Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Brady posted:

Not sure what you mean. Also not sure if that was a stupid question to ask or not in the first place, sorry. I've seen tax services and the like on here so I didn't think it was too far-fetched.

he was making a joke about morally bankrupt services. We all provide that, because we are all morally bankrupt. Well, not all of us. Most of us, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

he was making a joke about morally bankrupt services. We all provide that, because we are all morally bankrupt. Well, not all of us. Most of us, though.

Ah, duh. ::woosh::

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't know of any Kansas lawyer goons off the top of my head, but there very well might be. You might have just as much luck in the phone book. Good luck with your bankruptcy, though!

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know of any Kansas lawyer goons off the top of my head, but there very well might be. You might have just as much luck in the phone book. Good luck with your bankruptcy, though!

Thanks!

:shepspends: :confuoot:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Nice! posted:

At least all the traffic lawyers. You know who you are. :colbert:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I refuse to bow to the calls of expediency at the expense of justice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

I refuse to bow to the calls of expediency at the expense of justice.

how well do those wars over $500 speeding tickets pay off?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Funny thing is, lots of my projects DO involve bridges. Makes me wonder if Ewok knows me. Can't imagine I'm that hard to find.

Probably time to edit all my posts to "."

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I knew you worked for the government, the bridge law was a joke since I think you mentioned it

I don't know you.

Yet

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

I knew you worked for the government, the bridge law was a joke since I think you mentioned it

I don't know you.

Yet

Sounds like you have a fan, Hot Dog Day #91

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Are you the all beef variety? Perhaps also kosher?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I wish I could remember my original username, but I think it's been 12 years.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I wish I could remember my original username, but I think it's been 12 years.

So now you know what it's like to be one of those stolen generation kids in australia huh

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

how well do those wars over $500 speeding tickets pay off?

If by "wars" you mean "20 minute, patty-cake jury trials," then yes, the rate of return is sufficient, I would say.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

If by "wars" you mean "20 minute, patty-cake jury trials," then yes, the rate of return is sufficient, I would say.

The thought of a jury trial over a traffic ticket amuses me. Just seems like such a petty waste of time and the guy is almost always absolutely guilty and is just fighting it because he can. I'm glad you're able to do well off of it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

And I though Minnesota was wasteful by having actual lawyers prosecute traffic tickets. Jury trials? Lol.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its a pretty rampant fallacy that police departments and municipal courts exist as some sort of revenue engine, whose sole purpose is to drain the noble poor of their last meager pennies. Enforcing the law is not a profitable endeavor. It doesn't matter if trial and prosecution cost more than the amount of the ticket. Even still, people are entitled to their trial by jury, and I'm there for my docket regardless, so it doesn't really cost anything more than an extra half hour of my time.

The only alternative is to stop enforcing traffic laws, and thats not a reasonable alternative.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

a petty waste of time and the guy is almost always absolutely guilty and is just fighting it because he can.

Agreed.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

The thought of a jury trial over a traffic ticket amuses me. Just seems like such a petty waste of time and the guy is almost always absolutely guilty and is just fighting it because he can. I'm glad you're able to do well off of it.

But losing a trial over a ticket isn't really going to hurt you, right? What's the worst case scenario in most cases, being found guilty and having to pay the ticket?

Seems like that whole system is far more evil in criminal cases. Go quietly for a few years because the prosecutor "knows" you're guilty, or try to make your case and risk basically losing your life.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm suggesting that a jury trial is excessive for a traffic violation.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Should probably be a jurisdictional limit on jury trials for a class c. Can you get a jury trial in muni court?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

You can't constitutionally deny that without just dropping the charge anyway, right?

I guess you could get rid of them by treating speeding tickets like drug cases. Make the penalty for speeding $50,000, then let everyone who admits guilt get off with $100 or whatever. If they try to defend themselves, nail them to the wall for the full penalty.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

I disagree. Someone call the Admiral. :colbert:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You can't constitutionally deny that without just dropping the charge anyway, right?

I guess you could get rid of them by treating speeding tickets like drug cases. Make the penalty for speeding $50,000, then let everyone who admits guilt get off with $100 or whatever. If they try to defend themselves, nail them to the wall for the full penalty.

The supreme court has really narrowed what type of crime gets a jury trial. If it is a fine only, you generally are not entitled to one under federal law (there may be a dollar trigger but it is high).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nm posted:

The supreme court has really narrowed what type of crime gets a jury trial. If it is a fine only, you generally are not entitled to one under federal law (there may be a dollar trigger but it is high).

The hell with the fine, you can get 6 months in jail without a jury trial I thought?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Question:

I bought a full cart of junk at wal-mart today and the beeper alarm went off at the door. The old lady yelled at me to stop and come back in, I did. She then proceeded to slowly paw through everything with my receipt (that was long as my arm). She did this for 9 minutes (I checked my phone).

What could wal-mart do, legally, if I had just held up my middle finger and kept walking out to my car? I imagine they could ban me from ever coming back, but that would require them to know who I was, find me, and tell me I guess.

I asked the lady if she thought I had stolen anything and she said no. She just kept blabbering about store policy.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
They "could" try to detain you with their "loss prevention" team, follow you to your car, get your license plate, and maybe block you in to keep you from driving away, and call the cops, but all the while they would walk the line between, "how sure are we this person stole from us" and "we don't want to get sued for false imprisonment."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

blarzgh posted:

They "could" try to detain you with their "loss prevention" team, follow you to your car, get your license plate, and maybe block you in to keep you from driving away, and call the cops, but all the while they would walk the line between, "how sure are we this person stole from us" and "we don't want to get sued for false imprisonment."

I wonder how many thefts that door buzzer actually catches? It's gone off several times with me and it's usually some game or dvd that didn't get passed over the rfid thing good enough.

Found this interesting: http://www.crimedoctor.com/shoplifting3.htm

quote:

You must see the shoplifter approach the merchandise
You must see the shoplifter select the merchandise
You must see the shoplifter conceal, convert or carry away the merchandise
You must maintain continuous observation of the shoplifter
You must observe the shoplifter fail to pay for the merchandise
You must apprehend the shoplifter outside the store

I'm not saying walmart follows those guidelines but if they have something similar then everyone could just ignore the dumb door buzzer.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 13, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
How likely is it that California would extradite someone with a felony warrant out for his arrest, arrested in NV for disturbing the peace?

I don't have any info about what the felony was, or what county it happened in. Anyone have an idea about how this works out?

Grognan fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 13, 2016

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
lol, Chris McGooey, CPCPESSLM

I wouldn't trust anything I read on that website.

The complaints I see are usually just
1. Observed them take the merchandise
2. Observed them walk past all points of sale without paying for the merchandise.

I don't know where he's getting this outside the store or continuous observation stuff.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Grognan posted:

How likely is it that California would extradite someone with a felony warrant out for his arrest, arrested in NV for disturbing the peace?

Goddamn, how bad do you have to disturb the peace to have a felony warrant issued for your arrest?

(lol, "Criminal Anarchy"! NRS 203.115 https://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-203.html)

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blarzgh posted:

Goddamn, how bad do you have to disturb the peace to have a felony warrant issued for your arrest?

He had a standing CA felony warrant and got arrested in NV for disturbing the peace. I'm just hoping he stays in CA's care for the forseeable future.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Grognan posted:

He had a standing CA warrant and got arrested in NV for disturbing the peace. I'm just hoping he stays in CA's care for the forseeable future.

Ohhh, you're asking if NV is going to send him back to CA?

Since disturbing the peace is a misdemeanor, they probably would only keep him overnight unless CA and NV are in cahoots in on the warrant system. Then they might ship him off to CA in the morning.

Edit: Nevada would be the entity to extradite him to California, in that circumstance.

Double Edit: Its probably not likely that NV would send him to CA.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 13, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blarzgh posted:

Ohhh, you're asking if NV is going to send him back to CA?

Since disturbing the peace is a misdemeanor, they probably would only keep him overnight unless CA and NV are in cahoots in on the warrant system. Then they might ship him off to CA in the morning.

I'm pressing charges so he's staying until his court date in august and then I hope they will be shipping him out. The brief amount of googling suggests that CA has to ask for him back though.

Judge gave him 2,500 bail, no bonds so he is probably staying in jail until that court date.

TLDR: violent manchild that yells at his gf and kid at three in the morning all the time loses his poo poo when she manages to get the car keys and flees. Regularly has the cops called on him but I guess he knew enough to hide/lie to police when they arrive. Trashes a 7-11 and breaks his furniture, screams death threats at me and I'm lucky enough to have witnesses around that take statements.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Question:

I bought a full cart of junk at wal-mart today and the beeper alarm went off at the door. The old lady yelled at me to stop and come back in, I did. She then proceeded to slowly paw through everything with my receipt (that was long as my arm). She did this for 9 minutes (I checked my phone).

What could wal-mart do, legally, if I had just held up my middle finger and kept walking out to my car? I imagine they could ban me from ever coming back, but that would require them to know who I was, find me, and tell me I guess.

I asked the lady if she thought I had stolen anything and she said no. She just kept blabbering about store policy.

I ignored the buzzer and security guy at Best Buy about 15 years ago. He followed me to the car, demanding I let him look in the bag. When I reached my car, I tossed the bag in the trunk and shut the trunk. He blocked me in for a while and a manager came out and demanded I open the trunk and show them what was in the bag. I refused. I told them to review their security camera recordings, but it had already become a contest of wills. They threatened to call the cops. I said OK. Then we all just stood there for a while, each waiting out the other. Finally, they told me to leave and never ever return.

I think they are in their rights to refuse to let me into Best Buy. I have gone back, but it was years later.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

blarzgh posted:

lol, Chris McGooey, CPCPESSLM

I wouldn't trust anything I read on that website.

The complaints I see are usually just
1. Observed them take the merchandise
2. Observed them walk past all points of sale without paying for the merchandise.

I don't know where he's getting this outside the store or continuous observation stuff.

When I got loss prevention training in retail management, they talked about this. The whole lost sight so don't stop only applied to Real small items you could pocket, and letting someone shop lift something small was easier/cheaper than a confrontation gone wrong. Whether it had an effect on the legitimacy of stopping a shop lifter didn't really matter

The stopping outside thing is bs. It just that repeated line not actual shoplifting until they've actually left the store. Most shoplifters Werner going to get prosecuted anyways, so it didn't matter whether they committed the actual crime or not. And plus I guess attempted theft doesn't exist to some people.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Grognan posted:

I'm pressing charges so he's staying until his court date in august and then I hope they will be shipping him out. The brief amount of googling suggests that CA has to ask for him back though.

Judge gave him 2,500 bail, no bonds so he is probably staying in jail until that court date.

TLDR: violent manchild that yells at his gf and kid at three in the morning all the time loses his poo poo when she manages to get the car keys and flees. Regularly has the cops called on him but I guess he knew enough to hide/lie to police when they arrive. Trashes a 7-11 and breaks his furniture, screams death threats at me and I'm lucky enough to have witnesses around that take statements.

Ok, if he's being held on charges in Nevada right now, and you're asking whether California will ask for him back before he can go to trial in Nevada, the answer is almost certainly, "No, California will not ask for him back."

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blarzgh posted:

Ok, if he's being held on charges in Nevada right now, and you're asking whether California will ask for him back before he can go to trial in Nevada, the answer is almost certainly, "No, California will not ask for him back."

No, I just want to know if CA will take him at all. I really don't want to be neighbors with this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The answer is still, "probably not."

Edit: I guess you could call the jurisdiction in California that issued the warrant, and tell them that you got their boy down here in Nevada and see what they say.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 13, 2016