Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

qntm posted:

then there should be a variant of git branch which also switches to the newly-created branch, putting it on git checkout makes no sense

checkout is the command used for... switching branches. Why wouldn't you want an option related to switching branches associated with the command for switching branches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

I'm gonna open source some hobby code I wrote a while back and the poo poo I was writing even five years ago is goddamn embarassing. And it's all there in the Git history for people to point and laugh at.

At least I'm in the right thread!

same but more like six months to six weeks ago

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

checkout is the command used for... switching branches. Why wouldn't you want an option related to switching branches associated with the command for switching branches?

it does more than that. Switches branches, creates branches, switch to commits (detached branches), update files from the current tree from those in a pathspec or patches (restoring files, like 'git checkout -- .' flushing temp work), merging branches while switching, and probably a bunch more.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

FUCKIN FINALLY

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

apparently you should cache an httpclient if you're gonna be connecting to the same server, otherwise... bad things happen

i used a using block so the old one should have been disposed right??? i know jack loving poo poo about disposing in c#. how does any of that poo poo work.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

git checkout is a stupid name for a command which switches branches

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

GameCube posted:

apparently you should cache an httpclient if you're gonna be connecting to the same server, otherwise... bad things happen

i used a using block so the old one should have been disposed right??? i know jack loving poo poo about disposing in c#. how does any of that poo poo work.

yes but unless your computer is totally hosed or the server is doing some weird rate limiting the only downside to not reusing an httpclient is the creation/disposal overhead.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qntm posted:

git checkout is a stupid name for a command which switches branches

git is bad and was designed by an idiot

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lol whoops my cube is inside out

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

GameCube posted:

using (IDisposable foo) {...} automatically disposes foo at the end

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

yes but unless your computer is totally hosed or the server is doing some weird rate limiting the only downside to not reusing an httpclient is the creation/disposal overhead.

i'm gonna guess it's mono's fault. loving xamarin. if we were targeting winphone instead of freaking faildroid i bet this wouldn't be an issue

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh yeah who knows what the hell Linux does w/ http requests. can it even do those?

but w/e best practice is to keep an instance of httpclient around for the life of your application since its not gonna change.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

now it seems like if i wait a couple minutes before making another request the socket dies. lol. freaking mono. freaking xamarin. freaking linux bullshit. gently caress

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

in the wake of me accidentally loving our performance via adding TransactionScopes i successfully finished a lovely load testing app thing!
yeah, this thing is stable with our original code but crashes the database in seconds if i put TransactionScopes in

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bloody posted:

same but more like six weeks to six days ago

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HoboMan posted:

in the wake of me accidentally loving our performance via adding TransactionScopes i successfully finished a lovely load testing app thing!
yeah, this thing is stable with our original code but crashes the database in seconds if i put TransactionScopes in

sounds like you might have some locking issues w/ ur design

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GameCube posted:

now it seems like if i wait a couple minutes before making another request the socket dies. lol. freaking mono. freaking xamarin. freaking linux bullshit. gently caress

i'm not really paying attention but i'm going to just say TIME_WAIT lmao

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

all of this git talk is really confusing to me because i think we have our own tooling on top of whatever svn already does. when i make a "branch", i get a branch on the server and then all of that is checked out into a folder named after the branch on my computer and that's where i do my work. then i commit that to the branch on the server. when it's ready to go to trunk, our internal tool merges my branch into a local copy of trunk on my computer. then i commit that to trunk on the server.

how does that translate to gitspeak?

code:
git add -A
git commit  -m "Oh, so you only have to change two global variables to edit a form. Cool ppl, cool."
git add blah/blah/piss.m
git commit -m "Missed one"
git add blah/blssn/butts.m
git commit -m "Missed another"
git add blah/blaad/farts.m
git commit -m "Missed ANOTHER"
git blame blah/blad/sharts.m
git add -A
git commit -m "gently caress you, Ricky ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck you. i hope you die gargling glass. and piss. glass AND piss"
git rebase -i
git push

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

^ a professional workflow

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Brain Candy posted:

code:
git add -A
git commit  -m "Oh, so you only have to change two global variables to edit a form. Cool ppl, cool."
git add blah/blah/piss.m
git commit -m "Missed one"
git add blah/blssn/butts.m
git commit -m "Missed another"
git add blah/blaad/farts.m
git commit -m "Missed ANOTHER"
git blame blah/blad/sharts.m
git add -A
git commit -m "gently caress you, Ricky ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck you. i hope you die gargling glass. and piss. glass AND piss"
git rebase -i
git push

Why wouldn't you throw a git status in there to make sure you had added everything?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

indeed, note the two git status in mine. just to be sure

e: also lol if you don't have a properly configured gitignore file and can just go
code:
# git add ./
every time and not think about it ever again

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 14, 2016

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

it does more than that. Switches branches, creates branches, switch to commits (detached branches), update files from the current tree from those in a pathspec or patches (restoring files, like 'git checkout -- .' flushing temp work), merging branches while switching, and probably a bunch more.

i wrote out 4 examples earlier, 2 changing branches, 2 changing files in working copy

git checkout is about modifying your working copy that you haven't modified, or you have

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

VikingofRock posted:

Why wouldn't you throw a git status in there to make sure you had added everything?

i would anyway cos im never sure of anything except my own ineptitude

gcb dicktree
# write some bad code
gst
gcam 'added first lovely code'
# more bad code
gst
ga .
gcm 'forgot this other lovely code'
# write some more lovely code cos you had another bad idea
gsta # stash it because you had yet another bad idea
gst
gstd # gently caress that other bullshit
ga .
gcm 'ok this is it, i got it working enough'
gp origin dicktree

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

HoboMan posted:

indeed, note the two git status in mine. just to be sure

e: also lol if you don't have a properly configured gitignore file and can just go
code:
# git add ./
every time and not think about it ever again

look at this scrub who doesn't know about git commit -a

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

vodkat posted:

Hey I'm trying to work with matching names between two quite large databases and I was wondering if anyone here had some tips.

Firstly are their any packages for python that will make this sort of thing more painless? for removing all of the edge case prefix and postfixes that people love to enter for no reason. And secondly, whats the best way to handle slight differences in names between the databases, for example inconsistent use of middle names, last name/firstnames etc? I've seen some stack exchange answers suggesting fuzzy matching them but I'm not sure what the best way to implement this is.

It seems like this would be the sort of thing that people must run into all the time, but as a p. lovely programmer I'm not really sure what I should be doing.

i normally wouldn't recommend java for anything but for this specific case the fuzzy matching stuff from the lucene package is extremely needs suiting if you add like 25 lines of your own java

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Luigi Thirty posted:

lol whoops my cube is inside out

no, your cameras on the wrong side

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

but what if i want to create a tag named HEAD? what about me??

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i dont know what tags are for tbh

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

"This is the exact code we released when we made release 4.20.69"

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

pretty sure you and i already got yelled at for this one.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

lmao yep.

hackbunny posted:

tag your loving releases you goobers

is this:

MononcQc posted:

well for the team I'm on they point to a stable deploy point; they allow to give a name to a commit, and can be signed and with comments and poo poo. We also use them as a signal for our continuous integration stack to build a release and upload it to another server (or s3) where the artifacts are kept on permanently.

It's easier to know that v123.0.4 is a follow-up to v122.3.4 than commit hash ae46fd supercedes hash fe8023 when dealing with multiple environments that can be concurrently running various versions of the software.

so hard to understand?

hackbunny posted:

"I basically just point my rear end in the general direction of the source tree and make it rain" - release management according to the github generation

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
i ended up writing this today:
JavaScript code:
// Create the root element
document.body.appendChild((el => el.setAttribute('id', 'app') || el)(document.createElement('div')));
how can I make it even more terrible and code golf-y?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I'd take a mulligan on that old chap

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jony neuemonic posted:

pretty sure you and i already got yelled at for this one.

lol oh yeah

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this is so much worse than you think

it could only use ata/sata hard drives. no scsi/sas option existed. and you could only buy the hard drives from apple because they were proprietary

also back then osx was an even worse unix than it is now. it ran mysql at like 1/10th the performance of linux or solaris. it was just totally useless as a server

i am pretty sure the only people who ever bought these things were guys trying to use the Xsan distributed filesystem thing

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

was it true that the fancy aluminum cases sagged when hot?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

BattleMaster posted:

was it true that the fancy aluminum cases sagged when hot?

pretty sure in an old job we had one for video processing and yes, it sagged

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

jony neuemonic posted:

lmao yep.

so hard to understand?

Mmmmm I never tag my releases, I just have separate branches and Jenkins jobs for each branch. Then Jenkins insert the build number and branch info into the binaries so I can always trace them back. Am I do it backwards?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
how do you know which commit a given branch was on when a given build number was built? is the commit hash the build number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

NihilCredo posted:

why is HEAD always written in all caps, and please tell me it's case sensitive because that would be the most unixy thing ever

Linus honestly believes the filesystem not only should be case-insensitive, but that it also shouldn't do any sort of Unicode normalization or decomposition

so he thinks that you should be able to have two files that look like they have an identical name in your repo as long as the byte sequence used to represent them is different

more evidence Linus is nowhere near as smart as he has always thought himself to be

• Locked thread