Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhonne posted:

I love Hagakure's creepy stuffed animal.
It's a guy in a suit, she's the mole, and that's going to be the teleport focal point for the portal dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > My Hero Academia: GOD? NO. [FROG].

Terper fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 13, 2016

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ytlaya posted:

Hm, it makes no sense that the students should have trouble passing this exam, since they're literally some of the best young heroes in the entire country. If they don't pass it, who would? The only way the pass rate makes sense is if a bunch of random people who aren't even trained to be heroes also take it.

I figured the number was national. The Provisional is probably a requirement for a full license (get a provisional then X hours of on the job experience and so on), so you've got a bunch randos trying to break into one of those most prestigious (and profitable) careers around.

The academies (UA in particular) probably have a much higher pass rate. And I wouldn't be surprised if Aizawa fudged the numbers a bit.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I took it as 'you can technically earn it this year, but most people take a few tries to get it. But since we lost the symbol of peace and you guys have been attacked a dozen times it seems, you definitely need to get it.'

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Blackheart posted:

BTW I wanted to ask, could anyone link me to the Christmas short comic? The one where All Might ask Deku what he wants as a gift.
Boku No Hero Academia Smash! is what your looking for, it's series of extra gag comics. Chapter eight is the Christmas one.

Edit: Nope, I misremembered that completely, guess I have brain problems!

Buckets fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 13, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sorry, only have it in potato quality.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

So does that All Might spinoff thing actually exist or was that just some rumor the thread caught on to? I never actually found any information about it anywhere else.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've not seen anything in spoiler threads, netabare or elsewhere, so I'd put it as a fake rumour for now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

How can one frog be so perfect

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Thanks!

I remember it being at the end of one chapter, I wanna say at the training camp arc, I'll have to check when I have some time.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Oooh. That's what my granny wanted.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Show me Ojiro's super move

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Good.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

KittyEmpress posted:

I took it as 'you can technically earn it this year, but most people take a few tries to get it. But since we lost the symbol of peace and you guys have been attacked a dozen times it seems, you definitely need to get it.'

Yeah the impression I got was that this is something that most hero academies will aim for students to earn in their third or fourth year.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Terper posted:

How can one frog be so perfect

no one but tsuyu could be as perfect as tsuyu

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Midoriya's closest analogs in WSJ are Sena from eyeshield21 and Tsuna from Reborn.

He's a lot less wimpy than either even at the end of their series but he does fit into a mold.

Maybe a bit of kurogane too.

Maybe a little, although Tsuna is introduced as stupid as well as wimpy, which Midoriya definitely isn't. (Perhaps Tsuna is the really unconventional shonen protagonist: he's sort of a genderflipped version of Usagi from Sailor Moon. He even has a stock-footage transformation sequence!) Also, Midoriya, being actually well-written, doesn't do the circular character development thing that Tsuna and his friends do.

Gohan from DBZ is actually somewhat more Midoriya-like, although a lot of the similar character traits are told rather than shown in Gohan's case, and he becomes more Bakugou-like when you push the right buttons.

Ytlaya posted:

I can't really think of a single shounen lead that is like Bakugou (I think you're getting at the "burning spirit" thing, shounen leads are rarely actually angry and ill-natured).

Eren from Attack on Titan, maybe? Although obviously Bakugou is much more of an rear end in a top hat than Eren.

Edit: Jolyne Cujoh is also a fairly angry main character.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 14, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No Deku, your game is on 3DS!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jolyne wasn't angry until she had to deal with amazing amounts of bullshit all day every day.

deku was destined to accomplish nothing until he had his one miraculous afternoon. he was weak, timid and averted his eyes from reality. even though he feebly maintained that he could become a hero without a quirk, he had no plan aside from taking the exam for a hero school. his heroic traits were buried so deeply that no one including deku was aware they existed.

all might had to dig pretty deep to turn deku into a shounen fighting manga protagonist.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Silver2195 posted:

Gohan from DBZ is actually somewhat more Midoriya-like, although a lot of the similar character traits are told rather than shown in Gohan's case, and he becomes more Bakugou-like when you push the right buttons.

Come to think of it, have we ever seen Deku get really angry with an enemy? I feel like a pissed off Izuku could cause a lot of damage.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
This next chapter is clearly Tokoyami's time to shine.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The characterization in this manga is really, really good. To me that's what sets it apart from other series.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I want way more Mina Ashido

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I want to see....

...the special move names.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blackheart posted:

I want way more Mina Ashido

We got quite a bit of her these last two chapters. She took the lead on the room contest.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
A sad tsuyu makes me sad.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

We got quite a bit of her these last two chapters. She took the lead on the room contest.

It's not enough. I must have more.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
That Froggy scene was super touching! It was so nice to see all her friends gather round her and give her comfort. They're such good friends. :sympathy:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I want to see....

...the special move names.

Baron Explodo Killerization

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I want to see more of all of these characters (except Mineta).

This manga can't have enough spinoffs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure about how everyone else in the class is developing as a potential hero, while mineta is mostly developing as a sex offender.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

While I may dislike Mineta for a burning passion, the reason he's around is because he _does_ want to be a hero, perversion aside. He wants to be cool, and heroes are cool. He's like those little schoolchildren who may be snot nosed brats, but do put their best foot forward for what they love.

... That, and his costume making him look like a bowl of grapes is pretty drat great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Begemot posted:

I want to see more of all of these characters (except Mineta).

This manga can't have enough spinoffs.

Same. I love all the students. They're the best.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like these characters, minus Mineta, so I feel pretty bad that I can't remember everyone's name despite having read the entire manga up to now.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Oh my god. Mineta makes me so uncomfortable. Imagine if you were a female student, and you go to bed one evening, and in the dark, ON THE CEILING, HE'S THERE!! WATCHING!!

:gonk:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mineta's kind of lame

I like his useless power tho

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

mineta's kind of lame

I like his useless power tho

His power is actually extremely useful and arguably one of the strongest, just difficult to utilize.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RareAcumen posted:

I like these characters, minus Mineta, so I feel pretty bad that I can't remember everyone's name despite having read the entire manga up to now.

I feel like I know at least one of everyone's names except tentacle boy. The guy whose room was literally nothing, with the weird hand mouth.

And of course the class B people besides Shinsou, the mind control dude, and Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu, for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

His power is actually extremely useful and arguably one of the strongest, just difficult to utilize.

sticky hairballs are extremely useful? I'm not seeing it