Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

Can you be reported for being bad in comp? Legit curious.

I really feel like they should have released at -least- 2 new heroes at the same time to get around that.

I think the goal is to drastically update a few heroes (mccree and zenyatta) so that ana isn't the only 'new' feeling hero

but like, it's not like mccree and zenyatta are going to feel drastically different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

If you need to buff Hanzo to change for the hitbox changes, maybe up his movement speed while charging so he can be closer to the action more safely? Give him a movement buff after a kill? Though really, I don't see what his role is supposed to be: Widow has long-range sniper down and McCree has the short-range headshot thing. Change scatter so it can't be used to insta-gib people but tracks really well around corners? Give him a wall-piercing arrow ability instead of scatter?

The issue with Hanzo is that he's made redundant by, like, four other characters. The only thing that kept him afloat were the massive hitboxes on his projectiles, but it's one of those "good" aspects that just feels lovely all around and incentivizes bad play. I'm not super sure how I'd "fix" him tho.

Also while we're nerfing Hanzo can we please fix the Okami call

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
hanzos role is to help the opposing reaper charge his ult and give him 50 health

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Zoness posted:

hanzos role is to help the opposing reaper charge his ult and give him 50 health

And make a nice, easy target for a hook via a flanking Roadhog. Thanks buddy!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
"Even before I make all the silvers mad, there is very good reason and basis for it. People at that level of play are simply the most competent on balancing issues. They know all ins and outs of the game, are aware of all the capabilities of the heroes, are experts at game mechanics and so on. They can see every day what a certain hero can or cannot do compared to other and how certain mechanics can be used or abused, to what degree and its effect on gameplay, whether its good, bad fun or not and so on.

I'm going to try to not to offend low rank players too much, but if you are one of those players and have a shred of rational sense, I'm sure you'd understand why that would be a good thing compared to people who are not good enough at the game to know how things work and how they really perform at their maximum.

The mercy damage boost increase to 50% on the PTR highlights very well why some sort of top 500 player council needs to be introduced instead of some rank 30 silver doing the balancing at Blizzard right now.
" In addition, we always intended Mercy’s Damage Boost beam to be her primary method for dealing damage, but it often felt so weak that you were better off pulling out your blaster. To help address this, we've slightly increased its potency." Only a low rank silver could have ever said something like this (confirmed with hundreds of forum posts on the issue) As a result, the game is broken on PTR. Its a game of which damage boosted Mcree 1-2 shots the other damaged boosted Mcree putting the game to where it was before the widowmaker was murdered, raped, and dumped into a well (balanced by silvers, along with Mcree).
This is not to mention the endless supply of wrong and ignorant threads and comments on the forum regarding balance - a highlight of that is "nerf bastion" threads that will never stop coming unless this is done.

This will resolve all the issues the game has and ever had and would have. The 20 tick, the overnerf of Widow, the broken Mcree, 50% damage boost, roadhog hitscan hook, sudden death, 0 point game for leaver games, infinite overtime and so on and so forth. People in top 500 would have never let these things happen and would have done it right the first time (can be confirmed by any of those players). Instead, the silvers at Blizzard break everything and put in things that any top 500 player would instantly know will not work, then blizzard goes on and reverts those changes weeks later or fixes them in a way that those players were telling them to do in the first place anyway.

***UPDATE***
What the low rank people in this thread don't understand is that it will not impact them or the game in any negative way. In fact if the masses decided on balance we would have had bastion nerfed because silvers don't know how to deal with him and get shrekt, wdowmaker buffed instead of nerfed because 90% of the playerbase can't aim and so on.
If instead top 500 players were doing the balancing, mcree would have gotten a change in his abilities, not a plain reduction to fan that made it useless in practice and broke his kit. Widow wouldn't have gotten as much of a nerf because whoever did it at blizzard didn't understand that 3 issues that she had were only overpowered all at once, not each one of them making her broken.

Oh hey, lets look at Dota 2, the most competitive game in the world which millions of people play - the balancing is done entirely based on tournaments and pro player feedback, even if statistically some heroes have 60% win rate in random games. And what do we have? The #1 esport in the world that great to play for everyone, not just the pros.

It kinda eludes me where silvers get this idea that somehow if top 500 did the balancing it will somehow "cater" the game for them. This makes no sense, it sounds smart, but in reality its nonsense that has no rational sense behind it. There is no way anyone can make the game be better for top players and worse for everyone else. How would a bastion nerf that the clueless majority would want be good? How is sudden death good? How was no hero limit in competitive good? No, those thing are or would be bad for the game, the difference is - only top players can recognize the issues and actually be able to tell for sure if something is op or not and by how much. Low skill players will just play as they always have with other low skilled players and have as much fun as everybody else.

Discuss."

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747074598

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Verranicus posted:

"Even before I make all the silvers mad, there is very good reason and basis for it. People at that level of play are simply the most competent on balancing issues. They know all ins and outs of the game, are aware of all the capabilities of the heroes, are experts at game mechanics and so on. They can see every day what a certain hero can or cannot do compared to other and how certain mechanics can be used or abused, to what degree and its effect on gameplay, whether its good, bad fun or not and so on.

I'm going to try to not to offend low rank players too much, but if you are one of those players and have a shred of rational sense, I'm sure you'd understand why that would be a good thing compared to people who are not good enough at the game to know how things work and how they really perform at their maximum.

The mercy damage boost increase to 50% on the PTR highlights very well why some sort of top 500 player council needs to be introduced instead of some rank 30 silver doing the balancing at Blizzard right now.
" In addition, we always intended Mercy’s Damage Boost beam to be her primary method for dealing damage, but it often felt so weak that you were better off pulling out your blaster. To help address this, we've slightly increased its potency." Only a low rank silver could have ever said something like this (confirmed with hundreds of forum posts on the issue) As a result, the game is broken on PTR. Its a game of which damage boosted Mcree 1-2 shots the other damaged boosted Mcree putting the game to where it was before the widowmaker was murdered, raped, and dumped into a well (balanced by silvers, along with Mcree).
This is not to mention the endless supply of wrong and ignorant threads and comments on the forum regarding balance - a highlight of that is "nerf bastion" threads that will never stop coming unless this is done.

This will resolve all the issues the game has and ever had and would have. The 20 tick, the overnerf of Widow, the broken Mcree, 50% damage boost, roadhog hitscan hook, sudden death, 0 point game for leaver games, infinite overtime and so on and so forth. People in top 500 would have never let these things happen and would have done it right the first time (can be confirmed by any of those players). Instead, the silvers at Blizzard break everything and put in things that any top 500 player would instantly know will not work, then blizzard goes on and reverts those changes weeks later or fixes them in a way that those players were telling them to do in the first place anyway.

***UPDATE***
What the low rank people in this thread don't understand is that it will not impact them or the game in any negative way. In fact if the masses decided on balance we would have had bastion nerfed because silvers don't know how to deal with him and get shrekt, wdowmaker buffed instead of nerfed because 90% of the playerbase can't aim and so on.
If instead top 500 players were doing the balancing, mcree would have gotten a change in his abilities, not a plain reduction to fan that made it useless in practice and broke his kit. Widow wouldn't have gotten as much of a nerf because whoever did it at blizzard didn't understand that 3 issues that she had were only overpowered all at once, not each one of them making her broken.

Oh hey, lets look at Dota 2, the most competitive game in the world which millions of people play - the balancing is done entirely based on tournaments and pro player feedback, even if statistically some heroes have 60% win rate in random games. And what do we have? The #1 esport in the world that great to play for everyone, not just the pros.

It kinda eludes me where silvers get this idea that somehow if top 500 did the balancing it will somehow "cater" the game for them. This makes no sense, it sounds smart, but in reality its nonsense that has no rational sense behind it. There is no way anyone can make the game be better for top players and worse for everyone else. How would a bastion nerf that the clueless majority would want be good? How is sudden death good? How was no hero limit in competitive good? No, those thing are or would be bad for the game, the difference is - only top players can recognize the issues and actually be able to tell for sure if something is op or not and by how much. Low skill players will just play as they always have with other low skilled players and have as much fun as everybody else.

Discuss."

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747074598

I mean, that guy himself shouldn't be talking about balancing then...

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
But what about us lowly bronze? 😞

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Verranicus posted:

"Even before I make all the silvers mad, ..."

He's mostly right but that proposed "council of top 500 players" should be strictly a feedback group and not actually deciding on the changes.

Also being very good at a game has a high likelihood of your opinion being more worthwhile but even top players have blind spots. They're players, not designers.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

This is so great "I GOT LAWYERS. CALL MY BLUFF DO IT I GOT 100 LAWYERS" "If you're lawyers would like to contact our legal team go for it lol"

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Macaluso posted:

This is so great "I GOT LAWYERS. CALL MY BLUFF DO IT I GOT 100 LAWYERS" "If you're lawyers would like to contact our legal team go for it lol"

Do you fuckers know who my father is!?!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
"I'm vindictive! That totally means I'll win in a court case! I've got, like, 10000 lawyers and a huge dick! "

"Okay."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
trumpplaysoverwatch.txt

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brannock posted:

He's mostly right but that proposed "council of top 500 players" should be strictly a feedback group and not actually deciding on the changes.

Also being very good at a game has a high likelihood of your opinion being more worthwhile but even top players have blind spots. They're players, not designers.

I've always found the better feedback doesn't come from the BEST players, but the ones a tier below - usually people that are really good are really good because they're mechanical gods, not necessarily the best at figuring out poo poo with their characters. Also, top players (like everyone else, tbf) have a tendency to either downplay or overstate their characters' weaknesses and strengths. Guy's not wrong about those voices having more weight, but he's also a proper oval office that placed 70 on comp and looks down on people so

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah, the OP is a piece of poo poo but I really do believe in balancing for the top end. Also, that thread got locked!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Ranked is so loving broken, actually gently caress this game man. Having no come back mechanism if any of your team leave is bullshit.

I'm currently in a 4v6 game with no chance of winning

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Looke posted:

Ranked is so loving broken, actually gently caress this game man. Having no come back mechanism if any of your team leave is bullshit.

I'm currently in a 4v6 game with no chance of winning

If I'm understand what you mean by comeback mechanic properly, you want to incentivize teams to pressure their worst player to leave?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

They just need much harsher leaver penalties. There should be maybe 1 grace per week or something for a legit disconnect or RL emergency, and after that pretty harsh penalties to queuing competitive. What they have now is poo poo

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

In Dota if you are a man down, you get increased gold and xp, obviously you can't do that in Overwatch but some kind of shorter c/d on abilites/death time, or even increased damage would make it better.

If you are a person down, you are basically hosed, the least they could do is introduce a lovely AI bot to take over the role of the leaver

I've had a leaver in pretty much every other game, and it seems like nobody really cares about leaving a ranked match

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Looke posted:

In Dota if you are a man down, you get increased gold and xp, obviously you can't do that in Overwatch but some kind of shorter c/d on abilites/death time, or even increased damage would make it better.

If you are a person down, you are basically hosed, the least they could do is introduce a lovely AI bot to take over the role of the leaver

I've had a leaver in pretty much every other game, and it seems like nobody really cares about leaving a ranked match

I would rather increased damage than the worst person on my team

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If you lose people on your team the enemy heads get larger so it gets easier to get headshots. With each man you lose from your team the enemy heads grow in size

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I must be a megasilver because I'm not even sure what a silver is

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ban all :airquote:golds:airquote:, imo.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
If you leave in competitive, but try to queue up into something else within 30 minutes, the game should lock you out of any and all game modes for 24 hours

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dias posted:

I've always found the better feedback doesn't come from the BEST players, but the ones a tier below - usually people that are really good are really good because they're mechanical gods, not necessarily the best at figuring out poo poo with their characters. Also, top players (like everyone else, tbf) have a tendency to either downplay or overstate their characters' weaknesses and strengths. Guy's not wrong about those voices having more weight, but he's also a proper oval office that placed 70 on comp and looks down on people so

In terms of determining who needs balance, literally no human being provides good feedback. That's what statistics are for.

Going to the 500 best players in the game for ideas of what to change once you establish who needs changes isn't a bad place to start, though.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

if you abandon a ranked game you should have the game licence removed from your account and be forced to buy the game again

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

if you leave ranked you should be forced to play as rank 10 for 10 games

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

"Every red team is a balanced mix and every blue team is five Anas and me" is the new "every red team is a premade and every blue team is me and five randos."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

if you leave ranked you should be forced to play as rank 10 for 10 games

this sounds funny but i'm sure there are at least some number of innocent rank 10s and they don't deserve this

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this sounds funny but i'm sure there are at least some number of innocent rank 10s and they don't deserve this

no wait. introduce a leavers league. you stay there until you learn not to leave a ranked match.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

no wait. introduce a leavers league. you stay there until you learn not to leave a ranked match.

isn't this what dota does?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

It gets better tho

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4su6hj/its_just_ptr_its_just_quick_play/?sort=confidence&compact=true

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The funny thing about the 'Dota is balances around high level players' is that oftentimes when a patch hits those very players will be the ones saying 'hey this buff to (whoever) is completely ludicrous what the hell are they thinking and this other nerf makes no sense.' Like, it's balanced AROUND high level play but that doesn't mean they know what needs to happen or have pristine balance changes to impart.

Then again, Dota takes the shotgun approach to balance. In a lot of cases literally every hero in the game will get some small change or another, and they never ever include explanatory paragraphs about 'hey we thought that this ability was too strong so we :words:' in the notes. Like, if you're not familiar here's the most recent major patch. There are like 10 different groups that make up to three hour long patch analysis videos where they just read through the thing and try to figure out what the new meta is going to be, and a week after the patch hits they're almost always universally wrong.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Efexeye posted:

isn't this what dota does?

Yes and its really funny how people constantly complain about their self-inflicted hell.

Amazing

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Y'all must be stuck in leaver queue yourselves because I almost never get my games ruined by people quitting.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

oh boyyyyy

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Lovechop posted:

tracer's accent isn't even english it's just that weird voice americans make when they try to do impressions of us

Her voice actor is British so blame yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Irradiation posted:

Her voice actor is British so blame yourselves.

Presented without comment, here's what she sounds like in real life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-h3J0cFxMU