Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I will say I like Olivetti's brick shithouse Frank Castle. He just looks like an angry block of muscle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

RandallODim posted:

I will say I like Olivetti's brick shithouse Frank Castle. He just looks like an angry block of muscle.

He draws everyone like that. In a storyline featuring Cable and Stryfe I was confused because he drew Elixir as ALSO looking like them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

catlord posted:

I have to see this. I didn't see anything just searching his name and Quake, which comics would these be?

It's from the Fraction written Punisher War Journal series that gave us the very popular "gun that shoots swords" page. I don't recall the exact issue though.

DarkCrawler posted:

How is this person professionally employed :stare:

The same reason Greg Land gets work. They can churn out pages faster than almost any other artist.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

Endless Mike posted:

Yes. That's her dad.

Does that mean her name is "Paige Turner"? Bleh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Moacher posted:

Does that mean her name is "Paige Turner"? Bleh.

It does and I didn't notice that and now I'm angry. Thanks for ruining a good and cool comic for me, jerk.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

Endless Mike posted:

It does and I didn't notice that and now I'm angry. Thanks for ruining a good and cool comic for me, jerk.

Maybe that's what her dad got arrested for?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think probably a lot of artists and illustrators swiped/traced references as far back as the advent of photography.

I majored in Illustration at UA in Philadelphia and one of the first things they taught us to was to build a reference file. Like most artists, I felt it was "cheating" to look at a picture before I realized every professional did that. So, for the longest time, I had a bunch of flat bed style boxes and manilla folders of stuff i'd gathered from magazines, all categorized and labeled by subject and what not.

I would swipe magazines from doctors offices and from trash bins off the side of the road to build my files. It helped me immeasurably. Eventually, I started experimenting with collage and mixed media. A lot of colleagues saw it as cheating and I'm still not certain where the line is drawn, no pun intended, but the way I looked at it was "I am using GARBAGE to create art". I had literally found most of my photographic reference in the trash.

It's a little like sampling and hip hop. You can sample like Terminator X, Tricky, Eric B and Rakim or the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique and really create something unique out of it or you can just flat steal something like MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice and call it a new song.

I'm pretty sure a lot of artists have always "traced". You still have to know how to draw to do it effectively though and the biggest difference now is you can just Google an image so everyone is working from the same sources. That's why, like Alex Ross, I always try to take my own photos and work from those. Even back when I relied on my reference library, I reached a point where I no longer used National Geographic or Time because they were too well known.

I still have that reference library, believe it or not, and have begun assembling them into ideas for collages and paintings just to use them up and have something to show for them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody is faulting artists for using reference, it's when you can find the exact image Greg Land traced with a quick Google search (especially when it leads to a character's hair changing in literally every panel on a page) or when Olivetti is using Quake screenshots for backgrounds that there's an issue.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

BiggerBoat posted:

I think probably a lot of artists and illustrators swiped/traced references as far back as the advent of photography.

I majored in Illustration at UA in Philadelphia and one of the first things they taught us to was to build a reference file. Like most artists, I felt it was "cheating" to look at a picture before I realized every professional did that. So, for the longest time, I had a bunch of flat bed style boxes and manilla folders of stuff i'd gathered from magazines, all categorized and labeled by subject and what not.

I would swipe magazines from doctors offices and from trash bins off the side of the road to build my files. It helped me immeasurably. Eventually, I started experimenting with collage and mixed media. A lot of colleagues saw it as cheating and I'm still not certain where the line is drawn, no pun intended, but the way I looked at it was "I am using GARBAGE to create art". I had literally found most of my photographic reference in the trash.

It's a little like sampling and hip hop. You can sample like Terminator X, Tricky, Eric B and Rakim or the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique and really create something unique out of it or you can just flat steal something like MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice and call it a new song.

I'm pretty sure a lot of artists have always "traced". You still have to know how to draw to do it effectively though and the biggest difference now is you can just Google an image so everyone is working from the same sources. That's why, like Alex Ross, I always try to take my own photos and work from those. Even back when I relied on my reference library, I reached a point where I no longer used National Geographic or Time because they were too well known.

I still have that reference library, believe it or not, and have begun assembling them into ideas for collages and paintings just to use them up and have something to show for them.

I threw out my morgue file years ago simply because of the internet. I can google a building or an animal or whatever. for reference so no longer needed the physical media taking up space.

But like Endless Mike said, big difference between using photo reference and flat out tracing and stealing.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah uh no one has a problem with looking at a picture. Tracing or literally using a photo of grass as the background is the issue.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ferrule posted:

I threw out my morgue file years ago simply because of the internet. I can google a building or an animal or whatever. for reference so no longer needed the physical media taking up space.

But like Endless Mike said, big difference between using photo reference and flat out tracing and stealing.

Agreed but I've found that you still have to know how to DRAW to even trace effectively. Maybe that's the difference in the artists we're discussing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Honestly even using a lovely photoshop filter to make it at least appear drawn would be an improvement. Nobody has a problem with artists using references, or even tracing as long as you make an effort to fit it in with the rest of the art.

That's the big problem with guys like Olivetti and Land: it just looks bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Alex Maleev uses a lot of photo reference in his work. A good deal of his NYC skylines in Daredevil are photo-traced. The difference is, he want and took every single one of those pictures himself.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I mean

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JoshTheStampede posted:

He draws everyone like that. In a storyline featuring Cable and Stryfe I was confused because he drew Elixir as ALSO looking like them.

Olivetti's work wasn't too bad when he did the two part "The Last Avengers Story". I guess with modern computers it is just easier to trace

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Darick Robertson and Alex Ross use heavy photo references, but the thing is that they usually take the photos themselves to get the poses right, then base their drawings on those photos. Which is why their art doesn't look like awkward out of place poser bullshit, and the references can't be found with a 10 second google search.

It's probably also why Ross' spandex men tend to have aggressive bulges.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

Darick Robertson and Alex Ross use heavy photo references, but the thing is that they usually take the photos themselves to get the poses right, then base their drawings on those photos. Which is why their art doesn't look like awkward out of place poser bullshit, and the references can't be found with a 10 second google search.

While I find his work a bit static, I've always appreciated that Ross is one of very few artists who makes superhero outfits look like actual clothing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lurdiak posted:

Add Tony Harris to that list.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jedit posted:

Add Tony Harris to that list.

Tony Harris is not really a positive example, his interior art suffers because of bad "acting" of his models.
Maleev always looks better thanks to extensive inking and great use of contrast in colors.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

E: Nvm got names confused again.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
The type of reference an artist uses is interesting. I met a painter in college who made a foamcore model of a skyscraper with printouts of the building to get the lighting right. Disney had a whole bookcase of National Geographics for The Jungle Book. And Norman Rockwell's photography is almost as cool as his paintings.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Seeing people praise Rockwell here, and poo poo on other people who trace is kinda funny. Not saying his work wasn't fantastic.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
David Petersen, the Mouse Guard guy, builds architectural models to keep spatial continuity. Here are the blog posts where he shows them off: http://davidpetersen.blogspot.com/search/label/Model

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

General Ironicus posted:

David Petersen, the Mouse Guard guy, builds architectural models to keep spatial continuity. Here are the blog posts where he shows them off: http://davidpetersen.blogspot.com/search/label/Model

That is very :cool:. Thanks for the link. :tipshat:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

General Ironicus posted:

Wow these are great. Small scale architecture is something I wish I was good at.

Thankfully there's Lego for talentless folks like me!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chaos Hippy posted:

While I find his work a bit static, I've always appreciated that Ross is one of very few artists who makes superhero outfits look like actual clothing.

I don't particularly love Ross due to it seeming really static, but yeah, I do love how he draws costumes.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Kinda tangential, but if you dig small scale architecture, I recommend the 60s era Toho fantasy/disaster/monster/war flicks. It's easy to look at mondern stuff like Power Rangers and think the buildings all looked as generic, but Eiji Tsubaraya's special effects work when he had film budgets put incredible levels of details in the miniatures. There's a story where he got in trouble with the US Military because they thought he did illegal flyovers of a carrier for film footage...until he showed them the realistic 8 foot model he made for the shot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
For places like NYC I dunno how you could draw without reference photos unless you live there and/or know it really well just cuz it's so recognizable and Manhattan definitely has its own look compared to the surrounding boroughs and it'd look pretty weird if you make poo poo up and get everything wrong.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

zoux posted:

The moment I realized Olivetti sucked.

It pains me to see that Punisher sword gun page get posted because of all the people unwittingly praising Olivetti's art.

:captainpop:

Endless Mike posted:

I don't particularly love Ross due to it seeming really static, but yeah, I do love how he draws costumes.

I like him on covers tons more than on interior work - especially for Astro City. This is why I really can't stand Kingdom Come. I mean, beyond the writing. Marvels I think is written well, but I can't look at it either.

I think some artists get the message "If my art is 'realistic' and painted, then people will praise me to the heavens!" from Ross's success, though. However, there are painterly comics artists who I think do a way better job than him, and still manage to have their art look like comics instead of a bad imitation of a Saturday Evening Post special edition. When I have some time I'll post some examples.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 14, 2016

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Since some of you mentioned Alex Ross, I thought I'd ask this. I love his art, but he does that thing that Bruce Timm does where every male face is an identical 1940s-50s square-jawed manly man. I know part of this is because when you're working with superheroes, you want to make them exaggeratedly ideal artistically, and I'm sure someone can point to all the Grecian statues and DaVinci's treatises on proportions, but is there a comic book artist who aims for realism in the sense that every character looks like themselves and no one else? Maybe I'm just mad because I was a deprived child who remembers having to identify all the female X-Men by costumes first and hair color second, but let's no go into that because this thread has given those dead horse more attention than they deserve.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Alvarez IV posted:

Since some of you mentioned Alex Ross, I thought I'd ask this. I love his art, but he does that thing that Bruce Timm does where every male face is an identical 1940s-50s square-jawed manly man. I know part of this is because when you're working with superheroes, you want to make them exaggeratedly ideal artistically, and I'm sure someone can point to all the Grecian statues and DaVinci's treatises on proportions, but is there a comic book artist who aims for realism in the sense that every character looks like themselves and no one else? Maybe I'm just mad because I was a deprived child who remembers having to identify all the female X-Men by costumes first and hair color second, but let's no go into that because this thread has given those dead horse more attention than they deserve.

If I recall correctly, Ross uses models for photo reference. It's likely that hiring enough models to provide a variety of faces would strain even a superstar artist's budget.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't even think he hires models so much as gets his friends and family to pose for him. He mentions in this interview that he used his coworkers.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
That, and some heroes have faces modeled after stuff from that period for him as well. Supes is based on the Fleischer version, and Captain Marvel is Fred Macmurray, iirc

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I don't even think he hires models so much as gets his friends and family to pose for him. He mentions in this interview that he used his coworkers.

Yeah, isn't one of his Joker and Harley Quinn paintings just very obviously him and his wife? Or maybe I'm thinking of a different famous DC couple he drew.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, isn't one of his Joker and Harley Quinn paintings just very obviously him and his wife? Or maybe I'm thinking of a different famous DC couple he drew.

Haven't seen the painting you're talking about but the old man in Kingdom Come is his dad so I wouldn't be surprised.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

A few of his books have articles and photos that show his process. In fact, I think his hardcover collection goes into this a lot. I love reading that stuff too; watching a piece from inception to finish.

Alex Ross is really good and I enjoy his work but he's had that "all his art looks the same" element for a long time now and hasn't really evolved. He overuses dramatic lighting all the time and his storytelling composition is not great/pretty bad and he can't paint fire or chrome for poo poo, so his Human Torch and Silver Surfer look terrible.

I think he suffers from the normal backlash and blowback of being so popular for so long that he's no longer cool, but his impact is undeniable and the way you felt when you first saw his stuff was amazingly fresh and head turning.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 15, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lightning Lord posted:

:captainpop:

I like him on covers tons more than on interior work - especially for Astro City. This is why I really can't stand Kingdom Come. I mean, beyond the writing. Marvels I think is written well, but I can't look at it either.

I think some artists get the message "If my art is 'realistic' and painted, then people will praise me to the heavens!" from Ross's success, though. However, there are painterly comics artists who I think do a way better job than him, and still manage to have their art look like comics instead of a bad imitation of a Saturday Evening Post special edition. When I have some time I'll post some examples.

That second cover looks like it was made using unused models from Beast Wars

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Is that Dum Dum Dugan with a camo metal bowler hat?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

hup posted:

Is that Dum Dum Dugan with a camo metal bowler hat?

Yes it is.

U.S. War Machine was actually not terrible. I mean, it looked terrible and the lettering was terrible and the writing was so '90s it hurt... okay, it actually was pretty terrible. But it wasn't Chuck Austen terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

For like the 5 children left on SA who don't know, "Chuck Austen Terrible" is absolutely the right descriptor. His nadir is what bad writing dreams about becoming when it lies in bed at night. It's not "so bad it's infamous" writing that is "too rare to live and too weird to die" like Tommy Wiseau's "The Room" or that Stardust comic from the 30s. No it's the writing equivalent of Freddy Kruger where the community collectively agrees to have its name burnt from the record and buried too deep for anyone to find it, save for backyard whispers in dusty corners of forgotten internet forums. It is the kind-of writing where the line between incompetence and deliberate malice for the reader is so blurred it would make David Goyer and Zack Snyder applaud with vicious envy. It is the kind of mind where this:

is on the higher end of quality.

You ever want to badmouth Bendis or even Mark Millar? There is so much further to fall. So much further.