Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Congrats to the W's and shame on me for not believing in them without Jack McDowell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
At first glance I thought this was set up to be a rerun of the dungeon master's guide writeup but it took it in a new and original direction. Nicely done. :)

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
I actually did want to say something as a post-mortem to that series, because Pander apparently did want to make some changes to his roster but ran out of time.

Personally, I don't think there were any changes that would have really changed things. I know there weren't any changes he could have made on offense, because the Panderers have a ton of guys, but none of them are real impact guys.

I guess that he could have tried to bring in a few more right-handed hitters against Wanderlei and Carlton, but who? Bob Elliott in the outfield, even with a platoon advantage, doesn't seem like an improvement over what the Panderers were starting out there. Elliott can play 3B, but the Panderers already have a right-handed 3B in Traynor. Cronin clearly is suffering some sort of rating plague, and so wasn't going to do much good, and would probably shred his team's defense. There's no much in the minors that was going to improve things either. For better or worse, the Panderers had what they had on offense, and there's a limit to what Pander could do, with what he had on hand at the time, to improve them.

As far as the pitching, I would guess, and Pander can tell me I'm wrong if I am, but I would guess that one thing he did want to do was keep Jack Powell from pitching in the Coliseum because, well, you saw what happened when he did pitch there. He gave up three home runs to Adam Dunn. It was bad. And it's fair to say that the only starting pitcher in the Panderers' front four that Dunn was going to hit three home runs off of, or any home runs off of, was going to be Powell, and it would only happen if Powell was pitching in the Coliseum. Then again, it's not like any of the Panderers' pitchers did that well in the Coliseum anyway. Still, Hamels might have had a better chance, especially since most of the W's power hitters are left-handed pitchers.

The problem with the Panderers is that, outside of their stadium, they're not a fully formed team. They can dominate inside the Pander Dome, but they're weak enough on the road that if they lose home-field advantage, then they lose the series, which is what happened in this series.

Also, I know it's fun to look at the W's and wonder how the hell they made it this far, but, you know something? The W's start their rotation with Cy Young and Pete Alexander, which is the exact same thing I do with the Macho Men, and they have a solid lineup. They're a good team.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I would play this game. Though with my luck I'd fail so many successive rolls that it'd reach crisis point and then fail again.

Anyway, congrats to the W's.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Can someone explain to me how the hell that game works, I'm a jock not a nerd.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Pungry posted:

Can someone explain to me how the hell that game works, I'm a jock not a nerd.

Bet on W's, unless Pander shenanigans, in which case bet more on W's.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Beautiful. Sorry Pander, but at least this way there's a chance for you to spread even more evil next year! Wait, that's not an upside...

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Ok everyone design your own deck and then instead of re-pointing the feeders we can collectively assign stats to every player and then we can transition from LPing BBM to SuperLeague: the Board Game.

Actually I guess the fairest thing is for everyone to design an opponent's deck.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION

Mornacale only

You forfeit the right to make any changes to your lineup or play any cards for the next two turns. All player gain +5 to their rolls.

"This Super League...it bores me. *SNIFF* Maybe I'll check back later but for now I'm gonna go do something intelligent, like post endlessly on Twitter." -Mornacale

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
That was a brilliant series write-up. The playoffs are a joy to read, even when you don't have a horse in the race.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
ENTER SYNDICATION

Marauder only

Restart the game. You may draw an entirely new deck. Your opponent must use the same deck as the current game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

FairGame posted:

ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION

Mornacale only

You forfeit the right to make any changes to your lineup or play any cards for the next two turns. All player gain +5 to their rolls.

"This Super League...it bores me. *SNIFF* Maybe I'll check back later but for now I'm gonna go do something intelligent, like post endlessly on Twitter." -Mornacale

This looks fun.

Trade Madness

Randomly select two players from your bench or bullpen pool, then swap them with two randomly selected players from your opponent's bench or bullpen pool.

"Hey, I want to trade for your Heilmann! ...what do you mean, I already traded for your Heilmann last season? Well, then trade me for him so I can trade you for him!" -FairGame

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Aperture Syndrome

Pick any player and cut that players production in half for 80% of the season/series. Additionally, every other turn roll d3 to determine if they should receive a status of "tired", "sore", or "out for the season".

gently caress these under-performing motherfuckers, JIMMIE FOXX TO CATCHER! DAN BROUTHERS TO CLOSER!
-Craigk K

shepard.shouldgo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 14, 2016

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Clone Vats
Zephyrs only

Take one player in your rotation. Duplicate it, but add a -1 token to each to simulate the effects of cellular degeneration. This card does not leave the player's hand even if played. Degeneration stacks.

"I have no use for any pitcher save Schilling. Bring me one Schilling, and I will turn him into an army that I will use to conquer my foes. Nothing could possibly go wrong with this plan." -- TheMcD

"Accidental" Plague
Target one player that is common to multiple teams. Roll dice to determine how much of a malus is applied to all such players.

"I didn't mean to cause a plague! I was only trying to help! Dad was right, science is hard :(" -- Monicro

The Roman Reigns Protocol
HulkaMatt only

Loudly declare your love for Roman Reigns. While the GM is incapacitated from rage at your perfidy, grant yourself +3 to your run generation rolls. You cannot lose on this turn.

"He's the big dog, the people's champion. What do you mean my love for Roman Reigns causes Smasher physical pain? That's only because he cannot deny Roman's greatness!" -- HulkaMatt

The Flesh is Weak

The MACHINE asserts its superiority over other, lesser meatbag shortstops. Your run prevention rolls are +4 for the duration of the game. This card cannot be played in the presence of the Masked Shortstop.

"Failure Unit Beet trusts flesh too much. Programming will show humans are an evolutionary dead-end. All will acknowledge ascendancy of iron and logic boards." -- The MACHINE

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'm trying to think of something for my team and I don't really have anything, which I think speaks to how boring and cookie-cutter the Warriors are

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
New Victim Owner

Replace any starting pitcher in your opponent's lineup with a Replacement Player token.

Hey guys, here's my team! Randy Johnson is good, right? --DivineCoffeeBinge

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

shepard.shouldgo posted:

Aperture Syndrome

Pick any player and cut that players production in half for 80% of the season/series. Additionally, every other turn roll d3 to determine if they should receive a status of "tired", "sore", or "out for the season".

gently caress these under-performing motherfuckers, JIMMIE FOXX TO CATCHER! DAN BROUTHERS TO CLOSER!
-Craigk K

wrong, nerd

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yaya posted:

I'm trying to think of something for my team and I don't really have anything, which I think speaks to how boring and cookie-cutter the Warriors are

Well, there could be some generic cards that apply to them.

Lack Of Depth, No Lack Of Talent:

Forfeit three quarters of your players from your bench and bullpen pools for the rest of the game. Add +3 to your run prevention and production rolls from talent gained by trading away depth.

"Wait, he's out for how long? poo poo." -Yaya

Also, this one might work? Balancing isn't exactly something I can do.

Sprinting Like A Maniac:

Select a player on your lineup. The carryover bonus for the next two batters is at least 20 due to superior speed.

"Wow, my center fielder stole more bases than some entire teams! This kicks rear end!" -Yaya

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
wait why did i put "3" i meant "17"

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Good job ForeverBWFC! I'm kinda glad I lost, it ensures the macho men will entertain the masses with bloody spectacle this season. And what a crazy series. The relief pitching line from game one alone is hysterical. Nick Vincent and Craig kimbrel combine for like 6 innings and 14 strikeouts. Insane.

Smasher: I agree there was probably nothing to be changed. My hitters were who they were. My rotation was probably optimal, I just expected deadball Powell to limit the power bats better and for Spahn and Randy to not be so terrible. I was more posting about not setting a lineup because I hadn't even looked at how it was set up and worried something was horribly off.

I do like seeing Kershaw and Hamels being a great 1-2 at home. Young and Alexander are hard to score off, even for a team that should theoretically love dinking and doinking them to death.

That writeup was so great. I love the mentholmoose card. Really rubbing some salt into that wound.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Statistical Anomaly

Halve the ratings of all Legendary players on your team, then double the ratings of all non-Legendary players on your team.

"How is Frank loving Chance the best batter on my team?" -EclecticTastes

Three-Man Bullpen
EclecticTastes only

Discard all but three Bullpen Tokens, the remaining tokens gain +2 to all values.

"I have no idea why nobody's ever tried this before. How hard can it be to find three reliably talented relievers?" -EclecticTastes

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Known Outcome to the Season
CraigK only

If the number of games remaining in the season is how many games the Aperture Scientists are above or below an 82-80 final record, the Scientists win or lose every remaining game in such a way that results in their achieving an 82-80 record.

"of loving COURSE"
-CraigK

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Hand Grenade
DannoMack only

Eliminate a token of your choosing from the opponent's side for the duration of the series.

"So many choices! See? The grenade is fun!"
-DannoMack

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
:siren: Split cards, y'all!

Left Face of Contact//Right Face of Power (Janus)
Your left-handed hitters get +3 Contact and -3 Power (min 1) until end of game.
Your pitchers with >=50 GB% get +1 to all rolls until end of game.

"Babe Ruth in a stadium that kills left-handers. You loving idiot." -CraigK
//
Your right-handed hitters get -3 Contact (min 1) and +3 Power until end of game.
Your pitchers with <45 GB% get +1 to all rolls until end of game.

"Yeah, sure, I'm worried about a team starting Harmon Killebrew." -CraigK

Trade Madness//Trade Sadness (Janus/RCMP/Jobbers/Villains)
The team that made more trades this season gets +1 to all rolls until end of game.
(No effect if tied.)

Trades are life.
//
The team that made more trades this season gets -1 to all rolls until end of game.
(No effect if tied.)

Trades are death.

Autopilot//Micromanage (Janus)
Play Autopilot only if you have not made any lineup or rotation changes this series.
You may not make any lineup or rotation changes this series.
Once per game, after making a roll, you may change the results of the dice.
//
Platoon effects are doubled in this series.

God of Change (Janus)
Each player discards their hand and draws two cards.

UNIQUE Endings and Beginnings (Janus)
Play Beginnings and Endings only if at least two games (including the current one) remain in the series.
You lose the current game.
You win the next game.

"I know who I want to take me home."

UNIQUE Monateam! (Calamities/Wonderfulls/HHH/Bloggers/Janus/Muggers/Nine)
Monathin, the Voice of Monateam, forces target pitcher to make a meltdown check.
Monicro, the Heart of Monateam, restores target pitcher to full stamina.
Mornacale, the Brain of Monateam, allows you to rearrange your lineup.

I suspect that Trade Madness/Sadness is overpowered, but that's what Development is for.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

All For (Jugger)Naught

Randomly select a token from your lineup. Replace three other players in your lineup with duplicates of that token.

"Quad Foxx! What can go wrong?"
-factorialite

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
These playoffs have been a grand adventure in the writing of Smasher, including fine adaptations of epic poems and the oldest surviving written work of something that could be called the English language. To top that off, he gave you guys a dubious framework for a boardgame adaptation of the game of baseball. In any case, I cannot wait for what is to come. As CFBalla said himself, every turning point betwixt both our teams has been connected. From the Piracy Note I won before SLX and traded to CFBalla which allowed him to claim the Tornados, our fates have been intertwined. If ever there was a matchup that would resonate through the history of this league, it is coming tomorrow. Envelope be damned, I made that upstart what he is. May we finally find a reckoning tomorrow.

Edit: Hubris, maybe, but if this ends in a Ws-Sheikhs finals, I'm going up against the Macho Men. Three enter, one leaves.

Beet fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 15, 2016

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
As per FairGame's request I have prepared an image in the event the Space Fish are relegated today.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yaya posted:

As per FairGame's request I have prepared an image in the event the Space Fish are relegated today.

Or Sunday!

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

FairGame posted:

Or Sunday!

or tuesday if Ctuhlu decides not to suicide his team

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I am very happy to call an end to this week, and now I will have more time to devote to the important things: making posts about fictional base ball clubs.

The tiebreaker is head-to-head record... let's take a look:

Dusty wins! Dusty wins!

Team Statistics

Finally, the student has become the master, or something.

Remember when we talked about clone degeneration earlier? Well,

That's a tough way to go out. Real tough. RIP George Mullin.

The Petes seem to be extremely powerful in this setting. That means a tough team to beat.

Pick 'em: That Famous Event We All Know And Even Watch For Some Reason
This Sunday Probably At Like 4:00 Eastern!
Pick the winner, number of games, and score of the last game

Jersey City Jobbers @ Genoa Janus

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Fox....DIE!

E: the new bullpen and Rosen did well! But when every Brown is awful it's too much to overcome.

Go Dusty go.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Omaha loses their lives on the last day and the SPACEFISH shock the world. RIP.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Dusty Baker apparently be murdering people like he's Chelsea Baker, or he really wants to get back to Melissa.

ROSTER CHANGES

new rotation as Cy has been my weakest pitcher 3 straight rounds.

SP1 Smokey Joe Wood
SP2 Jack Powell
SP3 Cy Young
SP 4 Old Hoss

All other roles remain the same

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Jersey City Jobbers @ Genoa Janus

Janus in five, 7-3.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Jersey City Jobbers @ Genoa Janus in 7 4-2

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 16, 2016

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Smasher please don't put the Space Fish into a draft pool I don't want anyone to suffer Trevor Rosenthal.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Joe Morgan :argh: Curse your name! You are dead to me now.

Also, you are dead period.

Since we died.

Because you killed us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

FairGame posted:

Smasher please don't put the Space Fish into a draft pool I don't want anyone to suffer Trevor Rosenthal.

The fact that you think that my administration is interested in minimizing suffering rather than the opposite is the only insight necessary to explain the performance of your team this season.

Clearly, you do not understand the ethos of the Super-League at all.