Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Jurgens is not going to blow you away, but he writes a solid and enjoyable comic book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Mediocrity is the worst kind of bad, especially in an age where really incredible stuff is always available. Anything not setting your senses on fire is a waste of money and time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I think they drew Damian a little too old,

He turned 13 in the Rebirth special. It's time to age him up a little.

WickedHate posted:

Anything not setting your senses on fire is a waste of money and time.

That sounds exhausting.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

WickedHate posted:

Mediocrity is the worst kind of bad, especially in an age where really incredible stuff is always available. Anything not setting your senses on fire is a waste of money and time.

Or you can just enjoy a standard fare super hero book from time to time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

WickedHate posted:

Anything not setting your senses on fire is a waste of money and time.

I too am a 5 year old child.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 13, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I mean Justice Leauge certainly doesn't light my senses on fire every issue anymore. I read it because it's mental comfort food.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My policies on entertainment are Slaanesh-ian.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Detective rullllled.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked Jurgens' run on Teen Titans, it's a pretty underrated run that unfortunately never really got off the ground. Otherwise, I haven't read anything particularly great from him, but he's definitely not a terrible writer I think.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Detective rullllled.

Detective and Superman, best comics. Good thing they're on alternating weeks!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm so glad they game away their reveal right as it was on the boarder of too obvious.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

I liked Jurgens' run on Teen Titans, it's a pretty underrated run that unfortunately never really got off the ground. Otherwise, I haven't read anything particularly great from him, but he's definitely not a terrible writer I think.

That was without a doubt the worst incarnation of the Titans in the history of the team.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Worse than when McKeever was scripting editorially-mandated stories with "THIS MONTH...A TITAN DIES!!!" every other month?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Super glad to have Nightwing back. I kept expecting Bruce to be a dick at some point, but he never did and that's great. I love Bat Dad way more than "Hey, you've got something on your tooth" *backhands across the room*

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was just talking to someone the other day about how I'd like to see a new book with Adam Strange during Rebirth as that's an underused character that I really like at times. And then lo and behold today DC announces a new Adam Strange mini. Two problems though. It's a Hawkman teamup and Hawkman is the worst. And it's written by Marc Andreyko who I do not enjoy at all. I'm going to stop wishing for things.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Did you read Justice League United?

e: There's a new Deadman mini too
http://comicsalliance.com/deadman-dark-mansion-of-forbidden-love-vaughn-medina-exclusive/

quote:

A young woman with a conflicted heart and the ability to see ghosts, Berenice lives with her boyfriend, Nathan, in a grand mansion in New England but is growing closer and closer to her best friend, Sam. As she struggles with her heart’s desire, a dark presence settles over the mansion, drawing the attention of the ghostly superhero Deadman. As Berenice and Deadman seek to free the house and its inhabitants of Adelia Whitehall (known as the Darkness) vengeful rage, more disturbing and sinister secrets emerge, leaving Berenice in grave danger.
“I’ve been reading romance novels and comics since I was kid, and it is a genre I am positively passionate about,” says writer Sarah Vaughn. “I can’t tell you how excited I am to be able to tell a modern gothic horror story with classic DC roots.”
“After reading the synopsis of the story, I felt I was coming back to the old days of romance comics, but in an entirely new way,” says artist Lan Medina. “I was thrilled by how the Darkness character mixes with Deadman. This has absolutely taken me on a hell of a ride.”
A gothic romance comic with superhero flair, DEADMAN: DARK MANSION OF FORBIDDEN LOVE comes from the creative minds of writer Sarah Vaughn (Alex + Ada) and artist Lan Medina (Vertigo’s FABLES) with covers by Stephanie Hans. The first issue of the series will arrive in comic shops in October 2016, with subsequent issues being released every other month.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 13, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That sounds cool as heck!!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Travis343 posted:

It is just astonishing how little has happened in Action Comics compared to Detective Comics. Like I have read all three issues of Action and I feel like the entire story thus far is maybe one issues worth. I should really give it up, I've never liked Dan Jurgens. I just wanted to be all in for classic superman this time around.

While I'm still enjoying both Superman titles, Action is feeling like Dragonball Z with its drawn out fights.

Did anyone else get a messed up copy of Flash? I have no ending pages, it only repeats a couple of pages.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

As much as I like Deadman I feel like I am not really the audience for this. Will still give it a shot though.

As for Adam Strange I always liked the idea of him more than most executions. Dude is pretty much DC's Buck Rodgers/John Carter mashup and should be treated as such.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Back when I was getting into DC, going through the Crisises and their tie-ins, I still remember quitting hard on the first issue of the Adam Strange war mini.

I can't remember if it was the quality or just that I had no idea what I was reading.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Shop had no extra Nightwing or Titans Rebirth copies. Either of them worth tracking down or just wait for the regular titles?

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth 1 was loads better than the regular Green Lanterns book. Also I'm pretty sure that's in the running for longest title length.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nightwing is okay. It's mostly Dick and Damian palling around.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Heathen posted:

Shop had no extra Nightwing or Titans Rebirth copies. Either of them worth tracking down or just wait for the regular titles?

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth 1 was loads better than the regular Green Lanterns book. Also I'm pretty sure that's in the running for longest title length.

Like the other Rebirth issues they're mostly tying up loose ends and setting up the story going forward. Nightwing was pretty good as a fan of the characters involved and left me thinking the series is probably going to be great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nightwing is okay. It's mostly Dick and Damian palling around.

I loved it, Dick & Damian should get a team up book. I'm still salty that Robins never happened.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They should have used the faces of editors when the Court of Owls unmasked.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

What, not Deadman: The Secrets of Sinister House? For shame, DC!

All joking aside, I'm down for this. I've not read anything Deadman (besides his bit in Kingdom Come), but I do want more gothic horror.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

catlord posted:

What, not Deadman: The Secrets of Sinister House? For shame, DC!

All joking aside, I'm down for this. I've not read anything Deadman (besides his bit in Kingdom Come), but I do want more gothic horror.

If you want to check out a really good Deadman horror story I recommend Lost Souls with excellent Kelly Jones artwork.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Deadman had the only good part of Brightest Day.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Also one of the best Justice League cartoon episodes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

If the N52 never happened and Snyder's Swamp Thing came off of Brightest Day, that ending would've been a bit more meaningful.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Madkal posted:

If you want to check out a really good Deadman horror story I recommend Lost Souls with excellent Kelly Jones artwork.

loving sold on that. Wonder if either of my local comic stores still has it.

Madkal posted:

Also one of the best Justice League cartoon episodes.

He was in a couple of Brave and the Bold episodes, actually, I remember watching a couple of them. Oh, and that cute short on Cartoon Network's DC block.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Mark Waid is apparently banned from the DC offices

also his collected flash run is either being pushed back, or cancelled:
https://twitter.com/MarkWaid/status/753327160635432960

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nice going DC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

Mark Waid is apparently banned from the DC offices

also his collected flash run is either being pushed back, or cancelled:
https://twitter.com/MarkWaid/status/753327160635432960

Where's the info about him being banned from the offices?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

lower down in the tweeter:

https://twitter.com/MarkWaid/status/753331489568206849

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ImpAtom posted:

https://twitter.com/MarkWaid/status/753331489568206849

Beaten, but drat. Come on DC, you're starting to win back some goodwill and then go and pull this poo poo? Not cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wow. Goddamn.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Aw, I was really looking forward to that. :(

What's he done to upset them this time?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Brightest Day and JL: Gen Lost are like the spiritual sequels to Countdown and 52. One had the full backing of the EiC and the rest of DC editorial and marketing, the other was barely pushed after the initial announcement, and guess which told a decent story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So, why are Waid and DC always at each other's throats? I don't remember ever hearing why, just that they are.