Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Two more

BEATEN: Verde Station - Story game that's short and a little ugly where you're a space gardener that's pretty much trapped in horrible isolation for a year and losing their mind.

BEATEN: Darkness Within - Cthulhu game in the Jonathan Boakes vein of games. Needed a walkthrough to avoid pixel hunting for objects. Also some clues and stuff won't be available to you until you do other things which is annoying because you'll read a document and assume that you're done with it but nope you have to go back to it again.

ADDED: Odallus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Eh! Frank posted:

BROKEN: L.A. Noire - Well, after the multiple random crashes, I had the great idea to try uninstalling & reinstalling the game, and now it won't launch at all. Browsing the Steam forums for the game, it appears a recent patch made the game completely unplayable on Windows 10 and possibly other versions, so... awesome. No idea if/when they'll ever fix it, from what I've seen Rockstar doesn't really give a crap for the PC versions of their games. I was really enjoying L.A. Noire too. Hopefully they'll actually make an effort to fix it, but I'm not holding my breath... well, I'll keep it installed on my computer for a few more days, but after that, I give up.

I've been steering clear of Windows 10 as much as I can. I don't like 8, which is what I have and is completley incompatible with some of my favorite games, so I don't even want to know all the little fun surprises Windows 10 would have in store.

Are you willing to dedicate a VirtualBox to Windows 7 and LA Noire, assuming you can still find a Windows 7 disk?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I admire you and your dedication to demolishing your backlog. You're what I aspire to be.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

BEATEN: Highrise Heroes: Fun word-seek game, though I'm really bad at it. It's clear as you get farther in the game that not many people have gotten there, even middling scores rate fairly high on the global board.

BEATEN: Flame Over: Finally finished it all in one run. Still a fun game I might come back to when I have an action-y roguelike itch. Managed to beat it without the super hose, which doesn't seem to spawn for me anymore. Could have been much easier with it.

Now Playing: Portal 2
: Some people have said this is good???

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Beaten: Saints Row: The Third - I'll start off by saying I liked SR4 more than 3 due having superpowers that let me wreak havoc like a supervillain across the city. SR3 was still a fun, over the top, ride though that had me chuckling at different points.

Beaten: Max Payne 3 - The gameplay is great. I love the bullet time and the new recovery mechanic. The graphics are nice and colorful varied Brazil is a welcome departure from gritty samey New York. When it comes to problems though the Max Payne series hits 3 for 3 at me. Although thankfully it's not an issue that will effect those without 21:9 monitors or prevent you from beating the game. What happened to me was when a cutscene would play, instead of pillarboxing to 16:9 on my 21:9 monitor, they pillarboxed to 9:16 as if recorded on a smartphone camera or shrunk to 800x600. I skipped through the ones I could, so I only got the board strokes of the story.

Playing next: Saints Row 2

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

MrSlam posted:

I've been steering clear of Windows 10 as much as I can. I don't like 8, which is what I have and is completley incompatible with some of my favorite games, so I don't even want to know all the little fun surprises Windows 10 would have in store.

Are you willing to dedicate a VirtualBox to Windows 7 and LA Noire, assuming you can still find a Windows 7 disk?

I think I still have a Windows 7 disk somewhere, but VirtualBox sounds like too much trouble. I have the option of rolling back to Windows 7 without paying anything within 30 days of upgrading, I may end up doing that. I've tested out a few other games to see if they'd run on 10, the only other game I've had troubles with so far is Car Mechanic Simulator 2015, which crashes when trying to load certain vehicles and seemed to have some texture problems (luckily when the game crashes, it gives you an error log to send to the developers, which I did so maybe I'll get an answer). Otherwise, Dishonored, Injustice, and Terraria (three of my most-played games) all run well, so I may hold off on rolling back. I'll just need to set a reminder for myself so I don't miss the deadline.

L.A. Noire's review score on Steam now is kinda amusing/depressing: Overall - Very Positive (87%), Recent - Mixed (55%)

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Eh! Frank posted:

BROKEN: L.A. Noire - Well, after the multiple random crashes, I had the great idea to try uninstalling & reinstalling the game, and now it won't launch at all. Browsing the Steam forums for the game, it appears a recent patch made the game completely unplayable on Windows 10 and possibly other versions, so... awesome. No idea if/when they'll ever fix it, from what I've seen Rockstar doesn't really give a crap for the PC versions of their games. I was really enjoying L.A. Noire too. Hopefully they'll actually make an effort to fix it, but I'm not holding my breath... well, I'll keep it installed on my computer for a few more days, but after that, I give up.

I also installed Team Fortress 2 a week or so ago because I just felt like a quick shoot-em-up, I'd tried it out a couple years ago but didn't really get into it. But this time I had fun, no problems or anything. Then a couple days later, they released an update. Now it takes 10+ minutes for the game's matchmaking to find a game to connect to. So thumbs up to developers loving up their games this week!

That is strange... I've been playing L.A. Noire in Windows 10 without any issues. I've started a new play through in January, took a long break from it, and now that I launced it again it runs ok. I mean it does launch and I can go places in-game without crashes -- at least for the half hour that I tested.

It did install a Social Club update. The game's menu screen says v1.3 (Build 2617) DX11.

This is on a Windows 10 Pro x64 machine, with intel i7 5930k @3.50Ghz and an AMD HD7950. Latest updates, and 16.6.1 Crimson Driver for the GPU.

The Steam reviews, do seem to indicate that there are many others having problem in Windows 10 (or maybe it's with the latest Social Club patch).

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

AbstractNapper posted:

That is strange... I've been playing L.A. Noire in Windows 10 without any issues. I've started a new play through in January, took a long break from it, and now that I launced it again it runs ok. I mean it does launch and I can go places in-game without crashes -- at least for the half hour that I tested.

It did install a Social Club update. The game's menu screen says v1.3 (Build 2617) DX11.

This is on a Windows 10 Pro x64 machine, with intel i7 5930k @3.50Ghz and an AMD HD7950. Latest updates, and 16.6.1 Crimson Driver for the GPU.

The Steam reviews, do seem to indicate that there are many others having problem in Windows 10 (or maybe it's with the latest Social Club patch).
You kept it installed the whole time? From what I've read, people who've had the game already installed since before the latest update are having less problems than the ones who have installed it recently. My system is also getting a bit old-ish, so that may be compounding the problem for me.

NULLED/MONEY'S WORTH: Five Nights at Freddy's - I noticed the FNaF series is currently on sale on Steam. I already own the first game, so I was tempted to go ahead and get the rest of the series. But I decided to try it out first to make sure it was actually something I would want to play for multiple games. And it turns out I am (still) a huge baby when it comes to horror games. I played for about fifteen minutes, then turned it off (after dying a couple of times). It was cheap (pretty sure I got it on sale too, but it was a while ago) so I don't consider it a waste of money, plus I can keep it to spring on friends and family.

I was curious to see how the game and series progressed, though, so I tried looking for a LP of it on Youtube, and boy howdy was that a mistake. Almost all of them had face-cams with the gamers overreacting to every last thing. I'd seen short bits of Markiplier in the past, and I remembered not really liking him, but I thought I'd give him another chance since he had a full run of all the games. Jesus Christ, I could not get past the first video. He has a decent radio voice, I'll give him that, but he is just constantly mugging, making exaggerated faces and yelling, and it just totally obnoxious and unfunny (that and he has a reeeeaaaaallllly punchable face). I really don't understand how he is so popular, unless it's just kids watching him or something. I ended up watching the Game Bang group-LP of the games at Smosh (a little more bearable since the multiple players kinda balanced each other out), as well as their Honest Game trailers, and I lost interest by the time they got to the third game (as did they). So, yeah, good thing I didn't buy the series.

I was going to go into a longer rant about "professional" Youtube gamers in general, but it was dragging out too long and this isn't the thread for it.

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 13, 2016

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

MrSlam posted:

Actually I have had less problems with win10 than with win 7 and win 8

the Win 10 compatibility is actually good

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Eh! Frank posted:

I really don't understand how he is so popular, unless it's just kids watching him or something.

Bingo. As far as I understand it, they're the core audience for every single channel like that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I've started to use Steam Completionist to try and get through my backlog, or at least give eveey game a shot. I play everything from the couch now, so having a Steam controller helps in that endeavour. Some I've played a bunch, but haven't actually gotten to the true ending.

So, right now, I have 10 games on tap:

Antichamber
FTL
Gunpoint
Mark of the Ninja
Shovel Knight
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Spelunky (beaten on 360, once)
Amnesia
Darkest Dungeon
Invisible Inc

Any suggestions on what to tackle first? I kind of want to order them, and whenever I beat whatever's listed as #1, I'll move everything up one, and add a new game in the #10 spot.

I think that's a good system. I genuinely enjoy all of these games, but I'm constantly hit with this weird feeling of never having the motivation to play any of them, despite having an almost nightly opportunity to do so (plus there's usually nothing else to do).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Antichamber can be completed in a weekend evening and it's the kind of game that's best played at once because its shtick is an ever changing setting. Gunpoint is about as short. Mark of the Ninja and Shovel Knight are a little more involved and you should tackle them like a weekend rental. Amnesia and Stick of Truth are longer and more evolved and about equal length. The big problem is fitting in the roguelikes FTL, Spelunky, Darkest Dungeon, and Invisible Inc. FTL and Spelunky are the least involved because the cycle of runs is much shorter. Invisible Inc's "story" is pretty short but it's all about customizing its difficulty as you get more comfortable with its gameplay. Completing Darkest Dungeon is its own project.

So really I'd say get Antichamber and Gunpoint out of the way and play the roguelikes inbetween Mark of the Ninja and Shovel Knight. You can book end them with South Park and Amnesia, although I'd probably play South Park after amnesia to wash away the grunge and horror.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

Antichamber can be completed in a weekend evening and it's the kind of game that's best played at once because its shtick is an ever changing setting. Gunpoint is about as short. Mark of the Ninja and Shovel Knight are a little more involved and you should tackle them like a weekend rental. Amnesia and Stick of Truth are longer and more evolved and about equal length. The big problem is fitting in the roguelikes FTL, Spelunky, Darkest Dungeon, and Invisible Inc. FTL and Spelunky are the least involved because the cycle of runs is much shorter. Invisible Inc's "story" is pretty short but it's all about customizing its difficulty as you get more comfortable with its gameplay. Completing Darkest Dungeon is its own project.

So really I'd say get Antichamber and Gunpoint out of the way and play the roguelikes inbetween Mark of the Ninja and Shovel Knight. You can book end them with South Park and Amnesia, although I'd probably play South Park after amnesia to wash away the grunge and horror.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback! So, the new list's order is:

1. Antichamber
2. Gunpoint
3. Shovel Knight
4. FTL
5. Mark of the Ninja
6. Spelunky
7. Amnesia
8. SP
9. Invisible Inc
10. Darkest Dungeon

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Yodzilla posted:

Subnautica has sucked me in.

I'm really looking forward to this leaving Early Access so I can play it to completion.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thanks, appreciate the feedback! So, the new list's order is:

1. Antichamber
2. Gunpoint
3. Shovel Knight
4. FTL
5. Mark of the Ninja
6. Spelunky
7. Amnesia
8. SP
9. Invisible Inc
10. Darkest Dungeon

That list looks good, but I'd also warn you: Shovel Knight is really, really difficult in its later stages, and if you don't have the patience/skill for precision jumping under pressure, it could put a stopper on finishing it. (Thinking of you, Propeller Knight!) It's really good otherwise, just be warned that when you tackle it, it won't be as forgiving as Mark of the Ninja.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

That list looks good, but I'd also warn you: Shovel Knight is really, really difficult in its later stages, and if you don't have the patience/skill for precision jumping under pressure, it could put a stopper on finishing it. (Thinking of you, Propeller Knight!) It's really good otherwise, just be warned that when you tackle it, it won't be as forgiving as Mark of the Ninja.

Well, the good thing is, I've already beaten Propellor Knight, so :toot:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
The Windows 10 talk reminds me I have to make that decision too... Think I'm leaning towards not upgrading since I don't really need to - I've had very few problems with Win7 so why fix what isn't broken? On the other hand it's a free upgrade, and those are difficult to resist sometimes. Maybe I'll flip a coin.

I didn't buy anything during the sale so my backlog has gone down some more:

Towers of Altrac: A very budget tower defense with 62 levels, the longest ones taking up to an hour. It isn't bad for a team of three brothers but has some critical issues. One is the art direction is not good; units and towers can be difficult to see against the terrain, making readability very poor. Another issue is that there are no checkpoints and you can't save mid-mission. That means a sudden, unexpected difficulty spike (of which there are many) towards the end of a mission can make you lose 45 minutes of play, which is frustrating. For that reason I opted to play on Easy - I just don't have the patience to restart missions over and over because wave 16 out of 18 was badly balanced. Even on Easy I still lost the occasional level, though. The balancing is just all over the place.

The towers are all right, mostly the standard stuff, though some are a bit more interesting. I liked the tree that sends out a deadly swarm of birds. The best thing about the game is the map design, which can be quite interesting. Studying the battlefield before sending out the first wave is really important. There are often five or more spawn points (and multiple exit points), and their paths very often converge, diverge, then merge again, etc., and enemies will sometimes take alternate, less defended routes around your killzone, so you need to be flexible. Unfortunately you have to study the map with a giant unremoveable START MISSION button in the middle of your screen. Click that and you only get 15 seconds or so before the creeps start creeping. For the later levels that's not enough time to understand the map.

There are certainly better offerings in this genre on Steam so there's probably no real reason to buy this but if you already have it from a bundle and are desperate for a new TD you might as well try it.

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising: The first C&C game I've played in twenty years. Probably a bad place to get reacquainted with the series, and particularly because I'm bad at RTS. I did love how bright and colorful it was, and I'm a fan of the cheesy acting. I played through the tutorial and all mini-campaigns (Yuriko's was my favorite, likely cause it's not traditional RTS missions) but I'm going to skip the Commander's Challenge, even though it seems like the meat of the expansion. It seems really long and supposedly it's quite difficult at times, so eh. Overall I had fun with this but aside from Yuriko's campaign and the first Soviet mission I had to play on Easy because I just can't handle the AI harassing me with a dozen tanks every five minutes. On Easy I could kinda go at my own pace and then just brute-force the victory with a huge amount of bombers or something.

One time I tried to protect my bombers from AI aircraft by sending along my own anti-air planes. They got chewed up in seconds and the bombers just absorbed all the damage and still managed to bomb their targets before dying. Every time I try a more nuanced approach in an RTS it never ever works for me. Like I might build the right unit to counter an AI tank, but then it won't be in the right spot and by the time I move it there someone else will have taken it out less efficiently. I'm just awful at these games. The game gives me the pieces but I don't know how to fit them together. There are so many units and abilities but inevitably I just randomly build stuff and send it all together to roll over the AI. I guess in higher difficulties that might be harder to do. To Uprising's credit, some of the missions expressly force you to use specific units and abilities, which was nice.

One thing I didn't like is that my units seemed to have very poor vision. An enemy unit could be shooting up my base while a bunch of my units are casually standing 'round next to an adjacent building doing nothing. I mean he's right there, shoot him. This felt much worse than in any other RTS I've played.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RA3 Uprising is basically a mission pack for people who found RA3 easy, so not the best place to start playing that game, no. But it's still fun. If you enjoyed it try getting the base game because the B-acting in it is top notch (Tim Curry just chews the scenery throughout the whole thing) and I find the game really fun. Playing co-op was also rather neat but I imagine that's gone now with Gamespy's death. If you do get the RA3 base game, the campaign difficulty goes Soviets => Allies => Japanese, easiest to hardest.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

RA3 Uprising is basically a mission pack for people who found RA3 easy, so not the best place to start playing that game, no. But it's still fun. If you enjoyed it try getting the base game because the B-acting in it is top notch (Tim Curry just chews the scenery throughout the whole thing) and I find the game really fun. Playing co-op was also rather neat but I imagine that's gone now with Gamespy's death. If you do get the RA3 base game, the campaign difficulty goes Soviets => Allies => Japanese, easiest to hardest.

I think co-op can still be played with virtual LAN like Hamachi and the likes.

Edit: Oh, actually maybe https://cnc-online.net/ supports co-op too?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Brackhar posted:

I'm really looking forward to this leaving Early Access so I can play it to completion.

Yeah the fact that it's not procedurally generated makes me more hopeful. I can see where the game is still early though as it seems like there's not a whole lot to bases still besides building lots of hallways for no good reason.

NULLED - Blood & Bacon: game is really bad but kinda charming and I got past day 20 and feel like I've seen all there is to see. A good buy for under a buck.

NULLED - Subnautica: until there's another big update

BEAT - DOOM: just the goddamn best, I want more. MORE!

BEAT - Hard Reset Redux: a solid first person shooter now with a new engine, more dynamic lighting, a completely useless sword weapon that you can ignore, and a very helpful and welcome dash move. Yeah enemies are bullet spongey as hell and all splash damage/melee hitboxes are way bigger than visually indicated but it's still a pretty rad game. My go-to loadout was mortar with stasis and rocket launcher all day.

BEAT - Salt & Sanctuary: it's far more Dark Souls than Castlevania so it may rub people the wrong way but holy hell is this a well made game. Yeah the story is naff and some enemies are beyond obnoxious but overall a really, really solid Souls Like. My biggest problem is honestly the lack of a map, something games with distinct landmarks in a 3D space can avoid. There's a reason just about every Metroidvania includes a map though and getting lost is a real time sink in this game.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 14, 2016

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah there's a decent chance I'll grab the original in the next sale if my backlog's looking healthy by then. :) It's rare that I have an itch to play an RTS so when I find one I like it's probably a good idea to just get more of the same, if it exists.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

:reject: the best place to start with Red Alert 3 is to go back and play Red Alert 2

I'm joking, but I honestly wonder if I hadn't been such a fan of RA2 (it's in my top 3 favorite games) if I would've enjoyed RA3 more. As it stands all I can see when I play it is a dozen things I'd have changed.

Yodzilla posted:

BEAT - Salt & Sanctuary: it's far more Dark Souls than Castlevania so it may rub people the wrong way but holy hell is this a well made game. Yeah the story is naff and some enemies are beyond obnoxious but overall a really, really solid Souls Like. My biggest problem is honestly the lack of a map, something games with distinct landmarks in a 3D space can avoid. There's a reason just about every Metroidvania includes a map though and getting lost is a real time sink in this game.

I really need to go back and give this another shot too. I played the PC port for a good half hour and I got fatigued though I think that's kind of the point with a Souls Like. I wonder if a USB controller would help me grasp the controls and combat a little better than the mouse and keyboard.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

MrSlam posted:

I really need to go back and give this another shot too. I played the PC port for a good half hour and I got fatigued though I think that's kind of the point with a Souls Like. I wonder if a USB controller would help me grasp the controls and combat a little better than the mouse and keyboard.

I have to imagine yes very much, the game is hard enough without fighting the controls.

Also PRO TIP sword and board is a REALLY hard way to go, it's really not a game you can tank because you're just going to be staggered over and over again. Magic starts kinda weak but soon becomes OP as hell and you can just nuke everything.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Glare Seethe posted:

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising:

Just reminds me i have all the command and conquers either on Origin or Steamand really want to play through the campaigns again. Agh backlog.

My list:

Playing - Paragon (PS4) I have never really been into MOBAs, but something about the game being in 3rd person and not being mouse clicks (but where instead you feel like you are actually controlling the character) sits better with me. Only played against AI and still learning the systems, but its a cool game that I hope to play with friends.

Playing - Galax-Z An Asteroids roguelight. Pretty fun. Pretty hard. But pretty good.

Playing - Elder Scrolls Online (PS4) Man Im really doing lovely with this trying to beat games thing. I love Elder Scrolls games, and while this is certainly different, it does scratch the itch in a good way. Never played it when it was bad, but I think it is pretty good and it has no subscription fee. So there is that.

Playing - Cubixx HD Its Qix on a 3D cube. Lots of modes. 50 single player levels. up to 7 people playing coop at once - LOCALLY. It is pretty great.

Playing - Subnautica Really pretty crafting game that ends up being a bit more shallow (Hah pun!) than I would have hoped for. After 10-15 hours, you probably have seen most of what the game has.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

strategery posted:

Just reminds me i have all the command and conquers either on Origin or Steamand really want to play through the campaigns again. Agh backlog.

My list:

Playing - Paragon (PS4) I have never really been into MOBAs, but something about the game being in 3rd person and not being mouse clicks (but where instead you feel like you are actually controlling the character) sits better with me. Only played against AI and still learning the systems, but its a cool game that I hope to play with friends.

You should check out SMITE, also on PS4 (and PC). It's a third person MOBA with a fantasy style.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

So much for backlog progress. Thanks Steam sale!

COMPLETED: Plague Inc: Evolved. Fun for a while, but all the disease types, the scenarios, the Steam Workshop support; all of that is an attempt to distract you from the fact that the core gameplay is repetitive and lacking in substance. I did play 26 hours of it, so it's not boring as such, but before you buy PI:E play the free flash game Pandemic 2 to see if you want (lots) more of that type of gameplay.

NULLED: Cities in Motion I + DLC. I have the sequel, so I won't be playing this, even though I've heard the two CiM games are quite different.

PLAYED: Disciples II: Rise of the Elves Gold. I think it's the poor optimization that puts me off D II and its expansions. D I had much smoother battle animations, map scrolling, and screen transitions. Didn't finish this one.

COMPLETED: Dead Effect. It says something about this game that I rage-uninstalled it no less that 5 times and still found it weirdly compelling enough to see it through to the end. It's a sci-fi FPS with light RPG elements and zombies, and its' budget was limited to whatever coins the dev team could find under their sofa cushions. Despite the cliched premise and no budget, it's not shovelware by anyone's standards; the developers clearly loved their work and cared about making a good game. Recommended if you think you'd like a largely mindless zombie shooter, but don't try for the achievements. This game has absolutely maddeningly difficult ones.

COMPLETED: OH! RPG! They took an interesting premise: "What would happen if the heroes of a JRPG lost to the final boss?" They proceeded to waste that interesting idea in making an utterly generic RPGMaker game. Don't bother with this one.

COMPLETED: Total War: Rome I. If you play something for 268 hours, finish 6 campaigns and still want to play the expansions, how much can you really criticize it? The Total War games have a recurring problem of the late-game being a boring slog of crushing enemies who have no hope of defeating you, and Rome I has this issue far worse than the previous games Shogun I and Medieval I. There's a bandit and pirate spawning mechanic that is mostly just pointless busywork.There are a lot of things that piss me off about this game, but any criticism I make is kinda nitpicking. 268 hours. Game is good.

COMPLETED: Total War: Rome I: Extended Realism (mod). Two of the 6 campaigns mentioned above were played in the Extended Realism mod; the best of the big general improvement mods for Rome I. While this mod does provide many improvements to the vanilla game, my complaint is that ExRM is simply too much game. The map is extended eastward to the Indus River, and there's a bunch of new provinces in the old parts of the map., which really amplifies the "late-game slog" problem. This mod is for people who want to spend 50+ hours on a single campaign.

COMPLETED: The Ultimate DOOM. It's loving Doom, what can I really say here? I've never actually finished it before now, and while the quality of level design is a bit inconsistent, it's still Doom. It's just as excellent now as it was when it was released 23 years ago. I recommend getting the Chocolate Doom source port for maximum old-school.

COMPLETED: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night E3 Demo. A short little teaser for Kickstarter backers. I can't wait for the full game.

"COMPLETED": Devil Daggers. It doesn't have a win condition, but I got my fun out of it. My best time was 3 min 7 sec, which was a total stroke of luck I'll never be able to repeat.

PLAYED: Kingdom. A side-scrolling strategy game is something I've never seen before. Kingdom, sadly, is a poor implementation of a very exciting innovation. Its biggest problem: The game does that "work during the day, hide from monsters at night" thing, but the map is so wide and your character so slow (even with upgrades) that in the mid to late game it takes an entire in-game day to get anywhere. There's a fast travel system, but you have to walk to a portal to use it, which makes it near-useless. Kingdom is a ultimately a tragic waste of potential, and I chose not to finish it.

PLAYED: Overwatch. I don't like multiplayer games normally, but this one? Oh gently caress yes. It's just pure delight, polished to perfection. There are so many different characters with different abilities, it's easy to find one that matches your preferred style of gameplay. Some of the character's playstyles are surprises though: I've ended up maining Mercy, and I have no idea how that happened. Fantastic. Play it.

COMPLETED: Total War: Rome I: Barbarian Invasion. I preferred this to the main game, because of the reduced province count and the religion mechanics. I recommend playing as one of the Roman factions, especially the Western Roman Empire. The challenge of holding together a huge but dying empire is very different to anything else in the series. By contrast, playing the other factions are just the usual Total War "build an empire from nothing" gameplay.

COMPLETED: Total War: Rome I: Alexander. A bit of an oddball, short and bittersweet. The campaign is somewhat bland; the real star of the show in this expansion are the historical battles, with narration by BRIAN BLESSED.

Next up: Dawn of War I. Now that I finally own a legitimate copy, I guess I'll finish it again. Also, more Overwatch. If anyone reads this far, which ARPG would you recommend: Titan Quest or Van Helsing: Final Cut?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Still playing The Witcher 3, which is very likely going to end up in my all-time top-10. Buying Blood and Wine when I’m back at it and it’ll add yet more to this massive game. Up to about 90 hours already.

I took a break for a while to play more Kerbal Space Program, taking me to more than 220 hours on that one, doing more interesting stuff on other planets now.
The Witcher patch broke the one mod I use temporarily so I went on the hunt to beat a few more games.

BEAT: Assassins Creed Syndicate
I was a bit bored of the series by the time I finished 3, 4 was a nice change and the Unity clusterfuck meant I really wasn’t bothered about picking up another but I got this bundled with my graphics card and I’m delighted I did since it’s a great entry that really brings back to mind the high spots of the Ezio games. Likeable enough protagonists, enjoyably silly Forrest Gump elements, some dumb optional requirements, brilliant unique kills and a gorgeous city mean it’s a very good Assassins Creed game. It and any future entries will never get the praise of 2 and Brotherhood because it’s hard to surprise anyone but it’s up there with the best of the series. Wouldn’t mind seeing the Fryes again, which is something I never said about Connor or Edward. I have beat the story but I want to polish off the last 3% sync and do all the Dreadful Crimes mysteries, which are great. Assassins Creed is the last place I thought I’d find murder mysteries where you have to think hard to find the killer and you can get it wrong. Really good addition. Although they need to push the present-day stuff or drop it. I like it and I’m unsatisfied by cameo appearances.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014. Actually learned how to play this and it’s really good! Won the World Cup with Belgium on the 4th difficulty level of 6 so stepping it up soon.

Crusader Kings 2. Love this game. Started a game in Shattered World (the world is broken up so every tiny county is an independent state at the start) where I aim to become British Emperor and never expand further, trying to influence from afar instead. It’s going well and I’ve made Hartlepool of all places a merchant republic, like Venice. There’s a new DLC focusing on getting sick and dying and looking after your land which sounds great for a game like mine focusing on people rather than conquest so I hope it’s savegame compatible. Also, adding random hordes is great fun, Asturias have just received one, which is a bit close for my liking. They’re a major force, along with England, Brabant, Germany and Hungary. Ratanpur, an Indian empire and Mecca were strong early on but fell apart.

BOUGHT: Factorio I meant to have this as a laptop game but I really don’t have the chance to game on my laptop enough to justify it so I’m moving it to my PC because it’s great. Really satisfying, never lets you rest on what you have and head-wrecking when it gets complex.

BEAT: Tomb Raider Mod: The Calm Before the Storm. I had a lot of fun with this mod, I just went to trle.net and picked one out of the hall of fame and got this. I had to resort to the walkthrough a lot at first but in the end I managed to figure out a lot of stuff on my own and had a good time with it. They’re all .exes that work without the original game so if you fancy some old TR-style gameplay, you could do worse.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

EightDeer posted:

If anyone reads this far, which ARPG would you recommend: Titan Quest or Van Helsing: Final Cut?

Van Helsing is more "linear" (has levels), but has controller support, and has no real leveling to speak of. It is more about what weapon type you want to use.

Titan Quest is a great traditional ARPG that has a strange amount of (IMO) passive abilities. Still, it is a fun game.

Personally, Id probably recommend Titan Quest, but Ive beaten both so just play one before the other.

Walton Simons posted:

Still playing The Witcher 3, which is very likely going to end up in my all-time top-10. Buying Blood and Wine when I’m back at it and it’ll add yet more to this massive game. Up to about 90 hours already.

So good, yeah? Im playing on ps4 so I have no real idea how long ive played. The game timer was broken, but seems to be fixed now. Problem is, it resets when you do game plus. Im going through the game on game+ and havent even done the dlcs. Game is probably top 10 games of all time for me too.

strategery fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 15, 2016

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I started timing my gaming because I was so frustrated with game timers only counting successful runs or still going when the game is paused and so on (and I'm a massive loser). 90 hours 59 minutes without finishing the main quest or touching the DLCs other than the very start of Hearts of Stone :shepface: I'll probably jump back on it once I'm done with Assassins Creed, such a good game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

strategery posted:

Van Helsing is more "linear" (has levels), but has controller support, and has no real leveling to speak of. It is more about what weapon type you want to use.

You're confusing Van Helsing with Victor Vran. (Not that I blame you.)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 15, 2016

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

You're confusing Van Helsing with Victor Vran. (Not that I blame you.)

Ah well poo poo. If you are choosing Van Helsing, then play the 2nd or 3rd one. Ive only played the 1st two. 1st has some major issues. 2nd is better.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: The Darkness Within 2 - Compared to the first game, this one was okay and better in some ways but the puzzle logic took a nosedive.

BEATEN: DOOM 3 - You know... it's true that DOOM 3 went more for the "arcadey system shock" route than a true DOOM sequel, but this game is alright. I played the vanilla version and of course had to crank up the gamma on my cintiq, but I enjoyed my time with it. It DOES run too long though.

BEATEN: The Descendant Episode 1 - Telltale-style game from a small studio about caretakers of a post apocalyptic bunker. It was alright, can't REALLY judge until all 5 episodes are out.

BEATEN: The Music Machine - Two-tone walking sim where you roam around seeing weird things while characters talk (no spoken dialogue just text). It was billed as a murder mystery but nope, no it was not. I didn't really care for this one, also... so the premise is this girl is possessed by this ghost of someone she ended up getting killed. And okay that's fine. But they have really uncomfortable moments where while you're just traipsing around weird surreal walking sim worlds the girl will say something like "hey do you think I'm attractive" to the ghost who tells her to knock it off and, well, the girl is 13 and the ghost is in his 30s so like. uhhhhhhhh. can we not??? i just want to walking sim around some weird surreal worlds clicking on stuff.

BEATEN: Section 8 Prejudice - Silly dumb fun halo-like shooter. Campaign seemed to be largely patterned after the multiplayer, at least that's what I took from it.

ADDED: Cargo Commander

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
Beaten: Star Craft 2 Legacy of the Void

Beaten: Ghostbusters: The Video Game (2009)

LotV was cheesy, but I loved it. Ghostbusters was clunky and felt rushed, but as a fan I was hooked enough to finish it.

I'm probably going to play Hitman Absolution next.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Tsioc posted:

Beaten: Ghostbusters: The Video Game (2009)[/B]

I hear "Ghostbusters: The Video Game" and I still only think of one thing:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Whispering Willows - Side-scrolling adventure/story game where you explore a mansion looking for your dad. You have the ability to project yourself to the astral plane and communicate with ghosts and possess certain items. It feels like the game wanted to be a lot more but had to cut itself down. You end up only freeing the souls of a couple of ghosts and there are a lot more hanging around the mansion.

BEATEN: Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death - After a moody game the best thing to play after is... JUDGE DREDD gently caress yeah. Goofy as gently caress OG Xbox-era shooter by Rebellion (Sniper Elite series) where you can arrest anyone because YOU ARE THE LAW. Something I didn't get too much into but is a neat touch is that any weapon you pick up comes with multiple ammo types for various situations. Makes up a little for the fact that you can only have two weapons at a time (which is common now but for a game made back then must have been maddening).

BEATEN: Pony Island - Like an entire game built off the kind of meta stuff you got in the first two MGS games. There are a couple of moments that legit trolled me.

Should have another couple entries tomorrow..

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN: Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death - After a moody game the best thing to play after is... JUDGE DREDD gently caress yeah. Goofy as gently caress OG Xbox-era shooter by Rebellion (Sniper Elite series) where you can arrest anyone because YOU ARE THE LAW. Something I didn't get too much into but is a neat touch is that any weapon you pick up comes with multiple ammo types for various situations. Makes up a little for the fact that you can only have two weapons at a time (which is common now but for a game made back then must have been maddening).

Halo was an XBox launch title and the game that popularized the two-weapon limit and it's burning in hell right now because of it. DvD came out two years later and was probably just jumping on that bandwagon.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There were a few games that experimented with multiple ammo types instead of multiple guns. Republic Commando had a handful of weapons but also the badass DC-17m Interchangeable Weapon System which was machine gun, sniper rifle, and launcher all in one. And my favorite video game weapon was in Stranger's Wrath where you're collecting live ammunition like angry hornets and armored slugs. Also by Rebellion there's Rogue Trooper (another 2000ad property like Judge Dredd) where you have a single rifle that turns into a sentry gun, rocket launcher, rail cannon, and so on.

I kind of miss this. I like iconic guns with multiple ammo over a huge armory. Last game I remember with this was Rage and that was neat if unremarkable.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Hard Reset had two guns with one ammo type each but five distinct firing modes each with their own alt-fire. Not a terrible system and at the time the transformations looked really rad.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

al-azad posted:

live ammunition... angry hornets...armored slugs.

I've been on a hiatus from both buying and playing video games lately but I need to quote this just to marvel at how the outer two phrases quoted are changed so dramatically by the one in the middle. :D

Maybe I can spare the time and brainpower to finish off The Witness this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Another two...

BEATEN: Fearless Fantasy - Battle-only JRPG with combat that could best be described as a non-musical Elite Beat Agents. Every attack has its own unique sequence of gestures you have to time correctly in order to succeed with the hit (success), do extra damage (epic), or do super bonus damage (flawless). Defense against enemies works the same way, with the possibility of avoiding any attack if you're perfect. It's a fun game, but what the heck is with the cutscenes? The art of the game itself is kinda weird and cool (particularly the bestiary) but the cutscenes look like they were rushed out in a week by some Newgrounds artist.

BEATEN: Magnetic Cage Closed - Portal knockoff with a magnet gun. Perfectly competent, and probably better in its puzzle design than its competitor Magrunner, but neither really holds a candle to the actual Portal.