Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
When the whole world is crazy, the moon is the only quiet place left to go to study.

While I feel that it made sense that once again Zero had potentially good intentions, it was refreshing to have a Zero who was still villainous in spite of that. At no point did he have to melt 6 people with acid or burn someone alive to make his point but he did anyway. In that sense it kind of makes it work that VLR was generally so clinical feeling most of the time because it shines a light on how unnecessarily gruesome the decision game was.

My biggest disappointment overall with the game was that throughout the game I was developing this increasing suspicion that Zero was actually using the other 9 characters as pawns, and that the decision game was all an elaborate trap for the player to be caught in, or if not something like a trap, a chance to make a point. When he gives Sean the number and mentions that you may need it someday, I got the idea he wasn't talking to Sean, and to have been wrong about that one was a bit of a letdown, because I feel like the last few moments would have been cooler.

This game was a really fun ride and I think it's a good conclusion to the series. I probably wouldn't feel as good about it if I somehow could have read it right after I finished VLR due to dropped or unclear plot threads, but having until a year ago given up on getting a conclusion at all, it's easy to overlook a few things I didn't like. For every bit of the plot I want to nitpick there's a moment I love like Akane asking Carlos why he didn't just stop the decision game from happening in the first place, or the do not press button which is probably my favorite moment in the entire series just for how unexpected and hilarious that was.

Favorite character this time around was Carlos, mostly because of how hard he tried in earnest to accomplish things and always fell just a bit short of truly saving the day. Diana was a close second for me, possibly tied with Sean, who I didn't think I would like at the start but ended up being fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zero: Hey kid. You're a computer. Stop all the downloadin'!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Zero: Hey kid. You're a computer. Stop all the downloadin'!

Sean: Help computer. :cry:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh God the body parts in the Pantry were Junpei's! :gonk:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I thought the pantry fragment was great, even though I'd already seen the fragment where Carlos mentions having seen Junpei's severed head sitting on a shelf in the pantry. It's interesting, because even though the reveal itself lost its shock value from me knowing it was coming, the tension of knowing it was coming and waiting to see how Carlos and Akane would react was great. Not to mention finding the first piece of Junpei's mutilated body and realizing that Zero incorporated bits of Junpei's corpse into the room's puzzle... even knowing Junpei was already dead, the sheer :stonk: value of that moment was fantastic.

Also, I personally found Akane's bad voicing acting after the reveal to have been absolutely friggin' hilarious.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Momomo posted:

That room took me a lot longer since I didn't realize the second chapter of the book unlocked and spent a while trying all the cards on the table. Then I just figured out what 2 and 3 were and went from there.
Fuuuuck I did the same thing. It didn't even occur to me that chapter unlocked before.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The puzzle room I was stuck on for the longest was the Bio-Lab, just because it took me forever to click in the right place to find the drat centrifuge manual even after checking a guide and knowing where I was supposed to look for it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My biggest issues with puzzles were always cases where there was one element that I just didn't notice because they were hard to spot, such as the door in the floor in the Rec Room or the input device in the Teleporter Room. Everything else might have taken a while to figure out but generally I'd get through it just fine if I just threw myself at a given puzzle long enough, but those rooms I'd be stuck with nothing seemingly to do because I didn't notice those weird little details. At the very least there were no loving dice puzzles this time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

W.T. Fits posted:

I thought the pantry fragment was great, even though I'd already seen the fragment where Carlos mentions having seen Junpei's severed head sitting on a shelf in the pantry. It's interesting, because even though the reveal itself lost its shock value from me knowing it was coming, the tension of knowing it was coming and waiting to see how Carlos and Akane would react was great. Not to mention finding the first piece of Junpei's mutilated body and realizing that Zero incorporated bits of Junpei's corpse into the room's puzzle... even knowing Junpei was already dead, the sheer :stonk: value of that moment was fantastic.

Also, I personally found Akane's bad voicing acting after the reveal to have been absolutely friggin' hilarious.

I did the pod room fragment, and then I see Junpei's head, Akane with a chainsaw, and Carlos with an axe

Then when I looked a C team, I saw the fragment with Akane and the chainsaw and decided to head for crazy town.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Who DIDN'T choose the Akane Chainsaw fragment immediately?

Cuz I sure did

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

voltcatfish posted:

Cuz I sure did

I didn't, I saved it for last.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

voltcatfish posted:

Cuz I sure did

I chose it without even thinking about it, like "oh ok" and then. so much happened

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I started with Q team fragments because I knew they were already going to be the worst with Mira, Eric, and Quark 2.0

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

Cuz I sure did

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

Cuz I sure did

It was the last of all the initial fragments that I chose. :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow gently caress it took me this long to actually think about this but

Who killed D Team after the Healing Room? Is it supposed to be Mira? I would think so, but the hooded figure seems really short.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Thuryl posted:

The puzzle room I was stuck on for the longest was the Bio-Lab, just because it took me forever to click in the right place to find the drat centrifuge manual even after checking a guide and knowing where I was supposed to look for it.

Yeah that room was awful. I never though to put the plate into the radiator to reveal the message (there was no hint to do that) and I still don't understand what you were supposed to do with the animal vial things. I just brute forced it.

On the other hand, the transporter room puzzle was awesome (and the first puzzle I did). I love math and other bases.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Amppelix posted:

Who killed D Team after the Healing Room? Is it supposed to be Mira? I would think so, but the hooded figure seems really short.

Yeah, Zero later explains that it was Mira. No idea why she would bother wearing a cloak though or where she got it in the first place. Seems like a story element they planned on expanding on but ran out of time or resources to pursue. Same with the whole deal of her being the killer of the first woman whose murder ended up getting pinned on Akane's dad. Seems like a pretty important story element to not resolve by the end of the game!!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Amppelix posted:

She had black fingernails, yeah.

Also, a cool detail on reflection - when Phi and Diana are like "oh no Eric's dead, that just means the only people left are Mira and..." they trail off so you think they're being suspicious of Sean/Q, but no, they're actually just saying "oh gently caress Mira must have killed Eric."

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

MegaZeroX posted:

Yeah that room was awful. I never though to put the plate into the radiator to reveal the message (there was no hint to do that) and I still don't understand what you were supposed to do with the animal vial things. I just brute forced it.

On the other hand, the transporter room puzzle was awesome (and the first puzzle I did). I love math and other bases.

the vials are related to the packet of capsules you pick up; in their defailt position in the item icon, the colors look like numbers, which is the order they go in on the pod. the colors correspond to the icons on the computer that are human/bird/plant etc etc colored the same colors as the capsules

that was the hardest thing for me to pick up on in the game tbh

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

gigawhite posted:

Yeah, Zero later explains that it was Mira. No idea why she would bother wearing a cloak though or where she got it in the first place. Seems like a story element they planned on expanding on but ran out of time or resources to pursue. Same with the whole deal of her being the killer of the first woman whose murder ended up getting pinned on Akane's dad. Seems like a pretty important story element to not resolve by the end of the game!!

That did get explained though, Mira's first victim was Eric's mother.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That did get explained though, Mira's first victim was Eric's mother.

Yeah, just that Akane never finds out, nothing really comes of it, and there's really no reason why it had to be Mira there in the first place.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Not really a spoiler, but I can't believe I just realized CRASH KEYS is actually a play on words with the Japanese transliteration of Akane's name (i.e. Kurashiki = Ku-Rashi Ki = Crash Key). :stare:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dmboogie posted:

She had black fingernails, yeah.

Yeah I noticed that she had the same fingernail color and then saw that the Q team were the only ones who found a scalpel so I thought it was supposed to be obvious that it was her but there was no way to guess how she got to the other team's place.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Not really a spoiler, but I can't believe I just realized CRASH KEYS is actually a play on words with the Japanese transliteration of Akane's name (i.e. Kurashiki = Ku-Rashi Ki = Crash Key). :stare:

In fact there's not just one Kurashiki... There are two Kurashikis.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Exercu posted:

In fact there's not just one Kurashiki... There are two Kurashikis.

Wait, what do you mean? :confused:

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Wait, what do you mean? :confused:

Crash Keys was founded by Akane (June) and Aoi (Santa) Kurashiki. Two of them. Kurashikis.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Wait. That wasn't just a goofy translation thing? I just figured they had another name in the Japanese version. :stare:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Wait. That wasn't just a goofy translation thing? I just figured they had another name in the Japanese version. :stare:

That would be the Myrmidons, who in the Japanese version were called CLAY DOLLS.

You know, like the pharmaceutical company.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Not actually sure if it's true, but the internet's telling me you are scripted to always win the coin toss at the start of the game the first time

So uchikoshi forces you to beat his game before you can play the rest of his game :psyduck:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

Not actually sure if it's true, but the internet's telling me you are scripted to always win the coin toss at the start of the game the first time

So uchikoshi forces you to beat his game before you can play the rest of his game :psyduck:

Funny. Are the other random chances also scripted? I lost the Monty Hall game the first time despite making the correct choice and switching. The dice roll has to be scripted or at least give you much better odds than stated because expecting people to try on average 6x6x6 times is crazy.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

Funny. Are the other random chances also scripted? I lost the Monty Hall game the first time despite making the correct choice and switching. The dice roll has to be scripted or at least give you much better odds than stated because expecting people to try on average 6x6x6 times is crazy.

monty hall has the real odds, dice roll is scripted at three tries, coin flip always wins your first time

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The gun also has the real odds.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Cake Attack posted:

monty hall has the real odds, dice roll is scripted at three tries, coin flip always wins your first time

And I thought that I was actually lucky getting it correct first try. :(

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

WrightOfWay posted:

The gun also has the real odds.

I was beginning to wonder if there was something I was not getting because it took me 9 tries to get the ending where Sigma gets shot.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

13/f/cali posted:

I was beginning to wonder if there was something I was not getting because it took me 9 tries to get the ending where Sigma gets shot.

Yeah, when they first said there would be random things I thought it was probably a bad idea to make 1% of your players have to go through more than 6 times to progress. Having to do 10 tries is 1/512 so I bet we'll hear about someone complaining about that somewhere on the internet, but you'll probably be the longest on these forums (unless there are way more lurkers in this thread than I suspect).

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

This man has a phd in everything.

Very mixed feelings for this game. Sean is great, the ending where he stays behind with Gab really tugged at the old heartstrings although it's kind of weird now that I know there was an evil wrinkly old man just off-camera the whole time. Carlos didn't grab me at first but wound up being great too, laughed my rear end off at his face when 10 months culminating in the biggest gently caress up ever made washed over him, all he wanted was to help out his pals. Finding Perceptive End early was probably my favorite part because I had absolutely no idea what the gently caress had just happened. Akane and Junpei did not need to be in this game and I think it was worse off for it, could not care less if they got together. Disappointed about Kyle since K was one of my favorite characters. Fragment system sucked and it felt like there was no build-up or development because everyone would immediately forget everything. Bummed the team arrangements stayed static because we might have gotten some cool interactions. Characters feel like they weren't explored as much as they should have been, which sucks because I actually liked the new ones. I loved Sigma and Phi in VLR but it felt like a lot of their charm was lost between games, I wouldn't have minded if the cast was all new honestly. Mind hacks were good for a laugh. The climax and ending weren't satisfying and the epilogues read like fanfiction. VLR is still the strongest in the series imo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

yellowyams posted:

Sean is great, the ending where he stays behind with Gab really tugged at the old heartstrings although it's kind of weird now that I know there was an evil wrinkly old man just off-camera the whole time.
He's staying behind for the evil wrinkly old man, not Gab. :ssh:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

voltcatfish posted:

It's rigged so that the true ending where you SHIFT to it flows better. That would be kind of weird if you never actually saw what happened, and therefore didn't know if you could trust Zero to keep his word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you go back and play the decision again after the first rig, does it go back to being a 50/50 chance?

• Locked thread