Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I can't see anyone on that HHOP panel being gauche enough to be like "spirits don't exist and you're an idiot," which would cause its own stack of problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

I can't see anyone on that HHOP panel being gauche enough to be like "spirits don't exist and you're an idiot," which would cause its own stack of problems.

Agreed. A casual conversation is not the place to pick fights over potentially deeply-held beliefs. There are a lot of topics that do not have clean outcomes and can quickly boil over despite good intentions from everyone involved.

This is why AP Mike's controversial tweets from a few weeks back were not directly discussed on the show. An actual on-air argument between Tom and Mike about the role of a particular religion in terrorist attacks would have caused a huge rift in the listenership and would have possibly led to Mike's early retirement from the show.

Instead, Tom brought up the situation indirectly through his monologues and his reiteration that The Best Show has always been about inclusivity. There was even a cathartic conclusion to the show when Tom sang "Somewhere Only We Know."

Tom set the terms for peace and avoided a war.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The internet is exploding with hot takes about Durant right now and Tom's is the only one I'm remotely interested in hearing.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/scharpling/status/750032673184354304

Weird. I remember him being pretty into Durant. Guess the last few playoffs have changed that.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dr.Radical posted:

https://twitter.com/scharpling/status/750032673184354304

Weird. I remember him being pretty into Durant. Guess the last few playoffs have changed that.

I think his hatred for the Watriors trumps all.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I'm pretty sure that's just him trolling Warriors fans again, Tom knows Durant gets to the line a bunch.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Avalanche Bob is a treasure

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

SoupyTwist posted:

Avalanche Bob is a treasure
Tom casually mentioning the NWA's tribute to Our Heroes in Blue was pretty great.

Also Fred from Honolulu getting btfo by Tom was amazing.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

This game is some classic Best Show weirdness.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Seltzer posted:

I'll just repost this

During the Paul Rudd interview Tom actually sounded uncomfortable and out of character, it was weird. I don't really have an opinion on hayes but I'm against the type/amount of guests in general. Have there been any good Wurster calls lately, I've really checked out on the show for awhile and the last good one I remember was the baseball drug racket call.

Lastly I don't know poo poo about music yet I find the Wurster calls hilarious, I don't think that's a prerequisite at all and I don't know how you can listen to the Best Show and not enjoy Wurster phone ins.

Wurster doesnt call in for a while, because he was on tour with his band, but he comes back in the episode with tim heidecker and has been in every week since, and his calls have been fantastic. I love his use of the word 'flagrant'.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Earwolf/comments/4rk080/my_name_is_tom_scharpling_of_the_best_show_ask_me/

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

oh god make this happen please

quote:

[–]RobespierreY2K
If you could have any current NBA player as a guest on the show, who would it be?

[–]TheTomScharpling
DEMARCUS COUSINS

Actually, with his past jobs as a basketball writer, it's pretty amazing that he's never had a player on the show in 15 years. Especially after Gethard got John Starks on his show.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 7, 2016

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Yetta died :(

@juliefromcinci posted:

Just had to say goodbye to the best dog in the world.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The Bunk posted:

Yetta died :(

:(

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I love whatever magic spell Julie Klausner casts on Tom when she's on, he's always 200% funnier when she's around for some reason.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

They're friends and Tom always tends to be funnier / more comfortable talking to his friends than when he has random people on he has to actually interview.

But yeah, she always brings out the best in Tom. That episode where they go off on Jim Morrison is probably the one I've relistened to the most from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsLf2KFgMt8

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The last ten minutes of this week's episode with the Woody Allen riffing was so stupid and amazing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Avalanche Bob and the talkbot guy really need to go away forever. They have to be the worst regulars in as long as I've been listening.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

NESguerilla posted:

Avalanche Bob and the talkbot guy really need to go away forever. They have to be the worst regulars in as long as I've been listening.

What, you didn't like his well timed tribute to cops?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Avalanche Bob was funny the first time. If it was 6 months between calls it would be one thing but every week is no good.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

BigFactory posted:

Avalanche Bob was funny the first time. If it was 6 months between calls it would be one thing but every week is no good.

Agreed. I would love it if Bob called in maybe like 3 times a year. Robot voice guy has sucked ever since he started calling imho

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

talkbot guy is still funny to me

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Avalanche Bob was fun for about half of his first phone call

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

This finally got me to check out Difficult People and the first two episodes this season are super great.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I really hope that Pokemon section ends up on youtube.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I'm still in to Avalanche Bob, but it's directly related to how much Tom gets angry or messes with him. That said, as a weekly caller he's not great. A few weeks between calls would be nice.

I don't hate robot caller as an actual caller, but I do hate how much he slows the show down with downtime.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Asnorban posted:

I'm still in to Avalanche Bob, but it's directly related to how much Tom gets angry or messes with him. That said, as a weekly caller he's not great. A few weeks between calls would be nice.

Yeah, every time I start getting tired of Avalanche Bob, Tom drops a subtle joke about NWA's "tribute to our heroes", or something more overt like duet last week and I am right back on board.

quote:

I don't hate robot caller as an actual caller, but I do hate how much he slows the show down with downtime.

Nah, he's also an awful caller. Like, he can't even bring it in terms of material. If he weren't a robot he'd be getting GOMP'd instantly most of the time.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Avalanche Bob is the first A-Grade weirdo who has found the non-WFMU Best Show. The fact that he's realized he can use the show to promote his poo poo and keeps calling a little too often doesn't really detract from that for me.

Tom is in the loving With Him phase now, if he keeps calling this often he'll graduate to the Making Fun Of Him / Hanging Up On Him phase, like Spike or any of the other past weirdo regulars.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i found robo call guy's twitter a couple months ago and he is definitely severely disabled but woo boy is he unfunny.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Illinois Smith posted:

Avalanche Bob is the first A-Grade weirdo who has found the non-WFMU Best Show. The fact that he's realized he can use the show to promote his poo poo and keeps calling a little too often doesn't really detract from that for me.

Tom is in the loving With Him phase now, if he keeps calling this often he'll graduate to the Making Fun Of Him / Hanging Up On Him phase, like Spike or any of the other past weirdo regulars.

Yeah, I totally agree with this assessment. It kind of brings up a good point, how many of you would not like Spike if he found the show and started calling in now instead of being a classic Best Show weirdo?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I'm also confused about what is not to like about WICKATICKAWACKATACKAAWOOOOOOOOOYODELEYHIHOOOORICKATAKAWAKATAKAYEAH

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Thom and the Heads posted:

i found robo call guy's twitter a couple months ago and he is definitely severely disabled but woo boy is he unfunny.

Yeah, I don't think he's a fake at all, I just think he's boring. Like, he spent three weeks just trying to cajole tom into hanging up on him properly.

Pretty much the only call of his I enjoyed was the week that Prince died when everyone from Minneapolis was calling to share Prince stories. He was all right that week.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dr.Radical posted:

Yeah, I totally agree with this assessment. It kind of brings up a good point, how many of you would not like Spike if he found the show and started calling in now instead of being a classic Best Show weirdo?

I only started listening with the new version of the show, so I've never heard a Spike call from the classic era. He comes off as just another caller, except Tom already knows him.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

hooooo boy

There's a pretty great Spike stretch where he keeps talking about this book he's writing / about to publish called Weirdos Exposed. Tom keeps pestering him about details or excerpts with Spike just making vague excuses. Then after about six months he finally got him to admit that he made the whole thing up. It was gloriously awkward.

Also even besides that the guy was just a mess of weird tics, half-jokes and stilted ways of talking, he absolutely wasn't just another regular.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

hooooo boy

There's a pretty great Spike stretch where he keeps talking about this book he's writing / about to publish called Weirdos Exposed. Tom keeps pestering him about details or excerpts with Spike just making vague excuses. Then after about six months he finally got him to admit that he made the whole thing up. It was gloriously awkward.

Also even besides that the guy was just a mess of weird tics, half-jokes and stilted ways of talking, he absolutely wasn't just another regular.

Right, that's my point. I get that he's a guy with severe History, just that there's none of it in the current run.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
There's a new Flash show with John Wesley Shipp in it and I would love to hear Spike's thoughts on it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The part where Spike is "reading" from Weirdos Exposed has to be one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

I guess I like spike because he gave tons of stuff to Tom for him to rip on. Sex predator jokes etc. Avalanche Bob is just super annoying. He's not even that weird outside of his dumb yodeling punk thing.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
I get kind of annoyed by him talking over Tom but I also thing his dumb yodel thing is funny. I'd be fine with him continuing to call in, but itd be nice if it was less often.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Should we maybe consider a new thread, considering the OP is massively outdated and the guy has hosed off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I'm a little behind, but Dania was right. They really need to get a compressor so I can stop having to turn my stereo up 10 db just to hear. It wouldn't be $20k either, what the hell Dudio.