Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
looks like Terry is back in the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

They segmented the belt! Those bastards!

It's mostly the red eyes and bulging muscles that look weird with the suit.

Also, going off of this picture:

The red under his shoes, and whatever is going on with his face look really bad to me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Suicide Squad/Killer Croc cover is a Magnola/Hellboy homage, right?

Also I really dig that Batman Beyond cover. Neon futuristic 80's as my bag, and I can practically hear the Drive soundtrack pumping from it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I dig this cover for the Raven mini-series. I just hope it's better than the last one Marv Wolfman.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Why is Starfire back in the TT? Isn't she still around the Titans' team age more than TT?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kingtheninja posted:

Why is Starfire back in the TT? Isn't she still around the Titans' team age more than TT?

Because of the cartoons. Which I know doesn't make sense because Cyborg should also be a TT but that's essentially what we've been told.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

She's probably the den mother for the team.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 14, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Her childlike personality means she doesn't fit on the Gen X Titans.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That Batman Beyond design is really ugly. I feel like it runs counter-current to the entire point of the suit. It's not sleek. The bright red won't be blending into much. And the cowl makes him look like an old man.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Kingtheninja posted:

Probably going to be a mentor figure like she was in Justice League vs Teen Titans.

Speaking of which, if they go with that Raven/Damian pairing like in that, I'm going to find it incredibly creepy considering Damian is literally going to kidnap all the team members from the sound of things.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Isn't Damian also 13?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Where's a Young Heroes in Love revival, DC!?

Aphrodite posted:

Frank Cho's leaving the Wonder Woman covers job over issues with Rucka, so I guess expect tons more childish covers with Diana yelling "Outrage!" on them.

Cho is basically a living reddit post at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

Where's a Young Heroes in Love revival, DC!?

I was under the impression that they did not own the YHIL?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Uh. Did this get posted? http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/14/frank-cho-walks-off-wonder-woman-after-sixth-cover/#.V4e3ASKBJRV.twitter

Frank Cho posted:

All the problem lies with Greg Rucka.

EVERYONE loves my Wonder Woman covers and wants me to stay. Greg Rucka is the ONLY one who has any problem with covers. Greg Rucka has been trying to alter and censor my artwork since day one.

Greg Rucka thought my Wonder Woman #3 cover was vulgar and showed too much skin, and has been spearheading censorship, which is baffling since my Wonder Woman image is on model and shows the same amount of skin as the interior art, and it’s a VARIANT COVER and he should have no editorial control over it. (But he does. WTF?!!!)

I tried to play nice, not rock the boat and do my best on the covers, but Greg’s weird political agenda against me and my art has made that job impossible. Wonder Woman was the ONLY reason I came over to DC Comics.

To DC’s credit, especially [Art Director] Mark Chiarello, they have been very accommodating. But they are caught between a rock and a hard place.

I just wanted to be left alone and do my Wonder Woman variant covers in peace. But Greg Rucka is in a hostile power trip and causing unnecessary friction over variant covers.
:stare:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't believe Greg Ruka is a robocop.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I was under the impression that they did not own the YHIL?

Dan Raspler owns the art and stories, but DC owns the characters. So they could do a revival/reboot if they wanted to.

WickedHate posted:

:captainpop: :chanpop: :mrwhite: :chanpop: :captainpop:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That was a joke. I barely know who Greg Rucka even is.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Cho picks up a pencil to draw some WW panties and Rucka is all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THUSq0aWJXk

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #3

(W) Lobdell (A) Dexter Soy (CA) Giuseppe Camuncoli, Cam Smith (CA) Matteo Scalera
“Dark Trinity” part three! Red Hood and Artemis set aside their differences when they discover the powerful weapon that Black Mask has been after: a fully-formed clone of Superman! But what should they do with it? They can’t possibly let something this powerful fall into the hands of the nefarious Black Mask, and perhaps if they play their cards right, he could become a powerful ally…but is the risk worth the reward?
In Shops: Oct 12, 2016
SRP: $2.99

So pumped for this :allears:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So pumped for this :allears:

i'm going to read red hood and if it sucks i'm voting trump so you can't have anymore american comics.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'll be jumping on the Red Hood choo-choo as well and I think the element I'm most looking forward to will be Bizarro. Can't quite place why but I'll see how this all turns out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think it looks good! But I was also excited for Red Hood/Arsenal...

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The best thing I can say about it right now is that at least I don't care about Artemis and Bizarro nearly as much as I do Roy and Starfire.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Red Hood/Arsenal was good :colbert:

The final issue is one of Lobdell's best works on DC

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lobdell must have been really lovely at DC then.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Red Hood/Arsenal was good :colbert:

The final issue is one of Lobdell's best works on DC

Did it involve Joker's Daughter? If not I may check it out eventually. I checked out waaaaaaay before then.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

KittyEmpress posted:

Lobdell must have been really lovely at DC then.

Oh, no doubt.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've got whiplash from how quickly DC became interesting and Marvel became uninteresting.

I can't help but side with Rucka on this regardless of the situation, because Cho's whole "OUTRAGE" schtick is just so loving retarded. There's ways for him to respond to criticism about his art. He could try to create a discussion, try to change minds. Instead, what he does is a circlejerk for one side, and further instigates the other. On top of it, he profits from his faux-faux outrage (does that make sense? he has fake outrage over fake outrage?) with his cover sketches.

It's a shame, as an artist he has great technique, his art is really super clean. But all he loving draws are women, and the same build of woman too. I don't come at this as "outrage" over sexism in art, I'm just talking about the art, period. Everyone woman is built like... well, his perfect version of Diana.

I'm happy to see him gone as the cover artist. Not because I find his art sexist, I don't care about that. I just don't like his version of Diana. It is completely uninteresting to me. On the other hand, one reason I'm so loving excited for this run is because I absolutely adore Nicola Scott's Wonder Woman. Again, not because Nicola's Diana isn't sexist, not an issue with me. Just hits the character better. Diana is love, she is mercy, she's the best warrior on the planet but she also cares for you. I don't see any of that in Cho's artwork. In fact, all I see is a clay statue. (Oh poo poo nice reference there)

Does Rucka have the right to censor Cho's covers? Maybe. It's Rucka's book more than it is Cho's, at least. Is Rucka an entitled SJW rear end in a top hat? We've got one side of the story, but it is a very real possibility. But I'll take Rucka's art, and especially his take on women, over Cho any day. Not because Cho is going to offend me. He's just going to bore me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

This rant reads disturbingly like a Trump speech if you do the voice right and read it aloud.

"Everyone loves my drawings..." :smugdon:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TwoPair posted:

This rant reads disturbingly like a Trump speech if you do the voice right and read it aloud. "Everyone loves my drawings..."

I have the best boobs. Just tremendous, tremendous boobs, everyone agrees.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Frank Cho is such a gigantic man-baby. I guess we can expect a new wave of OUTRAGE! drawings with Wonder Woman beating up Greg Rucka with her enormous boobs or something.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
"Robocop Rucka is too much of a coward to respect my freedom of speech. Sad!"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Greg Rucka goes up in my estimation even more. I didn't think it was possible, but here we are.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

From what I've gathered, a lot of people are betting that part of DC's deal with Rucka to get him to come back to the work for hire realm after he so famously quit was editorial-level creative control of Wonder Woman, or at least some sort of veto. Most likely, editorial pushed for Cho to be the variant artist on this book, he didn't work out for whatever reason (due to being a diaper clad buffoon probably) and Rucka made some sort of request, either for him to be totally removed or for his work to be altered. DC figured that Rucka is the more valuable asset here, after all this is the dude who requested that Wonder Woman be removed from control of Eddie Berganza's editorial clutches and DC actually did it, so they listened. Looks like they just cropped the panty cover at first and Cho upended his mush onto his high seat, and let the door hit his rear end.

Basically, in no way is this censorship.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like Cho's art and think his Wonder Woman covers have been quite good. That being said it's Rucka's book and if he thinks the covers don't represent his book for whatever reason that should be his call.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Lightning Lord posted:

Basically, in no way is this censorship.

I have trouble finding this on any level to be censorship. DC owns Wonder Woman. Cho is a work-for-hire artist. If DC isn't happy with something in his art, they can change it, or they can not use his art. It's business. Censorship would be DC preventing Cho from doing more dumb-poo poo blank cover faux-faux-outrage sketches with DC characters.

Cho is free to draw his Wonder Woman, the way he likes. He just won't be paid by DC to do it. But no, CENSORSHIP whaaaa :cry:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
To be absolutely totally honest, I feel like the original Cho cover is actually less risque than what they ended up trimming it to. In the original you can at least tell that she's wearing underwear. In the cropped one it's almost like her butt is bared.

In any case, to be clear -- as far as I can understand the sitch -- Cho wasn't fired. He quit.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The only argument I can see is that they shouldn't have cropped his art or modified it without his permission. Either use it as drawn or don't use it.

That said, a minor crop is pretty standard and it's STILL not censorship either way, just maybe something an artist might take issue with even if they aren't Frank Cho.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

X-O posted:

I like Cho's art and think his Wonder Woman covers have been quite good.

Yeah, I actually like the proportions of his women, even if it is super cheesecake-y most of the time. Which makes it even sadder that he's such an unlikable, whiny rear end in a top hat who is probably drawing hate-art of Rucka at this very moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Somewhere there's an alternate universe where Frank Cho isn't a scumbag and is hailed as a progressive artist for his inspiring and not-skinny representations of tall women with powerful thighs and broad shoulders.