Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

Wasn't there an anti-vax family who recanted their views after their kids's lives were threatened by some otherwise-avoidable disease or something? I remember a bit of a kerfluffle regarding that a while back.

That happens several times every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

That happens several times every year.

the dumbest thing is what kind of transparency do they want? if a doctor or cdc or whatever tell them vaccines are safe they won't believe it

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Well obviously it's because they went about refusing to vaccinate the wrong way, and if they'd just faaaaaaaarrrrrrrtttttt

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I also enjoy that she mentions that she wants her daughter to develop naturally and only have natural things in her body because as well all know nature definitely has our best interest at heart.

That's why you should give your baby mistletoe berries and death caps as well as exposing them to **natural** things like polio and measles. The cat is the babysitter maybe?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Darwin is the most natural thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Animals rape each other in nature

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Why is it that people think nature knows best for us, or somehow wants us to thrive? Nature is cold and brutal and bloody and all but the simplest organisms murder their way to success. Plants will poison the soil and choke the roots of others. Herbivores kill their rivals. Carnivores do that while also devouring herbivores. Nature's not alive either. It doesn't have a consciousness or a will or intelligence, it's just a bunch of poo poo happening.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I... It's not like vaccines are mystery bags. I'm pretty sure you can look up how they are made, how they work, what's in them and what the adverse effects are.

You want to know what the MMR vaccine is ?

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM123789.pdf

loving buckle up and read that poo poo and the cited papers and voila you'll loving know. Of course you need to know your biology or be willing to put actual effort into it you loving piece of poo poo.

After all these years on the internet, anti-vax people are the only thing that still really makes me mad :rant:. Probably because I'm studying virology and I can tell you, those little shits run laps around our immune defenses while laughing. They are thoughtless, lifeless systems that are made to infect and spread. If they ever fail to keep up, they disappear.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Wasn't there an anti-vax family who recanted their views after their kids's lives were threatened by some otherwise-avoidable disease or something? I remember a bit of a kerfluffle regarding that a while back.

Probably you're thinking of Tara Hills, whose kids got whooping cough.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I got Moon Moon.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Slime posted:

Why is it that people think nature knows best for us, or somehow wants us to thrive? Nature is cold and brutal and bloody and all but the simplest organisms murder their way to success. Plants will poison the soil and choke the roots of others. Herbivores kill their rivals. Carnivores do that while also devouring herbivores. Nature's not alive either. It doesn't have a consciousness or a will or intelligence, it's just a bunch of poo poo happening.

Nature is a crying Native American man and by eating fair-trade organic gluten-free and by chastising those who dare eat peanuts around Kayleigh and Brayden we can abandon the curse of whiteness (autism) and become one with our inner yoni

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
The best way to battle an antivaxer is to post pictures of children with the terrible diseases that havent existed for 60 years. "so brave"

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Weatherman posted:

Well obviously it's because they went about refusing to vaccinate the wrong way, and if they'd just faaaaaaaarrrrrrrtttttt

That's solid advice actually, instead of vaccinating my kids this year, I'll just fart on them. Farts are all natural and safe after all.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The company I work for runs summer camps all over the US, and the New York Department of Health has decided to really enforce the immu/vax rules they've had on the books this year. So if you want any catharsis, just imagine a bunch of entitled, whiny Long Islanders getting turned away and sent home because they either didn't get their kids vaccinated or thought the rules (providing proof) didn't apply to them. It's the one thing that makes my miserable Summer weekends tolerable.

Sucks for the kids though :(

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Fathis Munk posted:

I... It's not like vaccines are mystery bags. I'm pretty sure you can look up how they are made, how they work, what's in them and what the adverse effects are.

You want to know what the MMR vaccine is ?

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM123789.pdf

loving buckle up and read that poo poo and the cited papers and voila you'll loving know. Of course you need to know your biology or be willing to put actual effort into it you loving piece of poo poo.

After all these years on the internet, anti-vax people are the only thing that still really makes me mad :rant:. Probably because I'm studying virology and I can tell you, those little shits run laps around our immune defenses while laughing. They are thoughtless, lifeless systems that are made to infect and spread. If they ever fail to keep up, they disappear.

I got this book the other day, and (not that I was anti-vax before) it has made me even more determined to vax the crap out of my boy when he arrives in October. Despite the pictures being drawn, they are horrendous (a lovingly rendererd syphillitic taint? Yes please!) and a perfect demonstration of WHY THE gently caress WE INVENTED VACCINES IN THE FIRST PLACE

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CommissarMega posted:

It also happened a couple of years ago to a family whose baby got tetanus. Tetanus is an incredibly ugly thing to watch an infant go through.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mds2 posted:

The best way to battle an antivaxer is to post pictures of children with the terrible diseases that havent existed for 60 years. "so brave"

Would another approach be to approvingly compare them to those peoples in Africa and thereabouts who refuse to get Western vaccinations because they're afraid of a Jewish conspiracy to make their junk fall off?

"Good on you, glad you know what's really going on in the world!"

E: That depends on them being able to detect irony though, so probably not

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"Merely picking up a book... and reading its cannot be considered the gospel truth" is amazing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I got "Person Really Trying to Make a Meal Out of His Common Social Inclination".

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
As an introvert, I'm a shy, withdrawn delicate flower who can't talk to anyone except when it comes to telling you about my personality in excruciating detail.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
This seemed too easy.

I just noticed "like Asian, or Asian or Latina" haha.

Transmogrifier has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Jul 14, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Brace yourselves for an incoming shitstorm on your Facebook feed, because a transgender woman was arrested for filming an 18-year-old girl trying on swimsuits at a Target in Idaho.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
China is so pro gender equality they have a surplus of single men because they aborted all the female babies, lest they become more equal.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really can't imagine being so loving angry at Ghostbusters.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

It sounds like a cross dressing straight man committed a crime, and then when caught is trying to say he identified as a female.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I remember reading once about how Magic the Gathering cards had to have their art altered when released on China because of laws about depicting human skeletons.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I remember reading once about how Magic the Gathering cards had to have their art altered when released on China because of laws about depicting human skeletons.

I know Karthus in League of Legends looks different because they can't show skeletons.

I imagine part of the change of Skeleton King to "Wraith King" in Dota 2 was partly influenced by this, too. Very large Chinese scene in both games.

I wonder how many cisgender people are caught doing voyeurism compared to transgender people. Of course, the former cases aren't publicized because it's not convenient.

When I went to university there were two instances within the same year, and same dormitory unit, of two men spying on women in the showers. What are we going to do about them? Can we please wildly publicize those stories? I guess not, because we as a society want to give men what they want.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I used to sometimes go to this store, Loehmann's, which was sort of an upscale version of places like TJMaxx and Marshalls. Weirdly, the dressing room was one big space with mirrors everywhere, and you tried on clothes in front of a bunch of other women. When camera phones started becoming a thing, they started demanding that everyone shut their phones off in front of an employee before going in, because they had had problems with women photographing other women and then selling the photos to creeper websites. I don't ever remember seeing that on the news either.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Transmogrifier posted:

This seemed too easy.

I just noticed "like Asian, or Asian or Latina" haha.

"Ghostbusters, The Heat, Spy" aka ALL MOVIES

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Melissa McCarthy is a woman who doesn't give them boners. Therefore, definitely a misandrist.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

A friend posted this:

I got moon moon :(

Also saw in my fb feed that a friend of an old aquaintance had named their daughter "Greyslin".
Terrible white people names dot jay peg.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fathis Munk posted:

Is it still accepted on an academic level that viruses don't fit the criteria of life? I thought more recently it had started to swing the other way

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Aesop Poprock posted:

Is it still accepted on an academic level that viruses don't fit the criteria of life? I thought more recently it had started to swing the other way

Just because a virus identifies as a living thing doesn't mean it gets to use the alive bathrooms. What would I tell my daughter if she saw some creepy virus while she was trying to take a poo poo? If it identifies as alive when it goes through that door it sure as gently caress won't on the way out [john_wayne_fanning_pisols.jpg]

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Jul 14, 2016

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Data Graham posted:

"Ghostbusters, The Heat, Spy" aka ALL MOVIES

I'm more upset by the "directed by" comment because all 3 were directed by Paul Feig. A man!!!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Mmm, yes, good, more please

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've never seen Ghostbusters

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

You should, it's a fun movie about 3 chain-smoking white guys and a chain-smoking black guy, who sort of just turns up and joins the gang.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

EmmyOk posted:

Its not even out yet, my friend

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Aesop Poprock posted:

While some viruses are pushing the boundaries (mostly mimiviruses which are really weird to start with), most viruses still don't fit the standard definition of life in that they don't have any kind of own metabolism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/SuperRetroid/status/753631559392133120