Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

Okay so I know of at least three types of "land".
Grass is regular walking around anywhere.
"forest" which are the dark green of parks.
Water is obviously water.
Are there any other biomes?
Also grass puffing up, does it mean anything?

Pretty sure it's meant to represent a Pokemon off in the distance but it seems like a fakeout as often as not. Anyone know for certain how incense works? I tried one out and it didn't seem to draw in Pokemon so much as cause 5-6 to spawn right on top of me over the course of the half hour.

As for the different biomes, do we know if they have different spawns compared to one another? I mean, water is obvious, but is there a big difference between forest and grass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i swirl it in the left lower corner and then drag up and to the right to the pokemon and it usually curves and lands

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I've consistently had pokemon to spawn directly on top of a leaf bloom, and from quite a few days of wandering my neighborhood leaf blooms seem to be in places where I've caught pokemon before.

My belief is they are the same XM dots from ingress, however they don't all show at once, and this is no guarantee that a pokemon is currently spawned there at any particular time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Pretty sure it's meant to represent a Pokemon off in the distance but it seems like a fakeout as often as not. Anyone know for certain how incense works? I tried one out and it didn't seem to draw in Pokemon so much as cause 5-6 to spawn right on top of me over the course of the half hour.

As for the different biomes, do we know if they have different spawns compared to one another? I mean, water is obvious, but is there a big difference between forest and grass?

It seems that a Pokemon actually appearing is mostly random, but the grass rustling should indicate where the Pokemon is.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Anyone know for certain how incense works? I tried one out and it didn't seem to draw in Pokemon so much as cause 5-6 to spawn right on top of me over the course of the half hour.

That's exactly all it does.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Hrist posted:

That's exactly all it does.

You get the first one right around ~29:00 and one every five minutes after that. You can only get 1 from an incense every ~5 minutes so if you are lazy and catch the last one with ~1:00 remaining on your incense and start up another incense right away you'll have to wait until ~26:00 on the second one.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Anyone know for certain how incense works? I tried one out and it didn't seem to draw in Pokemon so much as cause 5-6 to spawn right on top of me over the course of the half hour.

It's pretty much exactly this, though in my experience the spawns have been somewhat random. I don't believe it goes off of the nearby tab, meaning if you see the silhouette of something rare pop up then you can't just activate incense and have it show up.

It can work to your benefit though, as my nearby tab is always full of Pidgey or Rattata but I've caught Bulbasaur and Pikachu from incense.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Arkanomen posted:

At this time everyone seems to agree that grass/leaf particles are spawn locations for wild pokemon, and that a pokemon will spawn at them anywhere between 15 minutes and 60 minutes. This means your chances of walking up to one and finding a pokemon waiting for you are pretty slim. Also, because of the randomness of it, nobody can definitively say that this is exactly how they work.

In general I think they're mostly ignored since doing literally anything else beside standing near grass is more effective for catching stuff.

Thread please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Teeter posted:

It's pretty much exactly this, though in my experience the spawns have been somewhat random. I don't believe it goes off of the nearby tab, meaning if you see the silhouette of something rare pop up then you can't just activate incense and have it show up.

It can work to your benefit though, as my nearby tab is always full of Pidgey or Rattata but I've caught Bulbasaur and Pikachu from incense.

I believe it pulls from the spawn table of wherever you are. I see a lot of bellsprouts/oddish/venonats in my neighborhood and incense spawns a lot of ratatta, pidgey, and those guys.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I really wish you could just toss 2km eggs. I still haven't hatched anything worth the effort yet.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I really wish you could just toss 2km eggs. I still haven't hatched anything worth the effort yet.

Pikachus come from 2km eggs, but that's pretty much the only good result.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Reik posted:

Pikachus come from 2km eggs, but that's pretty much the only good result.

It's not that I don't mind hatching them, it's just that when I go into town I don't want to stock up on 2km eggs and miss all the good ones.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Arkanomen posted:

Okay so I know of at least three types of "land".
Grass is regular walking around anywhere.
"forest" which are the dark green of parks.
Water is obviously water.
Are there any other biomes?

There's lots of biomes in the code, but they're not all visually distinct on the map like forest and water are: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4f6kpo/biomes_analysis_what_is_reasonable_to_expect/

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Licarn posted:

There's lots of biomes in the code, but they're not all visually distinct on the map like forest and water are: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4f6kpo/biomes_analysis_what_is_reasonable_to_expect/

So we're still in the speculation phase. Meaning I just gotta get out and hike around. I'm definitely convinced that some pokemon are time of day based as the only ghosts I've gotten are at night and clefairys only right at sunset.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
So far in 7 full days of playing I've used 200 MB of mobile data. I am not on wifi at work and leave it on for a good portion of the day for GPS wiggle-walking. If I had to take a guess I'd say that's 4 hours of mobile data a day.

7 MB an hour. Even giving the benefit of the doubt at double that, 15 MB an hour shouldn't destroy your mobile data bill. You could play 4 hours a day every day of the month and not break 2 GB.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So I have a bit of a problem. There is a gym right next to my work. I can't fight while at my desk but if I walk outside that's good enough. Problem is the people in that building have it built up. They have a lvl 10 gym. 50,000 prestige. Top dog is an arcanine @ 1500 ish. So, me and my coworkes all try to band up and take it but the best we can do is topple them and then they are right back on it. I think it's a lost cause because they can literally sit at their desk and battle all day to raise the prestige.

Any suggestions? Grind them out till they have no more revives?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Find a different gym

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

sterster posted:

So I have a bit of a problem. There is a gym right next to my work. I can't fight while at my desk but if I walk outside that's good enough. Problem is the people in that building have it built up. They have a lvl 10 gym. 50,000 prestige. Top dog is an arcanine @ 1500 ish. So, me and my coworkes all try to band up and take it but the best we can do is topple them and then they are right back on it. I think it's a lost cause because they can literally sit at their desk and battle all day to raise the prestige.

Let them have it and farm XP from the thing while they get practically nothing for holding it?

I mean poo poo, this game hardly rewards holding a gym and makes attacking extremely advantageous.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Was it coincidence that I found Clefairy and Clefable near the hills?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You should be subtracting like -3,0000 XP per victory, and they are only adding ~500 XP per "defense".

With 3 people helping, you should be able to oust them completely from the gym within about 10 minutes, even if they're actively reinforcing it the whole time...

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Let them have it and farm XP from the thing while they get practically nothing for holding it?

I mean poo poo, this game hardly rewards holding a gym and makes attacking extremely advantageous.

Isn't holding a gym the only way to gain coins other than paying real world money?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

And if they take it right back, who cares? Gyms are an excuse to make the pokemans fight each other, they're next to impossible to reliably hang onto and there's little reason to anyway.

Talorat posted:

Isn't holding a gym the only way to gain coins other than paying real world money?

You can extract coins once per 20 hours, you get 10 per gym you're currently holding onto. There's no bonus for how long it's been defended or what level it is, so you and your friends could fortify some park bench to Level 10 with a dozen 2000 CP Mewtwos and you're still only making a dime a day.

If you are in this for the coins the only reliable strategy is to stalk your neighborhood at 2am when everyone's sleeping and take over as many as you can before cashing out. But still, the most you'll get is 100.

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 14, 2016

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Reik posted:

You get the first one right around ~29:00 and one every five minutes after that. You can only get 1 from an incense every ~5 minutes so if you are lazy and catch the last one with ~1:00 remaining on your incense and start up another incense right away you'll have to wait until ~26:00 on the second one.

Sorry, I'm a little dyslexic, and misread the other post. THIS is what it actually does.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

sterster posted:

Burn down the building. The Gym will remain on the map, but the defenders will not.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Talorat posted:

Holding a gym at that moment you cash out. It makes zero difference the 21 hours after that. I wish they'd give an xp or stardust bonus for every hour you hold a gym but whatever.

Sterster, you should definitely take down that gym then just stick a Magikarp in there. Attacking is way easier than defending, and you get way more xp for it. Let them take the gym and build it up then reap the rewards from taking down a high level gym repeatedly. They won't get poo poo in return if you've just got 1-2 weak pokemon there.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Hobo Clown posted:

And if they take it right back, who cares? Gyms are an excuse to make the pokemans fight each other, they're next to impossible to reliably hang onto and there's little reason to anyway.

You can extract coins once per 20 hours, you get 10 per gym you're currently holding onto. There's no bonus for how long it's been defended or what level it is, so you and your friends could fortify some park bench to Level 10 with a dozen 2000 CP Mewtwos and you're still only making a dime a day.

If you are in this for the coins the only reliable strategy is to stalk your neighborhood at 2am when everyone's sleeping and take over as many as you can before cashing out. But still, the most you'll get is 10.

I thought that I read somewhere that you get more experience for fighting rivals in gyms, so it's actually beneficial to attack rather than defend. Unless you want Pokecoins, but nobody is holding onto gyms that long in my area. At lunch I literally saw a gym switch hands twice while I was walking to it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Bill Barber posted:

GO uses next to no data at all. It's clever marketing, but a terrible deal.

Its a better deal for family plans of people who don't buy a lot of data but have kids who can't understand how to turn on wifi

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
If there's a heavily contested gym around, don't even bother putting one of your guys in there. Flatten it and leave it grey. Some other chump will drop a 'mon in there and you'll get another boat of experience to ruin him. You're also saving on the potions needed to heal up whoever you submit to holding the meat-grinder of a gym.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You can, but the garbage can is a 2km walk away

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

On a whim I decided to check if this one portal from Ingress is also a Pokestop.

It is, and I need to go on a walk. I also could go for more candy to juice my Rhydon up. And maybe my recently caught Pidgeotto.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I'm just poking at the extracted APK and found some interesting strings:

EvolutionStonePiecesFieldNumber
EvolutionStonesFieldNumber
evolutionStonePieces_
evolutionStones_
EvolutionStonePieces
EvolutionStones

Sounds like in a future update we might get pieces of evolution stones that can be combined into a complete evolution stone. I can't find a corresponding item description so I doubt they're in the game now and only drop at higher levels or anything like that.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Beta had generic evolution candies, it could be a hold-over from that depending on how thorough their coding is?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
One of the first things they need to do for Go is add a Bike item in game. You buy it, use it, and double the max speed the game allows you to travel when hatching eggs and finding stuff. Have it expire after an hour or so.

Pay me, Nintendo.

Licarn posted:

Not even Yellow are this pathetic.

I'm from Kanto and I say kill 'em all!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
People riding bikes while playing videogames isn't going to be endorsed by anybody, it's a hazard.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i knew cain would be all over pokemon go

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Do the different eggs give a different amount of XP when hatched? Should I keep my lucky eggs for the 10k?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

mirthdefect posted:

OK so I made a thing in Excel where you can put in your pokemons and number of candies and whatnot and it'll calculate how many evolutions you can do (including with the candies gained from doing the evolution) and the xp gain you'll get

I think it works? I put it at https://www.sendspace.com/file/0p2xml because I don't know how to make it so you can edit the document online, plus I'm not that good with Excel and someone else can probably do a better job.

So I gave this a little bit of a clean up and colour coding, along with a drop down with all the first stage evolutions. Thanks for the inspiration and basis!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sVX-nP7uD7UW8_DsJoSRuDRsBy48e08Qnbz2DeVd1Zg/edit?usp=sharing

ijyt fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 15, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Licarn posted:

Imagine if you could attack other players at pokestops and take their stuff :allears:

You can, I took phones and wallets off a bunch of different nerds.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I kept tinkering and I added an index/match process to tell you which level you'll end up at.

I tried to make it look at how many you can mulch (if any) to get extra evolutions but that was beyond me, but if you can wrangle that then more power to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Evil Fluffy posted:

One of the first things they need to do for Go is add a Bike item in game. You buy it, use it, and double the max speed the game allows you to travel when hatching eggs and finding stuff. Have it expire after an hour or so.

Pay me, Nintendo.

There's symbols in the code: ON_BICYCLE and ON_FOOT

I'm not sure it really means anything but I want to believe.

• Locked thread