Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The SISU mouthguard seems neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After trying a few recommended in this thread, and being frustrated that they sucked and couldn't talk with them in, I got a custom fit one from http://www.impactmouthguards.com/

It takes a few weeks to get it. They ship you an impression kit, you ship it back, they make it, then ship it to you. They're expensive, but it fits great and it's easy to talk with it in. You can even get your team logo, number, name and poo poo on it as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or you know just wear a cage.

The concussions are worth it, I will leave a gorgeous corpse when I OD on painkillers.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

dogstile posted:

Skating D is great, but speak to your goalie and ask him what he wants you to do if its not overly organised. My usual goalie loves it if I keep the D on the outside and if I stop the pass on a 2 on 1, because he knows he's got a really good chance of stopping anyone at our level 1 on 1.

Goalie checking in. Ideal world you have a D man that you can trust to stop a pass and isnt just a pylon so you can focus on the likely poor angle shot. If a goalie sees you fail to break up the 2 on 1 multiple times it creates more confusion because now you're going to cheat or mentally note that that pass has a high chance of hitting his other option.

xzzy posted:

The concussions are worth it, I will leave a gorgeous corpse when I OD on painkillers.

I'm not sure how much a cage saves you from concussion beyond the helmet being less likely to fall off but they will save you dental/hospital bills.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

xzzy posted:

I probably should wear a helmet but It's on foot not roller blades, I tried running around with a helmet on but God is it annoying wearing a helmet while bouncing up and down like that. Also I don't know what it is but it's far harder to track a ball on a black surface with a cage than a puck on white ice.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

You can wear both a cage and a mouthguard, like I do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Naw, the other skaters need to be able to hear my biting commentary without any issue.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

After trying a few recommended in this thread, and being frustrated that they sucked and couldn't talk with them in, I got a custom fit one from http://www.impactmouthguards.com/

It takes a few weeks to get it. They ship you an impression kit, you ship it back, they make it, then ship it to you. They're expensive, but it fits great and it's easy to talk with it in. You can even get your team logo, number, name and poo poo on it as well.

This looks interesting, Did you get the trim for gag reflex option? Is it worth the $5?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
mouthguard >>> cage if teeth preservation is your objective

I've been using the same $20 underarmor one for like 3 years and it is great but I buy a new cheapo one every year just for the insurance coverage

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jovial Cow posted:

This looks interesting, Did you get the trim for gag reflex option? Is it worth the $5?

I didn't get it and it's fine. It reaches back to my last molars without trimming. I don't have any issue with it personally.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
I've tried the mouthguards that you can get at the hockey stores but none of them come close to the protection and fit-ness to the ones you get made at the dentist. Just go to your dentist and ask about a sports guard. They are really good, fit well, and you can usually get a color of your choosing! I believe mine only came to about $40 too.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

sellouts posted:

ahead of teeter's game, the schlubs actually won 8-2 on my hat trick, my first in the last 5268 games or so

so the only mercy was shown by the officials taking their time fishing the puck out of the net

teeter i emailed you a forward of my request to add you to the distro list for pickup.

Got it, thanks. I'll stay by my email on Sunday to see if I can make it in some time soon.

There's a good chance that the skill level is higher than I'm used to but that's fine, I need to push myself a bit harder anyway.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Chemmy posted:

The SISU mouthguard seems neat.

I've been playing with one for half a year. Love it. The best part is speech is pretty much excellent with it in.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

calandryll posted:

I've been playing with one for half a year. Love it. The best part is speech is pretty much excellent with it in.

Nitramster and I both use SISU guards, I highly recommend them.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sisu's are pretty great, especially now that they have the ccm branding and all

I wear a Shock doctor because I'm a creature of habit and if you're into that sort of thing it's nice too

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

titanium posted:

Goalie checking in.

I'm not sure how much a cage saves you from concussion beyond the helmet being less likely to fall off but they will save you dental/hospital bills.

the joke went 5 hole on you bro, goalies vacate

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

sellouts posted:

the joke went 5 hole on you bro, goalies vacate

Vacate our bowels on that poo poo burn.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Man the beginners stick n' puck got pretty rough last night, bunch of new guys who have all played before and are picking the game back up again, taking advantage of my team in the friendly scrimmage by knocking them over and trying to make it look like an accident. After the third time of watching our other shift get knocked about I grabbed two of our big guys and we made em pay for it.

Was loving great, they stopped doing it after a few good hits. I've also pretty much perfected diving forward on the ice and poking the puck away from a forward who thinks he's got a breakaway. More than one angry look was shot my way when i've stopped a "sure goal".

Anyone got any tips for keeping positions/not being a pylon when you're on the other side of where the action is? I'm trying to just keep my guy marked but i'm finding that I can't really preempt them, so they break away from me more often than not!

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xtNBceCtp0

I do 3v3 a fair amount, it was nice to finally feel dialed in again but given it was my second 3v3 session of the day I slowly die as the game progresses.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

liveandlove posted:

Assuming you are in Dallas? This new shortened season thing is really dumb in my opinion. Especially since there are more teams in the league (some of them) than games. The cost per game really isn't that big of a difference either.

Yup. There is no shortage of failings by that league. Thankfully when they shortened the season, they also cut our division down from 17 to 7. Cutting out 8 minutes from each game was stupid too. I didn't realize how nice those extra 2 minutes of warmups are, if only just to stretch on the ice.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

titanium posted:

I do 3v3 a fair amount, it was nice to finally feel dialed in again but given it was my second 3v3 session of the day I slowly die as the game progresses.

3v3 tiny ice hockey is fun as hell and :golfclap: to your choice of turco cheddar pads. :v:

Last season our goalie did 3 games in a row - Dude said "never again" and was sore as hell after. Hah

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I lost every faceoff in my game this week... I like playing centre a lot and I don't think anyone else is really relishing taking on the extra skating if I ask to move positions but man I'm getting frustrated. I'm not sure what I'm not getting. How do I even practice faceoffs?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

prom candy posted:

I lost every faceoff in my game this week... I like playing centre a lot and I don't think anyone else is really relishing taking on the extra skating if I ask to move positions but man I'm getting frustrated. I'm not sure what I'm not getting. How do I even practice faceoffs?

Grab two buddys and do it all the time?

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

prom candy posted:

I'm in no way a faceoff pro, but I was just told to get as low to the ground and as long on my stick as possible. Top hand should be nowhere near the top of your stick, with the bottom hand pretty close to the blade. It works well for me when I try, except when both centers miss the puck or it just slips away slowly and then I try to play the puck while still holding my stick that way. Usually ends up in my missing the puck and falling on the ground. But when it works, it looks really cool.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

I think you might be already dead. :rip:

Speaking of :rip:: In an updated head count for the game tonight we have 7 skaters total. 3 out injured, 1 dropped out due to illness, the dude who flip flops on us with his other team in the same division and a guy who hopefully maybe possibly but probably won't make it back in time.

I'm probably never leaving the ice tonight.

Is this why you were trying to get me to skate out? Ask some of the guys ITT, that is a bad idea.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Did my first drop in game and, despite clearly being the worst on the ice and making a lot of dumb mistakes, didn't make a complete rear end of myself and even got an assist. Also almost shoved a puck in that the goalie didn't cover and they didn't realize I was close. I also tried really hard not to take overly long shifts and be that guy.

Very short bench, and only three D, but what was nice was the best guys on the team agreed to play defense. Otherwise there was a pretty good mix of skill levels with a couple younger guys who thought they were better than they were, a few older dudes who'd clearly been playing for years, and a few legitimately good players who, if they got a breakaway it was a sure goal. But the score was actually pretty close from what I remember and we even had two not-terrible goalies show up.

Obviously it just comes with practice and playing, but it was frustrating how many times I knew that, if I were just a bit better, I could have gotten to a loose puck and done something with it. A lot of flubbed passes, pucks going off my skates, or I got a touch on it but couldn't get full control. Also, despite telling myself to take it slow, I definitely made a few overly rushed plays and turned it over.

Was a ton of fun, though, and no one really seemed to care that much about mistakes or anything. And while I was bad, I wasn't so bad that I might as well not have been on the ice - I was able to disrupt some plays and at least participate.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

z0331 posted:

Obviously it just comes with practice and playing, but it was frustrating how many times I knew that, if I were just a bit better, I could have gotten to a loose puck and done something with it. A lot of flubbed passes, pucks going off my skates, or I got a touch on it but couldn't get full control. Also, despite telling myself to take it slow, I definitely made a few overly rushed plays and turned it over.

Welcome to beer league hockey. As soon as you don't feel this way you'll move up and reset the whole thing.

But it's a lot of fun!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

Is this why you were trying to get me to skate out? Ask some of the guys ITT, that is a bad idea.

Hah nah I was hitting you up for an empty roster spot we had on our 3v3 small ice casual hockey team at Renton, not the GSHL team. :v:

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Duke Chin posted:

Hah nah I was hitting you up for an empty roster spot we had on our 3v3 small ice casual hockey team at Renton, not the GSHL team. :v:

How many people here are in the MA area? Curious to know who I might be playing against (or for if anyone needs another poo poo skater lol.)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Maddot_66 posted:

How many people here are in the MA area? Curious to know who I might be playing against (or for if anyone needs another poo poo skater lol.)

I'm in Seattle :ssh:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

It is still a Bad Idea to have me skate out.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

I'm in Seattle :ssh:

Your AV lies. (but is awesome anyway.)

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Maddot_66 posted:

Southeast MA here. I'm kinda shelved right now though. Seems 25+ years of playing has done some serious damage to my hips. I played for the first time in 3 weeks on Thursday and that went alright but I'm trying to limit myself until I get cortisone shots next month. Then I should be able to "resume regular activity" so says the Doc.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I'm in north east MA, play in Andover on Monday nights in the summer, and hopefully back to Sunday nights once the fall session starts.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007

V for Vegans posted:

I'm in north east MA, play in Andover on Monday nights in the summer, and hopefully back to Sunday nights once the fall session starts.

Cool. I'm playing in the Marlboro NESHL league this summer, and figured I'd get a feel if there's anyone around that might be around for drop ins or subs sometime.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
Had an interesting occurrence last night, in our division there is that one guy who thinks he's going to make the NHL, so despite being in the lowest division he plays "his game" which includes a lot of illegal contact. Before last night his rap sheet included:
1. Checking players and receiving penalties for contact in a non-contact league.
2. Verbally abusing his own team mates on multiple occasions.
3. Physically abusing a team mate which included whacking him on the back of the head as he came off the ice.
4. Having the captaincy stripped from him for the above mentioned altercations.

Last night he decided to up his game though.
His team is up 3-0 and the team they're playing means it should be an easy win.

He gets an unsportsmanlike for being his usual loud obnoxious douche bag self.
Whilst in the penalty box he tries to start a fight... with his own team... He dropped his gloves and tried to punch on over the glass and ended up spitting on one of them.

So he got a game misconduct and ejected from the game. Which comes with a minimum 1 game suspension.
Not one to take that lying down he gets into further to and fro yelling etc outside the locker room.
Then on the way out he decides to get his own back on the whole establishment and kicks in the glass on one of the entry doors.
So now the rink is pressing charges against him, so it's likely a one game suspension is the least of his worries.

Meanwhile, his number 1 fan (his dad) is also being a loud and abusive to everyone within earshot.

The best part is the team he was playing tie up the game 3-3.

He has a public Facebook profile dedicated to his goal of making it to the NHL, legitimately has a sales pitch on it that says "contact me via messages if your a prospector, general manager, scout or coach who is in need of a high intensity player & TWD."

It's a pretty remarkable read to be honest.
Link: https://www.facebook.com/JoshuaJjShanlyNumber12/

xryokus fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 18, 2016

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Link please.

Also Bradford is real bad. Possibly the worst thing on two skates. He's the reason Seattle will never have an NHL team.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

lol that guy. If he really thinks scouts are going to be hanging around low league games in New Zealand, buddy is delusional. I am surprised he hasn't made a Kickstarter, sold all his things and moved to Canada to try his hand at an open try out with a crappy fighting league like the LNAH

e: forgot LNAH is limited to players who have played jr in QC

Development fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 18, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Good god that just reeks of some kind of mental illness. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's good to have dreams, I guess. Dude should probably find a realistic one though, like becoming a decent human being someday.