Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

Got it, i thought your link was the same as the 2.0 patch. I will try again when I get home, thanks for all the help.

Ah, sorry for the confusion. No those 4 files are basically updated files for SCS that are required in order for it to work on BGee/Sod version 2.0 or greater. You need to extract each of them to the relevant SCS folder and over write whatever existing file is in there. Once you've done that for each of those 4 files, SCS should install properly when you go to try to install it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Still busted. I might just give up on SCS, which is lame, but the mod install dance was always my least favorite part of this game.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
when you install BG mods why the hell does it take so long vs installing mods for other games?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Entropy238 posted:

when you install BG mods why the hell does it take so long vs installing mods for other games?

Because the Infinity Engine is badly coded and a pain in the rear end to work with.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sorry for the double post, but SHS and G3 are back up for your downloading needs.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Because the Infinity Engine is badly coded and a pain in the rear end to work with.

State of the art in 1998, I tell you.

NWN is far better with regards to modding, albeit the hardcoded features in that are busting my balls to this day. But it was also made to BE modded.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
One thing I always wondered about BG was the weird scripting language they had. The game already uses lua for debugging, so I wonder why it wasn't used for scripting as well. Maybe the reason was performance - not quite sure what kind of representation the scrips are compiled to (some kind of bytecode would be my guess), but maybe lua didn't give them the performance characteristics they needed in 1998.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

This isn't about the Infinity Engine games per se but this is the closest place I could think of to ask.

I've been playing Neverwinter Nights 2 lately and it's pretty fun. However, there isn't a dedicated thread on SA for the NWN series any more - the closest thing is this thread, which fell into the archives a while ago. It's filled with some fantastic information, but even so, it's 3 years out of date, most of the links are dead, and with the thread closed there's no place on SA to discuss or ask questions about the NWN games.

So is there a better place to discuss the NWN games now? Or could someone more knowledgeable about the games than me take a crack at starting a new thread? I'm sure there have been tons of developments in the NWN scene since the last thread closed down.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I was watching a review in youtube about the film Lifeforce (1985), a Sci-fi/horror movie, and when I heard it's main theme, I knew I've heard it somewhere else but wasn't sure where, and then I realised is one of the hemes in Baldur's Gate EE and my head exploded. The soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsV7TuNMr5M

Holy crap Beamdog :psyduck:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nope, it was Bioware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgfwq5SBQ3Q

Reminds me of what happened with the original Metal Gear Solid theme song.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Kavak posted:

Nope, it was Bioware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgfwq5SBQ3Q

Reminds me of what happened with the original Metal Gear Solid theme song.

I stand corrected then, it's awesome to still be able to discover more new things from such an old game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What happened with the original MGS theme?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Wildtortilla posted:

What happened with the original MGS theme?

Google led me here: http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_Main_Theme#Controversy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XblPR_O9lxU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cirosan posted:

This isn't about the Infinity Engine games per se but this is the closest place I could think of to ask.

I've been playing Neverwinter Nights 2 lately and it's pretty fun. However, there isn't a dedicated thread on SA for the NWN series any more - the closest thing is this thread, which fell into the archives a while ago. It's filled with some fantastic information, but even so, it's 3 years out of date, most of the links are dead, and with the thread closed there's no place on SA to discuss or ask questions about the NWN games.

So is there a better place to discuss the NWN games now? Or could someone more knowledgeable about the games than me take a crack at starting a new thread? I'm sure there have been tons of developments in the NWN scene since the last thread closed down.

Not sure a NWN thread would have much traffic these days. I do like the NWN games so if you did make a thread I'd probably post in it but I don't know who else would.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Holy crap Beamdog BioWare :psyduck:

In fairness, the devs probably didn't realize this theme was copied. In doubt, I'd blame Michael Hoenig. Though I'm biased, as I never liked Baldur's Gate 1's soundtrack much in the first place.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

That's a pretty good find. As opposed to Fair Bear Maiden, I really like the BG1 soundtrack. I actually think all the infinity engine games have brilliant soundtracks, I can't wait for Mark Morgan to return for Numenera. Sam Hulik has done a really good job with the Enhanced Edition tracks aswell, they slot really well into the series.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cirosan posted:

Ginette Reno posted:

Not sure a NWN thread would have much traffic these days. I do like the NWN games so if you did make a thread I'd probably post in it but I don't know who else would.

I used to follow that thread and was disappointed when it lost momentum and went to the Land of Grey (a.k.a. the archives). I would personally have no problem with this being the D&D Video Games thread in general, but I'm not the boss around here, just expressing an opinion.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I would personally have no problem with this being the D&D Video Games thread in general, but I'm not the boss around here, just expressing an opinion.

CRPG thread so I can talk about arcanum and you have a deal

Fortunately/unfortunately a crpg thread would mean you could talk about Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny unless you just flat out state "games made before 2010 only"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mortimer posted:

Fortunately/unfortunately a crpg thread would mean you could talk about Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny unless you just flat out state "games made before 2010 only"

"Don't talk about CRPGs that already have their own thread" is not some mystical rule no one has ever thought about before. :v:

Just make this the Retro CRPG Thread or whatever, so people can talk about Infinity Engine/NWN/Goldbox/etc. all in one thread.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The Old School PC RPG Megathread already exists, and even has Arcanum right there in the OP: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473537

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Veib posted:

The Old School PC RPG Megathread already exists, and even has Arcanum right there in the OP: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473537

Well, there you go, I'm an idiot. :downs:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Veib posted:

I have that one bookmarked, but it gets minimal traffic. I think that this should be the D&D electronic RPG thread, frankly. The vast majority of the discussion will still be about the Infinity Engine games as those are very replayable, extremely popular and recently had a lick of paint for the 21st century, but people would feel open to talk about the NWN games and those old, classic games that are on GOG now like Pool of Radiance, Eye of the Beholder and so on.

Virtually all of these games are based off of 1st or 2nd edition rules and often recycle similar characters and locations, so I think that it makes sense to have a thread for electronic games in those worlds. That is, of course, just one man's opinion.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm cool with that as long as it doesn't include mmos.

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000
I'm planning to play through the entire series: BGEE, SOD, and BG2EE. I've played through the original series a few times and I played through BGEE once about a year ago but I haven't played SOD or BG2EE. What would be the most fun way to play through the whole series both in terms of the PC and my party members? Please note that I'm not asking about the easiest playthrough, the most overpowered playthrough, or the most challenging playthrough. I've played the game several times and I'd like to have a lot of fun e.g., access the most interesting parts of the games, see the most entertaining interparty dialogue, find and use the most interesting items and spells. Suggestions? Are any of the new NPCs worth taking through part of all of the series (I think I picked up a female mage in BGEE and didn't pick up the monk...?)?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mortimer posted:

CRPG thread so I can talk about arcanum and you have a deal

I would love to read a bunch of Arcanum chat. I love the game but there is so little info out there about it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Captain Kevbo posted:

I'm planning to play through the entire series: BGEE, SOD, and BG2EE. I've played through the original series a few times and I played through BGEE once about a year ago but I haven't played SOD or BG2EE. What would be the most fun way to play through the whole series both in terms of the PC and my party members? Please note that I'm not asking about the easiest playthrough, the most overpowered playthrough, or the most challenging playthrough. I've played the game several times and I'd like to have a lot of fun e.g., access the most interesting parts of the games, see the most entertaining interparty dialogue, find and use the most interesting items and spells. Suggestions? Are any of the new NPCs worth taking through part of all of the series (I think I picked up a female mage in BGEE and didn't pick up the monk...?)?

This is really quite subjective, so take my opinion with a grain of salt~

I would recommend playing either as a cleric/mage multiclass, or a fighter dual classed to thief (dual at fighter level 9).

The former is for if you want to delve into the spell system. Its potentially the most powerful PC in the game, particularly by the end of BG2/start of TOB. But it relies on you knowing the spell systems well, or at least being willing to read a lot about the different spells.

Fighter/thief is not the most powerful combo, but it's fun imo because you can take a really active role in the group. You can scout ahead in stealth, knowing that if you get into trouble you've got fighter levels so you can hold your own. You will also open each fight with a decent backstab.

NPCs are pretty dependant on what you choose as PC. Neera is the best of the new NPCs imo. Other favourites are Edwin and Minsc, though you have to exploit the remove party mechanics a bit to get them both in the same party in BG1 - it's not difficult to do. In BG2 Jan is another comic option, along with Minsc and Edwin again. Kivan is the strongest NPC in BG1, while Keldorn, Edwin and Aerie are the strongest in BG2. Kivan or Keldorn could solo each game, respectively, so if you want a crutch to make the game a bit more forgiving then definitely roll with them.

SOD I haven't played yet so can't comment on that~

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

if you're playing on normal or core rules, SoD doesn't have anything gamebreakingly hard or bullshit and can accommodate pretty much any party. They also give you an NPC that can probably solo the game if played really really well.

SoD also gives you the option to recruit any NPC from BGEE, even ones you killed or didn't talk to. If you want the extreme experience look up their quests and do them, some of the BGEE NPC quests are fun. Otherwise you'll have the monk saying "CHARNAME remember how great a time we had?" and you can be like uhhh yeah dude I left you in Friendly Arms for a week.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I thought that I would drop into this here thread to link Mages and Murderdads: A Baldur's Gate Show. It's a podcast a friend and I are doing that is sort of like a let's play, sort of like a diary, and just generally a really good time. Some people seem to really enjoy it, and there's already been some weird stuff happen in both of our games. In any case, you can check it out on Youtube here if that sounds interesting to you. We're currently up to our fourth episode and I think we've hit an interesting stride.

Come for the Baldur's Gate, stay for the demiogres.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kunzelman posted:

I thought that I would drop into this here thread to link Mages and Murderdads: A Baldur's Gate Show. It's a podcast a friend and I are doing that is sort of like a let's play, sort of like a diary, and just generally a really good time. Some people seem to really enjoy it, and there's already been some weird stuff happen in both of our games. In any case, you can check it out on Youtube here if that sounds interesting to you. We're currently up to our fourth episode and I think we've hit an interesting stride.

Come for the Baldur's Gate, stay for the demiogres.

Were you being ironic when you said Wizard Slayer was a popular solo character? Because 8 minutes into the first episode and I'm seriously questioning if you've played the game that much.

Edit: Yeah, everytime you talk about lore or mechanics it sounds like that youtube video of the girl who has never seen Star Wars describing the plot of Star Wars.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 22, 2016

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Skwirl posted:

Were you being ironic when you said Wizard Slayer was a popular solo character? Because 8 minutes into the first episode and I'm seriously questioning if you've played the game that much.

Edit: Yeah, everytime you talk about lore or mechanics it sounds like that youtube video of the girl who has never seen Star Wars describing the plot of Star Wars.

Yeah that was pointed out immediately to me after it went up -- I was getting the Kensai and the Wizard Slayer confused.

Neither of us have played the games in a long time, and sometimes we're wrong! But we're excited to learn and figure out our mistakes (and maybe that's something interesting for the long arc of the show?). In either case, thanks for listening to it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Holy poo poo got the best roll of my life when making my Paladin.

Also I listened to all 4 episodes of that podcast and it was entertaining enough but a bunch of your information is wrong. Still keep doing it I guess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Anybody try a run with a low strength fighter that just got by on strength enhancing items? It seems like it'd be doable in BG2 at least. I can't remember how early you get the first gloves.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Last ironman I played a kitless human fighter with 10 in every stat all the way to ToB. BG1 wasn't remarkably any harder for it. The gloves of ogre strength are in the city, so chapter 5, but you never really have to melee before that, and if you feel like meleeing anyway, just use one of the many strength enhancing potions the game keeps throwing your way. The EE also has that belt of 19 STR / 6 INT but I don't know where it is.

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 29, 2016

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Suspicious posted:

Last ironman I played a kitless human fighter with 10 in every stat all the way to ToB.

Joe Average was great - whatever technical problem it was that derailed the LP was heartbreaking.

I don't remember... did you ever finish that run non-ironman just for giggles?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Nah, I permanently lost Jaheira and just said gently caress it. I prolly could have used Mazzy or whoever but eh.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

Last ironman I played a kitless human fighter with 10 in every stat all the way to ToB. BG1 wasn't remarkably any harder for it. The gloves of ogre strength are in the city, so chapter 5, but you never really have to melee before that, and if you feel like meleeing anyway, just use one of the many strength enhancing potions the game keeps throwing your way. The EE also has that belt of 19 STR / 6 INT but I don't know where it is.

You get the 19 str belt when you do Rasaad's quest. I think you have to go to BG city to trigger his quest though and most people won't want Rasaad because monks blow chunks in bg1.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm installing a new BGT setup a kinda small kinda medium amount of mods. Nothing insane just some new npcs some tweaks and SCS. Not tons of new content which I never found all that great. I think I am gonna try to get a monk from bg 1 to tob. Should be fun.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm installing a new BGT setup a kinda small kinda medium amount of mods. Nothing insane just some new npcs some tweaks and SCS. Not tons of new content which I never found all that great. I think I am gonna try to get a monk from bg 1 to tob. Should be fun.

I've done it before, and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. There are more than enough powerful NPC's to carry literally any PC through the game easily.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Buy the amulet of shield from the Nashkel carnival and use it a lot. It will save you a lot of grief. Sell and rebuy it whenever it's about to run out of charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
What race is more fun as a barb: halfling or elf?