Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is best in life?
This poll is closed.
Idols 44 15.22%
Baps 77 26.64%
Robots 72 24.91%
3d 38 13.15%
Touhous 58 20.07%
Total: 289 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

i fuckin hate spanish it was the worst class i had in high school by far!!!

i think your hatred of foreign languages is well established by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

How dare you

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I want to learn portugese, so I can talk to brazillians on the internet. its part of my 4 Corners Strategy, where I learn the 4 corners of the linguistic internet, english, japanese, korean, and brazillian portugese

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

in that order though, so korean is next

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

my parents made me learn french and im forever mad that they didn't guess i would become who i am and make me learn japanese

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I didn't enjoy foreign languages in school but now there are people I would really love to talk to with their first language.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I didn't enjoy foreign languages in school but now there are people I would really love to talk to with their first language.

hallå

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Like, I'd like to talk to my wife in spanish, say hello to my friend Droyer in Swedish, read a manga in japanese, call Plutonis a fag in whatever his first language is.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wish my parents had forced me to learn some other language when I was young and spongy, my brain is all old and calcified now and I'm too lazy to put in the effort required to make things stick.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

I wish my parents had forced me to learn some other language when I was young and spongy, my brain is all old and calcified now and I'm too lazy to put in the effort required to make things stick.

if it makes you feel better i've never used french since i finished high school and now my french is terrible anyway

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

I have the impression if my parents had taught me a foreign language as a child I would've probably forgotten most of it by now if I didn't have someone to talk to. I grew up in the south so this most definitely would've happened.

Minus japanese I suppose because well anime and games.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

my parents made me learn french and im forever mad that they didn't guess i would become who i am and make me learn japanese

there is a lot of anime and manga that is translated into french that has no english translation + will likely never will

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why does vocalt hate nonwhites

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

But now you can go to Japan and impress everyone with your cool and suave French.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

there is a lot of anime and manga that is translated into french that has no english translation + will likely never will

This has come up a few times before, but every time it does people don't provide examples. :argh:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i just really wanted to learn french in high school man and they didn't offer it

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

i just really wanted to learn french in high school man and they didn't offer it

It's a pointless language from a country full of xenophobic assholes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

sacre bleu

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

there's so many languages i'd like to know fluently~~

i only really know latin and i've forgotten the rest i've taken

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'd like to be fluent in another language, but I would need to practice it a lot every day to get there, and I'm not going to be able to get myself to do that unless I'm living somewhere where competency in a non-english language is a flat-out necessity for basic subsistance.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

no that's english

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Droyer posted:

no that's english

No, English isn't pointless.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lemon-Lime posted:

that's ever language

join me and my friend roland barthes' quest to make a non-vocal universal language

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I was taught french up through to 8th grade, whereupon I met a teacher that ripped up one of my final exams because I had the gall to write instructions she gave to us verbally before the test on the booklet.

Basically gently caress French forever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Brexit and another four years of Tory Hell mean I am probably going to move back out of the UK, which means probably ending back in Paris, which is a black pit in the Earth from whence Satan crawled, and I'm going to hate every second of it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

One of the few things I legit liked in that movie Elysium was that all the pretentious rich assholes spoke bad French even though everyone back on Earth either spoke Spanish or English.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

NotALizardman posted:

I tried watching the first episode of taboo tattoo and it wasn't very good.

If you don't watch the second episode you'll miss out on the greatest name for a heroine ever.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

also i don't think i'm white

being non white is okay

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Brexit and another four years of Tory Hell mean I am probably going to move back out of the UK, which means probably ending back in Paris, which is a black pit in the Earth from whence Satan crawled, and I'm going to hate every second of it.

What's so bad about Paris?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My grandma used to brag about the cherokee blood pumping in our veins but my dna test said I was all white. 50% Western European, 50% Eastern.

Guess the cherokee blood got lost somewhere along the way. :shrug:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cowwan posted:

Like 90% of my want to learn Japanese is to be free of translators that give up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

My grandma used to brag about the cherokee blood pumping in our veins but my dna test said I was all white. 50% Western European, 50% Eastern.

I know I'm half navajo but I have no idea how or if it translates into non-whiteness

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

One of the few things I legit liked in that movie Elysium was that all the pretentious rich assholes spoke bad French even though everyone back on Earth either spoke Spanish or English.

Jodie Foster actually went to a French school in LA and as a result, speaks perfect French with barely any trace of an American accent, so it actually wasn't bad French! :v:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

What's so bad about Paris?

the french live there

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

If one more white person tells me that that their great grandmother was an Indian princess I'm going to loving scream

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Haha, my mom had the same thing happen. All her life it was "you know you're 1/4 Cherokee" , blood test pointed to 100% fair skinned western European.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

every country sucks in its own particular way

"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way" -Лев Никола́евич Толсто́й

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Jodie Foster actually went to a French school in LA and as a result, speaks perfect French with barely any trace of an American accent, so it actually wasn't bad French! :v:

That's interesting because when that movie came out everyone was going on about how bad her accent was. I had no clue what a bad or good french accent sounded like so I just assumed they were right but that maybe her having a bad accent was the point.

Glad that's cleared up.

• Locked thread