Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Pretty sure there's a bunch of mods on nexus that do that exact thing, although I've never bothered with any of them so I can't say how well they work.

Unfortunately Bethesda is going to be a little late getting the PS4 mods patch out. Probably well after I get bored with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Honestly, other than the crafting-expanding and settlement-expanding mods, there doesn't seem to be anything TRULY amazing out for FO4 yet, mod-wise.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?

hup posted:

Hold the pip boy button, it replaces that light.

In addition, you can color code the headlamps and give them to settlers/companions so you can always find them in the dark! I don't know if this affects stealth mechanics, but it helped me keep track of everyone in the sprawl of Sanctuary.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

hxcorpse posted:

In addition, you can color code the headlamps and give them to settlers/companions so you can always find them in the dark! I don't know if this affects stealth mechanics, but it helped me keep track of everyone in the sprawl of Sanctuary.

Oh wow, that's awesome.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC
Finally got back to Spectacle Island, and my experimentation with combining building elements grows apace. I do like these stairs a little bit better:

Not-finished back side that will be used for residential and probably trading. Warehouse/abattoir on the right.

Whimsically festooned in glass and aluminum.

And your host, The Mechanist!

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Well, poo poo. I can't build scavenging benches at either the Mechanist's Lair or that bleak little concrete slab at Boston Airport - I was going to set up some robot sweatshops and just kick back and let the scrap flow in. :smith:

Maybe Covenant will do - the last home of the defenders of humanity being turned into lifeless mechanisms stripping the pinnacle of man's work into bins of materials. :science:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So it really funny watching Bethesda show off the Vault Tec DLC on Twitch; they show off these decent size vaults, but are absolutely devoid of things inside because the vault has the same build limit as every other settlement. :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nice. Clean furtniture. Now we can make settlements that look posh.

OOOH hey, we also have a companion-finder ability with the new Personnel Management Terminals!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only interesting part of FH's main quest was when they domed DiMA and I rushed to loot his corpse while everyone was being all solemn and Ada said, "Make sure you don't leave anything useful behind.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any way to tell Minutemen settlements from non minutemen settlements?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've lost at the least 4 or 5 hours total on this character to crashes and glitch deaths. This game is just entirely too unstable to be considered a finished product.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I've lost at the least 4 or 5 hours total on this character to crashes and glitch deaths. This game is just entirely too unstable to be considered a finished product.

Console? I've got like 400 hours in and could count on one hand how many crashes I've had on the PC. Most of those mod related

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yep, PS4.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

Honestly, other than the crafting-expanding and settlement-expanding mods, there doesn't seem to be anything TRULY amazing out for FO4 yet, mod-wise.

There's a few great powerarmor/armor mods but yeah. I can't recommend cross cybernetics enough if you don't want to gently caress with full on powerarmor.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has anyone done a SPERG level redesign of the perk system yet? I think that nearly half the perks are either outright useless, boring, or unbalanced, so that would be what I'd most want. Unfortunately something like that seems like it'd never come to the PS4 mod market, assuming that the mod market ever even exists.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
As far as mods go, I've really been enjoying having multiple followers. I like it in general because "gently caress you I want a posse" but i hated in mechanist originally that i could only bring a robot to the final fight.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's not a complete overhaul but Perk Paths (goon made, goon approved!) shakes up the level progression a bit - it disperses some of the more vestigial perks (you can unlock craft stations through craft perks, etc) and does away with level requirements in favor of (obviously) perk branch paths and SPECIAL score requirements / prereq perks that get progressively more costly.

So for example, say you have a sniper character and you want to punch holes in light cover. You unlock the "sharpshooter" path straight off the bat, locking yourself out of the "duelist" path that favors pistols. That choice in turn unlocks a couple of sniping-based perks. The first rank of the cover penetration perk has light requirements but the second rank that removes cover penalties entirely requires 10 AG.

Let's say you then want to be sneaky so that you can get good vantage points. You unlock the "spook" path, preventing you from taking the "bruiser" path (tank-y combat and, unfortunately, strong back perks) in the future. Your first two ranks of sneak are pretty easy to get, but the third requires you to have two ranks in the ninja perk, the second of which requires 7 AG. It's like that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's not a complete overhaul but Perk Paths (goon made, goon approved!) shakes up the level progression a bit - it disperses some of the more vestigial perks (you can unlock craft stations through craft perks, etc) and does away with level requirements in favor of (obviously) perk branch paths and SPECIAL score requirements / prereq perks that get progressively more costly.

So for example, say you have a sniper character and you want to punch holes in light cover. You unlock the "sharpshooter" path straight off the bat, locking yourself out of the "duelist" path that favors pistols. That choice in turn unlocks a couple of sniping-based perks. The first rank of the cover penetration perk has light requirements but the second rank that removes cover penalties entirely requires 10 AG.

Let's say you then want to be sneaky so that you can get good vantage points. You unlock the "spook" path, preventing you from taking the "bruiser" path (tank-y combat and, unfortunately, strong back perks) in the future. Your first two ranks of sneak are pretty easy to get, but the third requires you to have two ranks in the ninja perk, the second of which requires 7 AG. It's like that.

How tedious does this make navigating the perk system?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It takes a bit of planning. But the game's designed to be playable by most any character so you won't exactly be screwed if you suddenly find out that it will be another 3 levels til you get the one you really want. I'm pretty sure the two exclusive branches I mentioned (duelist / sharpshooter and bruiser / spook) are the only ones of their kind, so you don't have to worry so much about that.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Fallout Shelter PC is out. Requires the bethesda launcher.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Blech. I wanted to love Shelter but I hate games where you just build poo poo for no reason- aww gently caress but I love settlements!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Blech. I wanted to love Shelter but I hate games where you just build poo poo for no reason- aww gently caress but I love settlements!

Heh, I'd say settlement stuff in Fallout 4 does have a point. The pleasure of aesthetics. (And farmers who make more junk for you.)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Speedball posted:

Heh, I'd say settlement stuff in Fallout 4 does have a point. The pleasure of aesthetics. (And farmers who make more junk for you.)

I came around on settlements when I realized scavenger stations increased junk collection. You can get useful stuff through that. Anyone else love those?

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
More junk so you can build more scavenger stations!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

pmchem posted:

I came around on settlements when I realized scavenger stations increased junk collection. You can get useful stuff through that. Anyone else love those?

In Vanilla the scavenger stations will stop producing junk when you have (IIRC) 100 pieces of any junk item, which includes components. So, for example, if you have 50 wood and 50 concrete in your workbench in Sanctuary then junk stations in Sanctuary won't produce anything at all.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Seashell Salesman posted:

In Vanilla the scavenger stations will stop producing junk when you have (IIRC) 100 pieces of any junk item, which includes components. So, for example, if you have 50 wood and 50 concrete in your workbench in Sanctuary then junk stations in Sanctuary won't produce anything at all.

Sure, but there are many ways around that. For example:
1. Build a container next to the workbench and move/store junk there each visit.
2. Store all junk from all settlements in one central settlement.
3. Build a contraption like this guy: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/4q4g6i/question_scavenging_stations_scrapping_materials/ to break down junk into crafting components, allowing continued scavenging (or do it yourself).
4. Grab it and sell it.

Any of those options allow continued high rate scavenging at almost any settlement, perhaps limited by needing to visit them to continue production. But if you never visit anyway...

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

pmchem posted:

Sure, but there are many ways around that. For example:
1. Build a container next to the workbench and move/store junk there each visit.
2. Store all junk from all settlements in one central settlement.
3. Build a contraption like this guy: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/4q4g6i/question_scavenging_stations_scrapping_materials/ to break down junk into crafting components, allowing continued scavenging (or do it yourself).
4. Grab it and sell it.

Any of those options allow continued high rate scavenging at almost any settlement, perhaps limited by needing to visit them to continue production. But if you never visit anyway...

None of that seems like the fun kind of challenge to me. I just use a mod to remove the arbitrary limit.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Surely I must be the only guy who, upon encountering Dunwich Borers for the first time, in a Survival Game and a good 90+ mins past the last save point, saw an ominous well of water and thought "I'll just take my tricked out power armor and see what's at the bottom!"

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Basic Chunnel posted:

That seems pretty cool. Hopefully I get to play with it at some point. I actually mocked up a perk redesign for FO4 around when it came out, and it has some similar ideas, which is neat to see independently. I actually really ended up liking the move away from discrete skills (ala FO3), but I wish the perks had been better designed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Surely I must be the only guy who, upon encountering Dunwich Borers for the first time, in a Survival Game and a good 90+ mins past the last save point, saw an ominous well of water and thought "I'll just take my tricked out power armor and see what's at the bottom!"

I did it too! Hahahahaha. We are both morons!

Thank goodness I at least had Aqua Boy at the time...

It goes up for every settler population (by five per, but still) and I found out that the way to get more settlers in a settlement is to make sure none of them are unemployed, because with four or more unemployed settlers no more will come, so scavenging stations are still pretty handy, item cap or not.

Besides I tend to build a shitload of stuff and that eats up a lot of the crafting materials, making room for more. You shouldn't have too many problems with too much stuff appearing in the workbench unless you're idling with like 20 settlers in all 24 settlements all farming junk. (which some people do...)

EDIT: Also, whoever suggested giving mining hats to your settlers, that was brilliant. And a little spooky. I gave one each to the Longs and now I can see them coming in the dark many yards away.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 14, 2016

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Speedball posted:

I did it too! Hahahahaha. We are both morons!

Thank goodness I at least had Aqua Boy at the time...

It goes up for every settler population (by five per, but still) and I found out that the way to get more settlers in a settlement is to make sure none of them are unemployed, because with four or more unemployed settlers no more will come, so scavenging stations are still pretty handy, item cap or not.

Besides I tend to build a shitload of stuff and that eats up a lot of the crafting materials, making room for more. You shouldn't have too many problems with too much stuff appearing in the workbench unless you're idling with like 20 settlers in all 24 settlements all farming junk. (which some people do...)

EDIT: Also, whoever suggested giving mining hats to your settlers, that was brilliant. And a little spooky. I gave one each to the Longs and now I can see them coming in the dark many yards away.

I don't think I have ever had a settlement after, like, the Concord Museum bit, that had less than 100 bits of junk in it.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I don't think I have ever had a settlement after, like, the Concord Museum bit, that had less than 100 bits of junk in it.

If wood and steel counts, than I have more than 100 pieces of junk in my workbench before I leave Sanctuary.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Basic Chunnel posted:

Oh yes did that.

On my current playthrough I'm not using vats and the game became harder but also a lot more fun. I never thought about it. But besides for some sniping. I think I used vats for everything else.

My style quickly went away from slow firing weapons and I started using weapons with a higher rate of fire. Weapons that were previously unimpressive with VATs. But automatic weapons are still pretty week end game and the 2 shot mod is almost required to not make fights tedious where you have to hold down enemies and feed them two and a half magazines in the face to kill them.

I've been using these weapons:

2 shot fully automatic 10mm pistol:

Perfectly balanced really. Does alright damage to most targets

Explosive .44 (literal hand cannon)

Hilarious on low level raiders were even a stray shot within a meter will dismember them. On high level super mutants the explosive shots stagger them well. Probably one of the most fun and balanced weapons I've had. (will cripple you if used at close ranges)

2 shot combat rifle

Modded into a silenced SMB. Fairly balanced and fun.

2 shot .50 snipe rifle.

Speaks for itself.

I also have a Gatling laser modded for maximum speed and so DPS. On regular enemies its fun and balanced but higher level enemies quickly turn into bullet sponges and you end up having to fire 250 shots to kill a single high level synth/gunner commander.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I built a manufactorum to produce .45 ammo to start off, but I couldn't find steel in my inventory, then I realize that steel from crafting was coming form junk I picked up. Guess i should find a shipment of steel to make ammo.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It would be easier to just pick up all the tin cans and wrenches you find. It would be even easier to take all the cheap guns you loot from raiders and melt them down.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Basic Chunnel posted:

It would be easier to just pick up all the tin cans and wrenches you find. It would be even easier to take all the cheap guns you loot from raiders and melt them down.

Melt all the cars and form supply lines.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I built a manufactorum to produce .45 ammo to start off, but I couldn't find steel in my inventory, then I realize that steel from crafting was coming form junk I picked up. Guess i should find a shipment of steel to make ammo.

Assuming you don't know this, you can break down all the ruined houses and cars and such in sanctuary and get over 1000 steel.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Does anyone know why Preston wouldn't be giving any radiant Minutemen quests? A dream come true for some, but I just started my Minutemen run and finished turning in the Corvega/Tenpines quest. I got the flare gun, quest completed and instead of his usual constant nagging about settlements he won't mention them. He's my companion at the moment, but i tried dismissing him and grabbing him again while out in the field and he still says nothing. A quick google suggests the issue was present in the Survival Beta but that has long since ended and 'fixed'.

edit: a little more googling lead me to my issue, I think. 'We Are The Minutemen' mod adds a cooldown period for quests from him, I just missed that detail when browsing the mod page.

graynull fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 14, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Orange Sunshine posted:

Assuming you don't know this, you can break down all the ruined houses and cars and such in sanctuary and get over 1000 steel.

Oh yea, I already denuded Sanctuary of everything scappable long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah Shelter was fun for about a week, then you reach the point where you realize everything you built up to that point was to balance your Vault's resource consumption, and once you've done that with the low-tier resource rooms the only thing left to build are...more advanced resource rooms.

• Locked thread