Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is best in life?
This poll is closed.
Idols 44 15.22%
Baps 77 26.64%
Robots 72 24.91%
3d 38 13.15%
Touhous 58 20.07%
Total: 289 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

littleorv posted:

If one more white person tells me that that their great grandmother was an Indian princess I'm going to loving scream

i'm going to make you my indian prince

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

My grandma used to brag about the cherokee blood pumping in our veins but my dna test said I was all white. 50% Western European, 50% Eastern.

Guess the cherokee blood got lost somewhere along the way. :shrug:

dont worry, everyone says they're part cherokee. theyre not.

and here's the thing about native americans: we didn't have different tribes so we could hold hands and smoke weed categorically. a button of american animal species died off because of us. and nowhere in anyone's oral history did the Great Spirit tell us to plant two trees for every one we cut down

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

What's so bad about Paris?

I hate the architecture (it's all lovely creaky 19th century apartment buildings with poor insulation, narrow staircases and no lift) and way-too-broad Haussmanian roads, the people (Parisians have a well-earned reputation for being assholes), the general griminess and grottiness of everything that isn't the tourist districts, the rush hour public transport crush which is worse than London's, the dismal state of the Métro and it's 40 year old stock outside of like, two lines in the dead centre, the fact that everything smells of urine, and everything about the French attitude to things that are not French.

e; also, not Paris' fault but if I move back I'll a) have no one I know locally and no desire to get back in touch with highschool acquaintances and b) be forced to spend time with family since they live nearby and I've been living in the UK for 10 years.

e2; don't get me wrong, it's not all bad, places like le Marais or the Champs are nice enough to be in when not flooded with tourists, but everything that isn't the really expensive areas (whether intramuros or in the suburbs) loving sucks, and there's no way I would make enough to live anywhere nice.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 14, 2016

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

i'm going to make you my indian prince

Oh my...

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

russian is another language i'd like to learn

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
It's kinda funny how Americans will go to a French restaurant and badly pronounce their order after the waiter demands them to order in French without any complaint. Imagine what would happen if a Mexican restaurant did that?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Chat Thread 15: Every Language is Bad

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the atelier girls are all so fucuking cute

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also, I just realized there is no "Anime" in the chat thread title. Droyer has deceived us all!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Julias posted:

Also, I just realized there is no "Anime" in the chat thread title. Droyer has deceived us all!

also he spelled it thead

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
glasses guy in Cheer Boys is killing me, he's such a dork and it's adorable

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMezdaGfopY

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Julias posted:

whoops

Cake Attack posted:

also he spelled it thead

WHOOPS

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

jesus loving christ

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

how did it take 50 pages for anyone to notice that, the title even got changed at one point lmao

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I hope you get plenty of rest Voltcatfish for you bus commutes early in the morning. ;)

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
Shame on you for spelling it wrong.
shame on everyone else (including me) for taking two days to notice.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cowwan posted:

Shame on you for spelling it wrong.
shame on everyone else (including me) for taking two days to notice.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

My Highschool only taught Spanish despite like 90% percent of the students being Hispanic. I think this is still the case nearly 10 years later.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Simulacra posted:

My Highschool only taught Spanish despite like 90% percent of the students being Hispanic. I think this is still the case nearly 10 years later.

that makes sense because even though you speak it colloquially it doesn't mean you know Da Rules. like english.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Simulacra posted:

Every Spanish class I had always had that one smug latin kid.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I really like the touch of the lightning under the skirt.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

In my defense english isn't my first language. That isn't actually relevant, but still.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Sorry Corals posted:

that makes sense because even though you speak it colloquially it doesn't mean you know Da Rules. like english.

I guess it does. It really annoyed me though as someone who wanted to pick up a third language

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sorry Corals posted:

Gotta know the rules of english so that you know all the rules of english that english breaks. That's why it is supposedly one of the most difficult languages to learn.

Also, middle class cishet white male of western European descent reporting. I speak god's own language, American, though took 4 years of German in high school.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Am I the only person who had a cool Spanish teacher? Spanish 1 and 2 were easy and the standard fare. But 3 and 4 we had a really smart and funny lady who didn't tolerate bullshit, and we talked about all sorts of South American Countries, their history and culture, and even a bit about Spain. It helped that, while a native English speaker, she was completely fluent in Spanish and lived and studied in Spain for a period of time. She actually might have been my favorite high school teacher, thinking back on it. She was one of the few teachers I could think of who really cared about the students, and had asked me if I was doing okay when my family was going through rough times.

By now she would be retired though, so I hope she's happy :unsmith:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The language teacher at my high school quit right before my class was suppose to start taking our foreign language course. Up til that point, the guy would alternate French and Spanish and whichever one you got was just the luck of what year you happened to hit his class. He was also a huge dick who would verbally abuse female students and I think the school finally chased him off but let him quit instead of being fired. It took almost an entire year to find a replacement though, so my class got screwed over and had the non-certified PE teacher/baseball coach as a sub along with a revolving door of teachers who stayed for a few weeks then quit for better schools. The one who finally stayed was originally from Georgia and had the strongest southern accent I have ever heard (as a person born and raised in the south). She was a pretty good teacher compared to what we'd had previously and I did manage to learn a little Spanish that I kinda still remember but the main thing I remember was her teaching us the "y'all" and "y'all formal" pronouns.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
At least y'all remember them. Right? :crossarms:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I had a nice Spanish teacher. She could get a little hard to understand sometimes, but it was always fun going to her class. Very friendly.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
To be honest, I've forgotten a ton of Spanish because I haven't used it in 5 years, but I could probably pick right back up to where I left off given 6 months to a year of rigorous study to rejog a lot of my stowaway memories.

Thankfully I will never forget the irregular tú commands, as I made a jingle out of them:

di, haz, ve, ~
pon, sal, se, ~
ten, ven.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

But now you can go to Japan and impress everyone with your cool and suave French.

This has come up a few times before, but every time it does people don't provide examples. :argh:

lets see it's way more manga than anime, if any anime at all really. also there was a few things that I was gonna mention but they are actually in italian and not french and it is mostly sports stuff from the late 60s early 70s like star of the giants, tiger mask, aim for the ace(the anime doesn't cover everything), and attack no.1. lucky bastards also got violence jack

anyway some stuff that is translated is stuff like rokudenashi blues, kiichi!!, heat, yokoyama mitsuteru's water margin and babel 2. thats all I can think of off the top of my head. there is definitely more. manga is big over there. so there is definitely a lot more good poo poo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

whose watching evo this weekend

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Julias posted:

At least y'all remember them. Right? :crossarms:

That's not how "y'all" works :mad:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the battleship mikasa is not the most visually interesting dungeon in shadow hearts 2

it doesn't help that the enemies here have very long attack animations

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

my southern relatives like to say y'all a lot too

it's very stereotypical

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

That's not how "y'all" works :mad:

You all? As in the whole class? I lived down south for several years. Do I need to school your behind?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

voltcatfish posted:

it's very stereotypical

Just like the lazy Internet poster who doesn't use capital letters or punctuation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

My high school French teacher married one of his former students recently. Good times.

• Locked thread