Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Paul Proteus posted:

How are you adding full reeves? They are 16 pts.

I'm still trying to figure this out myself. I hate all satyrs not called shadowhorn, so i may do a scarsfell and another argus. Or shadowhorn then an 18 pt unit or heavy the next week.

Riphorn's 14, so week 2 I play one point down then week 3 play at 30 pts, unless I'm missing something. Note our league is 0-15-30 not the default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Wizard Styles posted:

Rip Horn is 14 points.

poo poo, for one sweet second I forgot the default mangled metal restriction for week 2. (Because we also axed that since it'd lead to some questionable lists and purchases.)

Guess the Rip Horn really is the least bad option then? Going for one of the cheaper Satyrs might also be reasonable, idk, I think they all suck.

I hate the Riphorn. Even with max buffs its only hitting ps19, and only 3 fury, which is barely going to kill those cheap as hell Khador jacks. I see circle having to do jank assassinations in the BB and the next week against a lot of opponents. Maybe the shadowhorn's jump and throw is better? I don't know. 18 pts gets you a feral the next week, but at that point its too much fury for a fury 6 caster.

*edit* my bad on the reeves question, I had thought the riphorn was 15.

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 14, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, the Rip Horn is functional but I don't see myself ever looking at a list with one in it and being happy with it. I'd always try to find a way to upgrade to a warpwolf.

The other two satyrs are both gimmicky, though, but maybe going for a gimmick is better.
A cheap satyr in week 2 means you can get Gobbers in week 3 as well. e: Assuming full Reeves in week 3. Not sure they'll be needed that early, but it's something.

Either way, if it has to be a satyr, and I guess it does, I'd definitely try to get WE&SJ into the list at some point. A Pureblood and a goat just aren't enough.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 14, 2016

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

WE and SJ would be an interesting add after a cheaper satyr week 3. If you didnt do reeves. It helps the fury problem and star crossed is a bitch.

Doesn't save you from the gator BB though. gently caress Barnabas. I will switch to pBaldur in a heartbeat just to flip that guy off.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Yeah at this point it had to be a satyr because that and the serve box were what I could get in time for the league - noeits time to actually order for the end half...

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

eskimaux posted:

Match 2: Against Retribution. I managed to avoid getting shot up by placing swamp pits everywhere,

I'm playing with the Gators in my journeyman too and people kept telling me to do this but you can't. Apparently Swamp Pit didn't used to be an Upkeep spell but it is now.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Paul Proteus posted:

I hate the Riphorn. Even with max buffs its only hitting ps19, and only 3 fury, which is barely going to kill those cheap as hell Khador jacks. I see circle having to do jank assassinations in the BB and the next week against a lot of opponents. Maybe the shadowhorn's jump and throw is better? I don't know. 18 pts gets you a feral the next week, but at that point its too much fury for a fury 6 caster.

*edit* my bad on the reeves question, I had thought the riphorn was 15.

I totally don't understand this criticism. POW 19 with 3 fury is what loving Imperatus usually runs around at and I don't think anyone would say he hits like a pussy. And the Rip Horn has another initial, charges for free (which Impy only gets with Vyros) and has a Chain Attack for yet another extra attack in there. Like, I understand Impy has some other advantages over the Rip Horn, but that thing hits like a mac truck for 14 pts. 7 POW 19's with a free charge averages ~45 dmg against an ARM 20 heavy, which is totally fine in my book.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

CaptCommy posted:

7 POW 19's with a free charge averages ~45 dmg against an ARM 20 heavy, which is totally fine in my book.

I was going to say it's going to be an adjustment for hordes players to not completely outclass warmachine in the heavy offense department, but then this still outclasses in most cases.

eskimaux
Jun 28, 2007

Danimo posted:

I'm playing with the Gators in my journeyman too and people kept telling me to do this but you can't. Apparently Swamp Pit didn't used to be an Upkeep spell but it is now.

I completely missed that. I didn't actually cast more than one at a time as I only had one 5" AoE template but that's good to know. I think my future battle strategy is going to have to change significantly.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

CaptCommy posted:

I totally don't understand this criticism. POW 19 with 3 fury is what loving Imperatus usually runs around at and I don't think anyone would say he hits like a pussy. And the Rip Horn has another initial, charges for free (which Impy only gets with Vyros) and has a Chain Attack for yet another extra attack in there. Like, I understand Impy has some other advantages over the Rip Horn, but that thing hits like a mac truck for 14 pts. 7 POW 19's with a free charge averages ~45 dmg against an ARM 20 heavy, which is totally fine in my book.

Is that with Primal and Scything Touch from another beast? (I really need to sit down and read every card in Circle to get a feel for what the standard buffs are...)

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

xiw posted:

Is that with Primal and Scything Touch from another beast? (I really need to sit down and read every card in Circle to get a feel for what the standard buffs are...)

Yeah, it was the Tanith case. He's a 15 base which is admittedly mediocre, but with buffs he becomes nuts. Like most things in MK3, he's a very caster dependent beast. Even just with Primal 7 pow 17s is solid, ~31 dmg to arm 20

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
With the casters that can get him to 19, he's definitely a short ranged throw away missile that one rounds heavies. I actually like most of the goat changes, they are at least super cheap now. Shadowhorn was always cool.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

CaptCommy posted:

Of course the riphorn is absolutely useless the next turn after doing that, which one of the big features of Imperatus is that he is generally around the next round because he is a bitch to kill.

Unless he fails to one round mulg with ragnor, who can cast pulverize and rage on mulg to make him like dice + an absurd amount and he has no problems one rounding impy twice.

EDIT: In regards to Sole's comments on the Skorne "design space", the whole "they are a warrior culture full of elite melee soldiers" concept would work a lot better if Skorne had troops that were 1) good at hitting in melee, and 2) actually able to get into combat. The praetorian troops have lower MAT than nihilators, the crazy berserk warriors. All skorne infantry have defensive stats that mean that anyone can shoot them off the board without much issue. They have no weapon masters outside of cetratii. Menoth fits the "army of elite melee troops" a hell of a lot better than Skorne, and they are not hampered by this desire to keep skorne in this very limited design.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 14, 2016

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

And yet, we somehow got along with using primal on and trading our stalkers. It all depends on the board state and lists.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Of course the riphorn is absolutely useless the next turn after doing that, which one of the big features of Imperatus is that he is generally around the next round because he is a bitch to kill.
The Riphorn is 14 points...

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Starting a journeyman league tomorrow with Cryx. I planned out my list but am not 100% on it and was hoping for some goonhelp:

w1 bb
w2 stalker
w3 bane war/knights (undecided on this)
w4 aiakos, blt, min raiders with witch
w5 max raiders, raider cap or wws , orrin midwinter
w6 wtc, soul trapper

Any thoughts? Im not married to anything really but I like the idea of banes screened by raiders with aiakos/stalker and aggy sneaking around in the back. Not neccisarily looking to win the league or anything, really just trying to actually get myself into the store to play some games and start learning spacing, timing, and general stuff I would need if I wanted to start seriously playing steamroller.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
So apparently the Warmachine upgraded juniors are all getting collectors boxes pre releases at gen con.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I guess the nice thing about upgraded juniors is that I'm gonna feel no guilt proxying them using their previous models!

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Kithkar posted:

So apparently the Warmachine upgraded juniors are all getting collectors boxes pre releases at gen con.

How do you make a dude with a name like "Tristan" seem intimidating? Tristan isn't driving war jacks. He's woofing down orange slices at half time, getting a side stitch 5 minutes into the second half, falling over clutching his side before vomiting up said orange slices. His helicopter mom then immediately calls an ambulance because nothing like his has ever happened to poor perfect little Tristan before.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Kithkar posted:

Weird semantics question: Will the new Aaikos (et al) be Aaikos2? Even though it's the first Aaikos Warcaster, technically, kind of? Or will the new Aaikos be Aaikos1, and his previous iteration be Aaikos Jr? This is a VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION (probably only to me).

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nah I was thinking about the whole thing (and actually, how cool it is) and checking for example Elara says "Elara 1" on the old leaked cards.

Ysera
Feb 19, 2012

Playing and painting poorly.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Oh, Acosta is Knaak's self insert in this setting? I really hate Knaak the Hack and really wish companies would stop having him write fiction for them.

Wonder how long it will be before Acosta has to save all of the most powerful characters in WM/H, up to and including Haley, Harbinger, and Wurmwood.

I'm a bit late to the conversation, and this isn't about Warmachine, but I actually really liked Knaak's first couple WoW books. Rhonin in Day of the Dragon and the Well of Eternity trilogy was a pretty cool dude. I sort of viewed him as a Rincewind type wizard in DotD. Sort of bad at magic and bumbling along. Then he sort of got sucked into a magic time portal and stuff. Maybe he was a Marty Stu but I liked him.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

CaptCommy posted:

I totally don't understand this criticism. POW 19 with 3 fury is what loving Imperatus usually runs around at and I don't think anyone would say he hits like a pussy.

I'll say it.

Crusaders hit harder than Impy with just a choir buff. Pow 22 if you add ignite.

And it's 10 points. :colbert:

I'm having so much fun in menoth... it's everything I wanted from skorne!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Also, saying the Rip Horn is good when it's buffed is not really going to get anyone to reconsider tbh. It gets a lot of attacks for a low point and fury investment, that's its whole thing. Of course it works well with damage buffs/ARM debuffs.
That's already where its problems begin, though, because it needs at least one of these to function, so it's not entirely a cheap throwaway model.

And then you compare it to a Feral, who is faster, more survivable, more accurate, hits harder and has Primal. There's only so much a 4 point cost difference can make up for.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I'll say it.

Crusaders hit harder than Impy with just a choir buff. Pow 22 if you add ignite.

And it's 10 points. :colbert:

I'm having so much fun in menoth... it's everything I wanted from skorne!

I've definitely been having a lot of fun with Menoth.

My go-to tactic right now is to have a squad of Flameguard run in and absorb charges and tie people up, meanwhile I run my squad of three crusaders up behind them for the counterattack.

Crusaders are unbelievable in Mk3. Their only problem is that they're spd 4 with no reach, so delivering them is a problem. But once they get in there, oooh boy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jubelio posted:

I was going to say it's going to be an adjustment for hordes players to not completely outclass warmachine in the heavy offense department, but then this still outclasses in most cases.

Going from Legion to Cygnar has been absolutely eye-opening because I can no longer casually assume that things I put heavies into will automatically die outright, and Cygnar has some of the best jacks there are. Fury is such a way better mechanic when you absolutely want something loving dead.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Can a Menoth veteran explain to me what good the Sanctifier is? Do you just use them against Cryx? What gives?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Can a Menoth veteran explain to me what good the Sanctifier is? Do you just use them against Cryx? What gives?

It's a heavy 'jack that provides it's own focus. That's about it. It was probably more useful back in Mk2, when focus was at more of a premium.

It's still pretty decent if you want to run a lot of 'jacks, and there's no competition for your dudes' souls (you're not running Reclaimers). It's definitely a niche 'jack, however.

e: And yes, it's also decent against Cryx, since it counters Incorporeal and can deny them your dudes' souls.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I don't think they're that compelling but mostly because the rest of Menoth's heavy lineup evened up a bunch in utility - the Sanctifier's niche is tight enough that you will generally go for something else. If they hadn't lost 1 POW they'd be fine I reckon.

They used to be a good 3rd or 4th heavy in a jack-heavy list - I used one with Durst for example with a reclaimer on the opposite flank to be able to fully load 4 heavies after his feat turn.

The fundamental problem is that incorp spam feels like it's gone down in threat a bunch now that they can't free strike and mess you up - so exorcist is so edge case. I played into rengrave's with Amon and was kind of wishing I had a sanctifier, but in play flashing blade (targets enemies only) + the steamroller objective that gives magical weapons to your Vanquisher did the job easily.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

xiw posted:

I guess the nice thing about upgraded juniors is that I'm gonna feel no guilt proxying them using their previous models!

I will make a mess in my jorts if Andy gets to keep Redline!

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

CaptCommy posted:

I'd say the same thing as wizard styles, but I'd also add that I am using all my buffs to make it worthwhile, and it still trades down in points on a juggernaut or crusader. I also lose it for two turns (if it doesn't immediately die). The satyrs( except Brennos) are hot garbage, and no one would even be considering the riphorn if it were not for the journeymen leagues.

Circle is suffering from the comments people have said before - lack of interest from someone at PP. Blood pack is the perfect example of this. Their skornergy and nerfs make no sense when they were already only taken with Kaya or Morv. They definitely made some models super useful that weren't before: Reeves, Sentry (outside of Brad), Brennos, Argus, etc, but the playstyle has not gotten any better. If anything, the questions circle asked before have just sidechanged.

I need to build and try out some wild growth and double sentry lists to try out the new LOS denial. I see that being some of our strongest plays, especially with premeasuring.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Geisladisk posted:

It's a heavy 'jack that provides it's own focus. That's about it. It was probably more useful back in Mk2, when focus was at more of a premium.

It's still pretty decent if you want to run a lot of 'jacks, and there's no competition for your dudes' souls (you're not running Reclaimers). It's definitely a niche 'jack, however.

e: And yes, it's also decent against Cryx, since it counters Incorporeal and can deny them your dudes' souls.

I really want to try one with the Bastion Seneschal marshalling it, since it will benefit from Crush!, be able to load itself with Focus, and due to the drive won't lose any effectiveness until it's dead. I'm not sure it's more than a goofy gimmick, but it sounds too fun not to try at least once.

e: More generally, Spd 5 reach heavy with two initials isn't a bad thing to have.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
It's an utter gently caress you to haley3 players too. (Especially comboed with reznik2) It's a solid Jack, pow is a little low but being able to bank souls til you activate (so you can fix its cortex and then still use focus that turn), magic weapon, Ashen veil, and a 10"! Bubble of anti incorp is loving sweet.

I wouldn't use it as your only melee Jack, but it's a solid second or third heavy option when you're worried about focus economy issues or incorporeal douches.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

susan posted:

Weird semantics question: Will the new Aaikos (et al) be Aaikos2? Even though it's the first Aaikos Warcaster, technically, kind of? Or will the new Aaikos be Aaikos1, and his previous iteration be Aaikos Jr? This is a VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION (probably only to me).

I am certain they will be Aaikos2 et al. They have been called so specifically by PP staff.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

EDIT: In regards to Sole's comments on the Skorne "design space", the whole "they are a warrior culture full of elite melee soldiers" concept would work a lot better if Skorne had troops that were 1) good at hitting in melee, and 2) actually able to get into combat. The praetorian troops have lower MAT than nihilators, the crazy berserk warriors. All skorne infantry have defensive stats that mean that anyone can shoot them off the board without much issue. They have no weapon masters outside of cetratii. Menoth fits the "army of elite melee troops" a hell of a lot better than Skorne, and they are not hampered by this desire to keep skorne in this very limited design.

I've always wondered about what their defining feature is. The soul thing feels too gimmicky and really only shows up on some lists, but overall it feels like they designed them and about most of the way through were like "wait, this is hordes Khador" and just threw in some random stuff to differentiate it.

Like when I first read about Skorne I assumed it was something like a poo poo ton of cheap victim stat levies and some super elite dudes. Like a torture-japan Bretonnia but without horses.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kithkar posted:

I am certain they will be Aaikos2 et al. They have been called so specifically by PP staff.

Have they said what the plan for Fianna, the Legion character, is yet? She never was a caster since that would give them two and only Cygnar gets that. So she was stuck as a "super solo" who never was that super. Are they planning on at least making her a Lesser Warlock now?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Is Gastone getting a collectors box too? Because I want that.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

rkajdi posted:

Have they said what the plan for Fianna, the Legion character, is yet? She never was a caster since that would give them two and only Cygnar gets that. So she was stuck as a "super solo" who never was that super. Are they planning on at least making her a Lesser Warlock now?

She's going to be a full warlock, Everblight warlocks don't really have a junior training phase, see Kyrssa. They just sorta get the Anthanc in the chest.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kithkar posted:

She's going to be a full warlock, Everblight warlocks don't really have a junior training phase, see Kyrssa. They just sorta get the Anthanc in the chest.

Awesome. I don't regularly play my Legion stuff, but another caster is the easiest way to create more variability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

GoodBee posted:

Is Gastone getting a collectors box too? Because I want that.

I believe he is.

If the Journeyman Warcasters keep their signature spells, Gastone could be really good. A Merc Warcaster who signature is Run and Gun game play would be pretty handy now that Merc warjacks are fantastic. He could basically become Merc's Kara Sloan and I'm totally happy with that.