Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone create a new invite to the discord chat? I'm getting an error that says the invite is invalid or expired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

DS2's DLC had moments that shined, like the maddeningly convoluted guts of that poisoned ziggurat. So much verticality, all the weirdly placed switches, challenging enemies. The city's lore was cool and made sense. It was interesting how you began by descending through the inside of the pyramid rather than showing up at the bottom and climbing. It felt like an indiana jones treasure hunt.

Personally, I think DS2's dlc it went downhill after that. Then came the fire castle and the ice castle with re-skinned enemies. I see no lore reason why the poison / fire / ice kingdoms (shades of adventure time) would have the same 8 ft tall dudes in the same armor painted red and blue.

In my house, DS2 is sort of the Rodney Dangerfield of Souls games. My wife and I sneer at it but it's the game we have both played the most of. It don't get no respect.

Just went and looked at some youtube clips. I gotta say, the environments looked good.

Okay and they weren't just painted blue and red, they had different armor but you know what I mean.

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 12, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DS2 feels like an experimental game, one that changed a bunch of stuff to see if it works, and some of it did and some of it didn't; which means people are more likely to have strong feelings about it.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

StashAugustine posted:

DS2 feels like an experimental game, one that changed a bunch of stuff to see if it works, and some of it did and some of it didn't; which means people are more likely to have strong feelings about it.

Well put. It's not like DS3 is horrible or anything like that, but it made me think about the things DS2 did right.

One thing that makes DS1 stand out over both of them, in my humble opinion, is the characters. Solaire, Laurentius, Logan even Lautrec and Petrus all have relatable, emotional desires. I know that in DS2 nobody can remember what they want, and that's sort of DS2's whole deal, Lucatiel was sort of cool. In DS3 the cameos from 1 are neat but everyone is just sort of waiting around to help you. It makes them feel like utilities instead of people. Anybody feel me on this?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BBQ Dave posted:

Well put. It's not like DS3 is horrible or anything like that, but it made me think about the things DS2 did right.

One thing that makes DS1 stand out over both of them, in my humble opinion, is the characters. Solaire, Laurentius, Logan even Lautrec and Petrus all have relatable, emotional desires. I know that in DS2 nobody can remember what they want, and that's sort of DS2's whole deal, Lucatiel was sort of cool. In DS3 the cameos from 1 are neat but everyone is just sort of waiting around to help you. It makes them feel like utilities instead of people. Anybody feel me on this?

Agree

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

TheAnomaly posted:

to completely avoid fight clubs you probably have to change to a different location (not Anor Lando). If the sunbro wasn't a red sunbro, the host couldn't have dueled him, so either there's some hacking going in your game or the host had run off and died somewhere else.

I killed a red phantom and it said 'host of embers destroyed'. Looks like the PC version is now hacktown then.

edit: I've also seen multiple red guys at the same time... not sure if that's weird. Fight clubs seem way more normal than not, and fake fight clubs where everyone pretends to fight then turns on you and ganks you , are also a thing.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Broke up a gank party last night. It was my favorite PVP experience yet. I wish I'd remembered to record it.

I invaded Anor Londo and spawned up with all the archers. After making my way backwards through the level and looking at which enemies were dead vs. which were alive, I determined that the only place the host could be was down the ladder leading to McDonnell. Smelled like gank to me, so I decided to take a quick peek down there and get the gently caress out. I slid down the ladder just far enough that I could see into the room and then immediately fast climbed back up. I was immediately shot at by an invisible phantom who must have been using either an avelyn or the Black Bow of Pharis, because three rapid-fire arrows hit the ladder just below me. When I was at the top, I looked down the ladder and saw the host climbing up after me. I threw a GCFO at the top of the ladder and the host immediately slid back down. An Aldrich Faithful spawned so I used the point down gesture toward the ladder, and down we went.

The host was climbing up the ladder as I was sliding down again and met me about halfway up and took a couple of swipes at me. I judged the distance to the ground, then climbed up a couple of rungs, jumped off the ladder, and did a plunging attack, which knocked the host off the ladder. The combo of my plunging attack plus the huge amount of fall damage one-shotted the host. I don't know if the host didn't know that jumping off ladders was even a thing you could do or if he wasn't counting on me wearing the silvercat ring to break my fall or what. The Faithful was down the ladder quite quickly after that and the host's phantom ran up to him and took a couple of swings at him that were completely meaningless since everyone was already starting to despawn.

This was not the first time that proved to me that the silvercat ring is one of the best rings you can wear during an invasion. I love turning the terrain against the host when they're least expecting it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Have there been any major rebalances to this game lately? Kinda want to use something other than a straight sword (dare I wish for usable magic?)

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I am so close to beating the asylum demon. Man, this game is tough.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Mr Dog posted:

Have there been any major rebalances to this game lately? Kinda want to use something other than a straight sword (dare I wish for usable magic?)

Most of the weak stuff got buffed, most of the overpowered stuff got toned down. Pretty much everything is fine unless you're doing tryhard PvP. Pyromancy completely steamrolls PvE, sorcery does bonkers damage once you get the right gear and spells, miracles are pretty fun although the stat requirements are steep (and you can't get the best stuff until you've basically beaten the game). Hexes are pretty much alt-spells for the other three schools so a dedicated hexer might feel weak, scythes/claws/fists also feel weak in PvE. Can't go wrong with most anything else.

The only thing that might be a downside is that except for a few specific weapons (dragonslayer axe, gargoyle flame spear, astora greatsword, moonlight greatsword off the top of my head) straight swords are probably your best weapon option for a magic build since the combination of low requirements, high magic scaling, and fast attacks is hard to beat.

hampig fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 13, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Make a fire Cestus and go punch zombies in the graveyard for like 10 minutes.

It's the best.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i picked this back up after not playing for whatever reason for a long while and help i cant stop invading people i had like 85 ember at one point until i dumped it on a friend

thank god there's no way to estimate how many invasions ive lost because poo poo i lose a ton

although ive actually gotten to the point where ive won against 2v1s. part of this is because i decided to move up to soul level 65 with a +8 weapon instead of staying at 50/+5 forever out of fear of missing out on the aldrich action, so people i hit actually tend to die sometimes. also learning that if you just walk right into people's faces with any sort of shield up, a good chunk of hosts just sort of react with some sort of terror/awe and let you hit them a lot after youre good and point blank with them.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BBQ Dave posted:

The npcs in DS1 were all tragic, they couldn't escape their pasts and the future was a swiftly dying fire. It's kind of nuts how much of their pasts you can surmise from a few lines of dialogue and a couple item descriptions. I felt particularly bad for Patches, his back story was straight out of Spotlight. None of the npcs in the later games had any emotional resonance with me, but at least Gavlan wasn't too bummed out about living in the end times as long as there was a deal to be made.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Filthy Hans posted:

but at least Gavlan wasn't too bummed out about living in the end times as long as there was a deal to be made.

Visions of wheel
and then happiness...

Octo1
May 7, 2009
I hope they bring back Sen's Fortress in the DLC, but with all the silver knight statues replaced with actual silver knights.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
The whole Siegfried / Sieglinde quest was tragic as gently caress too. DS1 was such a great game. I remember just watching hours of lore videos for it after finishing it a few times.

I mean, they kind of tried to bring some of that magic back with Siegward, but they didn't seem to get it right. If only it could be so grossly incandescent.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Don't talk poo poo about my buddy Siegward. <:mad:>

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
He's a lazily rehashed character meant to elicit squeals from fangirls everywhere.

He is a Bad Character.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

siegward is a warrior of sunlight from catarina. he is literally siegmeyer + solaire fused together.

but he's also (do I really need to spoil it at this point? ah whatever) top bro with a giant lord of cinder which was a pretty cool plotline imo, hope it gets expanded upon in the dlc.

maybe I really just wish his voice actor was different from siegmeyer's.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

The npcs in DS1 were all tragic, they couldn't escape their pasts and the future was a swiftly dying fire. It's kind of nuts how much of their pasts you can surmise from a few lines of dialogue and a couple item descriptions. I felt particularly bad for Patches, his back story was straight out of Spotlight. None of the npcs in the later games had any emotional resonance with me, but at least Gavlan wasn't too bummed out about living in the end times as long as there was a deal to be made.

Yep. DS1's treatment of theme of desire is a lot better than DS2's. The only way to save Solaire and Laurentius is by NOT HELPING THEM achieve their desires. You gotta hide the "sun" from Solaire and not tell Laurentius about the trainer in blight town (I think Maneater Mildred got him BTW). Logan's quest consumes him, he might be better off in one of those cages.

DS2 tried to be ... deeper and more elusive I guess in regard to that theme in that people do not know why they want what they want. There's some genuinely creepy cool moments, like when the armor merchant is doing really well and says: "I'm rich, I'm rich…Mwa hah hah! I don't need to go home anymore! Home…home…? Where…where is home…?" THe memory of why he didn't want to go home and where his home was vanished long before his want for riches. Also the armorer and his daughter being just a few yards from each other, both of them wanting a reunion but neither remembering who they want to be reunited with. It works, but there's no emotion.

Then you get to DS3 and everyone is just sitting around picking their noses waiting for the promised one to save the world/destroy it/whatever feels right bro just do what your heart tells you you're the video game player. Everyone's so passive and apathetic linking the fire just seems wrong.

Don't get me started about the Shrine Maiden/Herald/DS3 Firekeeper. Vacant, toneless, droning women who exist to serve the player with no apparent or hidden desires of their own (the doll gets a pass on this). Remember in DS1 when fire keeping was an equal opportunity occupation? Verbaly challenged women, veteran women in armor, even ladies with spider butts could be firekeepers. It's discrimination I say!

P.S. Siegward's my favorite character in DS3, but you gotta admit Siegmeyer and his daughter's story is straight up better in every way than a promise between a giant and an onion knight. :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdliu3JOSYQ

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 13, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I liked Lucatiel. :shrug:

It wasn't a whole lot about her struggling with "want," it was just somebody suffering from the loss of self and doing what she could to fight it, and failing.

It makes the curse seem pretty goddamn horrible, which is an interesting contrast to DS3 which seems to have almost completely forgot about Hollowing even though it was a huge component of the rest of the series. In fact, Hollowing is now good because you get free level-ups! What a deal!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

DS2's not really about the theme of desire, though? If it were then we'd rightly be annoyed about it repeating itself, but the central premise was instead that the world runs on entropic cycles not unlike the yugas and more generally samsara. (Really, where else could you go as a sequel to DS1 without declaring one ending or the other to be canon?) Some attempts have been made to break things*, but at the end of the day even the Bearer of the Curse cannot break the cycle for all. All you can do is to reject the throne in the same manner as Vendrick (which is why you have to kill him, as he was a previous claimant) and try to share your own moksha, your own personal breaking of the cycle (achievable with all the crowns), with others. (This is what you've been searching for since the beginning of the game, an escape from the curse.) And as for the Emerald Herald, she's already seen a cycle come and go despite attempts to break it. Hence she's resigned to the whims of the wheel of fate, pushing you to take the throne because she doesn't perceive an alternative.

In Lucatiel's case, she's probably died several times over the course of the game. Each time she gets back up, because she's trapped like the world in samsara, but each time as she reincarnates she also suffers from that entropic decay of hollowing in her own personal final yuga.

Now of course I'm probably butchering Hinduism and Buddhism a bit, but those are probably the most famous sources of "the world runs on cycles that one day we hope to escape".

*Vendrick not taking the throne and breaking the Lordvessel in Majula, Aldia's attempts to recreate things outside the cycle such as dragons, Nashandra scheming to send things into a final Dark.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I liked Lucatiel. :shrug:

It wasn't a whole lot about her struggling with "want," it was just somebody suffering from the loss of self and doing what she could to fight it, and failing.

It makes the curse seem pretty goddamn horrible, which is an interesting contrast to DS3 which seems to have almost completely forgot about Hollowing even though it was a huge component of the rest of the series. In fact, Hollowing is now good because you get free level-ups! What a deal!

Lucatiel was my favorite in DS2 and you're right, she doesn't struggle with want. She was the only character who had a struggle I cared about and related to and she just kept on keeping on.

It's odd that the "hollow" ending is the one that has an some fun extra quest stuff and a third ending beyond the obvious binary link fire / no not link fire. They should call it the fulfilling ending. It even ends with "make londor whole" wholeness being the opposite of hollowness. Huh. Never thought about that.

Still you're right about hollowing not being a huge component, and it seems weird and wrong, almost like the language the NPCs use has changed between games. Is unkindled a special form of undeath? Is there a difference between when an unkindled becomes hollow and when an undead becomes hollow? In DS1 undeath and hollowing were two different things particularly in terms of what they meant to NPCs. Practically everyone was undead (except Sigmeyer's daughter if he is to be believed) but not necessarily hollow.

For me it comes down to this: thematically, hollowing is cool because it internalizes what's happening to the world. Just as the fire in the world is fading the will of each undead in the world to not become hollow fades as well. I don't see that in DS3. Hollowing is a religion/secret club now. It's like everyone is burnt out, and I don't care if that fits with the visual theme. It's disappointing. Nonetheless DS3 is a cool game for cool people and I play it a lot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All 3 games have at least one NPC who goes around and does their own thing instead of just turning into a stationary item/exposition vending machine, but in dark souls 1 that's almost all of the NPCs instead of just 1 or 2 of them so they are way more interesting. Basically all of them have their own objectives and go on their own journeys unrelated to yours, even the crestfallen guy (not that his motives are noble or that he gets very far). The firekeepers are an exception but they all have something interesting about them and have a reason to be there in the setting that is not related to you.

Lucatiel and siegward are the only ones in later games who feel the same way. Greirat would be more convincing if you actually met him when he is thieving instead of him just vanishing from your game for awhile before he becomes vending machine +1.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Last night I accidentally popped a seed in Firelink. After laughing my rear end off, I tried to think of a situation where that would have any effect on anything whatsoever. Maybe kiting a shrine NPC to the swordmaster? Can the NPCs even leave the shrine in the first place?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

...! posted:

Last night I accidentally popped a seed in Firelink. After laughing my rear end off, I tried to think of a situation where that would have any effect on anything whatsoever. Maybe kiting a shrine NPC to the swordmaster? Can the NPCs even leave the shrine in the first place?

You can kite Yuria to the entrance and she won't be able to move through it, allowing for an easy kill if you want an early Darkdrift.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm on New Game + and I keep finding estus shards, but I can't reinforce my flask past 15.

Why do I keep finding them and what do I do with them?

I'm in the latter half of the road of sacrifices, and I'm constantly invaded by watchdogs of farron. Is that the PvP covenant? If so, everyone who invades me lags like a champ, so I'm able to wreck them with my +5 BKG, oddly enough. However, when I kill an invader I get a message 'Loyal Watchdog XXX has died...' and I get nothing.

Are they NPC invaders? I don't think so because they lag so badly.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Watchdogs of Farron are area defenders. Think of it kind of like the Bellkeepers from DS2. They can randomly invade you if you're in Crucifixion Woods or Farron Keep.

Aldritch Faithful are the same, but for the area between Pontiff Sulyvahn and Another Londo.

They're human players.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Oh ok. Why don't I get anything for beating them?

Also, what do I do with these estus shards?

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo

lite_sleepr posted:

Just discard them, once your flask has reached max reinforcement there's no more use for them.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
That's dumb.

DS 3 is dumb a lot of the time.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

BBQ Dave posted:

Also the armorer and his daughter being just a few yards from each other, both of them wanting a reunion but neither remembering who they want to be reunited with. It works, but there's no emotion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdliu3JOSYQ

Maughlin has a daughter this whole time? Who?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

lite_sleepr posted:

Oh ok. Why don't I get anything for beating them?

You don't get items for killing invaders except as a Bluecop (or, for some reason, when killing Mound Makers as a phantom in general)

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

lite_sleepr posted:

Maughlin is the armor dealer not the armorer. The blacksmith, whose shop you unlock, has a daughter - the chick who sells stones.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

HaB posted:

Maughlin is the armor dealer not the armorer. The blacksmith, whose shop you unlock, has a daughter - the chick who sells stones.

The blacksmith in question is named Lenigrast, by the way. And the daughter is Chloanne.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo

lite_sleepr posted:

That's dumb.

DS 3 is dumb a lot of the time.

Yeah, at least in DS2 you could see your extra shards and bone dust to Gavlan, and in DS1 you could pop extra Fire Keeper souls for humanity. Kind of strange they didn't give you the option to sell your extra shards in DS3, even for a pittance.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I can't seem to think of a good reason to use the Morion Blade apart from "looks cool." It's weaker than a Longsword and it's bleed isn't so good because it can't be buffed. Also it can't be hollow infused so at lvl 120 you have to choose between a quality build (making the bleed worthless) and luck/dex or /str and not doing very good damage. I tried to like it but I just find it subpar.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

My bad! I meant blacksmith (goes to wiki) Lenigrast! Man it's been a while. I wanna go back and play a 2 hander strength build.

Edit: Oop! shoulda read the older posts before posting/

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 14, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Filthy Hans posted:

I can't seem to think of a good reason to use the Morion Blade apart from "looks cool." It's weaker than a Longsword and it's bleed isn't so good because it can't be buffed. Also it can't be hollow infused so at lvl 120 you have to choose between a quality build (making the bleed worthless) and luck/dex or /str and not doing very good damage. I tried to like it but I just find it subpar.

You don't use it, you carry it in your off-hand for it's boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
It sucks you can't do anything with them at all.

I decided to Souls Play a cleric who set out on a path, but began to hollow, and forgot what she set out to do.

Clad in the Herald armor of her order, and clutching her cleric-associated red hilted halberd, she sets off to try and figure out why she is in this accursed land, and what it is she's supposed to do.

I had a ton of shards from last game so I decided to get my red hilted halbertd to +10. This thing hits about as hard as the +5 black knight glaive I have, which means it isn't total garbage. Has the same stat scaling too (bad.) What should I infuse this thing with?