Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Speaking of CCO, I have a mod that lets me smelt a silver ring into 4 ingots, and (I'm assuming) another mod that let's me make a silver ring with 3 ingots. Any way for me to track what causes this, other than going through all my esps that might be related to crafting, smelting, ingots, and possibly jewelry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
In your shoes, I would load up only the mods that could plausibly affect crafting recipes and look at the COBJ records, specifically for silver rings. Then you can copy the record into a patch and change the number of bars required.

eta: So if by "going through" you meant this, then no, can't think of another way. But you can search for any records with silver ring references, which I think the recipes would show up for.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

hampig posted:

the things that have stopping me trying out Requiem, the other is that it removes the single best thing about Skyrim that sets it apart from other games

You can still mod tiny dick helmets into Requiem, if that's what you mean. You'll just need a patch.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is it okay to ask about Oblivion here?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a lightweight mod that just stops bandits from leveling and delevs loot (with best versions available only) without changing up much else.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is it okay to ask about Oblivion here?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a lightweight mod that just stops bandits from leveling and delevs loot (with best versions available only) without changing up much else.

Not sure just how lightweight it is anymore but Francesco’s has a leveled monsters/items mod which should be what you are looking for in terms of leveled lists.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

Oh, uh... sorry? I was pretty much just saying that I hadn't used any others but it added a ton of variety already, which was mostly because I was lazy.

All the ones I linked on the main description page are nice. The two EggOver (aka, me) packs focus on DLC creatures, but if you only grab one pack that's linked there, make it Aeternus Atronachs. Those are freaking great, and actually useful during the game being able to tell who's summon is whose. I honestly like all those packs. I keep meaning to bring up some stuff for the OP on steam, but :effort: and Shadow of Mordor keep interfering.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
My dearest Whizbang

Days have gone by now without your enlightening presence. The community mourns, though some wonder if your return is imminent. I used modwatch and didn't experience the burning sensation you indicated would result. Am curious why?

Your eternal partner in love,
Apoplexy

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

GunnerJ posted:

This has been answered but I never pass up a chance to post a novajam video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4UZBwp7nTk

By the way, this loving owns. 4:30 especially.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
As amusing as it it to watch e-drama unfold while sitting on the sidelines with a bag of popcorn, why not try to keep that out of the thread and contained to PMs? poo poo like this isn't doing the thread much good.

As for Modwat.ch: Both the application and the site are open source. I've dug around in it and couldn't find anything bad. Nor could I find any other accusation about it spreading malware. :shrug: It's safe to use as far as I can tell.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Without feeding any ~drama~ I would still like to know the basis of that accusation, but until someone explains, I'm going to keep my recommendation in the new OP.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Please do. There's only one random troll of a goon who claims it's dirty, and a rather large userbase including Thallassa and other important Skyrim modders that use it.

Bee tee dubs, appreciate turning me on to novajam. His FO4 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdcDg3Z8c8I is way better than actually playing the game.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 13, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Is FO4 really that bad? I see the power armor segments and getting instinctively pumped for power armor to really matter again.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Novajam videos make me so happy.

They're all wonderful.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Well, it's not GOOD. I wouldn't call it bad, but it's no New Vegas. And with New Vegas in existence, a mediocre FO4 is really pointless.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Is FO4 really that bad? I see the power armor segments and getting instinctively pumped for power armor to really matter again.

You can hear the phrase "War Never Changes" up to four times in the first 10-15 minutes of the game.

Also it's way more of a "theme park" game compared to New Vegas, in that you have a lot of locations that don't really connect with the rest of the game.

I'd say it's got some nice engine improvements over NV, but it's also got a lot more Emil Pagliarulo.

Take that as you will.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The main theme's leitmotif plays about 500 times a session, too, as was mentioned by novajam in the video. If you played it, you'd know exactly what I mean. Although I do say, the Fallout 4 main menu music is really loving good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOKjUfMPe0

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 13, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Also it's way more of a "theme park" game compared to New Vegas, in that you have a lot of locations that don't really connect with the rest of the game.
I haven't played FO4 yet, but this sounds like it basically has the same problem FO3 had?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
To be fair to FO4, I'd say the actual combat gameplay is way more enjoyable than any of Bethesda's past FO and TES games. I mean that's not really much of an accomplishment and it's still garbage compared to like uh any other game but hey.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Raygereio posted:

I haven't played FO4 yet, but this sounds like it basically has the same problem FO3 had?

Yeah, basically.

The settlement mechanic helps a bit since you can get some basic trade routes via provisioners and such, but there's just so much stuff that doesn't connect with the main story or factions at all. It's just there.

And this might just be me, but the "Location with cool Quest"-to-"Lootstash with minimal backstory"-ratio was so skewed I felt as if I had to ration the quests out between loot runs to avoid running out of interesting stuff to do before I had explored even half of the locations in the game.

There's just so many places that exist solely for getting more building materials.

I never actually got around to finishing the game, I think it overloaded the compulsive completionist part of my brain.

I still might go back to it one day, but it's not a game I actually miss playing. That honestly feels pretty damning.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

To be fair to FO4, I'd say the actual combat gameplay is way more enjoyable than any of Bethesda's past FO and TES games. I mean that's not really much of an accomplishment and it's still garbage compared to like uh any other game but hey.

And yeah, the combat is way better, though there's way too few actual guns. Not to mention the lack of unique ones.

Oh and the new ghouls are pretty great.

Basically all Fallout 4 needs to be unequivocally good is better writing and worldbuilding. And a less tightly defined protagonist.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Apoplexy posted:

Well, it's not GOOD. I wouldn't call it bad, but it's no New Vegas. And with New Vegas in existence, a mediocre FO4 is really pointless.

Totally not emptyquoting.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The combat is good, at least compared to other TES and FO games, but the story and character building choices are loving awful compared to NV. I can deal with little choice in the story for Skyrim, but not having any choice to use my skills besides Speech in dialogue sucked rear end in FO4. It was very disappointing.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mr E posted:

The combat is good, at least compared to other TES and FO games, but the story and character building choices are loving awful compared to NV. I can deal with little choice in the story for Skyrim, but not having any choice to use my skills besides Speech in dialogue sucked rear end in FO4. It was very disappointing.

Bethesda really dropped the ball by letting Obsidian make a Fallout game, didn't they.

After all, if New Vegas had never been made, Fallout 4 wouldn't be so underwhelming.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

Bethesda really dropped the ball by letting Obsidian make a Fallout game, didn't they.

After all, if New Vegas had never been made, Fallout 4 wouldn't be so underwhelming.

Yabut them metacritic scores.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

FO4's not as good as NV, but it's still a fine FO game in its own right. It's been long enough since NV that it's scratching the itch. (I loved both 3 and NV, but NV a little more, for perspective.)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I just want somebody to port all of FNV to the F4 engine, TTW style.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Roadie posted:

I just want somebody to port all of FNV to the F4 engine, TTW style.

TTW wasn't REALLY porting between engines though, they were similar enough that FNV's engine could kinda recognize FO3's assets. FO4 did what bethesda usually does between games and that's rename every variable and tag because :shrug:

one can dream though
or just let obsidian make a new fallout

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

People make it sound worse then it is, I ignored the main story and very much enjoyed the whole thing, the main story was as usual bad (I still haven't gone further then probably 20% towards the main story after hundreds of hours) but the little stories you could pick up from audiologs/journals/NPC dialogue from a little side area was great, combat was good, power armor was unique and lived up to the name, exploration was great and I liked the minecraft build your home thing even if it was a bit shallow without the mods to come.

The engine was a big improvement in various areas and I never knew how much a improvement it was to not pause the game while looting stuff.

Speaking of which, thinking of going through skyrim again and did a quick google for fast looting and found this mod http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mod...review%3D&pUp=1

Does it work well? or are there other mods that do the same thing better?

And one last question, are there any mod packs or easy to parse lists of all the "must-have" mods these days? haven't seen whats come out or been updated in the last year or two and I'm curious if there has been anything big or new, I last played trying out requiem 1.8 but there are probably updates to it or a more popular overhaul mod.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Speaking of which, thinking of going through skyrim again and did a quick google for fast looting and found this mod http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mod...review%3D&pUp=1

Does it work well? or are there other mods that do the same thing better?

And one last question, are there any mod packs or easy to parse lists of all the "must-have" mods these days? haven't seen whats come out or been updated in the last year or two and I'm curious if there has been anything big or new, I last played trying out requiem 1.8 but there are probably updates to it or a more popular overhaul mod.

that mod owns, no there's nothing like it, just use it its fantastic

2nd question: no, modpacks don't exist because :can: also modders are babies, Ordinator is a new perk overhaul that adds a ton of real interesting sometimes useless or broken good but at the very least INTERESTING perks, Requiem is bad and has always been bad.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Quick Loot is really good, but it's a little unstable, so save often if you do use it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mortimer posted:

Ordinator is a new perk overhaul that adds a ton of real interesting sometimes useless or broken good but at the very least INTERESTING perks
Yeah, it's popular for basically the same reason SkyRe and PerMa are popular (perks that do interesting/kooky/eye-grabbing stuff instead of just more numbers), except that Ordinator doesn't require loving around with a whole game overhaul and SkyProc patchers all the time like SkyRe and PerMa do. You can use ASIS with it to give enemies some of those perks, but you don't have to since they'll churn along fine with the vanilla perks that are just set invisible to the player.

For a couple of fun examples from Ordinator, with Smithing you can make pop-up turrets that will shoot at things for you, with Speech you can perform for NPCs to get gold from them, with Alteration you can switch to running on D&D-style spell slots instead of using magicka, and with Archery you can disarm enemies at short range by shooting them in the middle of an attack.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone of you tried playing with "The People of Skyrim"? (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72449/)

I'm looking to spice up my 1800th hour of Skyrim with some new sights, but i'm always vary about mods with loads of changes so wanna hear some trip reports if there are any.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

NuclearPotato posted:

Quick Loot is really good, but it's a little unstable, so save often if you do use it.

Yeah, I love it, but I finally had to ditch it. It would go a long time without so much as a hiccup, and then one CTD right after another. The final straw was when I tried to travel from Dragon Bridge to Markarth past that Forsworn redoubt or whatever that's right on top of the road. The game would CTD when I killed the woman patrolling at ground level every time, if the crosshair so much as touched her after she collapsed. No idea what it was about her that Quick Loot couldn't handle. I could activate it again now, and things would probably be fine. It just seems like it's a few percentage points below the threshold of being worth the trouble.

When it's working, it's hard to imagine why Bethesda didn't implement it as part of the core interface. You can kill a bandit, strip him while the next one starts to charge, then cut off the new challenger's head. All before he can he finish yelling, "you'll be so much easier to rob when you're dead."

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Oh hells yeah, nothing gets me harder than finding out that I unknowingly did something 3 hours ago that totally broke some poo poo and that because of that I get to play through the latter parts of the Thieves Guild questline again and listen to Brynjolf and the elf broad babble about some dumb poo poo. gently caress it's like I created my own personal hell. :suicide:

Why the hell do dwemer ruins have to be so long poo poo

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
This may be old news, but some of the crashiness has been fixed, APPARENTLY, in Quick Loot with the newer version and the ability to set an upper limit on items listed in Quick Loot's window. It happens to fix that issue where looking at a certain corpse, undoubtedly loaded down with poo poo to wear and break down and sell, crashes your game.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Dongattack posted:

Anyone of you tried playing with "The People of Skyrim"? (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72449/)

I'm looking to spice up my 1800th hour of Skyrim with some new sights, but i'm always vary about mods with loads of changes so wanna hear some trip reports if there are any.

I'm actually using this for the first time right now and I really like it. I haven't had any trouble with it as far I can tell. I use it with JK's Skyrim and they both work very well alongside one another. It's nice to see the stretches of empty land getting some habitation and improvements to some of the weaker settlements as well. I used to use Inconsequential NPCs but I never really felt like it had an impact on my game whereas The People of Skyrim does more than just add NPCs.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Who wants to join in on some Arthmoor hate? He apparently prefers the completely loving worthless Wrye Bash to Mator Smash in Skyrim. Talk about unable to adjust to changing circumstances. BUT WRYE BASH WAS THE THING I USED IN OBLIVION, IT MUST BE FULLY-FUNCTIONAL AND NOT AT ALL BROKEN IN SKYRIM!

edit with a link: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/4paz1d/wrye_bashed_patch_vs_mator_smash/ Here he's being really stupid.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 14, 2016

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
PerMa is weird because you really need to be a 10 hour modder to make it work or even have the desire to make it work, but if you're a 10 hour modder you're going to be running that loving patcher 20 times before you play, making you a 20 hour modder. You really have to be completely done with your load order before playing it. It has some really cool perks, though. Conjuration was particularly fun, as I recall.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Also, the only quick loot you need is Loot Magnet from Apocalypse. As if anyone has ever left loot behind.

If you're not surrounded by two dozen corpses in their undies after a battle then you're not really living, are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

This may be old news, but some of the crashiness has been fixed, APPARENTLY, in Quick Loot with the newer version and the ability to set an upper limit on items listed in Quick Loot's window. It happens to fix that issue where looking at a certain corpse, undoubtedly loaded down with poo poo to wear and break down and sell, crashes your game.
The operative word is "apparently", I think. I downloaded the latest version a month or so ago, and there were no new updates, last I checked. My particular Forsworn had 5-6 items on her, including equipment, which is about typical.

I'd still recommend trying the mod. My issue may well be a fight between Quick Loot and one of the other SKSE extensions I have installed. For example, I know Crash Fixes has its claws in some of the lower level text routines, and it sounds like Quick Loot might hook into that as well. Regardless, enabling and disabling Quick Loot was the only thing that made a noticeable change for me.

Fake edit: Reloaded the save I made a few steps before that encounter. With Quick Loot on, and default options, immediate crash. Quick Loot uninstalled, fine. Quick Loot + bDisableInCombat=1: I can view her inventory, but the game crashes immediately on closing out of it. Although, the dopes in that fortress tend to notice the player and run inside in an effort to reach them, so combat may have ended coincidentally. Quick Loot + bDisableInCombat=1 + iItemLimit=4 (or just less than the number of items in her inventory): No problems. Even if combat ended while staring at the corpse, and Quick Loot's panel came up fine once I looted enough to put the corpse below the limit, and closed the vanilla menu.

Not exactly sure what the author considers "many items", and right before that save, I had looted a bunch of bandits, and a random, dead Vigilant who had more items than this Forsworn, but this might be a good workaround. I don't mind so much having to loot people I've killed the old fashioned way, if I can still have Quick Loot running for all the urns and prop corpses I want to hit for Septims and gems.

• Locked thread