Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The_Rob posted:

I don't know much about Soviet animation. Is there anywhere you would suggest starting at?

I wish I had something to give you, but I only became interested in the past few months myself, so I've been trying to learn what's what on the fly. Sorry! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

blue squares posted:

How does something like animation translate to blu ray quality vs DVD? I know Mr. Fox is actually photographed so that's different, but what about the others?

Remember, these movies are meant to be seen on big screens, which means that there will be details and the like.

With a good animated Blu-ray, you really get an appreciation for the work that goes into these films. Like, with stuff done on cells, you can see how the cells are placed on top of each other.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah classic Disney animation blu-rays are jaw dropping. Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, etc. are amazing. Pinocchio too of course as mentioned.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

blue squares posted:

How does something like animation translate to blu ray quality vs DVD? I know Mr. Fox is actually photographed so that's different, but what about the others?

Keep in mind that most pre-2000s animation was, itself, actually photographed - there's lots of great examples of animation on blu-ray but I'm a particular fan of how Disney's Alice in Wonderland is suddenly so crisp and vivid.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I haven't seen a single frame of a Disney movie since I watched them on VHS

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Everyone should get the Snow White blu ray.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Most of the early stuff is well worth a Blu-Ray rewatch. I can't speak for all of their Studio Ghibli releases, but Porco Rosso is a huge upgrade from my old dvd copy.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Actually, get every classic Disney blu ray. That's what I do. And the Miyazaki box set.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought the Miyazaki set didn't have any special features?

The movies are still in there.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 13, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I thought the Miyazaki set didn't have any special features?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd love to see Criterion somehow license Fantasia from Disney. The 2010 Blu-Ray omitted most of the 2000 DVD extras in favor of having "online" content that went offline shortly after. It did have some good commentaries, but that's over 2 hours of content, plus hundreds of gallery images that were not on the disc.

They could do a multi-disc set covering the many versions and audio mixes, sort of like The New World. It's easily the most unmarketable film of all the features, so it's perfect for a highbrow treatment.

Another great one would be licensing the Tex Avery cartoons from Warner Bros. They haven't done anything with them besides include one or two on a compilation and a DVD of Droopy cartoons (which only had remasters for the post-Avery CinemaScope shorts).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Unmature posted:

Actually, get every classic Disney blu ray. That's what I do. And the Miyazaki box set.

Yeah, Disney's blu-ray transfers are some of the best in the entire industry, and they've done a wonderful job with the Ghibli films as well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

All this talk about good animation and not one mention of Sylvain Chomet's The Illusionist starring animated Jacques Tati.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

GrandpaPants posted:

All this talk about good animation and not one mention of Sylvain Chomet's The Illusionist starring animated Jacques Tati.

Finally saw this a few weeks ago. It's fantastic.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Should've been in the Tati collection.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Dr. Strangelove in HD giving me a new appreciation for its production design and lighting. The war room and the plane are really striking. And that long take with all the mirrors.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Blow Out, 12 Angry Men, or A Hard Day's Night?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Unmature posted:

Blow Out, 12 Angry Men, or A Hard Day's Night?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Meryl Streep is in one of these movies?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Definitely Blow Out

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Unmature posted:

I'm bad at detecting jokes on the internet so in case you are serious: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084707/

Also I'd second Blow Out, although A Hard Day's Night is a very close second.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Unmature posted:

I mean, technically, since she was on the planet during filming, but also no.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I legitimately thought that was a screaming fan from A Hard Day's Night who happened to look like Meryl Streep.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gonna third Blow-Out even though this is a very tough decision indeed

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Get Blow Out

It will blow you away

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Unmature posted:

I legitimately thought that was a screaming fan from A Hard Day's Night who happened to look like Meryl Streep.

the joke is they're all amazing movies but blow-out really is really really good so

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I got Blow Out. Total blind buy, can't wait to watch it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I hate reading this thread during a criterion sale. gently caress you guys I'm blind buying blow out

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Blow Out is one of the best thrillers ever.

It really shows that Travolta was a great actor. It's so well put together and the direction is great.

And Jon Lithgow amazed me. I saw him only in Third Rock From The Sun.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The actress screaming at the beginning is one of the most genuinely funny moments in any movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Possibly the best De Palma movie, although personally I may prefer Carrie.

Edit: maybe Dressed to Kill also. Which is also in the criterion collection!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I blind-bought Blow Out, didn't like it, sold it. I've only ever done that with one other Criterion; Charade.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I blind-bought Blow Out, didn't like it, sold it. I've only ever done that with one other Criterion; Charade.

man, Charade kicks rear end

I think the only Criterion I've blind-bought was Rififi, which was a very good choice

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

One of my favorite things about Criterion is when a film has commentary from a film critic. I'm listening to the commentary on the Double Life of Veronique and it's such an enlightening experience. It's from a woman who wrote a book on Kieslowski

Unmature
May 9, 2008

blue squares posted:

One of my favorite things about Criterion is when a film has commentary from a film critic. I'm listening to the commentary on the Double Life of Veronique and it's such an enlightening experience. It's from a woman who wrote a book on Kieslowski

Godzilla has a commentary on BOTH the US and Japanese versions of the film and they're both great.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm partial to phantom of the paradise my self.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

The_Rob posted:

I'm partial to phantom of the paradise my self.

Second.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
De Palma is the best. Because even his train wrecks are a show to watch. Black Dahlia isn't great but poo poo that is a fun weird rear end movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I watched Dressed to Kill a few days ago and thought it was just ok. The twist felt super obvious, he went too far in trying to imitate Hitchcock in my opinion. I like Blow Out a lot more.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I watched Dressed to Kill a few days ago and thought it was just ok. The twist felt super obvious, he went too far in trying to imitate Hitchcock in my opinion.

Well yeah, it's literally a remake of Psycho (or more accurately, an update of Psycho for the 1980s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Don't forget Sisters, another good DePalma