Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why is Hulk fighting Master Roshi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Endless Mike posted:

Why is Hulk fighting Master Roshi?

The best part is that guy was in like four pages of the book and yet they made sure he had a name. I'm assuming they thought they were going to make big McFarlane action figure money.

And they probably would have if they could've gotten more than two issues out a year.

joehonkie fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 11, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

joehonkie posted:

The best part is that guy was in like four pages of the book and yet they made sure he had a name. I'm assuming they thought they were going to make big McFarlane action figure money.

And they probably would have if they could've gotten more than two issues out a year.

Yeah, 9 issues in 4 years, and then canceling issue 10, is not how you succeed in the comic book industry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah, 9 issues in 4 years, and then canceling issue 10, is not how you succeed in the comic book industry.

On the other hand it is how you succeed on kickstarter it seems!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Considering Mad gets work to this day, not to mention was the lead designer on a reasonably successful video game franchise, he's pretty successful.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Endless Mike posted:

Considering Mad gets work to this day, not to mention was the lead designer on a reasonably successful video game franchise, he's pretty successful.

He's no Rob Liefeld, but he gets by.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Well, Hostess Fruit Pies (TM) can't be happy about that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Those are some succulent man-lips on Bruce.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
An entire pouch of the utility belt, just for that half-opened chocolate bar

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ghosthorse posted:

An entire pouch of the utility belt, just for that half-opened chocolate bar

The extra space in the pouch is insulation to keep the snickers from melting.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yeah, Dark Knight Strikes Again happens.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The person who came up with that deserves a raise.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Gwenpool (and MODOK) continue to be awesome. From Gwenpool #4:

And then, when she finally manages to get the upper hand:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That modhawk is kinda silly.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SynthOrange posted:

I only just got that it's a MODOK Mohawk. :doh:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, it's suddenly hard to take MODOK seriously. He was always so dignified.

Gwenpool owns, by the way. There was literally a ghost in the machine this week. Was Dr Strange always a necromancer?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 14, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Air is lava! posted:

Was Dr Strange always a necromancer?

I think the Doc is well versed in all schools of magic, but especially well in ones that are convenient to the plot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

He's not called the Sorcerer Pretty Good or the Dabbler in the Mystic Arts, after all.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So, he's like Magic Reed Richards.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

So, he's like Magic Reed Richards.

Yeah pretty much.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dr. Strange refuses to ban any of the seven schools of magic! He must need it to go into the Sorcerer Supreme Prestige class.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Yeah, it's suddenly hard to take MODOK seriously. He was always so dignified.

I recall in the old days, he was one of Captain America's main foes, and taken seriously. It's only more recently that he's been seen as a joke. Though that's probably hearsay.

Then again, his backstory itself is either impressive or silly. AIM take an ordinary man, mutates and experiment on him, and make him their new living computer/weapon. But he's too strong, and not only destroys the people that did this to him, but takes over AIM. In the end, that's nasty as all hell.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 14, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bloodly posted:

I recall in the old days, he was one of Captain America's main foes, and taken seriously. It's only more recently that he's been seen as a joke. Though that's probably hearsay.

A lot of Silver Age stuff is so un-selfconsciously goofy that the only options are to drop them, make them less goofy, or lean all the way into it. MODOK writers definitely chose the latter.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bloodly posted:

That's a frightening monstrosity of science gone mad. As is Arnim Zola.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

A monstrosity of science gone mad indeed

There have been times when they've tried to go serious with the 'DOK, for a little while he was running around in a giant mech suit and punching people instead

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

MODOK is essentially the result of what happens when Jack Kirby concept art is left unchecked.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

MODOK is pretty horrifying if played straight. There was an episode of the 90s Iron Man cartoon featuring his origin story, including transformation from normal guy to giant head monster, that gave me nightmares for like a week.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Lotta real body horror themes going on with MODOK, I take it as why he's used so comedically. Was there ever an Ultimate MODOK?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Chinaman7000 posted:

Lotta real body horror themes going on with MODOK, I take it as why he's used so comedically. Was there ever an Ultimate MODOK?

Quick google search says yes, but I have no clue what issue, series, or author it was (my gut tells me Ellis but I don't know enough about 1610).

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

Quick google search says yes, but I have no clue what issue, series, or author it was (my gut tells me Ellis but I don't know enough about 1610).

That one is from Ultimate Comics: Armor Wars mini by Ellis and Steve Kurth, a different version showed up before that in the Ultimate Vision mini-series where he started out with a full cyborg body but ended up like this at the end:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Horrible Taste posted:

That one is from Ultimate Comics: Armor Wars mini by Ellis and Steve Kurth, a different version showed up before that in the Ultimate Vision mini-series where he started out with a full cyborg body but ended up like this at the end:

This one is so lame and try hard at being a realistic edgy version of a dumb Silver Age thing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

WickedHate posted:

This one is so lame and try hard at being a realistic edgy version of a dumb Silver Age thing.

I mean, it looks kinda gross and I don't like looking at it. Is that the point?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mover posted:

A monstrosity of science gone mad indeed

lol just lol at this weak-rear end guy not taking the rare chance to see a MODOKs dick.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

MODOK doesn't have a penis, you must be thinking of MODOF.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Wouldn't that actually be MODTF

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

MODOK doesn't have a penis, you must be thinking of MODOF.

He prefers to call it the Massive Organ Design Intended to Create Killers.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

This is pretty dumb but holy poo poo

this is the DUMBEST

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Chinaman7000 posted:

This is pretty dumb but holy poo poo

this is the DUMBEST

Eeeeh it reminds me of the Black Zoid Saga, so I have to like it at least a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squizzle posted:

Eeeeh it reminds me of the Black Zoid Saga, so I have to like it at least a little bit.

I googled it and this has nothing to do with Zoids I am so let down.