Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Now I feel vindicated about my comment on elgarbo's photo.

You'll get a strong red/green tint on Ektar if it's overexposed, or shooting a very bright scene. You should treat it like slide rather than negative film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.

_DSC6035.jpg by Tom Alberi, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Spedman posted:

Now I feel vindicated about my comment on elgarbo's photo.

Yeah, I agree with your comment. Looking back, the original edit was way too magenta.

Anyway, carry on.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I'm really bummed at the way some of these scans came back. Like MrBland pointed out, some of this is really really freaking noisy, especially the asphalt areas . I tried messing with it in post, but ended up going back to the originals with slight color adjustments. Is this due from the low rez scans, the type of film I'm using, or some other factor? Looking at the negatives with a magnifying glass, everything looks nice and smooth. I still think they are cool pictures (in my lovely opinion), but would be much cooler without those noiseblur areas.

Alley by Eli J, on Flickr

Red Door by Eli J, on Flickr

Blue Door by Eli J, on Flickr

Edit: Look at these two, it's freaking awful. :(

Typewriters by Eli J, on Flickr

Drain by Eli J, on Flickr

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 14, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol that almost looks like a tilt shift effect in the first one. don't they offer better quality scans? just get them scanned again with higher quality and see if it looks the same. or get your own scanner.

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 14, 2016

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Karl Barks posted:

lol that almost looks like a tilt shift effect in the first one. don't they offer better quality scans? just get them scanned again with higher quality and see if it looks the same.

I sent them to the darkroom.com, so I'd have to send the negatives back in, right? I should just break down and buy a scanner and be done with it.

Edit: man, it does look like tilt shift now that you said that. :arghfist:

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 14, 2016

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

The reflection looks in focus, are you sure you weren't just shooting with a really large aperture and the close stuff is just out of focus?

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I don't think I was wide open, but I can't remember honestly. It was early in the morning, wet, and humid, I do remember that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

a scanners a good investment either way. v500 (or whatever the new hotness is) should be fairly cheap.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Randoms

IMG_0631 by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_0406 by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_0856 by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_0790 by Hannah, on Flickr

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Bovine Bureaucracy by Nate Pritchard, on Flickr

In a perfect world I would have been able to get a better angle on the cow, but I didn't bring a ladder to my meeting yesterday.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Xabi fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 14, 2016

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Illawong by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Suspicious menu by Spookygonk, on Flickr

half-half by Spookygonk, on Flickr

Waitin' for wheels by Spookygonk, on Flickr

33,34,35,36 by Spookygonk, on Flickr

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 14, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Duomo di Milano by alkanphel, on Flickr

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Danger - Love Note by Eli J, on Flickr

Vault Alarm by Eli J, on Flickr

Bicycling Trash by Eli J, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Admiral by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Untitled by Phillip Chicola, on Flickr

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mt Ainslie. Snow Day.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Kommando posted:

Mt Ainslie. Snow Day.

Back off on the processing, the bottom half of the photo looks like all the sliders are at 11.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Dread Head posted:

Back off on the processing, the bottom half of the photo looks like all the sliders are at 11.

Wait. Am I doing this wrong?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
curious as to why you opted for hdr on that first photo at all

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Oh... down... right.
(this is a single frame from LR)

I'm always amazed at the quality of work published in this thread. Sorry, I shouldn't be antagonistic over some comment. I'm still learning how to HDR.

Snow.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 15, 2016

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Geektox posted:

curious as to why you opted for hdr on that first photo at all

Because I have no experience shooting snow, I've live in Australia and its an extreme rarity. So I bracketed a ton of shots. Also the texture on the rocks was gorgeous and vivid and I wanted to make it pop a little.
Since I had the bracketed shots I took the opportunity to do some more HDR process learning. Cranked it a little too hard I guess, but it pops and the peeps on fb seem to like Ratcliff-like overblown garbage.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Kommando posted:

Because I have no experience shooting snow, I've live in Australia and its an extreme rarity. So I bracketed a ton of shots. Also the texture on the rocks was gorgeous and vivid and I wanted to make it pop a little.
Since I had the bracketed shots I took the opportunity to do some more HDR process learning. Cranked it a little too hard I guess, but it pops and the peeps on fb seem to like Ratcliff-like overblown garbage.

The thing is though, if you already are acknowledging it as "overblown garbage" then what and for whom are you even shooting for?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Geektox posted:

The thing is though, if you already are acknowledging it as "overblown garbage" then what and for whom are you even shooting for?

A less tired and bitter me.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I wouldn't call snow extreme rarity, it happens every winter in the mountains of Vic/Tas/NSW, to the point of snow/skiing reports on the news every night.

But metering for it takes a little getting used to so you don't blow it out.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Spedman posted:

I wouldn't call snow extreme rarity, it happens every winter in the mountains of Vic/Tas/NSW, to the point of snow/skiing reports on the news every night.

But metering for it takes a little getting used to so you don't blow it out.

To be fair, he's from north of Brisbane.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

To be fair, he's from north of Brisbane.

So he voted for Pauline Hanson?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Spedman posted:

what.
I'm from south Brisbane and moved to Canberra.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kommando posted:

what.
I'm from south Brisbane and moved to Canberra.

So now I really don't get how you think snow is rare. Anyway.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Spedman posted:

So now I really don't get how you think snow is rare. Anyway.
Ok, its not rare. You're right, I'm wrong.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Spedman posted:

My parents voted her in with all the minor parties as a protest vote against the major 2. Im halfway to the nsw border too.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

My parents voted her in with all the minor parties as a protest vote against the major 2. Im halfway to the nsw border too.

Secede from your family and move south, away from the crazies

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Good to see the evening Auscrew making GBS threads up the Landscape thread again.

/shitpost

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

King Dragon Buffet by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Fight! Fight! Fight!