Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I cut myself on boxes all the time and it's an incredibly disconcerting feeling to get a papercut from cardboard that thick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Inspector_666 posted:

I cut myself on boxes all the time and it's an incredibly disconcerting feeling to get a papercut from cardboard that thick.

It's worse than regular paper IMO. I think it tears more or something like that. I'm pretty much immune to standard business laser printer paper, but a cardboard papercut I know will hurt for days.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Years ago my first "real" IT job was as Hardware Support contracted to a major credit card/financial institution. It was an interesting gig and I learned a lot. (And that building is still wired for Token Ring to this day, so giant hilarious TR-to-Ethernet brick adapters are EVERYWHERE under desks, they used to get smashed by feet daily).

I think I still have the little wooden plaque that IBM/Lenovo used to give out to the dudes that got warranty certified for their hardware. Good times, but it got to be a little draining after a while, and this was in the era of IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads that had 7 different screw lengths and replacing a mobo involved removing about 50 screws. No thanks.

I'll never forget the Avaya guy they had insisting that the whole VOIP thing would never take off and traditional telephony would stay king forever. God I miss him.

Company Mime
May 21, 2002
Back...to the Banning!
Dealing with sperglord IT 'cyber-security' experts that go on about how a 'watering hole' attack will get me if I access a site that's hosted on the same colo'd server behind a router...aye

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I dropped a rack-mounted UPS on my big toe. I'm really lucky that didn't break it, it still hurts when I think about it. The server closet was literally a closet. The rack was maybe 6" from the door, which was too narrow to get the rack through. The best part was the UPS they sent required a four-post rack and they had a 2 post. I ended up having to just set it on the bottom of the rack after it snapped the mounts. They had a tower style UPS before that. That is what happens when the people ordering the parts have never seen the client site.

Broke my foot while sitting in front of my computer working. Was sitting with crossed legs, and that somehow cut of the blood supply to my left foot, stood up, and promptly slammed my "sleeping" foot into the ground.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Was it the worst pain ever?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Do a large amount of sysadmins come up from the ranks of DC tech? Seems like most people here have way more experience with server hardware than I do, having come from helpdesk type work, and never having been allowed to touch hardware even once I moved to admin.
In a lot of smaller (<500 employees) companies sysadmin and DC tech is the same role. If you're unlucky you're a one-role shop where you have to do end user support, system administration, project work and DC maintenance at the same time.

I think I've managed to avoid any serious work injury so far. It's mostly been a couple of busted knuckles when installing hardware or getting minor cuts from rough edges on racks. I did fall down a flight of stairs one time, but walked away with just a few bruises.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Company Mime posted:

Dealing with sperglord IT 'cyber-security' experts that go on about how a 'watering hole' attack will get me if I access a site that's hosted on the same colo'd server behind a router...aye
The industry is filled with them.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Eh, besides banging my head a lot under desks I've not had any injuries yet, but I'm sure my time will come.

The last UPS I ordered came in for delivery but it was a tower model instead of the rack mount model I requested, it was a struggle to even flip the box on its side so I left that poo poo at the door for the delivery guy to come pick up again.

Even when the rack model came in I stripped out the parts it was still drat heavy, luckily we've got a platform on wheels I used to scoot it to the cabinet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jesus, you all just made me flash back to the mid/late 90s working on white box desktop computers. I sliced my hand up so badly on a steel burr on one of the inside case edges I had to get stitches and a tetanus shot.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Steel bur's you say? Let me tell you about reaching through a forest of cat5 bundles all secured by zip ties that had MOST of the ends snipped off.

Nothing but hamburger came out the other side.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Kidney Stone posted:

Broke my foot while sitting in front of my computer working. Was sitting with crossed legs, and that somehow cut of the blood supply to my left foot, stood up, and promptly slammed my "sleeping" foot into the ground.

Done this at home. Feel asleep a weird way, alarm goes off and I notice I'm running late. Launch myself out of bed, vaguely feel a pop in my foot, and then suddenly I'm on the floor.

Dick Trauma posted:

Initially no. Once my foot woke up I really, REALLY wished it hadn't. Crutches for weeks.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

Steel bur's you say? Let me tell you about reaching through a forest of cat5 bundles all secured by zip ties that had MOST of the ends snipped off.
Another strong argument against zip ties.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Another strong argument against zip ties.

So close to getting it right.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I fell out of a drop ceiling once and landing on a folding table, WWE-style. It didn't break, though. :smith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AS/400 guy ticket update of the day

quote:

I run look at a report each day to make sure the orders a importing

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

I fell out of a drop ceiling once and landing on a folding table, WWE-style. It didn't break, though. :smith:

So many destroyed drop tiles running cable. I do NOT miss my cable jockey/computer janitor days of the 90s one bit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why are you climbing around inside the drop ceiling? It's not designed to support a person's weight.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Why are you climbing around inside the drop ceiling? It's not designed to support a person's weight.

Large 3 foot plenum. Many times had to go up into the support beams for the roof because the cable pull got tied up. Foot slips and welp.

Mostly due to stupid and laziness. Don't want to move the ladder and I can probably spider-man it using the steel supports (I couldn't)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I suspect dick trauma is in fact the worst pain ever

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I was on top of a wall, not the ceiling. But I was reaching over to get a wire out of a hook, reached too far and down I went.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I was on top of a wall, not the ceiling. But I was reaching over to get a wire out of a hook, reached too far and down I went.

There is something from the construction industry climb safety that I learned and applied to crawling around above ceilings: Three points of contact with one grappling (not just contact, but actual holding). This has saved me (and multiple tile installations) so many times that I started teaching it to IT people as core safety.

I recommend it to everyone, even if they are on a ladder: Two feet (not a butt) on the ladder and one hand always holding onto something when working up top.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Before we went to ladders for our cabling, all the wires were stuffed under the raised floor. Not actually better than running wires through a dropped ceiling, but at least there was no fall risk.

It was just endless piles of cat5 because someone used a 200 foot cable to do a 20 foot run. And then that one where someone used a 25 foot cable to make a 20 foot run so there was basically a tightrope wound around the supports. There was at least one rack a ways back that had such a giant coil of cabling below it that it couldn't suck enough cool air and kept overheating the servers. Solution? A box fan. :downs:

There was also the joy of trying to get floor tiles back into their hole without leaving a lip stuck up that people would trip on.

But now we have ladders with cables cut to precise length and it's all done by contractors and life is good.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Apparently I didn't complete my post about almost killing myself with a power supply as a teenager. I blew the PSU because I didn't know that a bigger graphics needs a non-poo poo PSU. I opened it up to see if I could find what was wrong. Then I plugged it back in to see if it had started working. Repeat a few times, and I forgot to unplug it. Thankfully I shocked myself before my hand really got in there, so I yanked it out immediately. Knowing what I do now, maybe God actually does protect fools and children.

Arsten posted:

There is something from the construction industry climb safety that I learned and applied to crawling around above ceilings: Three points of contact with one grappling (not just contact, but actual holding).

QFT, although I learned it from my grandfather for climbing trees. From my experience in construction, though, by the time the electricians get in you have to do gymnastics on top of the ladder to get around all the poo poo that's been put in first. Usually on a too-short ladder because there's poo poo in the way of a properly sized ladder too.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 13, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I put a server rack in the corner of an used office in an old building.

We had to add extra power sockets, so I got the company electrician to wire in some extra ones. because the wiring was a bit of a mess, we ran a trace on the power to the sockets to find the right breaker for that floor.

Because he was an intelligent sparky, he also tested a socket on the wall to make sure it was isolated before working.

I went to get him a cup of tea and when I came back, he was sitting very still on the desk, looking very shaken up.

Turned out that the wiring for the sockets in the room all ran off the same circuit (as expected).....except one socket adjacent to the one he double-checked. Which ran off the circuit for the room next door for no discernable reason and so was live.

240v can really ruin your day.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Never had a injury on the job as a embedded linux engineer other than throwing out my back due to a sneeze + lovely chairs (I have huge sneezes).

I did drop a Honda engine on my chest once. Not super heavy but it hurt to breath for a while.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Raerlynn posted:

Done this at home. Feel asleep a weird way, alarm goes off and I notice I'm running late. Launch myself out of bed, vaguely feel a pop in my foot, and then suddenly I'm on the floor.

Did something similar 10 years or so ago (no broken bones though), I had taken some nyquil, was sitting at my computer while I waited for it to kick in, started getting tired so I got up to go to bed, went to move my right foot and apparently the left was asleep, I went face first into the hardwood floor.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

In a lot of smaller (<500 employees) companies sysadmin and DC tech is the same role. If you're unlucky you're a one-role shop where you have to do end user support, system administration, project work and DC maintenance at the same time.

I think I've managed to avoid any serious work injury so far. It's mostly been a couple of busted knuckles when installing hardware or getting minor cuts from rough edges on racks. I did fall down a flight of stairs one time, but walked away with just a few bruises.

Completely true. The injury a lot of people get from casual datacenter work doesn't manifest for awhile when you realize your hearing is much more shot than it was years ago. Wear the drat earmuffs.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 13, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Disk arrays sound loud enough when they're healthy but when a fan drops so the rest of them go to max rpm... :tviv:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hosed up my ears pretty good as a teenager so server room fans don't influence me much.

Though I wear earplugs anyways because at some point I realized that hearing is pretty useful and figured I'd make an effort to preserve what I have left.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
My boss has been bugging me to get rid of the rest of our ten Server 2003 boxes for the past couple months, with several caveats:
Some servers will be replaced at some point in the future, because they're for a product we'll be moving away from at some point in the future. There is no timeline for getting off of this product, and I don't think we've finalized the replacement yet.
Two of the servers will be removed when we move to Office 365 in the next couple of months.
Three of the servers could have been replaced three months ago, but we didn't have storage. We've had a shelf sitting in our office but somehow we never got approved to hooking it up until last week. It didn't actually get hooked up until last night, because the 2U gap in the rack where we were going to install it has power cables running through it, so we had to move another piece of equipment to another rack first.
One of the servers has "a service on it that sends email" and that's all we know about it. My boss decided that he was going to move this service off and then didn't. Today he asks me to take a look at it, and it has its own batch file installer that calls installutil.exe. He got stuck because on Server 2012R2, it threw an error that it couldn't create an entry in the Security Event Viewer. All I had to do was change the batch file to point to the full path for the file that installutil was looking at and it installed. That's all my boss thinks needs to be done, but the config file looks for a local database so I'm just going to install SQL Express and migrate the database over and involve him as little as possible and tell him when it's done.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Not pissing me off: Having actual decent users.

Grabbed a few tickets to help out the overloaded NOC, and they are all like this:

quote:

TL;DR: Can you do XYZ for me?

Hey, I messed up $SERVER and I THINK the best way to fix it is to do XYZ, but here's what 'm trying to do, and what I think i broke...
[...]

I love getting tickets like this when I have no need to call someone back.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

nitrogen posted:

Not pissing me off: Having actual decent users.

Grabbed a few tickets to help out the overloaded NOC, and they are all like this:

I love getting tickets like this when I have no need to call someone back.

Jesus i wish people would say what they were doing and why when servers break, I'm lucky if someone even admits to breaking a server, 99% of the time I just stumble on broken poo poo when I'm doing other things, only to find out that it has been broken for days/weeks/months.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We keep our servers pretty well locked down, users can't really break anything except their own software. We just fire up a host, make their accounts, and stay hands off.

But we still get tickets for dumb poo poo, like they gently caress up the config for the software they wrote and come to us expecting help. Or not letting us upgrade to RHEL7 and getting fussy that they're stuck on python 2.6.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

MF_James posted:

Jesus i wish people would say what they were doing and why when servers break, I'm lucky if someone even admits to breaking a server, 99% of the time I just stumble on broken poo poo when I'm doing other things, only to find out that it has been broken for days/weeks/months.

As long as they are breaking their dev, stage, or test environments, I want them to break whatever they want.

Now I have a really weird question about some strange behavior; and I might just have my assumptions wrong, so let me lay the whole thing out. If anyone can help me out or provide any other guidance, i'd be very happy.

code:
Hosts: VMware ESXi, 5.5.0, 1623387
Guest: OL 6.7
Kernel: 3.8.13-98.2.1.el6uek.x86_64

[root@lgvm100 ~]# lscpu
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    1
Socket(s):             4
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 63
Stepping:              2
CPU MHz:               2499.998
BogoMIPS:              4999.99
Hypervisor vendor:     VMware
Virtualization type:   full
L1d cache:             32K
L1i cache:             32K
L2 cache:              256K
L3 cache:              30720K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3
[root@lgvm100 ~]#

If I have a guest set up for 4 cpu's, 2 cores per socket, the last 2 CPU's ill rarely see any action at all.
I Can run something like:

code:
stress --cpu 4 --timeout 10
and then watch cpu load on only the first 2 processors go up. (cpu 0 and 1 by the os's values)

I can manually set task affinity for stress, and then have it use the last 2 cpu's with something like this:

code:
taskset -c 2,3 stress --cpu 4 --timeout 10 
and it'll use the last 2 cpu's only. (Cpu's 3 and 4 by the OS's values)

task affinity is set everywhere I checked as cpus 0-3

code:
[root@lgvm100 ~]# taskset -c -p 1
pid 1's current affinity list: 0-3
I'm running under the assumption that there should be no difference in having 2 cores vs 1 core per socket where vmware's concerned, but the OS certainly acts differently.
What am I missing? I bet it's hilariously dumb.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Goddamnit conference call people mute your goddamn mics you fuckin' idiots.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

500 person call, with join/depart beeps.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

Wait until one of them puts the call on hold and you have to hear their hold music.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Wait until one of them puts the call on hold and you have to hear their hold music.

or turns on video and is jerking off and you can hear the grunts and see the Cheetos covered dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dick Trauma posted:

For some reason this reminds me of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL24aNugo_4