Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

Who's getting mad at it?

I think there was an article arguing Pokemon Go was asking black men to risk their lives for Pokemon, since going outside with a hard object in your hand is potentially life ending as a black man.

Also the RNC rules committee printer jam was a lie to hide a last minute secret meeting off camera: http://time.com/4406140/republican-convention-rules-chairman/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Too late, no one cares.

I care.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Crabtree posted:

The Iron Lady not so Iron anymore, but what can you do when no one says anything about Trump threatening to swamp her, but are outraged she had a negative opinion about the first Oompa Loompa President?

Yeah I just don't get the attitude that the courts require this absurd level civility in the form of denial because we have to pretend the people working in them are totally without bias but the position of President (or Congressman) apparently has no such issue and someone running for it can insult and threaten a high ranking government official without the same people being equally outraged.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pawnee PokeStop spotted:

https://twitter.com/searexx/status/753030735271829504

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/753372203668934656

Hell yeah gently caress you Air BnB.

I was listening to some TED bullshit on NPR a couple of weeks ago and the founder of Air BnB was talking about how the "bad stories" are only fraction of all BnB bookings and it's not fair to judge the company by these bad outliers. Then he immediately told a story about how some BnB host saved the life of his tenant who had a heart attack, and we should use that as an example of the good power of Air BnB.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

It's weird to think how close America potentially is to electing a reality TV star to the highest office in the land.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Trabisnikof posted:

I think there was an article arguing Pokemon Go was asking black men to risk their lives for Pokemon, since going outside with a hard object in your hand is potentially life ending as a black man.

Also the RNC rules committee printer jam was a lie to hide a last minute secret meeting off camera: http://time.com/4406140/republican-convention-rules-chairman/

I was just coming to post something about this. Yeah there is some ratfucking trying to happening. I'm seeing a few tweets by reporters there that the delegates are getting angry at reince.

The stop trump people were saying yesterday they have enough delegates to change the rules. They also claim to have enough to issue a "minority report" from the floor of the convention.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

I was listening to some TED bullshit on NPR a couple of weeks ago and the founder of Air BnB was talking about how the "bad stories" are only fraction of all BnB bookings and it's not fair to judge the company by these bad outliers. Then he immediately told a story about how some BnB host saved the life of his tenant who had a heart attack, and we should use that as an example of the good power of Air BnB.

I know nothing about this "tough new homesharing law" but how does it actually impact people who rent out their primary residence? The horror stories about people buying out areas in order to airBnB them make sense and they can be charged under illegal hotel statutes in most places. What is the harm of people renting out their primary residences for less than 30 days?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I was just coming to post something about this. Yeah there is some ratfucking trying to happening. I'm seeing a few tweets by reporters there that the delegates are getting angry at reince.

The stop trump people were saying yesterday they have enough delegates to change the rules. They also claim to have enough to issue a "minority report" from the floor of the convention.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/753608741984034816

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know nothing about this "tough new homesharing law" but how does it actually impact people who rent out their primary residence? The horror stories about people buying out areas in order to airBnB them make sense and they can be charged under illegal hotel statutes in most places. What is the harm of people renting out their primary residences for less than 30 days?

Oh sorry for not including a link to the article

"In May 2015, the Santa Monica City Council unanimously passed a law outlawing rentals of less than 30 days. The law allows so-called home-sharing, such as renting a couch or spare room while the owner is present, but bars renting an entire residence for fewer than 30 days. "

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

In the unlikely event the RNC succeeds in rat-loving Trump I assume the media will fall over themselves to congratulate them for fighting off the evil, racist Trump and steering the party back on track no matter the views of the guy they replace him with.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Radish posted:

In the unlikely event the RNC succeeds in rat-loving Trump I assume the media will fall over themselves to congratulate them for fighting off the evil, racist Trump and steering the party back on track no matter the views of the guy they replace him with.

we live in the darkest timeline, so no

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/753610437703311361?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The unbinding will be coming up. The question is if it passes. I'm guessing this is super delegates. Rules committee comes back at 1pm est.

If Trump isn't ratfucked here, I need him to pick Ivanka as VP.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/753608741984034816

Oh sorry for not including a link to the article

"In May 2015, the Santa Monica City Council unanimously passed a law outlawing rentals of less than 30 days. The law allows so-called home-sharing, such as renting a couch or spare room while the owner is present, but bars renting an entire residence for fewer than 30 days. "

Okay, so it is the people who were renting out non-primary residences. Makes sense.

I assume people aren't just renting these units because they can do huge upcharges on day-to-day rates instead of a monthly lease.

There's a link to the article in the tweet, I just didn't see it at first!

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 14, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The RNC has been hard-charging against Never Trump, it's dead.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Okay, so it is the people who were renting out non-primary residences. Makes sense.

I assume people aren't just renting these units because they can do huge upcharges on day-to-day rates instead of a monthly lease.

The problem is that people were using them to get around hotel regulations, didn't live in or have any interest in the community, and were renting poo poo out to people who throw raging parties and trash the place.

Like the guy in the article owned six properties that he was renting through Air BnB

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Too late, no one cares.

Only because they're almost never in mosques.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It sucks to be reminded that the Cooch is still a thing in politics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

call to action posted:

Only because they're almost never in mosques.

Ha, yeah that would actually create the well organized movement

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Never Stop Michele

quote:

Bachmann shared an anecdote: “He even said, ‘I don’t understand, when I was growing up, everybody said Merry Christmas. Even my Jews would say Merry Christmas.’ New York City, there are a lot of Jews, and they would even say Merry Christmas. Why can’t we even say Merry Christmas anymore?’”

Bachmann added that Trump had “1950s sensibilities” and “1950s common sense,” and warned that Hillary Clinton would bring “certain destruction” and “catastrophic decline” and a “godless United States that will walk into certain catastrophe.”

(http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5786ea72e4b03fc3ee4f478f stolen via politicalwire)

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

zoux posted:

This is great, but too bad the fine is a joke.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

"1950's sensibilities" really is just the motto of the GOP, isn't it? gently caress the blacks, gently caress women, and gently caress anyone else

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lotka Volterra posted:

This is great, but too bad the fine is a joke.

The fine is a joke but he's also been banned from renting on AirBnB (in Santa Monica).

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

:sad: Very disappointing.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I would sort of assume that having voting locations in a church has more to do with the fact that they usually have a large and accessible parish hall that can accommodate the numbers of people showing up to vote, as opposed to any religious justification.

A church is usually fairly deserted on a weekday, the parish hall is typically handicap-accessible, and they have a parking lot for people who drive. I think it's just an infrastructure thing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/stevesilberman/status/752966428366544896

i am going to miss michelle

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I enjoy Barack's "oh that's just little George" knowing glance to her.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/paulwaldman1/status/753615818441781248

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Spaced God posted:

"1950's sensibilities" really is just the motto of the GOP, isn't it? gently caress the blacks, gently caress women, and gently caress anyone else

"1950s sensibilities" is the GOP platform this year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did Rand not speak last year? I know he's skipping it this year to "campaign in KY"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mr Hootington posted:

"1950s sensibilities" is the GOP platform this year.

Unfair to the 1950s, given how much higher the top tax rates were and Eisenhower's enthusiasm for infrastructure spending.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Did Rand not speak last year? I know he's skipping it this year to "campaign in KY"

I don't think he did.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Best first family ever and half of america hates them because black.

:sad:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Michelle's real good here but the real hero is the carlton grin on LBJ's face, follow by the bark, and then rapid exit stage left.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Every liberal is such a pushover. No wonder people love Trump.

Also maybe uncritically worshipping a geriatric unelected barrister is not the best route forward for progressive politics, just a thought here.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Quinnipiac has Toomey, Portman and Rubio leading their challengers comfortably, making a Democratic Senate that much more difficult to reach.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

zoux posted:

I think there is a theme to that list that Rand doesn't fit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Roll Call is reporting that Trump will select Mike Pence as VP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Roll Call is reporting that Trump will select Mike Pence as VP

sad!

• Locked thread