Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah but they could have at least fixed obvious outlying bugs/issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

There's 131 characters right now (jesus) so there's no reason to get attached to any of them.

I actually asked the Riot champion design lead about this during an official QA, whether there was a point where there were diminishing returns for releasing new champions, and if reworks were going to become more common.

His answer: $$$$$$

(actually he didn't answer, but I imagine that's what he was thinking)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly if you look at the past year that's kind of already happened. in the past year there's only been 5 champions released, but the champion class updates are a big bundle of reworks.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Which is good, since their reworks have been far better than their releases (besides visually).

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Which is good, since their reworks have been far better than their releases (besides visually).

Including visually

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
the new champ is a young girl who has struggled to come to terms with the fact that she has a bigass head. though she may seem shy and introverted to others, it's simply because her teeth are crooked as well. her aoe kayle ult teleports you to the baron pit

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Lovechop posted:

the new champ is a young girl who has struggled to come to terms with the fact that she has a bigass head. though she may seem shy and introverted to others, it's simply because her teeth are crooked as well. her aoe kayle ult teleports you to the baron pit

Poppy was a remake not a new champ

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Including visually

grrr im a swampass pirate look how dang dark and old i am has nothing on crazy chest pube pirate and his YOHO-ing

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
ok well if you didn't like that idea how about this one: a wu tang

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lovechop posted:

ok well if you didn't like that idea how about this one: a wu tang

only if his other skin makes him white

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my fav. new champ design fact is that they were people at riot who hated tahm's hat. just imagine that. people who take their fake-anime moba where a big-rear end dog boy fights vivi from ff9 but evil so seriously that they get mad about a fish dude having a doofy hat.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

Hearthstone is pretty early in its life, but the competitive balance has been pretty bad. However, it's actually much, much better than Starcraft. If you want to see a game developer completely fail at balancing a competitive game, just read about 10 minutes about the Starcraft meta.

There's an alternate universe where Blizzard is not retarded and Starcraft is still the most popular esport in the world.

I'm also curious about what caused starcraft to fall off as a big esport, I stopped playing shortly into the first expansion and got tired of the early game just being build orders and the fights just being deathballs that are over in 2 seconds, but I think it was still popular back then and they had another expansion.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Coca Koala posted:

yes? You can't activate Q until you have full stacks. What are you suggesting the alternative is?

Don't activate abilities just because you can and think about pros and cons of using them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

my fav. new champ design fact is that they were people at riot who hated tahm's hat. just imagine that. people who take their fake-anime moba where a big-rear end dog boy fights vivi from ff9 but evil so seriously that they get mad about a fish dude having a doofy hat.

Making a greed demon a wacky cajun fish is fine but dont you loving DARE give him a tiny hat

The only retarded hats we allow here are evil pope hats and giant erect tophats covered in cogs

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Safety Scissors posted:

Don't activate abilities just because you can and think about pros and cons of using them.

Nonsense. If you hit a snowball or lee Q, you are obligated by law to follow through. Don't give people bad advice now, that's how you get arrested.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Safety Scissors posted:

I mean, if your strat involves constantly pushing so that you can keep a mediocre deterrance active you have much bigger play problems than which ability you skilled at 1

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm also curious about what caused starcraft to fall off as a big esport, I stopped playing shortly into the first expansion and got tired of the early game just being build orders and the fights just being deathballs that are over in 2 seconds, but I think it was still popular back then and they had another expansion.

Starcraft 2 is just a bunch of nonsense to watch on screen. It's not a followable spectator sport for anything but top tier players of it. I went to an esports event in Dallas back in 2012 which was very early in the life of competitive League of Legends and Starcraft 2 had 2-3x more stage space and 1/5th as many viewers as League. The League stage was a side stage and it was overflowing with people who were taking chairs away from the SC2 section to fill up the League section. That was essentially when I knew it was over for SC2 as an esport. I brought a couple friends with me who were in it more for the novelty and only vaguely knew the games being played and they said they couldn't even stand watching SC2 because the camera just flies all over the place to poo poo going on and none of it made sense to them. League is like a 5on5 head-to-head thing that comes to a head in big exciting fights, it's vastly superior as a spectator event than pretty much any other video game except directly comparable ones like DOTA 2.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

grrr im a swampass pirate look how dang dark and old i am has nothing on crazy chest pube pirate and his YOHO-ing

I see your point but

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kashuno posted:

I see your point but

Even though black taric will always own my heart i will admit that the taric visual (not audio) rework was pretty spot-on.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

why has riot not made a replacement for force of nature yet. at first i thought it was like a big joke that there was no big MR item, but it has been a few years now and i am getting worried

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Plenty of big MR items in banshee/visage/GA/portal/locket for tanks and maw/abyssal for AD/AP.

What's really sad is losing the absurd in-combat regeneration and movement that effectively made all but the highest consistent dps mages useless in moving your health bar.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Plenty of big MR items in banshee/visage/GA/portal/locket for tanks and maw/abyssal for AD/AP.

What's really sad is losing the absurd in-combat regeneration and movement that effectively made all but the highest consistent dps mages useless in moving your health bar.

evidently banshees gives more MR than i thought and almost makes up for it but aside from that the other items do not stack up. it is like comparing thornmail to sunfire. both give armour but we know which one is just the "i need loving armour" item, and force of nature was that.

but yeah singed will never be the same without force of nature. i miss that item to death, it was too beautiful for league of legends

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Libertine posted:

, it's vastly superior as a spectator event than pretty much any other video game except directly comparable ones like DOTA 2.

fighting games

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Fighting games are fun to watch but pretty indecipherable if you don't know the game. LoL has the same problem but you can probably guess what happened in a Zed/Leblanc/Shaco clone juke.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can probably guess what happened when two dudes are hitting each other too

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Endorph posted:

fighting games

I agree that fighting games are very easy from a spectator format but for some reason they never attract the same audience as MOBAs do. I don't have a horse in the race, I like watching high level fighting game tournaments sometimes with friends, they just seem way more of a niche interest than MOBAs. I suspect it is something to do with:

Neurolimal posted:

Fighting games are fun to watch but pretty indecipherable if you don't know the game.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

league of legends and other hon-clones are really great spectator games in general depending on the pacing, because the long periods of relative downtime allow for the commentators to explain what is going on when things are not happening and the huge team fights are great when you have a solid play-by-play because even if you are not sure what is going on seeing flashy abilities decimate the battlefield looks badass no matter how little you understand about their function.

also, audiences that are not familiar with the game can easily tell this big tower that was there being destroyed is probably significant, and so is this huge dragon dying that a group of people teamed up to fight, even if they are not aware of what the significance of it is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk how lol is less indecipherable than street fighter or something? there's ten dudes to keep track of in any teamfight and they all have these vague wishywashy abilities that you have no idea what they do. like is anyone watching lol without having played it going to get how illaioi's tentacles work, or what trundle is doing when he q's and ults a guy, or how gp's barrels work? or heck, why laneswaps happen? fighting games have stuff like that too but at least there's only two guys to keep track of and they're just trading hits back and forth for 3 minutes at a time.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i think with fighting games it depends on the game. like street fighter is basically the most popular fighting game ever right? ive always found it pretty easy to tell whats going on without really playing it but some of the weird anime fighters have really obtuse mechanics that you probably can't explain while commentating a match that lasts 30 seconds.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh under night is probably the best fighting game to watch casually because there's literally a gauge at the bottom of the screen that tells you who has the momentum in the match

it's a shame nobody plays that

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Safety Scissors posted:

Is this a markov chain or something? You're just saying words that visually look like they're a response to me, but contextually they make absolutely no sense. It's been a few pages since this conversation started, did you forget what we're actually talking about?

am... am i being trolled in the league of legends thread, and you're just acting like a moron to try and get me to respond? somebody pm me if they're afraid to ruin the joke in public please tia.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Yeah I think round length works against Fighting Games as a spectator sport.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
30 second 1v1s are nonsense for a spectator sport.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Neurolimal posted:

Fighting games are fun to watch but pretty indecipherable if you don't know the game. LoL has the same problem but you can probably guess what happened in a Zed/Leblanc/Shaco clone juke.

My wife watches fighting games with me and additionally has recently started watching LCS streams with me.

Explaining fighting games to her is WAY easier than explaining league to her because

Endorph posted:

idk how lol is less indecipherable than street fighter or something? there's ten dudes to keep track of in any teamfight and they all have these vague wishywashy abilities that you have no idea what they do. like is anyone watching lol without having played it going to get how illaioi's tentacles work, or what trundle is doing when he q's and ults a guy, or how gp's barrels work? or heck, why laneswaps happen? fighting games have stuff like that too but at least there's only two guys to keep track of and they're just trading hits back and forth for 3 minutes at a time.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I get what you're saying but I think Ill and GP are bad examples; Ill is just straight up damage, and its easy to realize that the tentacles randomly spawn and the tentacles slam down in a rectangle when Ill does a big attack. Gangplanks' barrels have a ton of visual indicators in that attacking a barrel makes the counter go down, theres a circular timer on them, and when one explodes a barrel in the explosion circle also explodes.

Trundle, Azir, and Taric ult are better examples.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Haven't played the new patch yet, but someone please tell me that tank Sona is good now.

Please.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
To me the real example of that sort of thing is Ekko--the ult is pretty easy to grasp, but he has so many little things going on with his kit that you have no hope of understanding unless you've played him for a while yourself.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Work Friend Keven posted:

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Work Friend Keven posted:

That's why they play them in a Best of 3, Best of 3/5 format? Unless you're doing something like MvC3, you play a set of games (best of 3 or best of 5 depending on how the bracket is set up), and each game consists of multiple rounds (almost always best of three).

So at a minimum, you need to win four consecutive 30-second 1v1s to progress, and at a maximum you'll be playing nine or fifteen rounds.

On top of that, fighting game tournaments are pretty much universally run as double elimination, so if the person you're following loses a set against somebody, they can run it back in the loser's bracket and it's not at all uncommon for somebody to come from the loser's side and take grand finals after resetting the bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
new sona feels bad

• Locked thread