Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

What is that thing, is that one of those lovely plug and play deals? I hope it is better than the shitshow that was the Sega Genesis one.

oh poo poo I might get this just for that box, and I guess the controller works with VC games on the Wii U??

Gorgolflox fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

greatn posted:

The second stick on the GameCube was actually digital.

No it isn't.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
That is going to be embarrassingly popular

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I wonder if it's going to be an actual clone of the hardware or a Raspberry Pi-type emulation box.

If the former, I see it becoming very popular as a mod platform, especially if someone manages to figure out how to wire a cartridge slot to the board.

Regardless, I'm buying at least 2 of those controllers.

Edit: Read the full press release and it mentions suspend points. Emulated.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 14, 2016

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Only 30? My chinese one goes up to 750000:colbert:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Heck yeah!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The mini nes is just absolutely adorable

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Why yes, I'd love to spend thousands on a fake plastic piece of poo poo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I bet it outsells the WiiU.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Nintendo is going to make a fortune on that. It looks pretty good! Great line-up of games with many being unexpected. StarTropics, Super C, Double Dragon 2, Castlevania 1 and Simon's Quest, Kirby's Adventure, Mega Man 2 , Marios and Zelda, Motherfucking Tecmo Bowl....all with save states? That's a hell of a line-up.

It's bizarre how two weeks ago Nintendo's financial future looked bleak and uncertain. Now thanks to Pokemon GO / Sun/Moon and this NES they will need dump trucks for all the cash they are gonna rake in during the holidays, and they still haven't said poo poo about the NX, mobile Animal Crossing or FE.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Can you actually play NES cartridges in it or is it just an emulation box/virtual storefront

The articles I read don't actually say

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

It's an emulation box. It's too small for cartridges, even if it did open.

Let's hope this kicks rear end so we get a SNES box next year. Given all the third parties in this NES release, as well as the apparent "they get it" approach to the line-up, that would bode well for a murderer's row for SNES. Something like:

Earthbound
Super Mario World
Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy 3
Zelda: Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2
Super Contra
Castlevania 4
Sim City
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3
Star Fox
Stunt Race FX
Mario Kart
Super Punch Out

They could charge $99.99 for that and sell it no problem.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Let's hope this kicks rear end so we get a SNES box next year. Given all the third parties in this NES release, as well as the apparent "they get it" approach to the line-up, that would bode well for a murderer's row for SNES. Something like:

Earthbound
Super Mario World
Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy 3
Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2
Super Contra
Castlevania 4
Sim City
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Star Fox
Stunt Race FX
Mario Kart
Super Punch Out

Only problem with that lineup is that FX chip games ain't happening. (We don't even have them on the Wii U VC, no way they'd be on a plug N' Play system before that.)

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It's not even clear that it's going to be a virtual storefront, there's no mention of it ever getting more games.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zonekeeper posted:

Only problem with that lineup is that FX chip games ain't happening. (We don't even have them on the Wii U VC, no way they'd be on a plug N' Play system before that.)

You could shove an FX chip inside so you don't need to emulate that part.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

pixaal posted:

You could shove an FX chip inside so you don't need to emulate that part.

The issue is Nintendo no longer has the licensing for the FX chip. It was a third-party proprietary thing, like having a GeForce chipset would be nowadays.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Fine, but even if you took those FX chip games out it would still be killer.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

HMS Boromir posted:

It's not even clear that it's going to be a virtual storefront, there's no mention of it ever getting more games.

I didn't mean it would be a storefront, I implied that maybe they would release a similar mini-SNES loaded with games.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

I didn't mean it would be a storefront, I implied that maybe they would release a similar mini-SNES loaded with games.

Sorry, probably should've quoted the post.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

is it just an emulation box/virtual storefront

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How much could licensing the FX chip possibly cost? Just charge a buck more for those games and be done with it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tengames posted:

Only 30? My chinese one goes up to 750000:colbert:
Mario 20751 was good but I found Mario 190679 a bit lacking

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

How much could licensing the FX chip possibly cost? Just charge a buck more for those games and be done with it.

I think the issue is that it's not entirely clear who owns the FX Chip's rights anymore.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Patter Song posted:

I think the issue is that it's not entirely clear who owns the FX Chip's rights anymore.
And because business is lovely, whoever has it won't even return phone calls but rather will let someone else do all the work before suing them to get all the money

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
No Chip Lives Forever

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You just put your portion of the sales in a trust and if anyone comes around claiming it's theres and proves it in court you pay them the trust. It's not uncommon to use old technology or media like this.

On the NES mini, I want to know how long the controller cord is. I can see the controller ports are just Wii accessory sockets, so you can plug in the classic controller, but the cord for the classic controller is 1.5, maybe 2 feet long. Hope the included controller cord is at least six feet.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
wanna stick that Mini NES controller in a Wiimote and play Mario Maker levels with it :allears:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Minidust posted:

wanna stick that Mini NES controller in a Wiimote and play Mario Maker levels with it :allears:

Main problem is no shoulder button for SMW/NSMB levels. Not being able to spin jump makes many levels impossible.

Just means we need an SNES controller. :getin:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Earthbound
Super Mario World
Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy 3
Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2
Super Contra
Castlevania 4
Sim City
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Star Fox
Stunt Race FX
Mario Kart
Super Punch Out

Here is my attempt at 30 games, taking out the FX chip games, and staying away from licensed/M rated titles:

Earthbound
Super Mario World
Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy 3
Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2: Turbo
Super Contra
Castlevania 4
Sim City
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Mario Kart
Super Punch Out
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dreamland 3
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby's Avalanche
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Tetris Attack (switch the name back to Panel de Pon if they need to for licensing reasons)
Puzzle Bobble
Harvest Moon

I would gladly pay $100 for that, although $60 is probably a better mass-market price. Final Fantasy 2 would be another good one to add, but the number of remakes it has on different Nintendo systems, and the number of RPGs already included led me to cut it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Minidust posted:

I'm sure Nintendo is counting on exactly that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zonekeeper posted:

Main problem is no shoulder button for SMW/NSMB levels. Not being able to spin jump makes many levels impossible.

Just means we need an SNES controller. :getin:

They made one years ago but you couldn't buy it, it was an exclusive Club Nintendo reward in Japan and PAL territories:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They made one years ago but you couldn't buy it, it was an exclusive Club Nintendo reward in Japan and PAL territories:

Well aware of it. My point is they need to make a wide release version that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

pyrotek posted:

Here is my attempt at 30 games, taking out the FX chip games, and staying away from licensed/M rated titles:

Earthbound
Super Mario World
Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy 3
Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2: Turbo
Super Contra
Castlevania 4
Sim City
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Mario Kart
Super Punch Out
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dreamland 3
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby's Avalanche
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Tetris Attack (switch the name back to Panel de Pon if they need to for licensing reasons)
Puzzle Bobble
Harvest Moon

I would gladly pay $100 for that, although $60 is probably a better mass-market price. Final Fantasy 2 would be another good one to add, but the number of remakes it has on different Nintendo systems, and the number of RPGs already included led me to cut it.

Yoshi's Island uses the FX chip, so you can replace that with Final Fantasy 2. I think Kirby Avalanche is licensed puyo puyo game, so replace it with Mega Man X2.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The SNES one should have Actraiser.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I can play all those games on computer for free

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kevyn posted:

The SNES one should have Actraiser.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's priced just high enough where I don't think it's worth it considering I have many of those already on the Virtual Console. The NES controllers are priced perfectly though where I'll want to pick up one to play on my WIi U.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Real hurthling! posted:

I can steal all those games on computer for only the cost of my eternal damnation

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Astro7x posted:

It's priced just high enough where I don't think it's worth it considering I have many of those already on the Virtual Console. The NES controllers are priced perfectly though where I'll want to pick up one to play on my WIi U.

It comes out to $2 per game, so for someone who doesn't already have them on VC it's an amazing deal. The fact that there isn't a bad game in the bunch just sweetens the deal further.

If this does gangbusters then I foresee rereleases with different selections of games.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

And then the lord said:"thou shalt not make copies of a program via the internet and play it in an emulator with savestates, frameskip, translation patches and-wait , theres an nes emulator that turns them into 3d models? Holy poo poo , i gotta see this!"

And then the lord got a new pc to run dolphin 5.0 after he saw a youtube video of mario galaxy 2 at 1080p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Zonekeeper posted:

It comes out to $2 per game, so for someone who doesn't already have them on VC it's an amazing deal. The fact that there isn't a bad game in the bunch just sweetens the deal further.

If this does gangbusters then I foresee rereleases with different selections of games.

Given how much Nintendo of America loves memes about itself, I'm surprised it doesn't have Urban Champion.

• Locked thread