Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Speaking of which, I haven't seen a more recent picture or video of Dave than sometime in the 80s or early 90s. Please tell me he still has that magnificent haircut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Speaking of which, I haven't seen a more recent picture or video of Dave than sometime in the 80s or early 90s. Please tell me he still has that magnificent haircut.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

1st AD posted:

I'm trying to imagine what would've happened if WCW got their hands on any UFC name that wasn't Tank. Imagine roided up Vitor or someone like that in 1999 :allears:

I wanted to see Josh Barnett in American wrestling. But he had no reason to choose WWE over NJPW and I'm sure he didn't have anything they were looking for, as they were no longer interested in a "shootfighter" at that point.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Thanks, now can I go back in time about half an hour?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

quote:

By the way, as a trivia note, the big bald guy that Tank runs around with is the same guy who ate Frank Shamrock's shoes after he poured Nachos on him and challenged him to a fight the night before a UFC show in late 1996.

what

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm pretty sure someone from Tank's entourage picking a fight and getting their rear end kicked by people who were actually real fighters was a weekly occurrence back then

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Who was in Tank's entourage, and how were they traveling with him? Did WCW hand out contracts to his friends like the No Limit Soldiers or something?

All I know about Tank behind the scenes in WCW was that he was always drinking beer in the bar of whatever hotel they were using.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Oh right, "ate shoes" in the sense of being kicked, not actually eating Ken's shoes.

I'm not sure why it took me that long to figure that out.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Asya, under her real name of Christi Wolf, was on the Jenny Jones show on 5/31 playing the role of someone who was a geek in high school and look at her now. Now she's no longer a geek. She's just a woman who looks like a guy on steroids with giant implants. Essentially, a different form of carnival geek

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh right, "ate shoes" in the sense of being kicked, not actually eating Ken's shoes.

I'm so disapointed

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
"after pouring nachos on him" kind of threw me for a loop.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
If I remember my old observers right, it was pretty much what you imagine. Tank was trying to pick a fight with Ken Shamrock so his guys were messing with the Shamrock camp, and unsurprisingly whatever unknown street fighter this guy was got his rear end handed to him by Frank Shamrock

I believe the whole thing went down at the cafeteria wherever UFC was being held, hence the nachos

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I didn't follow the UFC in those days, but how much notoriety did Tank have at that point? I remember hearing about Tank signing with WCW and expecting a Ken Shamrock-eque steroid monster, and then getting a fat piece of poo poo who couldn't work. And also couldn't really fight.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

What I want to know is if the nachos were covered with cheese, and if so, what kind.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZApublican posted:

What I want to know is if the nachos were covered with cheese, and if so, what kind.

What? Nachos inherently have cheese otherwise they are just chips.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 13, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

1st AD posted:

I didn't follow the UFC in those days, but how much notoriety did Tank have at that point? I remember hearing about Tank signing with WCW and expecting a Ken Shamrock-eque steroid monster, and then getting a fat piece of poo poo who couldn't work. And also couldn't really fight.
Tank was a scary guy in the early UFCs when they featured not only boxers and kickboxers with no grappling experience, but sumo and karate guys who had never fought full contact. There were already better conditioned fighters with a more complete skillset, like Shamrock, Severn, and Ruas. But the spectacle of this chubby "pit fighter" taking on a guy who claimed to be a master of some ancient obscure martial art, whaling on him until he was convulsing on the mat, and joking about it afterwards, contributed to a lot to the image of the UFC as a vicious bloodsport where martial arts from the movies were bullshit.

When he lost, it was usually a long, boring match that showed his lack of conditioning, ending in a decision or submission. When he won, it was with a quick submission or a beating that made you seriously wonder if his opponent was dead. I imagine a lot of people who haven't followed MMA in recent years still remember Tank Abbott. And they only remember those vicious knockouts, not all the times he lost.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 13, 2016

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Tank Abbot sucked, but he was over, so UFC tried to feed him lovely fighters (and he still was out of shape and lost to a lot of them)

Thank god his time in WCW was 10000x more entertaining than that

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Took me even longer

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Tank Abbot sucked, but he was over, so UFC tried to feed him lovely fighters (and he still was out of shape and lost to a lot of them)

Thank god his time in WCW was 10000x more entertaining than that

Yeah Singing Tank Abbot was pretty cool and while Russo sucks he found the one thing that Tank could be entertaining at AND it was a thing that Tank enjoyed anyways.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The way Saturn lost the tag match makes me think they really wanted to make him look good, but it's not like he was pushed after this. Or did they try briefly?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

1st AD posted:

At one point whenever the mainstream showed footage of the UFC or "cage fighting" in general the image used was always him throwing someone out of the cage. That image was pretty well known, but at the same time people didn't know him by name.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

The way Saturn lost the tag match makes me think they really wanted to make him look good, but it's not like he was pushed after this. Or did they try briefly?

They definitely liked Saturn, but he was going to drop the titles last night, 2 on 1 or not. Raven was actually injured, and Kanyon was supposed to actually turn heel and join DDP and Bam Bam, but they pushed it off a week because Raven was hurt

But then after that it was 1999 WCW. Raven quits in August, Saturn gets a middling push with Malenko and Douglas, finds out that that Sullivan hates him, and then stays until Souled Out 2000 when he, Malenko, and Eddie all walk after Sullivan is made the booker.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

At one point whenever the mainstream showed footage of the UFC or "cage fighting" in general the image used was always him throwing someone out of the cage. That image was pretty well known, but at the same time people didn't know him by name.
People liked Abbott because he was the real-life version of Donald Gibb's character from Bloodsport.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I wanted to see Josh Barnett in American wrestling. But he had no reason to choose WWE over NJPW and I'm sure he didn't have anything they were looking for, as they were no longer interested in a "shootfighter" at that point.

In my TEW game where I ran TNA from 2004 onward, D'Lo Brown and Josh Barnett were the most dominant team in the tag division.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Halloween Jack posted:

People liked Abbott because he was the real-life version of Donald Gibb's character from Bloodsport.

Exactly.

Tank Abbott was like the proto version of Roy Nelson, for those of you who follow MMA today. People seem to love big fat sloppy guys who are naturally quick-ish and punch real hard.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

joshtothemaxx posted:

Exactly.

Tank Abbott was like the proto version of Roy Nelson, for those of you who follow MMA today. People seem to love big fat sloppy guys who are naturally quick-ish and punch real hard.

It gives other fat slobs something to aspire to

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tank Abbott's MMA record - 10 wins, 15 losses.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Why on earth did Tank try to shave that man's beard on Nitro?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Beer_Suitcase posted:

He asked WCW management if he could use a weapon in the segment. WCW said yes.

It turns out his idea of a weapon is not the traditional wrestling thought of chair/kendo stick/etc, but a knife. The "shave the beard" line was attempting to desperately save the fact that Tank just threatened to slit a guy's throat.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Did you see that beard? My god.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Funkchop posted:

we also got a classic El Dandy moment

Who's this rear end in a top hat?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Regrettable posted:

Who's this rear end in a top hat?

El Dandy

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

titties posted:

El Dandy

Please do not doubt him.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What would be the final moment where WCW had a chance of turning the ship around and becoming a legit contender against WWF? Things were way too far gone in 2000 and 1999. When did the financials go so to poo poo that there was no fixing it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

OldTennisCourt posted:

What would be the final moment where WCW had a chance of turning the ship around and becoming a legit contender against WWF? Things were way too far gone in 2000 and 1999. When did the financials go so to poo poo that there was no fixing it?

One second before they hired Vince Russo.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

OldTennisCourt posted:

Well WCW was a legit contender for a few years, I'll assume you meant 'become a legit contender against the WWF again'.
It's a tough question and the answer probably goes beyond anything we'd see on television.
-It could be argued that WCW was doomed before its ascent even began. Being part of a very large and very (at least their branch of it) incompetent/apathetic corporate infrastructure meant that no matter how successful WCW became, it would have eaten itself from the inside even if they had succeeded in becoming the sole National Wrestling product.
-You could also argue that WCW's downfall was inevitable with the rise of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and the attitude era. Creatively WCW had already blown its load and didn't (and couldn't) have another act hot enough to rival the nuclear heat the WWF had generated. Even the ascent of Goldberg only tipped the scales once. Had they been able to weather the storm much like WWF did in 96-97 while the nWo was the hottest thing in wrestling they might have been able to make a comeback around 2000-2001 when the attitude era started to wind down a little. That would have necessitated a very strong new act that wasn't just a rehash of the 40 somethings they kept shuffling around the main event. It would have also necessitated not alienating the most talented members of their mid/upper midcard; since their defection gave the WWF new legs even if Jericho and the Radicalz didn't necessarily main event very much at first.
-You could also just say 'Fingerpoke of Doom'. Not even the poke itself. More that WCW's booking just ceased to have any kind of cohesiveness after that. Half the main event scene shifted from face/heel in the 3 months following the fingerpoke. Hogan and Nash turned face...somehow. I'm not even sure the logic behind it because there wasn't any. Flair and DDP turned heel. The nWo was confusing as hell between Hogan and Nash being faces and Scott Steiner being heel and everybody else leaving. There was the Flair/Hogan cage match, which had that asinine 'Charles Robinson isn't calling for the bell in this first blood cage match even though nobody mentioned that the match was first blood and hell if the commentators could walk us through it). The US belt jumped from Hart to Piper to Hall...who got stripped because putting a belt on Scott Hall in 1999 was lunacy. Goldberg getting left in limbo; I can only assume because Hogan and Nash decided they were done with being heels and because they're Hogan and Nash the rest of WCW's plans had to move to suit them. Nothing made sense. There was no clear motivation or narrative for any of it-except oddly for Randy Savage even though he'd wind up playing both face and heel in different segments in the same hour (Savage had clear motivations. He wanted to get reinstated. He wanted the title. The fact that the one of the obstacles was a face and one was a heel was inconsequential. And I am fine with that even if mid-life crisis Macho Man is one of the sadder things I've ever seen in wrestling).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's really tricky to analyze because if such a point exists, you can't mark it as a particular period on television. One of the big lessons to take away from WCW is that when you have a hot product with a major star, you can make a lot of mistakes that won't visibly hurt you until much later. But they will hurt you.

A key example being that things weren't as bad as you think in 1999. 1998 had been the biggest year for any wrestling company in history, and the Fingerpoke on January 4th was actually the peak of their house show business. Buys and ratings had improved. In early 1999 there was still time to try to make things up to the fans with regard to Goldberg and other squandered opportunities, not kill Flair's drawing power, and avoid a lot of expensive and stupid segments and celebrity appearances yet to come. There was also a renegotiation cycle later that year that allowed them to negotiate a lot of their talent contracts down to something more reasonable, which probably should have gone further than it did.

That said, Russo wasn't to blame for as many of WCW's problems as people seem to assume. Russo was awful and incompetent in almost every conceivable way, but he wasn't signed to WCW until 1999, well after most of the business-killing angles people remember. If a wizard sent me back in time to January 1999 with a mission to save WCW, and I had to choose between firing Bischoff or not hiring Russo, I'd fire Bischoff. Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here, but sometimes it seems that people believe Russo was responsible for every dumb WCW incident going back to Robocop and the Black Scorpion.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 14, 2016

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

That's really tricky to analyze because if such a point exists, you can't mark it as a particular period on television. One of the big lessons to take away from WCW is that when you have a hot product with a major star, you can make a lot of mistakes that won't visibly hurt you until much later. But they will hurt you.

A key example being that things weren't as bad as you think in 1999. 1998 had been the biggest year for any wrestling company in history, and the Fingerpoke on January 4th was actually the peak of their house show business. Buys and ratings had improved. In early 1999 there was still time to try to make things up to the fans with regard to Goldberg and other squandered opportunities, not kill Flair's drawing power, and avoid a lot of expensive and stupid segments and celebrity appearances yet to come. There was also a renegotiation cycle later that year that allowed them to negotiate a lot of their talent contracts down to something more reasonable, which probably should have gone further than it did.

That said, Russo wasn't to blame for as many of WCW's problems as people seem to assume. Russo was awful and incompetent in almost every conceivable way, but he wasn't signed to WCW until 1999, well after most of the business-killing angles people remember. If a wizard sent me back in time to January 1999 with a mission to save WCW, and I had to choose between firing Bischoff or not hiring Russo, I'd fire Bischoff. Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here, but sometimes it seems that people believe Russo was responsible for every dumb WCW incident going back to Robocop and the Black Scorpion.

Yeah Russo is incompetent, but WCW had some deep structural issues that never got fixed and were carried over from the JCP days. Like irresponsible spending bankrupting the company once houses and PPV's went down. Or Dusty Rhodes is spending all of the 80's trying to kill Ric Flair's heat, and a decade later you have Hogan doing the same thing to Sting and Nash doing the same thing to Goldberg. Like imagine if 1999 WCW had a strong Sting vs. Goldberg program that culminated in a Goldberg title win at Starrcade?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I feel like at the point where Disco and Ernst "the cat" Miller matches were like 50 percent of the actual matches every nitro that things were pretty unsalvage-able. Some fun stuff in 98 but 99 seems to have been a lot of wheel spinning with the main eventers and everyone lower on the card were kind of forgettable/incompetently booked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013
Sting winning and losing the world title in the same night was pretty unforgivable too. Not to mention that he won it from DDP and then lost it back to him even though DDP hadn't been built up at all for a main event push