sint Niklaas lol). I felt kinda burned by Alternate suddenly pricing the RX480 8gb for over 300 euros and I thought they were the Belgian retailer I could trust.

Just be wary, they are using an online payment platform that requests acces to your bank. After some shallow googling you are not 100% protected against fraud (or so I'm told). Just opt for a normal bank transfer and e-mail them a copy of the transaction. They reply instantly and initiate the delivery.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Hmmm I mean i'm a bit weary of cracking open the gpu I've owned for about two weeks, I feel like the msi 970 I had spoiled me with how quiet it was in comparison to the FE blower. Even overclocked to 1500mhz the only time the fans were audible was during benchmarking.

I did want to get one with the msi cooler at the time, but when I bought it the FE was £400 and the msi gaming x was £450. At least I managed to sell the 970 for £200 :v:

what sort of temperatures are you getting out of the FE? my gigabyte G1 is at something like 38C idle.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm liking my EVGA ACX 3.0. It sits around 30-32C idle. Fan won't even turn on til it hits 72C

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

No way lol. Water cooling is a dream for GPUs, in terms of sound. Pump noise is a non issue compared to even moderate fan noise on any card.

Depends on the pump. The ones EVGA uses for their hybrids have a high pitched whine which i cant stand.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Depends on the pump. The ones EVGA uses for their hybrids have a high pitched whine which i cant stand.

Yeah, a lot of Corsair Hydros and other AIO can sound clicky or rattly if there's air in the loop. The NewEgg refurbs I've gotten have been pretty good about it, but the brand new ones that sit on the shelf at Microcenter for a few years are much louder.

On that note though, there's a few manufacturers teasing pumpless AIO coolers: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52386/raijintek-demos-pumpless-liquid-cooling-system-computex/index.html

I'd be down to buy one of those if they had a good warranty.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Sormus posted:

Yup I totally did this with my 1GHz Thunderbird while trying to get the 8k RPM HSF on. Fortunately my motherboard survived the attack!

God drat that thing was loud, can't believe I slept in the same room with it on 24/7.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah, a lot of Corsair Hydros and other AIO can sound clicky or rattly if there's air in the loop.

You might be able to get rid of that by running the pump at 80% or 90%. At least that worked for me, couldn't be bothered with RMAing.

quote:

Just be wary, they are using an online payment platform that requests acces to your bank. After some shallow googling you are not 100% protected against fraud (or so I'm told).

SOFORT by any chance? Anything that requires you to enter confirmation codes in a site that is not from your brank will void fraud protection. Those systems are cheaper for the vendors but not "compatible" with Belgian banks. Ogone has almost a monopoly.

Anyway, they're also requiring you to enter your password and personal details over an insecure connection. gently caress them.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 13, 2016

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

fletcher posted:

Yup I totally did this with my 1GHz Thunderbird while trying to get the 8k RPM HSF on. Fortunately my motherboard survived the attack!

God drat that thing was loud, can't believe I slept in the same room with it on 24/7.

Vantec Tornado?

Holy poo poo Delta makes a 9000 rpm 80mm fan. 132 CFM if you can withstand the 65db sonic assault and 33W power draw.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Seamonster posted:

Vantec Tornado?

Holy poo poo Delta makes a 9000 rpm 80mm fan. 132 CFM if you can withstand the 65db sonic assault and 33W power draw.

f you mount enough of them on the bottom of your case you can make it move around your desk, making it the fastest gaming PC.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 13, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I built my first computer, high RPM 80mm fans were normal. I bought a case last year and it came with 140mm fans. The future is amazing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If you didn't have a tornado on top of your 2500+ how else would you have reached the promised land?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I had my XP-M 2500+ at a rock solid 2178 MHz, well short of its true potential, limited by a mediocre budget MSI mobo. I think I still have that chip...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Agilant army

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Seamonster posted:

How do you think they cool those skinny 2U servers with four 300W Tesla K80s in them :unsmigghh:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jm20 posted:

If you didn't have a tornado on top of your 2500+ how else would you have reached the promised land?

if your socket A chip wasn't cooled by a tornado+SLK-900, wow

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

wicka posted:

if your socket A chip wasn't cooled by a tornado+SLK-900, wow

Ohh i had an slk900 at one point. Ex wife probably still has it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....I was using some kind of Thermaltake product. The only thing I remember about it was that the fan was *orange*.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Had a big giant copper thermaltake HSF. Had an Athlon get so hot it burned the lettering on the die in to the copper :lol:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I had Thermaltake Volcano 12:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106035

of course I lapped it.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I love the big chunky thermal take coolers, Iirc at some point I had one of their passive coolers on a graphics card along with a 120mm fan in ye old days.

Back then I also had a kickin rad alpha pal 8045 that was just a massive solid block with u think hex shaped rods sticking up out of it?

Coupled it was an 80>120mm fan adaptor and one of those insane old loud delta fans, the type that drew so much power it would melt lesser fan busses. Overclocked I think a 1.4ghz thunderbird? to almost 3ghz and was beating guys on water. Pretty much as loud as a vacuum cleaner on full pelt. At one point I swear a was a little more deaf in my left ear than my right from the drat thing but boy it kicked out some air!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Seamonster posted:

I had Thermaltake Volcano 12:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106035

of course I lapped it.

aha, i owned this one as well

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Just got an ad in the mail from EVGA, they're selling their 970 SuperClocked +ACX 2.0 for $229, their 960 SC Gaming can be had for $129.

Also saw in their B-stock another 970 SC+ for $199;

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Massasoit posted:

The biggest thing you have to worry about is using too much thermal paste if you're replacing it. Specifically and only for conductive thermal grease. There are resistors and other electrical components around the GPU that would be effected by a conductive paste like Arctic Silver.

On Nvidia's side, I don't actually think there is an AIB that will void warranty for removing the heatsink. On AMD's side, I do believe there are two or three AIB that don't condone heatsink removal.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 13, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SlayVus posted:

The biggest thing you have to worry about is using too much thermal paste if you're replacing it. Specifically and only for conductive thermal grease. There are resistors and other electrical components around the GPU that would be effected by a conductive paste like Arctic Silver.

On Nvidia's side, I don't actually think there is an AIB that will void warranty for removing the heatsink. On AMD's side, I do believe there are two or three AIB that don't condone heatsink removal.

PNY will void your warranty for heatsink removal.

Use gelid extreme if you are retimming. its non conductive. make sure the entire die is covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

SlayVus posted:

My Palit card has those warranty seals on some of the screws. I can almost certainly say it's Gainward will also void it because of that.