Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Manatee Cannon posted:

so how is soldier in ptr right now, I haven't looked into it much

S:76 is pretty close to untouched, you just have to relearn how to burst fire his gun. Seems there currently is a weird stuck bloom bug though, but expect that to get fixed.

flashman posted:

Theres a load of things they could do, increase movement speed while aimed, increase his fire rate, go ham and add a slight movement speed debuff to a landed shot, give him bonus damage to armor, whatever

Increasing the velocity of the arrows should counteract the smaller hotboxes by making precision aiming easier. Have Hanzo's arrows do a flat 100 damage with a longer pull time increasing velocity and penetration, allowing him to hit multiple characters in a line. Change scatter shot to doing a maximum of 200 damage to a character it hits, with each shard dealing 50 damage and having several bounces. Add a RMB which allows Hanzo's to shoot a spread of arrows, 50 damage per arrow, with some cooldown, or a different arrowhead that shutdown activated abilities in its radius.

Lots of possibilities for Hanzo's, although I'm kind of partial to a midrange CC Hanzo, as Widow is better pure DPS, and McCree and Ana are better brawlers and utility. I mean poo poo right now Hanzo is objectively worse as a Sniper than McCree right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Dias posted:

I've been kinda solving all my "how do I break out of" questions by just picking Zarya, so pick more Zarya. She's a powerful Russian woman who just sorta needs other people to also do poo poo and feed her charge.

Yeah I really should. Dumb question I'm sure but what is the right way to move her around? Frontline, just behind the frontline building up charge?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
who tryna break the 6 man goon team record of 9 compet wins in a row

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

At the beginning of a match one random player in each team should get the role of team captain. It should come with unique voice lines you can trigger and the power to have full control over the voice chat (muting people etc.). At the end of the round your team decides if you were a good leader or not via vote. Bad leaders and trolls don't get to lead as often etc. Also rewards like hats.

Hey, I like this idea.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I dunno about you guys but for me on console it feels like competitive made the already worse on average console base even shittier in quick play.

I dont always have a group of people on, I'm not very competitive, its a very entirely wipe the other team , or get wiped because your team has 3 widowmakers on attack, im guessing because at some point in COD they were MVP.

It kinda makes it way less fun to pick up and play as before.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm not a GOOD Zarya, but I play her just behind the frontline, sometimes taking point. She's not a solo tank, she's more of a frontline booster that can add to the frontlines after a bit with shield+charged attacks.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

At the beginning of a match one random player in each team should get the role of team captain. It should come with unique voice lines you can trigger and the power to have full control over the voice chat (muting people etc.). At the end of the round your team decides if you were a good leader or not via vote. Bad leaders and trolls don't get to lead as often etc. Also rewards like hats.

That would work super well on console.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah I really should. Dumb question I'm sure but what is the right way to move her around? Frontline, just behind the frontline building up charge?

Find easy sources of charge and then go all in. Zarya lives off momentum. If you push forward, people will have to surrender, or they'll die.

People will back away when they see you at +50 charge

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Dias posted:

I'm not a GOOD Zarya, but I play her just behind the frontline, sometimes taking point. She's not a solo tank, she's more of a frontline booster that can add to the frontlines after a bit with shield+charged attacks.

I feel like she works best as a back pointman.
Kinda just scoping and feeling out the match, popping alt fire and shields until you get powerful enough to pick a target, wipe em out, then return to the back and continue. Her fire depletes so I wouldn't stay in the front unless you're a suicidal lead.

her shields don't work well for a traditional tank and everytime she's alone or in the line of fire you see that her health is tissue paper.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 14, 2016

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
People are focusing almost entirely on Hanzo but this effects all of the projectile characters, who were all pretty much bottom tier already. Except for Roadhog I guess, who's hook apparently is not quite projectile not quite hitscan.

Increasing damage across the board for projectiles isn't a great fix because sure maybe it evens out for the people who had poo poo aim before but it turns into a massive buff for the people who were headshotting accurately already (ie the pros who Blizzard seems very serious about courting).

They could just increase projectile speeds, but then you're making the characters less distinct.

More thoughtful changes will require much more testing than is possible before this current patch goes live. So the likely end result is that the bottom third of your character tier just takes a huge nerf for a while.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zarya's weapon has the longest reach of any tank and her projected barrier encourages her to keep an eye on her allies that are most likely to get in a firefight, i.e. the front line. So she is typically better behind the front line, allowing her to shoot and protect allies without needing to spin around

Once you're at 80+ energy do whatever the gently caress you want

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

It's funny they want tborjns damage nerfed to compensate for console players not being able to aim as well but didn't conversely buff things that are harder to aim.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Hanzo buff: he shoots three arrows at a time now, all in the same direction, and they move in a sick spiral formation roughly the same size as the old hitbox.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Hanzo buff: he shoots three arrows at a time now, all in the same direction, and they move in a sick spiral formation roughly the same size as the old hitbox.

so his primary fire is just helix rockets

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Wait wait they're nerfing hanzo lol?

Is reaper next? Are they working their way down the line of characters every person starting the game uses?

works for me :shrug:

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 14, 2016

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
gently caress buffing Hanzo by messing with his damage - make his other skills cooler. Increase his mobility and lower the cooldown on his vision arrow. Stop trying to make him a better sniper, widow maker will always be better. Make him a more interesting character by buffing the things that actually make him an interesting character that's not just huntsman.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Archer guy is not a sniper

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Brannock posted:

loving Capcom what a worthless shitfuck company that hitbox is 4x as wide as his arm!!

Wanna take a moment of appreciate how silly this post is.

Using an old arcade fighter to defend large hitboxes in a modern FPS. Simply amazing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Something I'm seeing a lot from Ana gameplay videos is people spending very little time in sniper mode. Most are running around shooting her gun like normal. Is there any real advantage besides distance from the battle to be in sniper mode with her?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

It zooms

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Something I'm seeing a lot from Ana gameplay videos is people spending very little time in sniper mode. Most are running around shooting her gun like normal. Is there any real advantage besides distance from the battle to be in sniper mode with her?

isn't that mainly because she doesn't have the ability to get to most sniper perches quickly?

I know most can be accessed by some stairs but a few can't

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Macaluso posted:

the sniper mode is hitscan

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Macaluso posted:

She's a sniper but she doesn't actually have any way to reach sniping perches and also has a grenade built into her kit. So most of the time you get better results playing as her in the mid range rather than from afar, and the scope doesn't help much when you're that close. You really don't want to try and play her as a traditional sniper, which should be obvious but I'm sure people are gonna do that anyways.

Speaking of which, after Widowmaker was nerfed a bunch of people flocked to Hanzo. Now that he's been nerfed as well I'm wondering who they will go for next.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

She's a sniper but she doesn't actually have any way to reach sniping perches and also has a grenade built into her kit. So most of the time you get better results playing as her in the mid range rather than from afar, and the scope doesn't help much when you're that close. You really don't want to try and play her as a traditional sniper, which should be obvious but I'm sure people are gonna do that anyways.

Speaking of which, after Widowmaker was nerfed a bunch of people flocked to Hanzo. Now that he's been nerfed as well I'm wondering who they will go for next.

mccree, naturally

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I say they'll stay hanzo or all go reaper/76.

I've already been on a few 3 reaper teams.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Macaluso posted:

Zoomed shots are hitscan instead of projectile and I believe they did a bit more damage (maybe also healing?) from the 5 minutes I messed with it on the PTR.

Edit: Disregard that, I don't know why I thought I saw a damage difference yesterday but from jumping back on just now it's exactly the same.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 14, 2016

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I played Zenyatta for the first time in competitive mode because people on the other team left and there were only two people remaining, so I figured why not mess around and get some practice. We obviously won but when I check Master Overwatch it says I have a 0-1 win to loss ratio with Zenyatta in comp mode?

How does Master Overwatch determine the win-loss ratios for each hero?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Proposition Joe posted:

I played Zenyatta for the first time in competitive mode because people on the other team left and there were only two people remaining, so I figured why not mess around and get some practice. We obviously won but when I check Master Overwatch it says I have a 0-1 win to loss ratio with Zenyatta in comp mode?

How does Master Overwatch determine the win-loss ratios for each hero?

it senses if you were specifically checking that hero's stats and then stamps you with a big fat L for LOL at you for checking this

also they literally just pull from blizzard's playoverwatch stats so blizzard probably logged you at 1 game played w/ zenny and 0 wins b/c of time spent

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

Wanna take a moment of appreciate how silly this post is.

Using an old arcade fighter to defend large hitboxes in a modern FPS. Simply amazing.

Yeah Super Turbo isn't one of the best regarded fighters or anything. I don't see how its age is relevant.

We had pages of people whining that the arrows "missed" and they still got hit anyway. That's how hitboxes work. Hanzo's old arrows had a large hitbox. If you didn't take damage, that means they missed. If you took damage, they hit. Shrinking the hitbox by over 50% is a huge nerf. It's not a "bugfix". Just because Hanzo's arrows would have looked ridiculous if they were scaled up to visually match doesn't change that the hitbox was the way it was -- this is also why I made the facetious suggestion for the laser sniper who had projectiles actually matching the old hitbox size. Much more visually believable than giant arrows. Or maybe a javelineer?

There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with having large hitboxes for projectiles in a FPS. Again, this game isn't CS:GO. Reinhardt and Genji have gigantic hitboxes with their weapon attacks. People fixated onto Hanzo because bad Hanzos spam nonstop and get lucky shots, and because it's easy to notice "Oh the arrow didn't even land on my head BULLSHIT" and it propagated throughout the community. Something about Hanzo needed to be fixed one way or another (the arrow hitbox, his kit, snipers as a whole, or something else) but at least recognize accurately what the problem is.

Internet Kraken posted:

Genji

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
fyi it's not just targetted towards hanzo, all projectile hitboxes are mostly normalized now (mei2, zen, shurikans, etc) aren't as large. They're now like hitscan hitboxes. And that's a good thing

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Xaris posted:

fyi it's not just targetted towards hanzo, all projectile hitboxes are mostly normalized now (mei2, zen, shurikans, etc) aren't as large. They're now like hitscan hitboxes. And that's a good thing

Hanzo took the most severe hit. Basically everything I'm saying in this thread also applies to the other projectile characters. Projectiles are already at a significant penalty compared to hitscan thanks to travel time, why should they require hitscan precision?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Timboslice posted:

I've noticed every Hanzo player that selects him to a reply of groans of 5 people always have the same spiel.

"Trust me, I'm different"

And then add in a POTG ultimate ontop of a Zarya ult for good measure even though we lost

"lmao you guys said hanzo sucks but seeeeeeeee?"

:allears:

You're cute.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wonder if that hitbox thing is gonna come to console or not. the soldier one probably won't since I don't think what it's trying to fix is even a thing there

it does seem like it only nerfs heroes that don't particularly need a nerf but idk how big a difference it actually makes to anyone not named hanzo

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Brannock posted:

Yeah Super Turbo isn't one of the best regarded fighters or anything. I don't see how its age is relevant.

We had pages of people whining that the arrows "missed" and they still got hit anyway. That's how hitboxes work. Hanzo's old arrows had a large hitbox. If you didn't take damage, that means they missed. If you took damage, they hit. Shrinking the hitbox by over 50% is a huge nerf. It's not a "bugfix". Just because Hanzo's arrows would have looked ridiculous if they were scaled up to visually match doesn't change that the hitbox was the way it was -- this is also why I made the facetious suggestion for the laser sniper who had projectiles actually matching the old hitbox size. Much more visually believable than giant arrows. Or maybe a javelineer?

if the arrow goes a foot to the side of the model, when you are in cover behind a door way it has missed. a javelin or lazer sniper or whatever big projectile , should also miss, because there is nothing there to hit.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

flashman posted:

if the arrow goes a foot to the side of the model, when you are in cover behind a door way it has missed. a javelin or lazer sniper or whatever big projectile , should also miss, because there is nothing there to hit.

I suggest backing up a little bit more from the door edge so the game code doesn't register the hitbox intersecting with the tip of your character's nose or something.

Because of how hitboxes, code, server tick rate, and individual player ping works, these situations aren't going to go away. They'll become less common now with more precise projectiles but you aren't going to be able to fully eliminate them.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo I've typed "hitbox" so many times tonight I can't parse the word anymore.

Cheers friends in this thread, no hard feelings, I hope you enjoyed the argument/discussion, I look forward to Blizzard making further adjustments to keep projectile characters at a reasonable power level without turning them into Lúcio or giving them ridiculous damage or massively buffing other parts of their kit to compensate

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Cheers, hopefully they go full ham and remove the archer and the ninja from the game full stop

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Brannock posted:

I suggest backing up a little bit more from the door edge so the game code doesn't register the hitbox intersecting with the tip of your character's nose or something.

Because of how hitboxes, code, server tick rate, and individual player ping works, these situations aren't going to go away. They'll become less common now with more precise projectiles but you aren't going to be able to fully eliminate them.

https://gfycat.com/RelievedBreakableElver

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Brannock posted:

Because its a loving arcade fighting game and you're comparing it to an FPS. Of course the hitboxes are going to be different in those games, because one doesn't revolve around precise aiming.

quote:

There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with having large hitboxes for projectiles in a FPS. Again, this game isn't CS:GO. Reinhardt and Genji have gigantic hitboxes with their weapon attacks. People fixated onto Hanzo because bad Hanzos spam nonstop and get lucky shots, and because it's easy to notice "Oh the arrow didn't even land on my head BULLSHIT" and it propagated throughout the community. Something about Hanzo needed to be fixed one way or another (the arrow hitbox, his kit, snipers as a whole, or something else) but at least recognize accurately what the problem is.

We knew projectiles having a large hitbox wasn't a bug. It was an intentional design decision, but a stupid one. Getting shot behind cover because your hitbox is magically way bigger for certain attacks is dumb. A character that is classified as a sniper, a class that should be only effective with precise aim, having generous hitboxes is absurdly stupid and I'm baffled they thought it was a good design choice. Some of the projectile classes may need buffs to compensate for this change, but the end result should be better than what we had now. The reason people fixated on Hanzo so much is that because he is a sniper with high damage shots, the extremely generous hitboxes did way more for him than any other projectile hero.

You're not a special butterfly that is smarter than the rest of us; we know the inflated hitboxes were an intentional design decision. We just recognize that it was a stupid one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Literally all I care about :toot:

You know how I was talking about Sombra being an omnic?

What if Sombra is that white Omnice just behind Winston and Tracer?

Everyone is saying Ana fits the profile of the image found in El Dorado - however, the legs on the image in El Dorado look like an omnics, and it would make sense to keep her cloaked if it's an Omnic in hiding. Protocol: Sombra would make sense, too, if it's referring to "turning on" a defensive Omnic in response to whatever the gently caress is going on.

Also, you can't see the arms in the image of Sombra in El Dorado, either.