Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The midrange sniper with zero escape abilities now requires Widowmaker levels of precision (per that video, anyway) to land shots, while also having to account for travel time and arc, with a payoff significantly weaker than a Widowmaker of equal ability. There's no reason to play him anymore over Widowmaker. Being able to combo with Zarya to break a Reinhardt shield (already rare enough in the first place) won't make up for this.

Ddraig posted:

McCree got buffed, Hanzo's arrow hitbox got fixed.

This is a great day. Now I won't die to a toe-shot after double-tapping Hanzo in the head from 20 meters away.

I played Hanzo a bunch and I promise you the hitboxes were never as bad as this silly hyperbole. I almost always get 25 ping though so maybe that's affected my perception.

Shrug, one fewer hero to pick from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Brannock posted:

The midrange sniper with zero escape abilities now requires Widowmaker levels of precision (per that video, anyway) to land shots, while also having to account for travel time and arc, with a payoff significantly weaker than a Widowmaker of equal ability. There's no reason to play him anymore over Widowmaker. Being able to combo with Zarya to break a Reinhardt shield (already rare enough in the first place) won't make up for this.

I played Hanzo a bunch and I promise you the hitboxes were never as bad as this silly hyperbole. I almost always get 25 ping though so maybe that's affected my perception.

Shrug, one fewer hero to pick from now.

It hasn't even gone live yet and already the Hanzo tears are starting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBlGSZqQdo0

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean, it's not like Hanzo still can't throw scatter arrows at your feet and one-shot you and intelligent use of his ult is still pretty good.

Brannock posted:

I played Hanzo a bunch and I promise you the hitboxes were never as bad as this silly hyperbole.

Having watched videos of people demonstrating the hitbox differences on the practice bots where Hanzo could nail headshots by hitting someone four virtual inches to the left of the models head I'm going to say that no, actually the headboxes were actually pretty inaccurately represented. They're still pretty generous, the video I watched showed that you could still get a headshot by just barely clipping the edge of the model's head and it would still count, you just can't hit the air above or to the side and have it count now.

edit; so we're clear I don't think that Hanzo was grossly OP or needed hardcore nerfing, but it's hard to read "headboxes actually line up with the thing you see on-screen more" as some kind of targeted nerf. If Hanzo lacks any sort of clear purpose or identity that's a problem he's sort of had since the game was released. I can't say I'm going to be heartbroken over not being randomly headshot-spammed anymore or the downturn in people slampicking Hanzo every single match, but I wouldn't be upset if they went back and, say, reduced the cooldown on Sonic Arrow.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 14, 2016

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The Hanzo players will just keep picking Hanzo, unfortunately.

If this ruins Mei's M2, I will be sad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hanzo'll probably be a bit weak after the change but having absurdly overstated hitboxes is the kind of problem you need to fix early on and then can adjust other parts of his kit to compensate for.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Hey, as long as they lose their ability to get zero effort kills then they can pick him all they want. I don't mind dying to good players, I do mind dying to someone who could't even see me and is just spamming his arrows.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Ddraig posted:

McCree got buffed, Hanzo's arrow hitbox got fixed.

This is a great day. Now I won't die to a toe-shot after double-tapping Hanzo in the head from 20 meters away.

Glad McCrees real weakness got fixed, his drop off being so quick was weird and crippling. Now I want them to replace FtH with a more consistent and better skill. Would be cool to see them move McCree towards CC rather than antiflanker, AF seems !Ike it's better executed by Roadhog, Mei, Junkrat or Symmetra. Heck even Tjorb is a better antiflanker IMHO.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ddraig posted:

Hey, as long as they lose their ability to get zero effort kills then they can pick him all they want. I don't mind dying to good players, I do mind dying to someone who could't even see me and is just spamming his arrows.

That's still going to happen, because the problem there is from the travel time on the projectile.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FaustianQ posted:

Glad McCrees real weakness got fixed, his drop off being so quick was weird and crippling. Now I want them to replace FtH with a more consistent and better skill. Would be cool to see them move McCree towards CC rather than antiflanker, AF seems !Ike it's better executed by Roadhog, Mei, Junkrat or Symmetra. Heck even Tjorb is a better antiflanker IMHO.

I know people get really annoyed by Mei but something that would help move her into more of an anti-flanker role would be increasing the speed at which her M1 freezes people. As it stands now Mei works best against newer players but as skill levels rise she becomes less and less effective and she sees little "pro-tier" use. Her icicle does decent damage and her wall has a lot of interesting utility applications, but in general she struggles to effectively seal the deal unless someone was dumb enough to wander off from the group and also isn't competent enough to use escape moves the moment they start getting frozen, and even her ice block move only prolongs the inevitable a lot of the time.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

Replace fan the hammer with him just firing his gun wildly in the air while going YEE-HAW!

Make him pull out a second gun while he does this

if pharah is above him she is instantly killed

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Brannock posted:

That's still going to happen, because the problem there is from the travel time on the projectile.

100% chance they'll be doubling the projectile speed in the following patch. I could also see a movement speed increase, esp when drawing the bow. What he really needs is sustain or escape.

Kai Tave posted:

I know people get really annoyed by Mei but something that would help move her into more of an anti-flanker role would be increasing the speed at which her M1 freezes people. As it stands now Mei works best against newer players but as skill levels rise she becomes less and less effective and she sees little "pro-tier" use. Her icicle does decent damage and her wall has a lot of interesting utility applications, but in general she struggles to effectively seal the deal unless someone was dumb enough to wander off from the group and also isn't competent enough to use escape moves the moment they start getting frozen, and even her ice block move only prolongs the inevitable a lot of the time.

Make the slow take effect sooner, deal more damage, have the total freeze take longer, and have the slow effect wear off slower?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Ddraig posted:

Soldier, Zarya and Roadhog are all classic carry heroes. Soldier and Roadhog because they have large damage and self-sufficiency and Zarya because she can capitalize on your team's stupid mistakes (running into Bastion constantly) to turn into a murder machine.

I actually thought about Zarya but she seems kind of tricky to play as.

FaustianQ posted:

I actually really like going toe to toe with flankers as Tjorb. He hits decently hard and finishing someone with a hammer to the face is just so darn satisfying. Granted I'm scrub tier so take that for what it's worth.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FaustianQ posted:

Make the slow take effect sooner, deal more damage, have the total freeze take longer, and have the slow effect wear off slower?

All of that might be a bit too much? But certainly some combination thereof would help make Mei more of a serious threat even at higher levels of play than a pubstomper and mild nuisance which is sort of where she falls right now, and having someone who fills a...I don't want to say dedicated anti-flanker role but McCree seems to be moving into more of a mid-to-close range DPS role and Mei kind of lacks identity at the moment. I think the duration of the freeze itself is fine, it just takes a little too long to kick in and it's easy for halfway competent Tracers and Genjis to escape out of it (or, well, anyone with an escape ability really). A bit more slow upon being hit but not frozen might be decent too.

ils
Jan 22, 2001

vulturesrow posted:

I actually really like going toe to toe with flankers as Tjorb. He hits decently hard and finishing someone with a hammer to the face is just so darn satisfying. Granted I'm scrub tier so take that for what it's worth.

Torb is great against crappy flankers who think "Torb without a turret? Charge!" and run face-first into a couple shotgun blasts.

Decent flankers still rip him to shreds though :(

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
PTR Goon In-house! https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Actually them changing McCree's damage fall off begs the question of why they didn't change Mei's. She sees just as little action as him at high levels.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I figured out my difficulty tracking Ana's shots! Only her scoped rounds leave the tracer, so hipfiring like most people do is much less noticeable to me.

I just don't find her personal sound (the little hiss noise) very distinctive during a fire fight V:shobon:V

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
According to this dev stream, there are 4 maps in testing right now. One will come out soon-ish.
Current PTR changes will go into another round of changes and testing and could be another couple weeks go to live.
More new skins coming during the summer.
Friendly health bars for all heroes will be added eventually.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

wow can't believe blizz.. now my arrow actually has to go on the model to count as a hit ? what isd this bullshit?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Papercut posted:

The Hanzo players will just keep picking Hanzo, unfortunately.

If this ruins Mei's M2, I will be sad.

According to reddit, pretty much all projectiles seem to have smaller hitboxes. So Hanzo, Genji, Mei, Torb, Zen, etc all took a nerf. Which seems...less than ideal.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

how in gods name is it less than ideal to require people to hit what they are aiming at

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

MY ABACUS! posted:

Current PTR changes will go into another round of changes and testing and could be another couple weeks go to live.

gently caress this poo poo. At least release Ana so I can resume playing on live :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MY ABACUS! posted:

More new skins coming during the summer.

Literally all I care about :toot:

So I obviously hope the hazmat guy and the big red and yellow robot get added (although I wouldn't be surprised if hazmat guy got repurposed into Mei). But what I think would be a cool hero would be, in the back in the middle there are three sort of generic Overwatch agents. I say "generic" kind of complimentary because I like how they look so stereotypically that, with the sunglasses and the mustache and etc. So what if they made a character that was all 3 you play at once in a little unit. You control one main guy (the mustache guy OBVIOUSLY) and then you send out the other two as like AI sentries or something. They could be killed about as easy as Torbjorn's turret can. When they aren't called out they are running a little bit behind you to the side (so you can't see them in 1st person). When you die the others retreat and disappear when they get a certain distance like when WoW NPCs disappear after running off. I think that would be a cool unique hero!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

They talked about the hazmat dude briefly on the stream, they like the idea of him but aren't sure how to actually execute it so he's kind of in limbo

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hanzo's most definitely going to be too weak now, but in the long run it'll be better for Blizzard to come up with some real answers to his shortcomings, rather than letting stupidly broken hitboxes shore him up.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

Hanzo's most definitely going to be too weak now

Good

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Ha, if Ana kills Pharah she says "Mother knows best." in such a patronizing tone.

Bolow posted:

They talked about the hazmat dude briefly on the stream, they like the idea of him but aren't sure how to actually execute it so he's kind of in limbo

They should start with the GES Bio Rifle, except make the primary a spray like Mei.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 14, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

flashman posted:

how in gods name is it less than ideal to require people to hit what they are aiming at

Because these heroes were already weak or underused characters. If they require hitscan precision along with having to account for projectile travel time, then there's almost no reason to ever pick them over a hitscan hero.

They still have to hit what they aim at, there's just different levels of tolerance. Or at least there used to be.

Also remember, Overwatch isn't CS:GO.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

You people celebrating the end of Hanzo do realize that he's going to be an actual liability (instead of a perceived one) to your team now when he's inevitably still picked, right?

Like if this goes through without any other changes to Hanzo it might actually be justifiable now to get upset about someone else's hero pick.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Brannock posted:

You people celebrating the end of Hanzo do realize that he's going to be an actual liability (instead of a perceived one) to your team now when he's inevitably still picked, right?

He was already actually a liability. Death to Hanzos

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Brannock posted:

Because these heroes were already weak or underused characters. If they require hitscan precision along with having to account for projectile travel time, then there's almost no reason to ever pick them over a hitscan hero.

They still have to hit what they aim at, there's just different levels of tolerance. Or at least there used to be.

Also remember, Overwatch isn't CS:GO.

then buff them in other ways to make up for it if they end up too weak. Having "can get a kill with a missed shot" as your strength is one of the stupidest things i've ever heard

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brannock posted:

Like if this goes through without any other changes to Hanzo it might actually be justifiable now to get upset about someone else's hero pick.

Play other characters, mate.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Brannock posted:

I'm not sure what your stake in this is exactly but no, most people picking Hanzo that I've been with are actual liabilities being carried by the fact that they can score occasional headshots by jumping around and spamming shots, most people aren't Seagull and if not having stupidly generous hitboxes means Hanzo has no purpose in existing anymore then I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that maybe the problem with him as a hero runs deeper than no longer having as easy a time racking up accidental headshots. Second, it's never "justifiable" to get upset at how someone else chooses to play a video game (by which I mean yelling at them and acting like an rear end in a top hat, not just rolling your eyes to yourself) unless there's literal money on the line or they're deliberately griefing. Third, the hitboxes as demonstrated on video are still fairly generous in that they don't require ultra-pinpoint 10,000 hours in CS:GO level precision, you simply can't score a headshot by landing an arrow four inches to the left of someone's virtual head now.

edit; also like I get that the optimal way to kill people is with headshots but it's not like you can't do good work with bodyshots, I'm pretty sure I haven't killed nearly as many people with Torb's M1 using headshots as I have with bodyshots or the secondary fire but I still kill a bunch of people with him.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 14, 2016

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Hanzo owns and I will continue playing Hanzo even if they make projectile-player hitbox interactions a tiny little spec at center mass ala Japananimu Shmups. Long Live Hanzo

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

You big gamer blubberers are still going to get whapped in the head by competent Hanzos and you're still going to come in here whining about how the Hanzo couldn't possibly have known where you were or aimed at you ever. And that hanzo's going to be me

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

I'm the hanzo

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

flashman posted:

they should remove splash damage on pharahs rockets imo its bullshit that she can hit me when he isnt aimning at me what kinda scrub tier fps are you making blizz

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Brannock posted:

Seagull is just going to play other heroes.

This will wreck Hanzo though. Guess after fixing up Zenyatta they had to remove another hero!

oh I know, it just makes me unreasonably happy that he's sad about both of his waifus

I have no doubt he will adapt

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Vargs posted:

they should remove splash damage on pharahs rockets imo its bullshit that she can hit me when he isnt aimning at me what kinda scrub tier fps are you making blizz

this, but junkrat and sincere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

FaustianQ posted:

Fanning the Hammer is about the most Cowboy-ish thing I think of outside of downing an entire bottle of whiskey and then taking on the entire Saloon in a fist fight so no they should keep it and make it worthwhile to actually use.