Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Castor Poe posted:

The "Not enough gun" scene will probably be shot on super 8 in Rogan's backyard with plastic army men.

Guest directed by Seth Green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't know if its been brought up but the directing and cinematography in this show is really good.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Hollismason posted:

I don't know if its been brought up but the directing and cinematography in this show is really good.

The sound arrangement is loving phenomenal

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Their cuts to the show title are second only to Fargo's :allears:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah the show is beautiful with some great wide shots and those credits are so drat pretty.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Their cuts to the show title are second only to Fargo's :allears:
If you like those, you must see Mr. Robot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If you like those, you must see Mr. Robot.

I caught up on the whole season just last week, it's real good too, way better than it had any right to be.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Jerusalem posted:

Arguably he already had that since he breaks at the end of the episode and tries to bring Eugene back

Huh? When/how did this happen? I don't remember this at all.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

KilGrey posted:

Huh? When/how did this happen? I don't remember this at all.

IIRC it was right before the Quincannon scene at the end; Jesse was pulling up the floor boards/digging and kind of mumble-shouting 'come back!'

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought he was even using his The Voice voice when saying come back.

Did anyone else laugh out loud when Jesse used the hilariously bumbling angels as proof that god had a plan and all this was part of it?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Strawman posted:

Anyone think the god Quinncannon is serving is Odin?

More than likely it's himself or the giant 'Meat Woman' he cobbled together and hosed and worshiped in the comic.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'll be the skeptical one about Eugene's suicide pact. Normally with these things, the official story most technically mostly true, except for a small detail that changes the entire meaning. But if the girl really did reject Eugene, they wouldn't have had a pact. So the entire story would have to be fake, which would be pretty lame storytelling. And for them to kill each other, they'd need two guns, in this case shotguns, which would be large and awkward to point at each other at the same time, instead of handguns. It's certainly not within the character we've seen to murder someone out of jealously, but it's not really in character to suicide pact either, but I suppose it is closer. Maybe Eugene used to be more of an rear end in a top hat like his father, and his brush with death changed him, either just through the trauma of dealing with it or because of a pellet still in his brain.

Arseface's origin story in the comics was a suicide pact story, and at the end his friends' sister chewed him out in the hospital and basically called him an idiot for ruining her family because "nobody listened"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I thought he was even using his The Voice voice when saying come back.
He was, too.

I wonder if a certain cowboy might happen to be buried directly underneath the church...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The annoying thing is going to be when people who've never read or heard of the GN call the Saint of Killers an "Anton Chighurh ripoff."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does he say "friendo"?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

LadyPictureShow posted:

IIRC it was right before the Quincannon scene at the end; Jesse was pulling up the floor boards/digging and kind of mumble-shouting 'come back!'

Thank you. I remember the digging but for some reason I missed the 'come back' part.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think they were going to use arseface as a comedic type of character, but the guy came into the audition and played it so straight and well meaning that they rewrote the character.

I've enjoyed the show... Sorta. It's got its incredibly boring parts, but they've changed so much from the comic that it's still a giant surprise when poo poo like the motel scene plays out.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The annoying thing is going to be when people who've never read or heard of the GN call the Saint of Killers an "Anton Chighurh ripoff."

I don't see the comp. Anton was a chaotic miscreant but SoK is death incarnate with no pretense to being anything else. He doesn't do all the self-pandering Anton did with the coin-flips, threatening talks and other non-sense that kept Anton firmly in the unhinged-but-human realm.

SoK shows up and, maybe if you use the Word or explode a literal actual Nuke on his head, he may spare a couple words to admire your efforts but then explain that you're still royal hosed.

Unless they botch his portrayal, which they may.

Why was his ye olde west coat so shiney, that bothered me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When that movie came out I thought this same thing, and I thought the best thing for a potential Preacher adaptation to do would be to just cast Bardem as the SoK.

Works for Sam Elliott.

E: wrong elliott, durr

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 13, 2016

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Anton Chigurh was about as close to being Death as an actual human being probably could be. McCarthy made a lot of references in the book (and some of those came into the movie), with a character (Carson Wells, Woody Harrelson in the movie saying things to Llewellyn like you should be scared, you don't have any idea who the gently caress you're messing with or what you're getting into for taking that money dude, he will find you and kill you and there's nothing you can do about it because he won't stop, I don't think you understand how hosed you really are, etc (spoilered for those who never read the book or saw the movie). Chigurh did and said some weird poo poo, and I can totally see McCarthy writing him as an allusion to Death himself, especially with the coin flips, because just think of all the allegories you could make with that poo poo. In essence, Chigurh was the relentless bad guy or evil, and served a similar purpose to the SoK.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 13, 2016

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

I don't see the comp. Anton was a chaotic miscreant but SoK is death incarnate with no pretense to being anything else. He doesn't do all the self-pandering Anton did with the coin-flips, threatening talks and other non-sense that kept Anton firmly in the unhinged-but-human realm.

SoK shows up and, maybe if you use the Word or explode a literal actual Nuke on his head, he may spare a couple words to admire your efforts but then explain that you're still royal hosed.

Unless they botch his portrayal, which they may.

Why was his ye olde west coat so shiney, that bothered me.

Trenchcoats were made with oilcloth back then (sometimes), to keep em from getting hosed up when it rains. It's fairly shiny. Not like BRAND SPANKING NEW LEATHER shiny but yea, there's a glare.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

life is killing me posted:

Anton Chigurh was about as close to being Death as an actual human being probably could be. McCarthy made a lot of references in the book (and some of those came into the movie), with a character (Carson Wells, Woody Harrelson in the movie saying things to Llewellyn like you should be scared, you don't have any idea who the gently caress you're messing with or what you're getting into for taking that money dude, he will find you and kill you and there's nothing you can do about it because he won't stop, I don't think you understand how hosed you really are, etc (spoilered for those who never read the book or saw the movie). Chigurh did and said some weird poo poo, and I can totally see McCarthy writing him as an allusion to Death himself, especially with the coin flips, because just think of all the allegories you could make with that poo poo. In essence, Chigurh was the relentless bad guy or evil, and served a similar purpose to the SoK.

The Cohen Brothers running gag pays off.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Also, leather can get shinier when it's older and more beat-up, for some reason.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Strawman posted:

Anyone think the god Quinncannon is serving is Odin?

Yeah somebody had that theory back last weekend, or the weekend before. I don't buy it though. I think that's a red herring.

His god is greed or something like that.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

More than likely it's himself or the giant 'Meat Woman' he cobbled together and hosed and worshiped in the comic.

That would be even better. That's one of the things that makes you wonder how far they'll push the TV show though.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 13, 2016

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah somebody had that theory back last weekend, or the weekend before. I don't buy it though. I think that's a red herring.

His god is greed or something like that.

I could see this, especially since Odin went to Jesse and said he did something bad. He then describes how his company is no longer the biggest meat processing company in the world. THAT is what was bugging him, not that he killed 4 people.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Could it be he worships death in a weird way? Being sad about not killing the most cows would fit into that. The environmentalist were all about sustainability. Which to his messed up mind might be an affront to his God?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I honestly think it's as simple as he doesn't believe god exists so how can he serve something he doesn't think is there. He said he'd do it but honestly to Odin the word might as well have been "SERVE THE EASTER BUNNY". The word told him to do it, so yes, when asked, he'll say he'll do it. but what is it? jack poo poo because he can't serve something that isn't there..

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't think it takes belief into account. Assuming "god' does refer to the Christian God as chronicled in the King James Bible, and not like, "money" or whatever(which are possibilities), the fact of the Preacherverse is, God does exist, and thus can be served.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

QwertySanchez posted:

I honestly think it's as simple as he doesn't believe god exists so how can he serve something he doesn't think is there. He said he'd do it but honestly to Odin the word might as well have been "SERVE THE EASTER BUNNY". The word told him to do it, so yes, when asked, he'll say he'll do it. but what is it? jack poo poo because he can't serve something that isn't there..

This would be incredibly boring though. The Word sent a kid directly to actual hell (as best we can tell), I think being told to serve god even if you aren't a Christian would still make you do things. After all Odin might be an rear end in a top hat but would he have straight up murdered some people? He just refused to meet with them previously.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

QwertySanchez posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure Odin wasn't about to shotgun those guys if it wasn't for Jesse's word. He didn't even want to meet with them originally, the show took the time to set that up. Then Jesse tells him to serve god, and now suddenly he wants to talk to those guys, but then he kills them.

Somehow the word of "serve god" has pushed Odin to murder. Which is the whole fun of the monkey's paw that is the word.

Its going to be Greed, Death, Himself, Satan, Norse Odin, or the meat lady doll he makes in his basement in the comics

That or just an extremely violent interpretation of old-testament Yahweh.

The question is which.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure Odin wasn't about to shotgun those guys if it wasn't for Jesse's word. He didn't even want to meet with them originally, the show took the time to set that up. Then Jesse tells him to serve god, and now suddenly he wants to talk to those guys, but then he kills them.

Somehow the word of "serve god" has pushed Odin to murder. Which is the whole fun of the monkey's paw that is the word.

Its going to be Greed, Death, Himself, Satan, Norse Odin, or the meat lady doll he makes in his basement in the comics

That or just an extremely violent interpretation of old-testament Yahweh.

The question is which.

Extremely violent is the only real interpretation of OT Yahweh.

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

I'm also confused about Jesse's power. In the Pilot that guy cute his heart out when told "be brave tell her the truth open your heart." If his word is up to interpretation, cutting your heart out is an.. interesting interpretation. Maybe he wanted to kill himself because of his mother, I'm not sure. We don't really know anything about that character, but he was also chanting it on the drive there which could have been him or Jesse's word.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

HATTAM posted:

I'm also confused about Jesse's power. In the Pilot that guy cute his heart out when told "be brave tell her the truth open your heart." If his word is up to interpretation, cutting your heart out is an.. interesting interpretation. Maybe he wanted to kill himself because of his mother, I'm not sure. We don't really know anything about that character, but he was also chanting it on the drive there which could have been him or Jesse's word.

It seems to be pretty much literal, it's not like the person has control and choice in it. If Jesse told someone to cry a river, they wouldn't just bawl their eyes out and be done with it. They would do everything they can to cry an entire river of water and be unable to stop. When he told Cassidy to "Sing me some Johnny Cash", Cassidy sang, "Me Some Johnny Caaassshhhh".

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

HATTAM posted:

It isn't so much "open to interpretation" as it is literal. Sure, you might see it as open to interpretation in regards to Odin, but in Odin's mind, it was taken as literally as the guy who cut his heart out. It's literal in the sense that it's subjective. In Odin's case, if you want to go by the theory that he actually just doesn't believe in God or believes in a different God, when Jesse commanded him to "serve god" it was literal to him based on his belief system (or lack thereof). Some things are literal subjective to the person being commanded, and others are strictly literal, when there is an absolute behind it, like when he told Donny to put a gun in his mouth. There was no belief involved in that since there's literally no other thing that could mean and it's not subjective.

E: Things can be literal even if they are subjective, so it doesn't always have to be an objective thing.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 13, 2016

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I think that Odin is him actually doing God's will, and God's priority is to mess with Jesse as the host of Genesis, as it was in the comics. Odin right now is like when God sicced Jesse's grandmother on him.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 13, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

It seems to be pretty much literal, it's not like the person has control and choice in it. If Jesse told someone to cry a river, they wouldn't just bawl their eyes out and be done with it. They would do everything they can to cry an entire river of water and be unable to stop. When he told Cassidy to "Sing me some Johnny Cash", Cassidy sang, "Me Some Johnny Caaassshhhh".

I loving loved that little detail. "me some johnny cash".

The use of The Word is very literal. The problem comes from ambiguous commands which can't easily be interpreted literally, like "serve god" or "open your heart" being interpreted literally when they weren't intended that way.

Although technically he "took out" his heart more than opened it :cheeky: but hey.

Dr Christmas posted:

I think that Odin is him actually doing God's will, and God's priority is to mess with Jesse as the host of Genesis, as it was in the comics. Odin right now is like when avid sicced Jesse's grandmother on him.

I don't think "serve god" would inherently instill knowledge of god's plan in you, and so Odin wouldn't know about that even if it was true.

That said, I do love Cassidy's "God's plan for you is poo poo, and his plan for me is to tell you it poo poo" :allears:

Seriously Cassidy is carrying this show.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

I think that Odin is him actually doing God's will, and God's priority is to mess with Jesse as the host of Genesis, as it was in the comics. Odin right now is like when avid sicced Jesse's grandmother on him.

This is an interesting idea, and it has the virtue of them literally having to do nothing and spend no money for it to be plausible.

That being said, Odin seems to get a pseudo-religious pleasure in hearing cows die. I'd imagine each bovine scream is like a cash register opening up, so Death and Greed are likely the things he worships.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Because of this we missed out on one of the best moments from the comics

Why doesn't the angel literally cut some poo poo here? :mad:

Got caught up on the show the last couple of days. I'm really worried about all the children in the town, you guys.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think people may be other-thinking Odin.

Jessie commanded him to 'SERVE GOD'. He didn't specify the christian god or Jesus or anything like that. It was just a command to serve god.

Odin himself said he wasn't Christian in this past episode.

So, that seems to be hinting that he has a god, it's just not the Christian god. It has different...needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have the notion that ol' Odin believes in no god, and the only effect of "SERVE GOD" is that he now thinks he's serving god, so stuff he thought about before, like killing a bunch of hippies, he's now doing, because if it wasn't god's will, he wouldn't be doing it. Great evil mirror for Jesse.

• Locked thread