Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I thought you just meant with symmetra or something hah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea tracer still dies to a direct from pharah with the 30% buff; she does something like 156 damage while boosted

mccree can oneshot a pharah to the head with the 50% tho (70+35=105, or 210 with a headshot), and fth does 405 damage; pharah's got nothing on damage boosted mccree. tho going back to instadead tracer, firestrike would do 150 damage while boosted so lol tracer. thankfully they're not keeping the 50% damage boost because that'd be crazy

SqueePower
May 25, 2006
tube
Soiled Meat

Bolow posted:

The British are a blight on this world

loving

Tea-aboos

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I don't play tracer but I want to say if you manage to get hit by a direct rocket as tracer it's probably your fault

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
tracer's accent isn't even english it's just that weird voice americans make when they try to do impressions of us

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

SqueePower posted:

loving

Tea-aboos

What is wrong with us English people,. Tally ho and what what!

We just got an idiot as Foreign Secretary so we can't all be bad

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheresaJayne posted:

What is wrong with us English people,. Tally ho and what what!

We just got an idiot as Foreign Secretary so we can't all be bad

Nice alt account, Theresa "Jayne" May

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Nice alt account, Theresa "Jayne" May

Why am i not surprised at that comment.

#Pressthebigredbuttonnow

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

vulturesrow posted:

Someone kind of alluded to this already but for those of us playing in scrub tier hell will suffer from the Hanzo fix in that two people will inevitably slam pick him regardless and now they will be even more of a liability. That said, I think it was the right thing to do.

So I started to get salty about Lucio not getting my card picked post-match after I posted 4 gold medals card (and we won). Then a few games later I got the MVP card (80% on fire time) and they picked me. They love me, they really love me! I still can't get a drat PotG as Lucio though.

Speaking of scrub tier, for my fellow dirty PS4 havers, how is competitive? I just hit 25 and I will have to solo queue. How miserable am I going to be?

fake ninja: Thanks to the answers on breaking out of Gibraltar. The map came up and on a whim I actually picked Tracer (who I'd never played in a live match yet) and it was loving glorious. Went out the little side tunnel, killed Torb and then ran through 3 of the remaining 4 of their team. I think I ended up with like 4 bronze medals, which isnt bad I think for first time playing her but I will definitely pick her more. I was a little fearful of playing her because she seems like a high skill cap character. Maybe I'll be inspired to play Zarya now.
The key to lucio potgs is booping people on koth maps.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

cosmicjim posted:

The key to lucio potgs is booping people on koth maps.

Almost all of my lucio potgs have been from using my ult to shield allies from an enemy ult. Using it when an enemy zarya has people trapped in her black hole thing gets it pretty often.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
After playing some PTR I can see that Ana is really great in the right hands. She's just not for me. Zen, on the other hand, is superfun to play once again and I think I'll probably play him a lot more once the patch hits, instead of mostly playing Mercy in comp.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I'm still wondering why everyone is so pissed at hanzo when tracer exists in this game.

It's hard to ever be mad about about a character who will run into my bear trap and let me blow them up over and over and over

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Xaris posted:

fyi it's not just targetted towards hanzo, all projectile hitboxes are mostly normalized now (mei2, zen, shurikans, etc) aren't as large. They're now like hitscan hitboxes. And that's a good thing

except when you remember that this is a huge nerf to all projectile weapons when they don't really need that. all hitscan weapons should be nerfed damage-wise along with this change. or all projectile weapons should be buffed. what's the point of picking someone like pharah, mei or hanzo when heroes like mccree, soldier and widowmaker deal way more damage way more accurately? one of the things valve figured out with tf2 was that hitscan weapons weren't fun to play against. most of the hitscan weapons in TF2 were shotguns and secondary weapons, with the sniper's rifle as the only real exception. it's only in overwatch that you can get killed in 1 second because a mccree managed to headshot you and then bodyshot you at 30m, which isn't really all that difficult

Ddraig posted:

Can we make this the new thread title because lmao

are telling me you have an easier time getting direct hits with pharah than bodyshots with mccree? what the heck

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 14, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea tracer still dies to a direct from pharah with the 30% buff; she does something like 156 damage while boosted

mccree can oneshot a pharah to the head with the 50% tho (70+35=105, or 210 with a headshot), and fth does 405 damage; pharah's got nothing on damage boosted mccree. tho going back to instadead tracer, firestrike would do 150 damage while boosted so lol tracer. thankfully they're not keeping the 50% damage boost because that'd be crazy

I'm kinda on the fence about this, as 50% hits break points on virtually every character, but in comparison 30% limits the usefulness to a handful, such as Pharah and Junkrat. McCree is a good example, at 30% his damage is 91which is just under a 200 damage headshot, so for 30% he still needs the same number of shots while not boosted. 50% mean he needs one shot less no matter the scenario. Rienhardt still needs to hit Reaper three times @ 30%, only twice if 50% (tanks move from 5-6 to 4-5, etc).

It does mean though there are times when it's legitimately better to pull out the pistol then boost @ 30%, such as above mentioned cases.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
I'm just now catching up, but can we revisit the mccree fth suggestion that he instead shoots his gun rapidly at their feet forcing them to dance.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
What if they gave hanzo a proximity bomb at the end of his arrows that used the old hitboxes

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Hanzo needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. When Hanzo isn't selected on the character screen, all of your teammates should be asking "Where's Hanzo?"

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The hitbox salt is for real. Listen nerds, it never felt good watching an arrow fly a foot to the right of your head only for the server to claim its a headshot .2 seconds later.

I have a super magical way of fixing projectile issues now that they have been nerfed: increase projectile speed.
Now I know it's hard to grasp this seemingly simple concept, but increasing a projectile's travel velocity is way more effective than wonky invisible hitboxes.

I could only imagine if Tribes went with retarded hitboxes instead of modifying projectile speeds.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Thor-Stryker posted:

The hitbox salt is for real. Listen nerds, it never felt good watching an arrow fly a foot to the right of your head only for the server to claim its a headshot .2 seconds later.

I have a super magical way of fixing projectile issues now that they have been nerfed: increase projectile speed.
Now I know it's hard to grasp this seemingly simple concept, but increasing a projectiles travel velocity is way more effect than wonky invisible hitboxes.

I could only imagine if Tribes went with retarded hitboxes instead of modifying projectile speeds.

Increasing speed so that they might as well be hitscan weapons?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Papercut posted:

Why do people think a fast projectile is anywhere near hitscan? Even a mere 30m has super obvious differences. Ana's projectiles are in a good place, what would be wrong with Hanzo's arrows having similar velocity? Add in penetration so the arrow can hit multiple targets in its trajectory and Hanzo fulfills an interesting niche role.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Papercut posted:

What are your thoughts on dva's pistol

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
i can't believe they nerfed lucio's dps output

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like the idea of cutting Sonic Arrow's cooldown. I think Scatter Arrow can be reworked to be a lot easier to land by pubbie Hanzos. Maybe make it biased towards an enemy you revealed with Sonic Arrow?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm glad they're making comp 1 of each hero but it sucks because it basically means whoever loads in first gets the character they want and people with slower rigs get hosed.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

urea posted:

Now that they've made projectile hitboxes hitscan-sized, they need to finish the job and change all hitscan attacks to projectiles. It's only fair (and way more fun).

picture pharah stomping on the face of every map

forever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

I'm glad they're making comp 1 of each hero but it sucks because it basically means whoever loads in first gets the character they want and people with slower rigs get hosed.

Yeah, but this doesn't really change anything, Right now you've got two people picking Hanzo and one of them screaming he picked it first and both refusing to change.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Dias posted:

i can't believe they nerfed lucio's dps output

They did? Can't see anything about it in the patch notes.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
so the strategy will be hold hanzo until the game begins, then choose the character you're actually going to play

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
If I get a loot box in the PTR does it count or vanish into the ether when I go back to the real game?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but this doesn't really change anything, Right now you've got two people picking Hanzo and one of them screaming he picked it first and both refusing to change.

I guess I'm just salty that I really like Ana and I know I won't be able to play her for like 3 weeks after release until the new character smell goes away. =/

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

In qp, my general solution to a slapfight like this is to switch to Hanzo too. Usually at least one other person joins me after that, sometimes everyone else. If we can't have a decent winning round, at least I''ll have a fun gimmick round. No idea what I'd do in comp, but even then I think I'd rather just tank my rating than try to deal with a team that's fighting over Hanzos.

nickhimself posted:

so the strategy will be hold hanzo until the game begins, then choose the character you're actually going to play
Genius. I just need to coordinate with a friend who slampicks Genji too.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I can't take credit for the idea, but it is a good one

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ManSedan posted:

If I get a loot box in the PTR does it count or vanish into the ether when I go back to the real game?

Vanishes, PTR is only a test realm, everything is wiped when they are finished with it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

I guess I'm just salty that I really like Ana and I know I won't be able to play her for like 3 weeks after release until the new character smell goes away. =/

same but for the game in general

new hero syndrome is the worst

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

In qp, my general solution to a slapfight like this is to switch to Hanzo too. Usually at least one other person joins me after that, sometimes everyone else. If we can't have a decent winning round, at least I''ll have a fun gimmick round. No idea what I'd do in comp, but even then I think I'd rather just tank my rating than try to deal with a team that's fighting over Hanzos.

The 1-character change is only for Comp AFAIK at least.

Verranicus posted:

Yeah, I know that feeling. I main support and good luck with that for the next month.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Papercut posted:

There's a huge gap between Hanzo's current projectile speed and hitscan. If players are missing too many shots because it's hard to effectively lead targets, then slightly increasing projectile speed will make it easier because players won't have to account for as much player movement unlike now.

I mean Blizzard could make Hanzo hitscan and adjust all his values to match, or they could just up the velocity until they reach the % hit/miss ratio they want.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you need to buff Hanzo to change for the hitbox changes, maybe up his movement speed while charging so he can be closer to the action more safely? Give him a movement buff after a kill? Though really, I don't see what his role is supposed to be: Widow has long-range sniper down and McCree has the short-range headshot thing. Change scatter so it can't be used to insta-gib people but tracks really well around corners? Give him a wall-piercing arrow ability instead of scatter?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Can you be reported for being bad in comp? Legit curious.

Zoness posted:

same but for the game in general

new hero syndrome is the worst

I really feel like they should have released at -least- 2 new heroes at the same time to get around that.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Lovechop posted:

tracer's accent isn't even english it's just that weird voice americans make when they try to do impressions of us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IArbWR6XSs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
To be honest, I tried Mei on the PTR for like an hour last night and didn't notice a difference in her M2.