Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Did they ever say why warhead decided to get rid of the seemingly effective spinner dome for what appears to be a drastically less effective weapon like a T-rex head that breathes fire?

It's basically for the anti-spinner wedge bots like Stinger. They can still use the dome as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

golden bubble posted:

To try and get this thread back on track, here's what the Ringmaster team said about the match.

Looks like Ringmaster needs some more testing and refinement before it goes up against a serious competitor.
Emphasis mine.

Right next to driving, this is next on the list. A non-working bot is gonna lose.

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003

Drowning In Terror posted:

I'm no expert but I assume a design like that could potentially be the hardest hitting of all the spinners if you had the motors/battery power for it? Wondering what's stopping people making single-toothed flat spinners like that other than the difficulty to pull off.

I don't see any advantage a single-tooth spinner has over having 2 teeth on opposite sides. Having a symmetrical spinner means your center of mass is on the axis, and the moment of inertia is going to be the same whether you have a single big weight on one side, or two half-size weights on opposite sides.

It does look neat, but unless there's something non-obvious going on I think it's probably harder to drive and more likely to shake itself to death than a symmetrical spinner.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's center of mass is still on the axle like a symmetrical design. There's a small bulge that counter balances it opposite the tooth. The idea is that there's more time between strikes so they can get a better bite in with the tooth.

e; As for why its not done more often: Its mostly useful on small, fast drums. Bigger spinners like tombstones bar have plenty of space between hits by their design and spin at a relatively slowly so its less necessary. Asymmetric designs take time to design and are generally more expensive to build than a big bar with a hole in it so most people don't bother. Ringmaster could probably get away with a symmetrical design without any issues so its probably a stylistic choice.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 14, 2016

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
Oh okay, I hadn't noticed the counterweight. Yeah, that makes sense. You'd be less likely to make initial contact by brushing the outer edge of the tooth instead of making contact with the forward-facing point.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Great Beer posted:

Ringmaster could probably get away with a symmetrical design without any issues so its probably a stylistic choice.
On a related note, this time lapse of Ringmaster's chassis being milled is really soothing to watch:

https://vimeo.com/160687959

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Great Beer posted:

It's center of mass is still on the axle like a symmetrical design. There's a small bulge that counter balances it opposite the tooth. The idea is that there's more time between strikes so they can get a better bite in with the tooth.

e; As for why its not done more often: Its mostly useful on small, fast drums. Bigger spinners like tombstones bar have plenty of space between hits by their design and spin at a relatively slowly so its less necessary. Asymmetric designs take time to design and are generally more expensive to build than a big bar with a hole in it so most people don't bother. Ringmaster could probably get away with a symmetrical design without any issues so its probably a stylistic choice.

Hypno-Disc's flywheel was designed that way as well. One part would stick out towards robots to damage, while at the opposite end the tooth is perpendicular to serve as the counter-balance.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Once they iron out ringmaster's growing pains I could see it being a beast. It doesn't care if you flip it and it probably won't self destruct if the ring makes contact with the floor/walls like tombstone is liable to. I think that vertical drums would damage it with enough force though.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Grognan posted:

Once they iron out ringmaster's growing pains I could see it being a beast. It doesn't care if you flip it and it probably won't self destruct if the ring makes contact with the floor/walls like tombstone is liable to. I think that vertical drums would damage it with enough force though.

I'm just some guy with no mechanical engineering / physics background but wouldn't making ringmasters chassis out of one piece of metal like that cause problems if it were ever seriously damaged and became warped?

It seems like instead of having a box you need to replace the sides of or a framework you need to replace the damaged portions of, you have a single unit that becomes essentially destroyed if enough warping / damage happens to the outside radius?

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I'm just some guy with no mechanical engineering / physics background but wouldn't making ringmasters chassis out of one piece of metal like that cause problems if it were ever seriously damaged and became warped?

It seems like instead of having a box you need to replace the sides of or a framework you need to replace the damaged portions of, you have a single unit that becomes essentially destroyed if enough warping / damage happens to the outside radius?

One odd quirk of how they made the chassis is that it's really expensive to do one, but the cost for a second chassis is pretty minimal beyond material cost, so they actually had a full second frame that was ready to have components transplanted into it should the first chassis be damaged beyond repair.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Having it milled out of one piece of metal makes it less likely to be seriously damaged or warped in the first place, but yeah, it would be a worry.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ringmaster's chassis is steel. If so, it's more likely to just end up breaking than bending afaict.

This is true. However, because it's made of one piece it's also less likely to become warped or damaged in a way that would render it unusable as opposed to a box due to the comparative lack of welds and fasteners. It's a cost versus durability thing. The cost for replacing the body if they're damaged goes up, but the likelihood of it actually being damaged goes down. It's a similar issue with bar and drum spinners (except power instead of cost though they're inversely related) as bar spinners are a whole lot less durable, but have much more power per individual hit while drum spinners are much more durable, but need a few more hits (at a similar rpm) to do as much damage.

The whole thing still costs a pretty penny to machine compared to having individual pieces, but there's less human labor that's needed. They just upload the file to the CNC machine, load the part and away it goes! The only way the machining process could be (presumably) cheaper is if they could find cylinders of material at the desired diameter so there's less machining time from having to cut away the corners.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ringmaster was made from a solid block of magnesium or magnesium alloy. I can't remember which but it's likely the single most expensive bot in the competition.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
No bots this week?? It's some POTUS town hall on abc

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Subyng posted:

No bots this week?? It's some POTUS town hall on abc

Yeah, bumped it due to Dallas. There was a conversation on that earlier; nothing of value missed.

Resume next week.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Great Beer posted:

Ringmaster was made from a solid block of magnesium or magnesium alloy. I can't remember which but it's likely the single most expensive bot in the competition.

How much does it cost to buy a solid block of that stuff?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

keevo posted:

How much does it cost to buy a solid block of that stuff?

Someone on reddit estimated around 7k for the billet. He bought and machined two of them. Magnesium can also ignite if it gets too hot so it's not a set and forget cnc process.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Great Beer posted:

Someone on reddit estimated around 7k for the billet. He bought and machined two of them. Magnesium can also ignite if it gets too hot so it's not a set and forget cnc process.

I can't be the only one who wants to see Complete Control grab it and set it ablaze, can I? I feel like that'd be spectacular :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Most of my engineering education had to do with steel, aluminum and iron so I'm not exactly abreast on the structural properties of magnesium besides them making great brakes. I'm actually curious as to why they picked that over something like steel which would be more durable and less likely to ignite. (I know why they didn't pick titanium since that might be the optimum metal in this case).

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

Most of my engineering education had to do with steel, aluminum and iron so I'm not exactly abreast on the structural properties of magnesium besides them making great brakes. I'm actually curious as to why they picked that over something like steel which would be more durable and less likely to ignite. (I know why they didn't pick titanium since that might be the optimum metal in this case).

It's a very light metal with a good strength to weight ratio and machines reasonably well. It's very much one of those materials where it's a good option if you're not worried about the cost.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Drowning In Terror posted:

I'm no expert but I assume a design like that could potentially be the hardest hitting of all the spinners if you had the motors/battery power for it? Wondering what's stopping people making single-toothed flat spinners like that other than the difficulty to pull off.

Single toothed spinners are generally considered superior to multi-tooth spinners as they guarantee a greater amount of "bite" and thus more damage. Minotaur uses it in their drum as well.

Xelkelvos posted:

Download this and prepare to be amazed: http://www.riobotz.com.br/riobotz_combot_tutorial.pdf

Magnesium in bulk form is very difficult to ignite; you generally have to powder it first. The biggest thing they have to do is balance weight, strength, and bulk. In this case magnesium wins out.

MikeNCR posted:

It's a very light metal with a good strength to weight ratio and machines reasonably well. It's very much one of those materials where it's a good option if you're not worried about the cost.

Not just a good strength to weight ratio, it has the best strength to weight ratio of any of the metals for structural applications (according to the RioBotz textbook).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
do u guys think the future duels will come back but u defend ur honor with robots

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

PBS Newshour posted:

do u guys think the future duels will come back but u defend ur honor with robots

Well, my wife and I have fought at smaller events quite a few times.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Do you want some more robot fighting action? Too bad. Here's MegaTento versus Poison Arrow instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSqWfeDrO3c

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Poison arrows going to get eviscerated by Son of Whyachi. If Mega Tento/Stinger doesn't get clipshow'd I'll be shocked.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I like the idea behind Megatento of just engulfing the other bot and tearing it up like some sort of ambulatory Sarlacc pit but the execution isn't great and its primary weapon doesn't seem to be all that effective, plus completely covering over the other bot makes for a really boring fight. I just wish they'd put it up against a spinner instead of a lifter like Stinger so we could see that plastic kiddy pool cover getting absolutely torn apart, that would have been hilarious.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Have any of these little piddly flying secondary drones ever done anything useful, once, in the entire history of robot fighting as a sport? Because they mostly seem to hover around and look on concernedly as their fifteen pound lighter main bot gets wrecked.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nope, they're dumb wastes of weight.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They need to fully commit to the drones doing a suicide dive, this hovering around poo poo is pointless. :colbert:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They need to fully commit to the drones doing a suicide dive, this hovering around poo poo is pointless. :colbert:

Suicide bomb bots aren't allowed, but I wonder if you could get away with "oops my flamethrower bot exploded on them"

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Suicide bomb bots aren't allowed, but I wonder if you could get away with "oops my flamethrower bot exploded on them"

Dangle a big hook from one and latch on to son of whyachis cage after a hit before it spins up. A 10 pound mass attached to one side should gently caress up its balance plenty.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe you could build a drone capable of lifting the other bot. I'm sure there's some bots that wouldn't handle being dropped from the top of the box.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Maybe you could build a drone capable of lifting the other bot. I'm sure there's some bots that wouldn't handle being dropped from the top of the box.

You'd need a sickeningly high amount of lift since you'd need more than 250lbs of down force to even pick up the opposing bot and move it. That's not counting the amount of stabilizing force needed to make sure if the opponent starts swinging a weapon wildly or activates a spinner or something that your drone doesn't start going at an angle and self-destructs.

Also, most spinners probably impart more force and momentum than a drop of, say, 20 ft.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

:stare:

I think they put a lot of thought and design into this. As well as probably having a team of physics, material science, and mechanical science degree holding nerds that are into robots.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want to see a bot kind of like that one that was just a hunk of wood on wheels, except it has a layer of wood as ablative armor to screw with the other robot's weapon. I want more stupid designs but the rules get in the way of that a lot, even as loosened up as they are. Give me a robot that's just twelve microbots designed to have 11 suck and die so the twelfth can win.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Tombstone - Escape Velocity
Razorback - Ghost Raptor
Complete Control - Warhead
Son of Whyachi - Poison Arrow

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

I want to see a bot kind of like that one that was just a hunk of wood on wheels, except it has a layer of wood as ablative armor to screw with the other robot's weapon. I want more stupid designs but the rules get in the way of that a lot, even as loosened up as they are. Give me a robot that's just twelve microbots designed to have 11 suck and die so the twelfth can win.

"Find the heavy one" *plays shell game while the heavy one flies over to the judges*

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grognan posted:

I think they put a lot of thought and design into this. As well as probably having a team of physics, material science, and mechanical science degree holding nerds that are into robots.

The chart itself is actually a pretty standard one. here's a less detailed version of the same thing:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Grognan posted:

I believe the robot combat is part of a class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

brb making my 2017 entry entirely out of cork.

• Locked thread