Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Serious Q: Are there any people in this thread who think part 6 is better than part 7, or do we all universally agree on SBR supremacy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
all jojo is equally supreme

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I like Jolyne better than Johnny, but I like SBR better than Stone Ocean even though it's me, I'm the weirdo who likes Pucci.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I definitely prefer Steel Ball Run to Stone Ocean. I think Johnny's a more human character than any other JoJo, and maybe only JoJolionsuke can come close to that, which is likely a result of Araki going full seinen, but I'd maybe rank Jolyne above Johnny because she's a lot of fun. I think Stone Ocean closes out better than SBR too, because while DIEGO's World is real fun, it just reads as pretty much pandering and superfluous as well. I love it for what it is, but SBR wouldn't be weaker without it and isn't stronger for it.

JoJolion has been on a hell of a run though. If we're to say the Damo arc is a 9/10 (including Kira/Josefumi flashbacks), I don't think we've been close to a 7 since Paper Moon King. Beetle Tendency, Aishou, Karera and Damo arcs have all been extremely good. This month's looks like an awesome way to cool down from those too. JJL can definitely take best arc at this rate.

I'd give Damo arc a 10 if 10 didn't mean perfect no weakness (Damo and Kira died :( )

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I'm still on the early bits of SBR, but it seems pretty cool so far. Part 6 is still fresh, and it was one hell of a ride. Pucci is the worst tho.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pucci is my friend.
Please apologise to him.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
if you can't enjoy a hot ebony stud plowing amateurs with his stand, well then i don't think you can enjoy anything at all

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SBR is definitely my favorite but it's been like five years since I read Stone Ocean. I remember all the crazy stands and that Jolyne is awesome but not much about the plot other than Pucci trying to steal Jotaro's stand disc.

Part 8 has been great so far but it's hard to judge something that's still unfinished and very mysterious. We don't even know who the main villain is yet, though there are now at least some candidates for the role.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Pucci is worthless garbage. He's great to hate

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm reading Berserk rn and still don't know when I'm gonna try to catch up to Part 8 but the Damo stuff looks like it's been fun

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

I'm reading Berserk rn and still don't know when I'm gonna try to catch up to Part 8 but the Damo stuff looks like it's been fun

why are you skipping part 8 baal

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sorry, but Diesel had to be read this moment. I'll catch up to part 8 when the translation isn't poo poo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
One of the joys of reading Jojo (verses just watching it) is watching Araki grow and change and improve as an artist and a writer and SBR is basically the culmination of everything he learned drawing the previous six parts with very few of the misteps.

I mean, it's also a great story on its own merits, but it definitely gains something from having read several decades of the man's work.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baal posted:

I'm sorry, but Diesel had to be read this moment. I'll catch up to part 8 when the translation isn't poo poo.

Bad news, Ballschan

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well I still won't read it because I have to prove how funny I find it that people are getting mad at me for skipping parts

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The actual translation of JoJolion is good/accurate, but it needs a good editor to make the English better and it's probably never getting one while its translator is touchy.

It feels overly literal, has too many needless u's, is very inconsistent with its bonus letters for translation. Like
- Why is Kaato double a when Hato is single a when they're the same sound
- Why is Josuke "Jousuke" when Joshuu and Jobin have no u, while Kuujou has 2 extras. Why isn't it Kaatou and Ha(a)tou?
Other nitpicks.
- Why is Kaato a K when her god-drat wedding ring has a C on it.
- Rokakakas sounds wrong to me too, i forget the word for it but it sounds like one of those words that is the same plural as singular.
- General stilted dialogue#

e:
Also Youshikage should be a thing if we're playing the bonus u game

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 14, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is Buddywaters still doing it or is there a new group now?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kewl0210 is doing it. Same nick on twitter.

I mean, I do think I'm nitpicking but I think there's a genuine problem when you're adding "ou" sounds to everything because English naturally has the reader assume the correct sound by reading Jo and Yo without them, and when you add the ou, you get the wrong sounds pop into mind. It's true they're there to indicate correct pronunciation but it's just utterly pointless imo.

He aint Jewtarew Koojew

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like parts 6 and 7 for different reasons that don't particularly overlap, but they both have their issues here and there. steel ball run is more cohesive and is less exhausting to read, though, even if its final encounter is kinda bleh.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kewl also has that problem. Back when I went on the JoJo forums both he and Buddy seemed to have this obsession with making everything picture perfect to the Japanese pronunciation unless it was patently obvious (Katakana and whatnot) and idk why they were so obsessed with that, but whatever. It makes the Over Heaven light novel really loving difficult to read though, more so than it already is. I remember Buddy being a bit better about it though although his translations always read kinda awkwardly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ctrl+F "ou" Replace "o"
Ctrl+F "yo" Replace "you"

Hope that does the majority of it.
Like, I'd definitely offer to edit scripts for anyone, it's kind of my thing to edit things, but Jou's and ~~~~~~~~~~~ are gone.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Naerasa posted:

Serious Q: Are there any people in this thread who think part 6 is better than part 7, or do we all universally agree on SBR supremacy?

While I don't think 6 is better than 7, 6 is my second-favorite part which I don't think is a very popular opinion either.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Ctrl+F "ou" Replace "o"
Ctrl+F "yo" Replace "you"

Hope that does the majority of it.
Like, I'd definitely offer to edit scripts for anyone, it's kind of my thing to edit things, but Jou's and ~~~~~~~~~~~ are gone.

Yeah p much. Whenever I translate a comic strip or something for some friends I usually remove all of that poo poo and also HONORIFICS. It's p funny when that gets passed around sometimes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's probably natural to have part 6 up there in someone's top 3 at the least, because 1 and 2 really only top the list for specific people and 3 is pretty spotty. part 5 isn't exactly fair to rank right now, to be honest, and jojolion is kind of in the same boat. that leaves 4, 6, and 7 at the top for a lot of people.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A lot of people will rate Part 5 regardless. People read through it back when the translation was garbage and the new hasn't exactly skewed a lot of people's opinions on most of the part, but it at least gives them a bit more coherency which will let them enjoy the part a little bit more. I also wouldn't put part 6 in my top 3 at all, but I might be weird in that case? Idk, I don't remember a lot of people throwing Part 6 as their tops in general honestly.

The only one people hold off on in general is Part 8 because it's so loving out there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't rank 5 because I have no fair basis of it and I qualify 8 rankings with "so far". But even with so far it's broke my top 3

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Diavolo alone drags Part 5 down for me like an anchor.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
I wouldn't put Part 6 in my top 3. Of the parts that are finished, I'd put 4, 7, 3 up there. 5 is really close, but I like the first half or so of that part way better than the rest of it. Diavolo is just not a very interesting Big Bad to me, and it has the same problem that 6 does where half the squad barely gets any time to shine. I love Jolyne, and Part 6 has some cool fights, but I got a sense of battle fatigue from reading it the first time, and parts of it were a total slog for me on a recent re-read.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Part of me wishes I could separate Egypt from not Egypt with part 3 cos I adore all of Egypt but I'm not crazy for much before it which brings SDC lower for me.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i think Doppio owns

Diavolo does not own

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

King Crimson in undoubtedly awesome though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
4, 6 and 7 are all my favorite but they're all so different that it feels pointless to compare them. Part 4 is the most Jojo, part 6 is the most Bizarre and part 7 is the most Adventure.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Funky Valentine posted:

Diavolo alone drags Part 5 down for me like an anchor.

Yeah, no amount of decent translation is gonna make Diavolo a good character... Or Giorno very compelling... Or Silver Chariot Requieim not be a loving dumb stand.

King Crimson in undoubtedly awesome though.

I like King Crimson's design and the power is cool, but it should not be like super strong and able to punch through people. That's loving insane.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I remember i posted in this very thread that I was going to start Part 7 and people told me to have fun and that it's better than Part 4 and I said "uhhhh, good one?" cause that's just crazy, Part 4 is so good.

They were very right. Part 7, 4 and 6 are in my top three fo' sure.

Also Diavolo is very attractive and King Crimson is extremely cool, which really boosts my current opinion of Part 5 up a lot.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
i like 4, 5, and 6 most so far, though 6 dragged a bit for me(i wanted to get to 7.) i really do like all of jojo for various reasons

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Just finished SBR and started Jojolion. This poo poo is gonna be Too Hot For TV

Begemot posted:

In fact, a databook revealed that Hey Ya!'s only ability is to give Pocoloco pep talks.

The rest is all him.

Wait, really? It doesn't grant him extra luck? That's pretty funny.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

alcharagia posted:

i think Doppio owns

Diavolo does not own
This I can agree with. It's a shame that the retranslation is still, what?, a volume and then some away from Doppio vs. Nero.

Part of me wishes I could separate Egypt from not Egypt with part 3 cos I adore all of Egypt but I'm not crazy for much before it which brings SDC lower for me.
This is fair, but the Egypt part is so good that I don't care as much about the shakiness of the earlier chapters. Also, I really like Jotaro, probably in part because I'm reading Part 4 and 6 Jotaro back onto him in Part 3, but also because he is Cool and Good in his own part.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love all of Part 3, 4, and 7 with Part 5 having moved up a lot in recent years as I've grown to appreciate it more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
I guess I'm crazy, because I like part 5 far more than 6 or 7. 6 & 7 (and 8 to a lesser extent) have way too many fights where the enemy stand is completely ridiculous (Bohemian Rhapsody and Sugar Mountain come to mind as the most egregious examples, or Shakedown Road for part 8) that are just not as enjoyable as a "classic" stand battle. I like the stories of part 6 and 7 more than part 5, but the battles in both, overall, just aren't up to the standard of his previous works. Arcs like Man in the Mirror and Purple Haze or The Express Train to Florence are so much better than anything he's done since, though JoJoLion does seem like it's a return to form. For my personal ranking, I'd say it's 5 and 4 at the top, then 3, 6 and 2, then 7 and 1. 7 is a great setting with well-written characters, it just doesn't have nearly as many entertaining fights (Mandom was fantastic, though) as the other parts do.