Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr. Fowl posted:

This is actually my dream scenario now.

Ryan: :gonk: Oh god, it's happening again! :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gorelab posted:

+7 is close now?
Only compared to the others I'd seen. And it's not entirely surprising, since Russ has all the name recognition (and a reaonable ground game, judging by the signs and bumper stickers I've seen) and we're still relatively far out from the election, but it's still a trend I don't like and everyone else was going all :derp:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Polling RV slants D, right? So that means it's even closer than Russ+7? Not gonna arzy yet, but boo.

Don't chase no arzyfalls

This is good, especially now that we're in the summer months. Interested to see what the LVs are like.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sean10mm posted:

It's a TED talk so it's buzzword-y and poo poo, but this guy is basically the anti-Trump on security policy too.

https://www.ted.com/talks/james_stavridis_how_nato_s_supreme_commander_thinks_about_global_security/transcript?language=en

TL/DR: "Walls don't work."

:qq: But it works for Israel

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes it was dude.

Specifically people losing their poo poo when Sanders mentioned raising taxes to pay for everything.

No, it was because his plans, as stated, would have constituted massive increases in spending for either poorly defined, bad or ill-conceived ways and on top of that, he basically wouldn't admit to the cost of his proposals. There's a difference.

Like it wasn't:

Bernie: FREE COLLEGE
Hillary Supports: EWWWW TAXES

It was:

B: FREE COLLEGE
HS: Okay, how are you paying for that?
B: Well Um... We're going to raise taxes!
HS: Okay, but by how much and by who? Your plan as stated would require states to go in 30% of the cost, and also accept a bunch of federal restrictions that aren't likely to pass SCOTUS muster. I mean, ACA Medicare Expansion only requires 10% from the states and half the states won't even do that for old people.
B: *keeps talking about the wealthiest 1%*
Bernie Supporters: OMG YOU NEOLIBERAL SELLOUTS

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 13, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Trump saying ginsburg's mind is shot now rofl :ironicat:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
so uh trump doesn't realize viciously attacking a older woman is a bad idea, huh

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so uh trump doesn't realize viciously attacking a older woman is a bad idea, huh

A hugely respected, older, much smarter and more accomplished woman

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Trump had responded by saying "Ginsberg is showing a bias that I don't think is respectful of her incredibly important position" maybe there would be something to debate here. However he's Trump so of course he can't do that and went in on a personal and professional insult making her point 100% spot on. There's nothing wrong with her statement and hang wringing about if it shows bias is ridiculous amounts of legal fantasy land.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/753296060504760325

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Trump can't help but attack people personally whenever he gets challenged.

He is so goddamn easy to manipulate and predict.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/NKingofDC/status/753298230159429632

whoa

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dexo posted:

Trump can't help but attack people personally whenever he gets challenged.

He is so goddamn easy to manipulate and predict.

It doesn't seem impossible that RGB did it on purpose.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Hey now, margin of error. He could have as much as three percent of the black vote :eng101:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No, it was because his plans, as stated, would have constituted massive increases in spending for either poorly defined, bad or ill-conceived ways and on top of that, he basically wouldn't admit to the cost of his proposals. There's a difference.

Like it wasn't:

It was:

HS: Okay, but by how much and by who? Your plan as stated would require states to go in 30% of the cost, and also accept a bunch of federal restrictions that aren't likely to pass SCOTUS muster. I mean, ACA Medicare Expansion only requires 10% from the states and half the states won't even do that for old people.

I think it says something that you immediately jump to the defense of Hillary primary supporters when I said "business wing democrats". They are a general hinderance to any sort of real progress.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Man, you guys really do just jump to the worst possible conclusion about anything, don't you?

To be fair, it does make life a lot more predictable

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Like I tacitly know they exist but I have a hard time imagining rank and file business Democrats, all I can imagine is Bloomberg types that have way more influence than any participant in democracy should reasonably have because of their wealth.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

RuanGacho posted:

Like I tacitly know they exist but I have a hard time imagining rank and file business Democrats, all I an imagine is Bloomberg types that have way more influence than any participant in democracy should reasonably have because of their wealth.

Think like, millennial marketing execs, socially liberal financiers, and women in all corporate settings. None of its universal obviously but there's plenty.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

What

Brietbart of all places is telling me that Obama in 2012 got 96% of the black vote in OH, which makes up 15% of the entire vote in OH. Also apparently in the last three general elections the black vote grew (percentage of the overall vote) grew by 3-4% every election.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
The senate just confirmed Carla Hayden as the Librarian of Congress after some Republican blocking on a vote. Chuck Grassley of all people was the 51st "aye" vote.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

The senate just confirmed Carla Hayden as the Librarian of Congress after some Republican blocking on a vote. Chuck Grassley of all people was the 51st "aye" vote.

Nominated by Obama. Confirmed by the same Senate that says he shouldn't have the power to nominate.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

RuanGacho posted:

Like I tacitly know they exist but I have a hard time imagining rank and file business Democrats, all I can imagine is Bloomberg types that have way more influence than any participant in democracy should reasonably have because of their wealth.

Due to how hosed up the right has been on social issues Business Democrats at this point are pretty much anyone who considers themselves socially liberal and fiscally conservative.. But like can't in good conscious ignore the racists poo poo going on by the right.

Like they want their money, low taxes and business perks. But can't vote for the Dog whistle and outright Race/Sexism and homophobia the right has. And they(probably correctly) assume that it'd be easier to get Democrats to go more right on fiscal issues, than it would be to get the hardliners and Tea Party on the right to go left on their stances.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

jesus, I bet even George Zimmerman isn't that unpopular among black people

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys are going to love the sequel.
https://twitter.com/NKingofDC/status/753300478402801664

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
Hot police take, best practices forced in 3 easy(ish) steps.

1: Federal Government requires any police force receiving milsurplus to be covered by a approved insurance policy.

The UChicago crowd has already put out some work detailing the more stringent guidelines, policies, and consequences required by the insurers currently in the market (contain your shock that UChicago is advocating for a privatized solution to state abuses).

2: The moment Democrats have control over both houses, create a federal insurance program for these police forces - at well below market premiums (that diminish with each settlement/judgment free year)... that require departments to adhere to a strict set of guidelines for use of force, training, investigation & accountability and civil rights protection.

3: Failure to comply results in loss of coverage, including revocation of fun tacticlol toys

Settlements, judgments, consent decrees, and civil rights investigations have had minimal impact on curbing the unacceptable behaviors. Time for a new approach. That it has the potential to drive a wedge between Law and Order conservatives and fiscal conservatives is merely a bonus.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/status/753299219071524864

:lol:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dexo posted:

Due to how hosed up the right has been on social issues Business Democrats at this point are pretty much anyone who considers themselves socially liberal and fiscally conservative.. But like can't in good conscious ignore the racists poo poo going on by the right.

Like they want their money, low taxes and business perks. But can't vote for the Dog whistle and outright Race/Sexism and homophobia the right has. And they(probably correctly) assume that it'd be easier to get Democrats to go more right on fiscal issues, than it would be to get the hardliners and Tea Party on the right to go left on their stances.

This is exactly it. They want those trans teens to be able to use the bathroom of their gender, but a 2% increase in their taxes to makes sure a school lunch isn't the only meal that teen eats all day? They meltdown.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Ryan: :gonk: Oh god, it's happening again! :gonk:

Even better, trump picks palin, and the convention rebels against him, and paul ryan looks on in horror as he hears someone shout his name, and then watches in dread anticipation as each round of brokered voting sees his vote totals go higher and higher, before throwing himself out of a window on the quicken center.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Like it wasn't:

It was:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Black Librarians Matter

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bushiz posted:

Even better, trump picks palin, and the convention rebels against him, and paul ryan looks on in horror as he hears someone shout his name, and then watches in dread anticipation as each round of brokered voting sees his vote totals go higher and higher, before throwing himself out of a window on the quicken center.

Bernie had a lot of pipe dreams that he wasn't really demonstrating how to make them actually happen, you can pretend otherwise all you want

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tatum Girlparts posted:

that's where the big one comes but pretty much from getting the nomination locked to the convention a candidate SHOULD be riding a wave of goodwill from their side.

But yea you are right, I missed on the proper bump, I still will bet that Trump doesn't pass Clinton during the real convention bump but yea, not quite time for that yet.

I don't think we're that far apart.

Mostly I'm seeing a lot of rationalizing of polls in my twitter feed (and to a lesser extent, in here, though I'm kinda impressed at how little :derp:ing there is nowadays). Stuff like "bbbbut Trump is currently getting a bump so his numbers are artificially high!" is really irritating.

Clinton might get a larger bump than Trump out of the convention. That is also irrelevant because the thing about a bump is that they subside. If it didn't subside, it wouldn't be a bump, it'd be a...I dunno, ski jump or something.

So long as you're not trying to *UNSKEW* the Trump numbers out of whatever the latest poll is that has Trump ahead of, or intolerably close to, Hillary Clinton, we're cool :cool:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mr Hootington posted:

I think it says something that you immediately jump to the defense of Hillary primary supporters when I said "business wing democrats". They are a general hinderance to any sort of real progress.

Well, since you said in this thread

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Seriously. Most Bernie fans and supporters are real loving cool and sensible people. There are some who are crazy and fanatical and deserve ridicule(shouts to HA Goodman), but like most polling said like 75-80% of his supporters support Hillary too.

Generalizing attacks on his supporters do no good, as then that just gets those who liked Bernie more or raise legitimate concerns and problems about Hillary on the defensive and sours them even more.

People really really need to stop treating loud assholes on the internet, with minimal power, as though they are representative of an entire base of people.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

zoux posted:

Whoa an unironic GWB supporter.
Woosh.

Fluffdaddy posted:

No you are assigning an ideal to the court that has never existed. The court has never been asked to be apolitical, only impartial in their jurisprudence. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.
I'm curious where you're drawing the line. It seems like most of D&D's beef with Scalia was that he went around spouting political opinions they found objectionable, and as a result they didn't believe that his judgements were impartial applications of the law, no matter how well supported by citation and precedent.

Or is this one of those "it's OK when my side does it" things?

SedanChair posted:

This is an excellent distraction from the fact that you think there are people who shouldn't challenge fascism.
If Trump had brownshirts organizing a large, armed paramilitary wing for the purposes of enforcing their will and overthrowing the established political order, maybe it would be time for the Supreme Court to step in for the sake of the republic. A candidate having bad opinions about immigrants and foreigners is not the rise of fascism in America.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Dexo posted:

Seriously. Most Bernie fans and supporters are real loving cool and sensible people. There are some who are crazy and fanatical and deserve ridicule(shouts to HA Goodman), but like most polling said like 75-80% of his supporters support Hillary too.

Generalizing attacks on his supporters do no good, as then that just gets those who liked Bernie more or raise legitimate concerns and problems about Hillary on the defensive and sours them even more.

People really really need to stop treating loud assholes on the internet, with minimal power, as though they are representative of an entire base of people.

Since we were talking about people on the internet on an internet forum, i think it was pretty implicit

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

HA Goodman owns my friend.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

My qualm with your statement, Hootington, is the parroted here part of your comment.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Dexo posted:

This has probably been the single most obnoxious aspect of the Democratic race. So tired of reading think pieces on Salon/Vox/Medium based on one tweet from some rear end in a top hat with 300 followers.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Stultus Maximus posted:

Black Librarians Matter

One of the objections to appointing her was that the Library of Congress already has a lot of librarians, so why should we bother replacing their head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Since we were talking about people on the internet on an internet forum, i think it was pretty implicit

We aren't really that loud though. We just reply to each other, we aren't the crazy assholes who are out there replying to any tweet that says something positive about Hillary with vitriol and anger.

Touchè :allears:

• Locked thread