Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
He did grow bigger.

Thor 1 is fine, its a decent fish out of water story and Thor does have a good arc from being a self important entitled douche to learning what it means to be a true hero. It's 2 that's all over the place. It probably doesn't help that outside of Hemsworth and Hiddelston, no one else seems like they really want to be there out of the primary cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Huh. The Wonder Woman film is co-written by Geoff Johns and Allan Heinberg.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

twistedmentat posted:

He did grow bigger.

Thor 1 is fine, its a decent fish out of water story and Thor does have a good arc from being a self important entitled douche to learning what it means to be a true hero. It's 2 that's all over the place. It probably doesn't help that outside of Hemsworth and Hiddelston, no one else seems like they really want to be there out of the primary cast.

Pretty sure Zachary Levi was absolutely thrilled to now be in a Marvel movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently, Colin Firth is going to be back in the next Kingsman movie.

They've gone back and forth on this a lot, haven't they?

Edit: I was actually thinking when I rewatched the movie recently, the world of Kingsman must be pretty hosed after millions of people presumably killed each other all over the place and all or most of the world leaders had their heads blown up at the end of the first one.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 12, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

theflyingorc posted:

Pretty sure Zachary Levi was absolutely thrilled to now be in a Marvel movie.

I meant main cast, the supporting all looked like they were enjoying it.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

better than Goyer, at least

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

Story by - Zack Snyder !!!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bees. My God.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Annnnnd there goes my interest in Wonder Woman.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

This is...good? Not good? Very bad?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well...both of them have written Wonder Woman in the past, prominently. On the upside, both of them have a good grasp of the lore, so I don't think we'll end up with, like, the Whedon script for instance, which read like it was written by someone who'd just read his first WW an hour after he got the job.

On the downside, neither of them are -- in my opinion -- the sort of writers who really got to the core of what makes WW work, and who could get readers to share in that core. And for all their esteem of the character, both of them have made some rather annoying decisions with her in the past. They're far from my last choices for the gig, but certainly wouldn't be the first either. I suspect we'll end up getting something similar to the WW in Johns' recent Justice League run which is inoffensive enough, but not much more than that.

A lot of it will depend on Patty Jenkins either way, I suppose.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wonder Woman, a story by two old white guys. Super gripping, yo.

//Ok, in fairness i'll amend that to say Heinberg at least did Young Avengers.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 13, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wonder Woman is old and white.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is she a Republican

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It will be really weird hearing Diana talk about how much cooler Aquaman is than everyone else.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The man who helped write the Green Lantern film will save the DCCU.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
He can hardly make it worse.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What'll be strange is halfway through the film when Diana abruptly dies and Hal Jordan takes over.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I hope you're prepared for a Wonder Woman Origin where everything is desperately trying to be over-clever. She gets her name because she WONDERS about things in Man's world.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Neither of them wrote any of the Green Lantern movie.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

FilthyImp posted:

Wonder Woman, a story by two old white guys. Super gripping, yo.

//Ok, in fairness i'll amend that to say Heinberg at least did Young Avengers.

He also did Children's Crusade.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

I hope you're prepared for a Wonder Woman Origin where everything is desperately trying to be over-clever. She gets her name because she WONDERS about things in Man's world.
"I wonder how this world could have fallen into a great war?"
"Hey, getta load'a this wondering woman, what's yer name, toots!"
"By Hera!"
*ragtime montage*

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Zachack posted:

"I wonder how this world could have fallen into a great war?"
"Hey, getta load'a this wondering woman, what's yer name, toots!"
"By Hera!"
*ragtime montage*

"Hey Steve, isn't that Diana something?"

"Yeah, she's a real WONDER! A Wonder... WOMAN!"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

What'll be strange is halfway through the film when Diana abruptly dies and Barry Allen takes over.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

As a rule when you're trying to be snarky you need to be correct. Johns never killed anyone off to bring in original flavour characters.

Diana would still be in the movie, just not as much and also a different race.

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

Great, now I'll be expecting Tony Wonder to show up whenever the word is mentioned in the movie.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
How much bondage fetish will the movie include though? Gotta stay true to the spirit of the original, right?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I wonder is there any sort of metrics around that might indicate how popular the DCU is vs the MU (comics) in different territories? FWIW, I am in the UK and have been interested in comics for 25+years, and know a lot of similar people. Hardly anyone I ever talked to is interested in the DCU (comics or movies) aside from Batman. The reason I wonder about this is because this thread seems to spend what to me seems a lot more time discussing the DCU movies than Marvel. I honestly don't know anyone who will care about the Wonder Woman, Aquaman or JL movies and despite having seen every comic book movie so far in the cinema I will probably not bother with those. I just have a feeling people in the US appreciate those DC movies more, for whatever reason.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I remember someone in CD mentioning that BvS is really popular in Latin American countries.

lomzus posted:

Story by - Zack Snyder !!!

So we can probably expect the movie to as castratingly anti-misogyny as Sucker Punch? Maybe that was mostly Debbie Snyder though.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 13, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I remember someone in CD mentioning that BvS is really popular in Latin American countries.

So's King of Fighters, didn't save SNK.

The MSJ posted:

So we can probably expect the movie to as castratingly anti-misogyny as Sucker Punch? Maybe that was mostly Debbie Snyder though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpKr02Ab8OU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SNK failed because they made bad consoles, like Microsoft but without the money to back it up.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

kaesarsosei posted:

I wonder is there any sort of metrics around that might indicate how popular the DCU is vs the MU (comics) in different territories? FWIW, I am in the UK and have been interested in comics for 25+years, and know a lot of similar people. Hardly anyone I ever talked to is interested in the DCU (comics or movies) aside from Batman. The reason I wonder about this is because this thread seems to spend what to me seems a lot more time discussing the DCU movies than Marvel. I honestly don't know anyone who will care about the Wonder Woman, Aquaman or JL movies and despite having seen every comic book movie so far in the cinema I will probably not bother with those. I just have a feeling people in the US appreciate those DC movies more, for whatever reason.

Anywhere the Marvel films aren't the most popular American superhero movies would be an aberration. Just guessing, here, but I assume that Batman would generally be the next most popular, and then X-men and non-Bat DC fight it out.

We talk DC movies here because of some turdboners who can't stand not having the conversation orbit themselves and how smart they want to sound. They sprayed MoS-chat all over the thread until BvS came out and proved even more unpopular, at which point they switched to that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also most of the Marvel movies really don't have any depth (not that the DC ones do) and there's only so much you can talk about. Discussion lasts like 2 weeks after release and then it's all about upcoming releases.

The ones that do try to say a bit more, like Winter Soldier and... pretty much just Winter Soldier had people talking about them for months.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 13, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Civil War isn't the worst movie ever but I definitely can't imagine sustaining a long conversation about it either.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I had a p. long text message conversation about Civil War's thematic consistency and about the problem trying to join superhero genre tropes with reality-based politics, but the conversation here was drowning in brown Ayn Rand grimace movies at the time, so I didn't try to say much about it here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The movie didn't really have time to delve into that very much. As much as people complained at how vague and mutable and sweeping the registration act was in the comics, at least we had some idea of what it contained. All we know about the movie's accords is that they exist. It might as well be a post-it note that says "Red Tape But Also Accountability Maybe? PS - Buy Eggs"

They also make the conflict almost entirely devoid of ideology. Tony and Cap's actions (supporting the accord, going after bucky in spite of the crisis, wanting to kill bucky because 'he killed my mommy') are driven entirely by personal emotions and they get mad at each other for same. There are a few extremely vague lines of dialogue where they make their case but it's far from being the driving force of the film as the title would suggest.

I heard someone say that the film really is two stories smooshed together in a way that lets neither one of them breathe. Captain America: Winter Soldier 2 needed more room for Bucky to actually grow as a character and for Cap to have anything like a supporting cast outside of the Avengers. He has no arc at all in a film in which he loving stars, unless you count hearing a speech at a funeral. It needed more focus on Zemo's motivations, on what exactly Bucky did while in the hands of Hydra and the Soviets, and it needed a proper villain. You needed a new threat to be combated with the aid of Bucky, not a bunch of misunderstandings and hero on hero fights.

Avengers 3: Civil War on the other hand, needed a ton more time on the contents of the accords, on the exact details. Cap just mumbling about how red tape and agendas are bad isn't enough for this kind of story to work, you need to do things like directly call back to the council trying to nuke NYC and Hydra's infiltration of SHIELD as arguments for why this might be a bad idea. You needed heroes to choose sides based on their feelings about the law, not their feelings about Cap helping his buddy. You needed things like this:

Or things like a nice unregistered hero being arrested for helping civilians, to illustrate the stakes of the conflict and how this new rule is affecting the world. You needed Spider-man to actually understand anything that's going on around him, maybe even doubt Tony's side after the big battle.

But there wasn't enough room for any of that, because they wanted to also tell an entirely unrelated story. Black Panther had to be relegated to wanting to hurt Captain America's Pal just to give him some semblance of use in the film. Everything short of Vision and Wanda's argument came down to how people felt about Bucky, a character who hasn't been allowed to have any personality since getting blasted off a train in 2011.

I mean I still enjoyed the film overall (not enough to be a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat to everyone who criticizes it while constantly implying their opinion is invalid because they're too stupid to understand the themes of a dumb superhero movie, mind you), but it has really obvious weaknesses and it's frustrating, because the people involved had all the tools to make one or two good movies, but they did a bad compromise and damaged both of the narratives the film was trying to convey.

At least I got to see Tony Stark get the poo poo beaten out of him.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So what you're saying is that the movie can't stay on one conflict and make it meaningful.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I liked what they did with Zemo. The comic version isn't super well known by most people so it's nice that they went for something different.

My biggest problem with the film was the lack of mention during the scene where Ross shows that video about how many people they saved in NYC by preventing its destruction. Or how if they hadn't been in Sokovia the entire continent or more would have been wiped out.

And yes, the pro-Accord side leaves out that SHIELD, who was supposed to regulate the Avengers and others, was infiltrated for decades by HYDRA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Because Thunderbolt Ross is a poo poo who can't stand anybody being more powerful then America's military and by proxy him. It was a big guilt trip applied when they were at a low point.

• Locked thread