Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

anthonypants posted:

I guess he wanted to battle because he came up at me with a knife," said Baker.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lancemantis posted:

autistic man trains while playing pokemon go

:toot: :toot:

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

lol

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I've honestly met more cool chicks while filling out my Pokedex than I have in a year+ of Tinder. :cabot:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i met a cool couple and a few neighbors, its super effective

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

i do not play the ingress for children game

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's better than ingress for autists (ingress)

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

it's better than ingress for autists (ingress)

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Version 11 of Android's default messaging app adds the ability to send video messages, but it removes the ability to display SMS and IM messages in a single conversation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that's to prep users for removing SMS from it entirely.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
you just don't understand their advanced strategy of no steps forward two steps back

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

Version 11 of Android's default messaging app adds the ability to send video messages, but it removes the ability to display SMS and IM messages in a single conversation.

"Nobody I can think of even uses sms anyway" -some guy in the south bay

"what the gently caress is wrong with you people" -one point six billion people

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

We announced a new video messaging app at i/o an entire month ago, so we're about due for another completely different and mutually incompatible one. It only makes sense we'd add a video messaging feature to an existing sms app (of course while removing part of the sms functionality at the same time).

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SolTerrasa posted:

We announced a new video messaging app at i/o an entire month ago, so we're about due for another completely different and mutually incompatible one. It only makes sense we'd add a video messaging feature to an existing sms app (of course while removing part of the sms functionality at the same time).

gotta make room for features somewhere!

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
i don't get googs messaging poo poo. gchat circa 2k6 was needs-suiting. it was nice at the time because I think you could use aim with it, which meant everyone could finally uninstall aim or trillian or whatever.

the names keep getting dumber and dumber too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I doesn't really matter though since only nexuses and maybe mirrors Moto's use hangouts as default and no one buys these

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im having a noice chat on hangouts righgt now -- usin the Big Computer like a baws

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Syncs across all devices? mmm hmmm

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Smythe posted:

Syncs across all devices? mmm hmmm

literally my only chat dream ty google

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

i don't get googs messaging poo poo.

Lots of people accuse Google of letting our org structure leak into our products. I think this is that. There's nobody at Google with the power / mandate to say "Jesus Christ stop making so many drat messaging apps" but there's a lot of people with the power to say "you know, hangouts kind of sucks, but I am smart and handsome, I bet I can make a good version of it. Plus if we made a good messaging app I'd probably be rich and famous".

You know Zawinski's Law? "Every program attempts to expand until it can read email. Those programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can." It's kind of like that but with managers and messaging apps.

SolTerrasa fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 14, 2016

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
to be clear, if my current hangouts install still combines hangouts+sms, I should never upgrade it?

e: i use google voice all the time so i'm avoiding leaving hangouts until another app integrates all three

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

i don't get googs messaging poo poo. gchat circa 2k6 was needs-suiting. it was nice at the time because I think you could use aim with it, which meant everyone could finally uninstall aim or trillian or whatever.

the names keep getting dumber and dumber too.
gchat circa 2006 was xmpp, and xmpp is pretty bad

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

SolTerrasa posted:

Lots of people accuse Google of letting our org structure leak into our products. I think this is that. There's nobody at Google with the power / mandate to say "Jesus Christ stop making so many drat messaging apps" but there's a lot of people with the power to say "you know, hangouts kind of sucks, but I am smart and handsome, I bet I can make a good version of it. Plus if we made a good messaging app I'd probably be rich and famous".

You know Zawinski's Law? "Every program attempts to expand until it can read email. Those programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can." It's kind of like that but with exec fiefdoms and messaging apps.

there is a person named nick fox and his job was to come in to messaging and do exactly this and he was the one who made the decision to make the two new apps hth

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

there is a person named nick fox and his job was to come in to messaging and do exactly this and he was the one who made the decision to make the two new apps hth

Jesus that makes even less sense than I thought.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

I was trying to list all of them earlier and I learned about some new ones that I had only vaguely heard of.

We got:
Allo for text messaging over data
Duo for 1:1 video calls
Hangouts for text messages over data that don't work very well, many:many video calls that are really good, also sms but only in some versions, phone calls (but only from the web, right?), some other stuff
Hangouts Dialer which does phone calls from Android
Google voice which does phone calls from Android, and also sms but only in some versions
Project Fi for phone calls and phone service and whatnot.
Messenger for sms
Spaces for... Link sharing? I'm actually not sure what spaces is for
YouTube Messenger for text messaging but only about YouTube videos

Did I miss any? I guess there's also like a million ways you can use Google apps to send text messages: direct messages in google+, comments in sheets, docs and slides, and so on, but then you're getting pretty far afield from "messaging apps".

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Google Wave

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

:rip:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SolTerrasa posted:

I was trying to list all of them earlier and I learned about some new ones that I had only vaguely heard of.

We got:
Allo for text messaging over data
Duo for 1:1 video calls
Hangouts for text messages over data that don't work very well, many:many video calls that are really good, also sms but only in some versions, phone calls (but only from the web, right?), some other stuff
Hangouts Dialer which does phone calls from Android
Google voice which does phone calls from Android, and also sms but only in some versions
Project Fi for phone calls and phone service and whatnot.
Messenger for sms
Spaces for... Link sharing? I'm actually not sure what spaces is for
YouTube Messenger for text messaging but only about YouTube videos

Did I miss any? I guess there's also like a million ways you can use Google apps to send text messages: direct messages in google+, comments in sheets, docs and slides, and so on, but then you're getting pretty far afield from "messaging apps".

g+ messenger

yes this was a separate thing for g+

no i only heard about it

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

g+ messenger

yes this was a separate thing for g+

no i only heard about it

Wait that wasn't that a frontend for hangouts? Fuzzy Mammal help us out here. I swear I remember receiving G+ messenger messages in hangouts but maybe I'm thinking of something else.

e: got it, https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1304763?hl=en, Progressive JPEG was right.

quote:

Messenger has moved to Hangouts, and as of August 8, 2013, Messenger has been removed from the Google+ mobile apps.

SolTerrasa fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 14, 2016

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Now that I think about it I guess I kind of get it: Hangouts is getting kind of old and the brand doesn't really work for young people, so you invent some new brands for the new shiny functionality. But you can't kill the old brands, because if you kill the old brands people get mad (aren't people still mad about GTalk, the last time google did this?). I guess you could choose to not do anything, just leave Hangouts like it is, but the features in Allo are actually genuinely pretty cool and it would suck not to have people use them. So you end up choosing the lesser of two evils: a pile of apps that have overlapping functionality. So I guess probably nobody's dumb or evil or self-aggrandizing, they just make the best of a situation that they found themselves in.

Allo is Hangouts for non-corporate / young people with shiny new features
Duo is Hangouts video calling for non-corporate / young people
Hangouts Dialer is that way because of the Intents system on Android
Fi is something completely different and needed its own app for customer service anyway
Messenger... no idea. It's probably important to have an app that doesn't depend on google play services so people can reliably use AOSP??? I'm not sure.
Hell even Spaces is probably for some obtuse corporate use cases that don't come up in the general public; maybe in a year it'll have only a few users but they'll all be really rabid.

YouTube Messenger is kind of hard to defend but I dunno, I assume someone did market research and decided it was a good idea.

I guess that's probably a bad post for the Google Thread but I dunno, maybe it all kind of makes sense if you squint.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hangouts was meant to subsume gchat, g+ messenger, and some third thing that i cant remember

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

maybe it was buzz

lmao

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
apple: makes imessage, which integrates messaging for the iphone and macintosh, making SMSs, MMSs, and imessages seamless
google: releases phone with several messaging apps, none of which incorporate all the functionality of the others and some of which have a dubious future
google: "why won't people use our app? maybe we don't have enough of them"

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I love & wish I had imessage because it looks really loving good. but at the same time I hate it because I don't have it and people have shamed me for my blue colored texts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

even more shameful: you don't know what color your scrub tier android shows up as

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

google, having perfected the immortality serum and all manner of autonomous machinery realizes that they are about to inflict upon humanity a horrifying loss of purpose; they fret for some time before larry comes up with the solution: "how about we have everyone just juggle an infinite series of incompatible messaging applications for the rest of eternity?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
in 2124 nsa is disbanded because they don't have the resources to monitor all the different messaging services google continues to create. 15% of all sunlight hitting the earth is used to power them.

it's the messagingularity

• Locked thread