Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

He was nominated because the president felt that he was the person that should be the next SCOTUS justice. There is no 10th dimensional chess.

I'd qualify that a little bit and say he thought Garland was the right guy given divided government. I don't think Garland will turn out to be another Sotomayor, and I believe that is the sort of justice Obama would actually prefer. At minimum, I think Obama would prefer to cement his legacy with someone younger. But I don't doubt Obama likes the thought of Garland on the bench.

Green Crayons posted:

I've seen some pieces speculating that Kennedy's leftward drift this term has been because of Scalia's absence. I don't know how much Kennedy was persuaded by Scalia's opinions, so I don't have any basis for vetting the speculation, but its an interesting take of the soft power changes (as opposed to simply the reduction of 1 conservative vote out of 9 votes total) to the Court's dynamic because of Scalia's death. Even if there isn't a major leftward shift for Kennedy's overall jurisprudence, his decision to side with the liberals in both an AA and abortion case is pretty significant. I'm curious to see the extent and duration of this evolution.

If I had to guess, I would say it has more to do with wanting to write in the majority. You can get more done by trying to move the majority just enough to get you on board than you can pissing into the wind with dissents. I doubt Kennedy wants to be irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

HappyHippo posted:

Could it be that he's trying to avoid ties? Like if he's on the fence about a decision, but the options are to vote with the 3 conservatives for a 4-4 decision, or the 4 liberals for a 5-3 decision, might he be more inclined to avoid the tie?
It's almost certainly played into his math. Obviously, whether or not a tie is okay in a given case depends entirely on the lower court's ruling, but I definitely think it played into the abortion decision.

Look at his options (in broad strokes). If he sided with the conservatives (or authored an opinion conservative enough to get them on board), then all he would've done is kick the can down the road with a 4-4 ruling. A circuit split would be virtually inevitable, which would force another ruling a year or whatever down the line, and then he probably wouldn't have any negotiating power because the liberals would no longer need his vote. Or he could've done what he did, sided with the liberals on the current case, and won't have to deal with this for the foreseeable future. Bonus with the latter that he gets to write the opinion, although it must be agreeable enough to GSKB that he doesn't lose them. So siding with the liberals now gave Kennedy the most power over the decision that he is likely to get.

Compare that to the math of a court with Scalia still alive, where kicking the can down the road isn't (e: much of) an option. That situation would've given Kennedy a lot of negotiating power to moderate one side or the other's opinion, and that probably wouldn't have resulted in the strong ruling we got.

IANAL in giant capital letters but still, I think Scalia's absence matters even when the numbers don't immediately suggest it.

e: My grammar was apparently a hot mess last night.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 3, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AtraMorS posted:

e: My grammar was apparently a hot mess last night.

That wasn't the only thing if you anal in huge capital letters

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Chokes McGee posted:

That wasn't the only thing if you anal in huge capital letters
But how else will they know?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Second Circuit just denied Brady vs. NFL

Please grant cert

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

exploding mummy posted:

Second Circuit just denied Brady vs. NFL

Please grant cert

I don't know sports at all, but dude DID cheat

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Very Serious People are tut-tuting about the Notorious RBG saying Donald Trump is a con man who would have a negative impact as President of the United States.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Really, NYT? Did they forget Scalia's entire career and Thomas' wife actively lobbying against healthcare when it went before his court?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I think I was thinking of Alabama:

Political documentary on the Alabama constitution- it was set up this way to (surprise!) disenfranchise blacks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n8dLdAlL3Q

My friend made that documentary, I'm really glad to see it posted out in the wild :banjo:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Really, NYT? Did they forget Scalia's entire career and Thomas' wife actively lobbying against healthcare when it went before his court?

I don't recall any conservative justice making similar comments and there would have been an outcry if they did. I'm sure they thought them, but I agree that it's inappropriate for RBG to be saying these sorts of things.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

evilweasel posted:

I don't recall any conservative justice making similar comments and there would have been an outcry if they did. I'm sure they thought them, but I agree that it's inappropriate for RBG to be saying these sorts of things.

In any other election I'd agree. Trump just sucks so much that this is an exception with no future bearing on such decisions. Like Bush v Gore.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SCOTUS decided a presidential election 16 years ago, the days of them being off-limits or whatever in the political arena are long over

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

After recently ruling on that abortion clinic case where for years it's been about "women's health" despite no one of note in the medical field advocating for it and then the entire right wing immediately complaining that this was a serious blow to the rights of unborn babies when it was struck down maybe she's had enough of this sort of bullshit where we just don't say what we mean and have to pretend it's fooling anyone.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

SCOTUS decided a presidential election 16 years ago, the days of them being off-limits or whatever in the political arena are long over

That they decided Bush v. Gore is one of the reasons that they shouldn't be openly advocating for a candidate.

Radish posted:

After recently ruling on that abortion clinic case where for years it's been about "women's health" despite no one of note in the medical field advocating for it and then the entire right wing immediately complaining that this was a serious blow to the rights of unborn babies when it was struck down maybe she's had enough of this sort of bullshit where we just don't say what we mean and have to pretend it's fooling anyone.

It's part of the job.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

evilweasel posted:

I don't understand this standard, a conflict of interest is a thing that exists regardless of whether you openly talk about it. Why should it be reasonable for a Justice to believe a thing, but not state that they believe a thing? I could understand it being bad decorum to write "Trump's a poopy head" in an official document of some sort, but if they're allowed to vote, I don't see why they shouldn't express who they plan to vote for and why.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

evilweasel posted:

That they decided Bush v. Gore is one of the reasons that they shouldn't be openly advocating for a candidate.
Ok but she was attacking Trump, not advocating for Hillary unless I missed something

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

twodot posted:

I don't understand this standard, a conflict of interest is a thing that exists regardless of whether you openly talk about it. Why should it be reasonable for a Justice to believe a thing, but not state that they believe a thing? I could understand it being bad decorum to write "Trump's a poopy head" in an official document of some sort, but if they're allowed to vote, I don't see why they shouldn't express who they plan to vote for and why.

A judge's job is to avoid not only an actual conflict of interest, but the appearance of a conflict of interest. There's an obvious increase in the appearance of a conflict of interest if, god forbid, Trump was elected and a signature policy of his came before the Supreme Court. It's also routine for people in certain jobs to be forbidden from openly campaigning. Lower court judges are forbidden from making statements like RBG's, but because there is no higher court than the Supreme Court those rules technically don't apply to the Supreme Court.

Now, of course you cannot eliminate the appearance of a conflict of interest given who RBG is and what she believes, as appropriately expressed in her opinions and elsewhere. She's got a right to vote, she's got every right to vote and to make private statements of what she believes in. But making public statements like this dramatically increases the appearance of a conflict of interest, and its her job not to do that. Same as how she can have a private opinion on a case that hasn't been heard at the Supreme Court, but is not supposed to go 'well of loving course i'm voting against Texas' before the case is fully briefed.

I love RBG, if she hadn't said this stuff we'd all know she was thinking it, but she still shouldn't have said it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ok but she was attacking Trump, not advocating for Hillary unless I missed something

For/against, in practice it's the same thing. Probably more problematic, really.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Like yeah we know he's a piece of poo poo and RBG's retirement is all but settled post-Hillary winning but jfc try to pretend to be objective for just a little while longer.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

evilweasel posted:

Now, of course you cannot eliminate the appearance of a conflict of interest given who RBG is and what she believes, as appropriately expressed in her opinions and elsewhere. She's got a right to vote, she's got every right to vote and to make private statements of what she believes in. But making public statements like this dramatically increases the appearance of a conflict of interest, and its her job not to do that.
This is not obvious to me at all. You acknowledge that we already know she holds those opinions, her saying those opinions aloud or in public isn't increasing any information anyone has. This reasoning how leads to results I think are strange. If she can make private statements, what happens when those private statements are made public against her will, does that create an appearance of a conflict of interest and who is at fault for that appearance?
edit:
I get "Public statements are strategically unsound, because Trump will incorrectly claim you've done something bad, and generating that fight is worse than whatever positive effect your public statements could have" though.

twodot fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 13, 2016

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I mean Trump isn't just a conservative whose views RBG disagrees with, he is running on promises of massively problematic poo poo constitutionally. We all know that those promises won't come true, but I think it is reasonable for a justice to have opinions about some of that stuff.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

twodot posted:

This is not obvious to me at all. You acknowledge that we already know she holds those opinions, her saying those opinions aloud or in public isn't increasing any information anyone has. This reasoning how leads to results I think are strange. If she can make private statements, what happens when those private statements are made public against her will, does that create an appearance of a conflict of interest and who is at fault for that appearance?

I don't think there's any issue at all in differentiating between a judge knowingly doing something that will increase the perceived conflict of interest, and a judge doing something that they have taken efforts (by doing it privately) to prevent it from creating a conflict of interest. That's, like, an incredibly basic distinction we draw all the time. If the judge was dumb about thinking the statements would be private then you can say they were dumb and shouldn't be dumb, but that's a very different thing.

And yes, in many cases a lower court judge would be recusing themselves if they accidentally created the appearance of a conflict of interest that way.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chin Strap posted:

I mean Trump isn't just a conservative whose views RBG disagrees with, he is running on promises of massively problematic poo poo constitutionally. We all know that those promises won't come true, but I think it is reasonable for a justice to have opinions about some of that stuff.

I have many, many views that it's reasonable for me to have but not reasonable for me to go to the press with. Like, I'm a lawyer, it is reasonable for me to think privately that some of my clients have a weak case, tell them they have a weak case, discuss with my colleagues they have a weak case, but if I start telling the public that it is a giant loving problem. It's one thing to have opinions, it's another thing to go tell those opinions to a reporter.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Over / under on RGB recusing if it comes down to a SC case in November?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

evilweasel posted:

I love RBG, if she hadn't said this stuff we'd all know she was thinking it, but she still shouldn't have said it.

I think it was Slate that put out an article yesterday saying "she's a judge, and she shouldn't be doing this, but she knows that so it makes what she's saying have that much more weight if she thinks that preventing a Trump presidency is worth burning her credibility to stop.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Potato Salad posted:

About the same as Thomas recusing himself on an ACA case.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over–under

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Link is broken.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

When you have a candidate running who professes not to believe in the rule of law, I think normal rules of decorum don't apply. Donald Trump hasn't said "laws suck" in so many words, but he has promised to do many things that are flat-out illegal, notably ordering the army to commit war crimes.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 13, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gyges posted:

About the same as Thomas recusing himself on an ACA case.

I still maintain that if there's any justice in the last century we can trust to rule on the merits rather than any conflict of interest, it's Clarence "the federal government probably shouldn't exist" Thomas.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
i am very concerned that a judge said something mean about Donald J. Trump

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I have many, many views that it's reasonable for me to have but not reasonable for me to go to the press with. Like, I'm a lawyer, it is reasonable for me to think privately that some of my clients have a weak case, tell them they have a weak case, discuss with my colleagues they have a weak case, but if I start telling the public that it is a giant loving problem. It's one thing to have opinions, it's another thing to go tell those opinions to a reporter.

Then again, historically, appeasement is not the correct or safe stance to take with fascist scum.

And frankly, the ideas that Supreme Court judges must keep their opinions secret or that they do in any meaningful way are myths designed to sanctify the court's political power.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I can't fully disapprove of RBG commenting on Trump (and definitely don't disagree with what she said) but I think that she should really have considered retiring if she feels she needs to comment on this political race. Of course that's a way higher stakes move as it restores a conservative supreme court and would give Obama's successor 2 new appointments. Of course it would also put a poo poo load more pressure on the Republicans in terms of blocking nominations. Blocking 1 is pretty bad but 2 open spots would be tough to maintain.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

uninterrupted fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 11, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Then again, historically, appeasement is not the correct or safe stance to take with fascist scum.

in the spirit of open honesty this is a stupid statement with no relevance to anything whatsoever that is being discussed and we are all stupider for having read it

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

And frankly, the ideas that Supreme Court judges must keep their opinions secret or that they do in any meaningful way are myths designed to sanctify the court's political power.

Yes, that is exactly the point: that the functioning of the judiciary requires a certain amount of legitimacy and that means that at a basic level maintaining that legitimacy is part of the job, even if you think it's bullshit. The entire point of a court is that, win or lose, people accept the judgment and if you lose that then there's no point.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

I think it was Slate that put out an article yesterday saying "she's a judge, and she shouldn't be doing this, but she knows that so it makes what she's saying have that much more weight if she thinks that preventing a Trump presidency is worth burning her credibility to stop.

The key phrase being "worth burning her credibility." Maybe she figures she has credibility to burn. If so, she's probably correct based on what I'm reading here.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

uninterrupted fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 11, 2020

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

uninterrupted posted:

Quote where in the constitution it says that supreme court justices can't air their opinions about political candidates or stop hand-wringing about a vague "loss of legitimacy" in a lifetime appointment position.

Really? "Quote the constitution"?

Don't you have a Sovcit thread to be writing or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

@EvilWeasel: confidence in the supreme court has fallen noticably over the last 15 years or so (with no apparent effect of bush v gore). Hard to say why.

in any case, IMO being for or against a particular person for their personal qualities is not a big deal; how often does the SCOTUS make rulings based on someone's personal qualities...?

the judges are inherently political, it's partisanship we should discourage....