Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

im pooping! posted:

wtf arkham city is basically the perfect game
I don't think the semi-open-world design helps. Asylum is the stronger game because of this. City is open, but most of your buildings and objectives have one entrance, so you spend a lot of time looking for the right part of a building to actually get in. Also the plot's a mess and the final fight is anti-climactic.

The predator sections are still good, though. There's just too much stuff in between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't think the semi-open-world design helps. Asylum is the stronger game because of this. City is open, but most of your buildings and objectives have one entrance, so you spend a lot of time looking for the right part of a building to actually get in. Also the plot's a mess and the final fight is anti-climactic.

The predator sections are still good, though. There's just too much stuff in between them.

The endgame having a sniper on every other roof brought it down a lot too I felt.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't agree here. City has a good blend of open-world encounters and linear levels; any fight or encounter in the overworld allows you to approach it in pretty much whichever way you want, which is especially great in the exterior predator sections. Interior sections are great too because they're more tightly constructed, but obviously have a shorter list of correct ways to clear them.

Asylum is extremely good but I like City just as much because it expanded and developed on the mechanics introduced in Asylum, and was a little more challenging. If they made a new game with the Metroidvania-lite elements that made Asylum so good it would be the perfect Arkham game.

Everything since City has suffered from drowning in feature creep and moving further and further away from what made the first two games good, and just generally less tight design overall.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The game could stand to have 300 less Riddler trophies to collect. I don't know where the Riddler gets the time and capital to make these puzzles he hopes Batman won't solve.

The Arkham games really turned me off Batman as a serious character. He beats up and locks away the bad guys, yes, but he never considers a more permanent solution to Gotham's super-villain problem. He doesn't fight crime because he hates crime, he does it to feed his ego as a "hero". When Batman's gone Gotham will still be the same mess.

The Witcher 3
had a nice scene where you get called out for your short-term heroism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rdQu1Xx4L4

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

FactsAreUseless posted:

i think it's a good expansion on asylum's design in terms of combat and stealth, but the layout of the world makes it kinda tedious to traverse because there's no fast travel option once you've explored the entire region.

some of the riddles that require you to line up question marks or take snapshots of the background can get obtuse with their hints.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The game could stand to have 300 less Riddler trophies to collect. I don't know where the Riddler gets the time and capital to make these puzzles he hopes Batman won't solve.

The Arkham games really turned me off Batman as a serious character. He beats up and locks away the bad guys, yes, but he never considers a more permanent solution to Gotham's super-villain problem. He doesn't fight crime because he hates crime, he does it to feed his ego as a "hero". When Batman's gone Gotham will still be the same mess.

The Witcher 3
had a nice scene where you get called out for your short-term heroism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rdQu1Xx4L4

i could forgive the staggering number of riddler trophies as a testament to nigma's obsession with his gimmick if his sidequest wasn't tied to collecting all of his trophies.

i like how city addresses that batman's code may be part of the problem. the way he carries joker at the end mirrors the painting in catwoman's intro of cain and abel: the duality of man. batman can't live without someone like joker to fight. it's rocksteady's version of what the nolan films say about batman.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
While yes batman is definately mentally ill it's not like the franchise never addresses this fact.

Bruce Wayne also does do a lot of philanthropy but Gotham is just so rotten it's a drop in the bucket.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

While yes batman is definately mentally ill it's not like the franchise never addresses this fact.

Bruce Wayne also does do a lot of philanthropy but Gotham is just so rotten it's a drop in the bucket.
the moral of Batman is basically that poor people are intrinsically evil, new money is immoral and corruptible and only aristocratic feudalism can save us from capitalism's corrupt excesses. This goes from subtext to being the actual, literal plot in Dark Knight Rises, but hey.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
youre talking about a comic book you dumb dildos

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the moral of Batman is basically that poor people are intrinsically evil, new money is immoral and corruptible and only aristocratic feudalism can save us from capitalism's corrupt excesses. This goes from subtext to being the actual, literal plot in Dark Knight Rises, but hey.

even more specifically I'm pretty sure TDKR was literally Nolan's response to Occupy Wall Street

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Dark Knight Rises came out ten months after Occupy began.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

even more specifically I'm pretty sure TDKR was literally Nolan's response to Occupy Wall Street
it definitely was. Between Bane as an ambiguously foreign terrorist manipulating the dumb evil poors into disliking the noble elite, the stupid corrupt new money people dying because they listened to one too many liberals and Marion Cotillard promoting clean renewable energy and progressive politics as a front for mass murder, he really did the rounds quite impressively

RyokoTK posted:

youre talking about a comic book you dumb dildos
video game thread

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Batman v Superman is like the one time where they address the fact that Batman beating up poor and mentally ill people doesn't actually solve anything and showed the logical conclusion of him operating in that mindset with zero oversight for decades and the internet hated it because they don't understand that a character in a movie can say and do things without it being what the director acually thinks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

im pooping! posted:

wtf arkham city is basically the perfect game

I gave up after the like tenth lovely riddler question mark that wanted me to use that awful remote batarang. Did a plot misison, then a gamefaqs guide told me I missed that riddler thing forever. Also I hated when I was trying to just zip around all awesome then I'd just get shot to death because every group of enemies just has guys with guns everywhere now. It was worse than the end of Asylum where they shoved the annoying stunrod guys everywhere constantly.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Isn't the penguin like the oldest of the old money and also completely batshit?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Batman v Superman is like the one time where they address the fact that Batman beating up poor and mentally ill people doesn't actually solve anything and showed the logical conclusion of him operating in that mindset with zero oversight for decades and the internet hated it because they don't understand that a character in a movie can say and do things without it being what the director acually thinks.

uh are you talking about the live action movie or some other media? because I think people hated bvs the movie, from the kooky mind of visionary director zach snyder, because it was bad

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
BvS was cool and the extended version is supposedly even cooler, can't wait to redbox it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Did a plot misison, then a gamefaqs guide told me I missed that riddler thing forever

Why are permanently miss-able things still A Thing in games? Its dumb and lovely and promotes people to constantly look stuff up online before doing anything.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't remember there being any permanently missable collectibles in Arkham City.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are no permanently missable collectibles, when they say that it's missable they probably mean you can't get it until the post-game, because you can only enter most interior locations when the plot requires you to go there. Which is another thing about Arkham City that sucks.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

RyokoTK posted:

I don't remember there being any permanently missable collectibles in Arkham City.

I'm almost certain there aren't, and besides the Catwoman DLC that comes with pretty much every copy of the game adds more question marks without increasing the number that you need to collect, so you can skip 25-30 or so of the most difficult ones and still finish the Riddler story.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There was a riddler trophy in mr freezes chamber that disappeared/became inaccessible once the story progressed. It may have been patched, but at launch their was a wailing and gnashing of teeth over it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In MGSV: The Phantom Pain there are posters of Paz drawn in an anime style decorating your base but they're anachronistic moe idol crap instead of cool period-appropriate 1980s styled artwork.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

In MGSV: The Phantom Pain there are posters of Paz drawn in an anime style decorating your base but they're anachronistic moe idol crap instead of cool period-appropriate 1980s styled artwork.

Doesn't sound like a problem to me

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The Witcher, the 3rd: Aside from Roach's (your horse taxi) atrocious spawning mechanics, this game is legitimately too long. I just finished with Vellen, I don't think I'm going to even finish the game. I looked online and just pounding the main story line the game is still 16 hours long :cry:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BillmasterCozb posted:

Doesn't sound like a problem to me

now listen here, cum nugget

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Generic one: When open-world have collectibles and the game doesn't say that ones aren't available unless you have Item X. Like, I can understand the difficulty in telling the player that, but it's annoying to almost get one a bunch of times, fail, and then look it up and find you can't get the Goobootron #54234 without the Rocket Boots.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Generic one: When open-world have collectibles and the game doesn't say that ones aren't available unless you have Item X. Like, I can understand the difficulty in telling the player that, but it's annoying to almost get one a bunch of times, fail, and then look it up and find you can't get the Goobootron #54234 without the Rocket Boots.

I hate when games don't at least make it clear. I've played a ton of games where the difference between a ledge you can double jump to and one you couldn't varied from like, one pixel to an obvious jump's height so you could spend forever thinking you were just missing whatever gimmick puzzle the room had if it was one of the small ones and you just couldn't reach the ledge.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Ape Escape from PS1 did that in an annoying way. What's the highest jump you can do, with the hand-helicopter-thing? Add it on to your double-jump so you triple jump?
Nope! Activate it while standing still. Used just infrequently enough to be annoying and to forget each time, since the triple-jump is used 99% of the time for distance and height.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

Isn't the penguin like the oldest of the old money and also completely batshit?

As is Zzsazz and Hush. Although I think Hush was more "sequel hook encyclopedia entry" than "person appearing in this game". Though I didn't 100 percent it.

I'm not a big batman fan, but I had fun with City. I thought Origins was better because the plot actually stuck to one arc and the boss battles were awesome, but that also apparently makes me a weird mutant.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

well why not posted:

Emphasising weapon manufacturers and their gimmicks in BL2 was a huge misstep. It meant that most every gun from a manufacturer was far too similar. It feels like there's really only about a dozen weapons.

The whole randomized gun system feels like a mistake. Instead of choosing between interesting options, you're mostly just sorting through garbage.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bar Crow posted:

The whole randomized gun system feels like a mistake. Instead of choosing between interesting options, you're mostly just sorting through garbage.

This but literally every Diablo style loot game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I could not help but roll my eyes when I was playing Dead Island/Dying Light/Any Open World Zombie Video Game and picked up a pistol with a blue name that did 10 damage, and then the same pistol but with a purple name so it did 12 damage. As if the gun itself determines the properties of the bullets that come out of it.

A baseball bat or something, I could understand, because it's always a deserted city full of scavengers so there's bound to be a range of equipment in various states of being broken. But a gun is a gun. You can't make bullets more lethal. I ended up cakewalking through the last couple sections of Dying Light because I just by chance found a shotgun that did so much damage it obliterated any enemy in one shot, which was fun, don't get me wrong. It's just stupid.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Bar Crow posted:

And invariably using named/unique weapons almost exclusively beyond a certain point.

That said, some of the inventive features of the unique weapons makes up for 99℅ of the game's weapons being complete trash.

And there's always the comedy option like the boganella. :laugh:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The netcode in vermintide requires you to talk to the host before your hits register, unlike games like payday 2 where combat works entirely client-side and the instant you shoot a cop it registers on your screen. This means there can be as much as a quarter second delay between when you hit a rat and when it dies or gets staggered. Thats huge because almost every time you hit a rat is when it is currently swinging at you, and you have to rely on the hit stopping it. I can block, intercept, protect allies, snipe special rats and dodge like a pro when I'm hosting. If I'm not hosting and the host's connection is not great, I can get downed in a matter of seconds by rats I technically already killed, and it sucks

The game feels ridiculously good to play when there's not lag but unsurprisingly, a game based largely around melee gets hit pretty hard by latency

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bar Crow posted:

There are some really cool images out there that break down the guns into the separate parts they use to make up the random guns and show them off because they actually do look pretty cool and a borderlands game that actually let you build your own gun would be really fun.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

BL2 shows all those cool looking guns on its loading screens, but I haven't seen anything like them in my two playthroughs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think Fallout 4 did the random guns stuff really well, honestly. You still got random loot, and you got random loot that was better than everything else, but it was clear exactly why and how it was better. You fought something strong for a legendary weapon, and in return you got a pistol that, very specifically, says that it's better because it does bonus poison damage. It's entirely possible that even if you're using a pistol you don't give a poo poo about poison damage, in which case you don't have to care--maybe you have another legendary weapon that suits you better.

The only problem I have with it is that it kind of devalues something I think FO4 otherwise does really well, which is the 'old faithful gear' thing. The lack of durability, the weapon mod system, and the fact very little equipment in the game is straight-up better than anything else means that you can get through the entire game with just the starting pistol, and it's not even a bad idea to do that. Hell, you even get to name your poo poo, which leads to great personalization... except that you're inevitably going to kill an enemy and find something that is exactly the same as your favorite gun, except that it's objectively better.

I'm not sure how you'd reconcile those, or even if it's possible. You could make the gun's mods the unique and interesting thing, meaning that you can still use your favorite gun and just make it even more awesome, but then that's devaluing people who're building around being able to make their own weapon mods, and if you take that away Intelligence-focused characters are even more hosed than they already are.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's a Fallout New Vegas mod (I think it's for 3 too) that levels up your weapons as you use them without removing the durability/etc system. I think that's a pretty good compromise. Leveling up your guns is even more dumb and immersion-shattering than guns just randomly having higher damage, but it is a "best of both worlds" situation when it comes to encouraging you to build up a loadout of weapons you like without making them permanent additions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I could not help but roll my eyes when I was playing Dead Island/Dying Light/Any Open World Zombie Video Game and picked up a pistol with a blue name that did 10 damage, and then the same pistol but with a purple name so it did 12 damage. As if the gun itself determines the properties of the bullets that come out of it.

A baseball bat or something, I could understand, because it's always a deserted city full of scavengers so there's bound to be a range of equipment in various states of being broken. But a gun is a gun. You can't make bullets more lethal. I ended up cakewalking through the last couple sections of Dying Light because I just by chance found a shotgun that did so much damage it obliterated any enemy in one shot, which was fun, don't get me wrong. It's just stupid.

It definitely feels like with Dying Light they ended up cutting a bunch of mechanics related to guns. Especially because midway through the game you do a quest chain for a gunsmith who is talked up as being able to mod guns and then when you complete it all you get is some random guns.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

muscles like this? posted:

It definitely feels like with Dying Light they ended up cutting a bunch of mechanics related to guns. Especially because midway through the game you do a quest chain for a gunsmith who is talked up as being able to mod guns and then when you complete it all you get is some random guns.
Guns also have rarities (blue, purple, gold) but that doesn't mean anything, they still have same stats.

Pump action shotgun has its iron sights misaligned in funny way

Sininu has a new favorite as of 12:24 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm not a big batman fan, but I had fun with City. I thought Origins was better because the plot actually stuck to one arc and the boss battles were awesome, but that also apparently makes me a weird mutant.

Hello fellow mutant. I wish Origins wasn't as overlooked, though admittedly it does have its own fair share of problems.